Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I want to do it while my kids can enjoy where ever we move.

The holdout in the house is my wife (for a financial/pension reason or two, but we are working out it out) - the kids are more than open to moving, as they can keep in touch with their friends electronically. That's what's been the shock to me, they are pretty much done with it, and while they are still in elementary, they are still cool with moving. I hated it when I was their age.

Yeah, I hate my kid thinking it's normal to just be inside all the time during the summer. 

My wife is the holdout due to family ties. She'd also have to figure out work as her job depends on being in Austin. I'd rather lose her income and just live modestly than deal with this shit. We've always been savers so we could easily do it.

The kid says he doesn't want to move, but he is young enough that I also know in three days he will forget we ever lived in Texas.

I could smell it last night. Couldn't figure it out because of the wind direction

Same here. I did a little yard work last night and could smell it. But the wind direction didn’t make sense for any advertised fires. Who knows. Was afraid circle c park was on fire at first which would be bad for me

17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep, we are already at 49 days of 100+ degrees, and I think we are at 33 days in a row of 100+ degrees, so we should hit 50 days in a row of 100+ degrees with no problem, and we are definitely going to push the all-time record of 100-degree days

we'll see.. we have already broken the record for the number of days of 105 or more for a summer this year.

Going to shatter it, consider the 7 day forcast. From kvue.com

A quick summary of events so far this summer: Today will be our 50th triple-digit day of the summer so far, but more importantly, our 28th day at or above 105 degrees. That’s the most ever recorded in Austin, and we have seven more days over 105 lined up in the forecast.

We are now confident that through the first two weeks of August, this will rank as the hottest in Austin’s history. Yes, even hotter than 2011. We continue to climb the leaderboard for the overall hottest summer on record having recently passed 2022 for the #2 spot. We may take the #1 spot by the end of this month.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Didn't make sense to me.  Saw that maybe a few days ago there was a brush fire off of SW Parkway but it must have been small... wasn't even aware it happened.

2 hours ago, Updawg said:

Same here. I did a little yard work last night and could smell it. But the wind direction didn’t make sense for any advertised fires. Who knows. Was afraid circle c park was on fire at first which would be bad for me

i could smell it over in manchaca. saw something last night that there was a fire at 1826 and william cannon. i dunno, it was breezy which makes me nervous. i back up to a greenbelt which is wonderful until my wonderful wife says last night "you know that's just a tinderbox back there? that catches on fire and we are fucked" which was mildly terrifying 

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i could smell it over in manchaca. saw something last night that there was a fire at 1826 and william cannon. i dunno, it was breezy which makes me nervous. i back up to a greenbelt which is wonderful until my wonderful wife says last night "you know that's just a tinderbox back there? that catches on fire and we are fucked" which was mildly terrifying 

Yeah, we live in a neighborhood with a great firebreak thanks to a pipeline or two... oh, wait... 

Grasping at straws here, but at least the days are getting shorter. Currently losing an average of 90 seconds of sunlight each day.  A week from today will be the last day of the year with a sunset past 8:00. By Labor Day, that'll be down to around 7:45. 

Less time each day spent at peak high temps. Baby steps.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Weather records in Austin have only been kept since the 1890s, and the Earth is about 4.5 Billion years old, and had at least 5 global ice-ages.
So weather "records" are relative to only the minuscule time on this planet that weather measurements first had to exist, and then measurements and observations were recorded.

Uncle Joe? When did you find internet not named Facebook?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Grasping at straws here, but at least the days are getting shorter. Currently losing an average of 90 seconds of sunlight each day.  A week from today will be the last day of the year with a sunset past 8:00. By Labor Day, that'll be down to around 7:45. 

Less time each day spent at peak high temps. Baby steps.

I would much prefer we stick with daylight whatever time makes the sun go down at a reasonable hour. Full sunlight at 8:00 pm is silly.

edit- it’s standard time, much better than this daylight savings shit

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

Great. The last snowstorm went well!

Luckily strong El Ninos don't typically bring the extreme cold with "fuck you" events direct from the Arctic Circle we've seen the last few years.

El Nino is more like a frontal low moving in from the west with initial cold rain transitioning to snow overnight which is melted in <36 hours. Temps never getting below 30.

