Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

15 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Speaking of hot women at Austin public pools.  PSA for you gents since they're only open for another week.  Westenfield Pool.  I'm guessing she's the daughter of some MILF of Tarrytown...we're not well enough off to live that area, but we use that pool for swim lessons.  But she's a lifeguard and she talks about college with the other coaches so at least she's of age.  And don't pretend you don't have google or know who this is off-hand, but this woman looks just like Emma Hix, the adult actress/post implants.  I mean she could put the baywatch cast to shame in her red lifeguard suit.  not like you look around and think, "Welp, I guess she's the most attractive woman here given all the older moms and grandmas doing aquatic aerobics."  I mean, knockout, 10 outta 10, could be an actress instead of skimming public pools.  If you have the chance this week, go by this pool.  She's the tall blonde who literally is Emma Hix-level hot with a body that could stop a train.   /csb

Also folks, remember this time of year to stay properly hydrated.  

IMG_7686.jpeg

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

I had to poop exactly once during the decade I went to ROT…I rode all the way back to my house in Pflugerville vs trying to use a porta potty shared by hundreds of sweaty, beer-swilling middle aged weekend warriors.  

Also…have a feeling ACL is going to be brutal this year 

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Austin should be replacing and repairing their neighborhood pools as needed.  Westenfield Pool was redone around 2015 for something like $3 million, at about the same time as the city redid Bartholomew Pool for about $5.5 million .  Westenfield looks almost exactly like the pool in the picture that was posted.  Seems like chump change for a city that is spending $7 billion on a rail system.

In 2018, the city created a master plan to renovate pools and build 3-4 regional swim centers around town, with some capable of hosting swim meets.  The 154 page proposal, with hundreds of pages of appendices and comments, is here:

https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Parks/Planning_and_Development/Austin_Aquatic_Master_Plan_Final_reduced_March_2018.pdf

It's sitting on the shelf, nothing is happening.  Seems like a reasonable investment to me.  Why the city creates these master plans and then does nothing with them is a mystery to me.

They repaired and replaced Shipe pool in about 2019 as part of this plan. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texasdago said:

Its that time of year when I see a handful of clouds and wonder, "I hope that's not smoke"

Yeah, wtf are all these clouds for?  Any clouds in the morning have usually burned away by now, but looking out my downtown office window I see a lot of clouds and little blue sky. 

44 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, wtf are all these clouds for?  Any clouds in the morning have usually burned away by now, but looking out my downtown office window I see a lot of clouds and little blue sky. 

I saw them coming over from the Circle C park/watershed land direction and was skeptical but man it felt good this morning.

14 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Yea I don’t miss helping my uncle do some roofing one summer when he was here from Mexico. That shit was brutal and those things were hell on earth. I also felt like I got paid in schrute bucks while that mofo loved a king in Mexico after 3 months of work here. 

IMG_6518.jpeg

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, yoladu said:

cracks me up that one would build a pool and then want to build a shade structure over it.

i guess that is what it has come to.

Most resorts in hot places have been doing that for years. In the Middle East they do that and cool the water. I used to have one over my planting tables. 

Seriously, what are yall doing with the kids during this shit? I don't want a kid glued to TV and video games, but fuck, what else are they supposed to do?

I think that's my biggest irritation with this (and there is a lot). I can't just tell the kid to go play outside. 

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Seriously, what are yall doing with the kids during this shit? I don't want a kid glued to TV and video games, but fuck, what else are they supposed to do?

I think that's my biggest irritation with this (and there is a lot). I can't just tell the kid to go play outside. 

We've been taking ours outside from about 9:30-10:30 am to jump on the trampoline in our shaded backyard area.  Then they'll come in and eat lunch and go down for their naps.  Then take them to an interactive learning place during the afternoon for a bit where they play on an indoor gym and do other creative puzzle solving things.  Then dinner, then outside again from 7-8.  

Got to get them outside, but preferably in the shade and preferably when the sun isn't high.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Have lived in some hot places. During the day it was puzzles and games. Lego was a big one. About an hour before sunset take them out and let them run their asses off. When I could during the day I would take them to the beach or here in Texas a river. 

It is not easy, and agree, sitting inside sucks, but so does dehydration. Keep them drinking water. 

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

It is fucked.  You can either take them to an indoor bacteria farm like Urban Air where they are guaranteed to be sick within 48 hrs, or take them to the movies where they sit on their ass just like they would at home.  We are very lucky to have a pool in the back yard but even that is only good starting at about 5:30; before then it’s too damn hot even in the water.  My kids have been home this week and they haven’t been outside before 5pm.  Luckily they are girls and play really well together so it’s been hours on end of play kitchen/restaurant and Barbie bullshit.  But definitely nothing like my summers as a kid where I was pretty much outside by 10am and only came in for lunch and supper.

