Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

33 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Wednesday of this week is the switch day when the average high temperature finally starts to go down instead of up.

Narrator: yet somehow the temps didnt start going down until they reached 127 in October

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Grass Valley/Nevada City a pretty area last time I was there.  Yuba river quite the neat area to explore.   This probably  doesn't help you much in your decision.  All CR talk aside, California is expensive.  It just is.   But sure, the Sierra Nevada foothills have four seasons.  Parts of it got bombed pretty bad with snow this last winter though from my understanding.  Like not getting out of your neighborhood snow.

Oh, I remember 2021

• Rage+1 1

Looking at the extended forecast, the old adage "it's always darkest before the dawn" comes to mind. 9 or 10 more days ahead that will be worse than the 40 that preceded them.

Popped down to the neighborhood brewery earlier to grab some beers to go and the walk across the parking lot was probably the hottest feeling I've ever experienced in Houston. Like, so hot, if on my way out, I discovered my truck had a flat tire, I'd take an Uber home and just leave it there for an indeterminate amount of time. Reminded me of a trip about a decade ago where my family insanely decided to spend July 4th weekend in Phoenix. One day we went to the movies to kill some time and the bottom my shoes started melting on the walk through the freshly blacktopped parking lot.

"But it's Summer in Texas and it's supposed to be hot! Pop Pop spent 23 hours a day mining asbestos deep underground and went home to a shack without AC and hopped in the shared bed with Grandma and their 26 kids. Never once heard him complain, but then again, folks were tougher in those days."

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Popped down to the neighborhood brewery earlier to grab some beers to go and the walk across the parking lot was probably the hottest feeling I've ever experienced in Houston. Like, so hot, if on my way out, I discovered my truck had a flat tire, I'd take an Uber home and just leave it there for an indeterminate amount of time.

Yep, I consider today to probably be the most miserable "hot day" of my life.  It's just so goddamn horrible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The long-term model for GFS (https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/) continues to show... well not the end of the blastfurnace, but at least not 105+ starting around next Tuesday. More like 98-102.

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Wednesday of this week is the switch day when the average high temperature finally starts to go down instead of up.

Screenshot_20230806_142809_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0ba0442631c8eae602969bdcda999e0f.jpg

War News GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 2

[mention=558]4th_and_18[/mention]As in there are no “Green Acres” in this blast furnace.

My sarcasm meter doesn’t work in this heat. Store brand model. When I was dropping off water and Gatorade today everyone looked exhausted. They are down to working on hotspots and praying for no flare-ups.

The Davis Mtns fire is almost out. This was last night. Posted from Indian Lodge. 066ebcea0f3bb239f6a9dd2a4b4dfa9e.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Every time I leave the house I regret it. I get the yard work done in the morning when it's still bearable and I'm still dripping with sweat within 15 minutes. Thankfully we have huge Oaks in the front. Need some shade in the back though.

Buying a house with a pool in a neighborhood with mature trees and shade is proving to be a good decision.

Played Wolf Dancer today. Teed off at 1:05 and it was 99, but “feels like” 102. Around the 13th hole it was 104, “feels like” 109. When we left it was 102, “feels like “ 106.
Shot an 82, finished in 3:45.

Was this the front or back nine?
  • Haha 3

On 8/5/2023 at 4:53 PM, Gatorubet said:

Left work early yesterday and was home by about 3:30.   Changed clothes right away and went outside and mowed the front and backyard. Nope, not a riding mower. Temp was apparently 98 and humidity about 61.

Not one of my better decisions as it turned out.

Yes, I am a wimp.  But I felt like crap Saturday as well as today after I’d been outside about a half hour.  it was like my ability to function in the heat have been impaired by Friday’s stupidity. 

I can function in this heat for a pretty extended period of time.  Just have to stay hydrated.  Again, the more you're exposed to it, the "easier" it is.  Also bought a little cheapo misting system for a patio umbrella at Lowe's.  You can always use that to cool down while working outside. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I can function in this heat for a pretty extended period of time.  Just have to stay hydrated.  Again, the more you're exposed to it, the "easier" it is.  Also bought a little cheapo misting system for a patio umbrella at Lowe's.  You can always use that to cool down while working outside. 

For whatever reason, I have never sweated much. Even in high school football practices in Florida in August. Everybody else would be soaked with sweat, and I’ll be walking around pulling my jersey up and down trying to fan myself and not to pass out.  

Maybe it’s the Swedish genes.  But since I don’t sweat near as much as almost everybody I know, when I get hot in very high humidity I have a terrible time cooling down.   That’s why God made cold beer and AC. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Okie State said:
4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:
Need one of these over the whole house, probably pay itself off within a month or two of lowered A/C costs.
81cJ4PLBafL.jpg

Trying to figure out how to rig some up to give us mid-day shade over the pool.

4x4's with tension wire to hook on the grommets. Most pools in Dubai had them. I cover my planting table with one.  Working on a rig on my raised beds for harsh summer months. Fuckers work. 

4x4's with tension wire to hook on the grommets. Most pools in Dubai had them. I cover my planting table with one.  Working on a rig on my raised beds for harsh summer months. Fuckers work. 
Yeah I'd like to use steel 4x4's with wire cable and make them retractable. A project for between Summers because I ain't digging post holes out there right now.

11 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

So all of these fires popping up are manmade, yes?

I think they say something like 80-90% are caused by idiots.  Spark from a tool, chain dragging on a truck and sparking, hot car parked in tall grass, some moron starting a campfire, cigarette.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

We've been lucky so far that with the proliferation of homeless camps that none of their fires have gotten sideways. I remember the Oak Hill / Scenic Brook wildfire in 2011 was started by a guy cooking breakfast or something. 

I think one out here in California was started by a gender reveal party.  The big one in Portland was started by fireworks 

Thinking of various shade ideas and I think I'm going to put some rolling shades on the outside of our patio so that we can at least knock out some of the afternoon sun that streams through our French doors.  I also like those retractable awnings but no easy way to put it anywhere outside on that patio.

Breakdown of the forcefield keeps getting pushed back. As of this past weekend, forecast had lower high temps and rain chances set to kick in by Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Now looking to stay hot and dry at least through next Thursday. Triple digits until then. 

Insane that I'm actually excited to see a chance 11 DAYS AWAY of 97/79 with 58% chance of showers.