• Hook 'Em 2

Semi-related, I started a new energy plan at the start of the month. It pays me 90% of SPP prices of any energy my solar panels export. I've been using my battery system to try and maximize the value for the times I export. So far this month I've gotten paid $42 on exports, at an average price of $.49 per kWH (versus $.11 for what I use). The higher average is driven by multiple periods of time where SPP prices exceed $1.00 per kWH, up to a high so far of $3.00 per kWH.

In short, we are fucked. But I may pay for my utility bills for the year.  

20 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

We've been taking ours outside from about 9:30-10:30 am to jump on the trampoline in our shaded backyard area.  Then they'll come in and eat lunch and go down for their naps.  Then take them to an interactive learning place during the afternoon for a bit where they play on an indoor gym and do other creative puzzle solving things.  Then dinner, then outside again from 7-8.  

Got to get them outside, but preferably in the shade and preferably when the sun isn't high.  

He may have a job, though. 

32 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I hear my boys complaining about going or not going to Peter Pan.  Shoot... my answer is always 1) pool 2) gym 3) pool 4) Barton Springs and not necessarily in that order.  Otherwise, if they don't like those ideas its pool.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Fair question.  This was really the first summer we just were fucking baffled.  And I'm confused easily, obviously.  But summer of 2019, the little one couldn't do shit anyway.  Summer of 2020 & 2021, it was Covid but thankfully mild outside so they'd play in cul-de-sac and backyard and neighbor pools.  No real play dates but between beach and fishing and bikes 'n neighborhood park...it was okay.  Last summer got to be a bit of a challenge because it was to hot outside but they spent like two months in Colorado & Kansas so it worked out okay.  This summer, been lots of swimming and sports camp now that they're both older but most days when there's nothing happening and we just have to say, "Oh, you're bored and cranky and it's 109* outside"?  It was one thing to act like our parents and tell 'em to piss off and go outside and just play through the struggle but to their credit, it's fucking insane outside.  Deathly serious and dangerous within 30 minutes.  Fucking crazy.  So we try to use shaded pools and a couple hours of indoor recreation and playdates and what-not.  But yeah, old-school Lobo...came to terms with you can't just tell them to go outside and be kids while daddy gets work done.  This morning, I saw a hawk/vulture (not sure) probably severely dehydrated, pick up a squirrel and circle around our backyard.  It was high up in a tree starting to peck at what was obviously a dying/dead squirrel.  Girls and I were practicing volleyball.  Fucking thing just dropped dead outta the tree line with the squirrel still inside its mouth.  I had to wait until they went in for pancakes to shovel the shit up.  We're all forged of a hotter fire like Wheeler in the old days of Texas, but summer is just fucking insane.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

they read, practice piano, and do their work (assigned by us) during the day.  in the early evenings they have jiu jitsu, soccer, or baseball practice.  we go to the pool after dinner or if they don't have soccer/baseball we go to the pool before dinner. 

31 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

There's a bar that allows dogs inside. That and the complex dog park at 10 pm are the only places my pup gets any time with others.

Mine have turned the backyard into a scene from the Oklahoma dustbowl. I only water what I can eat. Grass is fucked. 

Get your pup a buddy. 

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah, that's what sucks with all of this and is a big part of us considering moving.

Do stuff in the mornings before 10:30-ish, then inside until late in the afternoon - doing some homework (we got some of those "prep" books for their upcoming grade-levels), doing some crafts, way too much TV/iPad/Switch, then eat dinner and then a neighborhood pool, then bed.

Fuck. The long-range GFS model that was showing something next Tues/Wed for a pattern change then pushed it off until the weekend... and now it's not even there. Showing 102+ until at least the end of August.
Fuck this shit. Holy fuck it fucking sucks.

Username checks out. This goes on repeat well into September even in normal years, which you may have realized is not what we’re dealing with.

8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Username checks out. This goes on repeat well into September even in normal years, which you may have realized is not what we’re dealing with.

Yep, we are already at 49 days of 100+ degrees, and I think we are at 33 days in a row of 100+ degrees, so we should hit 50 days in a row of 100+ degrees with no problem, and we are definitely going to push the all-time record of 100-degree days

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep, we are already at 49 days of 100+ degrees, and I think we are at 33 days in a row of 100+ degrees, so we should hit 50 days in a row of 100+ degrees with no problem, and we are definitely going to push the all-time record of 100-degree days

Year Rank Days >= 100 °F
2011 1 74
1925 2 69
1923 3 65
2009 4 55
2022 5 53

You think Austin has 26 more 100 days? 

22 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

8 more years until my youngest is out of the house.  Moving to a reasonable climate planning has commenced. 

I want to do it while my kids can enjoy where ever we move.

The holdout in the house is my wife (for a financial/pension reason or two, but we are working out it out) - the kids are more than open to moving, as they can keep in touch with their friends electronically. That's what's been the shock to me, they are pretty much done with it, and while they are still in elementary, they are still cool with moving. I hated it when I was their age.