Or just cold ass drenching rain with low clouds and grey skies- I'd take that please.

• Like 1

So we're hoping all the heavily-paved and developed urban areas that have, as part of millennia-old trends, suddenly burst into flames recently will be conveniently snuffed out in October by bizarrely-timed snowfall?  Yeah that's totally fucking normal, let's go with that.  

Oh what's that, half of Maui has been burned to ashes?  And the ocean is actually too fucking hot to make hurricanes right now?  But there was an ice age 50,000 years ago which should come as great comfort to farmers in the Midwest and Great Plains who report they will be delivering less than half their usual soybean yield this year.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Longhornstampede said:

Guessing this has something to do with the heat maybe? Screenshot_20230810-172504.thumb.png.917e021fdf4cd71ad7f9ae4f1b5dc3d9.png

Maybe

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/bastrop-county/bcso-investigating-after-three-people-found-dead-in-hole/

Sheriff Maurice Cook said a man from Red Rock led three people from Florida on a hog hunt and called deputies for help at about 1:02 a.m. Wednesday. The man reported three people trapped in a hole in the 300 block of New Trail, which is close to County Road 461 in northern Bastrop County

The hole turned out to be a cistern that had standing water in it about six to eight feet below ground level. The sheriff said the hunting guide told deputies that a dog escaped from a truck and fell into the cistern. One man apparently jumped into the hole to save the dog, and another man and a woman removed some of their clothes and dove in later. The cistern had a high amount of hydrogen sulfide gas built up inside it, so Cook said that likely killed the three people and the dog.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

So we're hoping all the heavily-paved and developed urban areas that have, as part of millennia-old trends, suddenly burst into flames recently will be conveniently snuffed out in October by bizarrely-timed snowfall?  Yeah that's totally fucking normal, let's go with that.  

Oh what's that, half of Maui has been burned to ashes?  And the ocean is actually too fucking hot to make hurricanes right now?  But there was an ice age 50,000 years ago which should come as great comfort to farmers in the Midwest and Great Plains who report they will be delivering less than half their usual soybean yield this year.  

Sad America GIF

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Snow is supposed to stay out there in west Texas, maybe even the DFW area.  The rest of us can't handle that shit either.

Eh it’ll be probably be a nothing burger mostly. Snow that melts quickly without causing too many issues. 

The rain is the good news. If it ever makes it. C’mon equatorial Pacific Ocean, do the thing again.

4 hours ago, txduck87 said:

Coming in from Houston tomorrow to move the boy into his apartment on west campus. It’s a dry heat up there so not too bad right Austin folk? Should I bring a jacket for when it cools down in the evenings?

I was by west campus this morning.  Feels nice in the morning.  You will die in the afternoon.  Thoughts and prayers 

• Hook 'Em 1

Something similar regarding distance, but no way would anyone else move. It would essentially be pulling up all roots and starting over somewhere new.
The fact that I've lived in this state for four decades and am seriously considering just up and leaving based on weather alone (there are certainly other aspects of Texas I take issue with) sounds crazy to me. But that's how insane this heat has gotten. I'm tired of planning so much of my life around the weather. 
"Oh, I don't want to do that until after the sun goes down."
"Nope, not parking here, let me see if I can find a shady spot instead."
"I'll get to those house projects in October when it's not so damn hot."

It be one thing if it was a heat "wave." But this shit never ends.

This where I’m at. I love being outside and I love the idea of summer, but every summer here is fucking miserable and they seem to be getting worse. It’s depressing.

My wife and I have both lived our entire lives in various parts of Texas, currently in DFW. Most of our family and friends are here, all within 2-4 hours driving distance. We have a young child and it would be nice for her to grow up near grandparents and cousins. Our parents will soon enter that age in life where health problems will be more of a concern and it would be nice to be near them when serious stuff inevitably occurs. It’s hard to walk away from all of that, not to mention building a new social network from scratch.

But every summer I think “Am I really going to endure this shit for the rest of my life? Why subject myself to that level of misery?”

I love the beach and I love the mountains. Texas has neither. All we have is an inferno every summer. It’s fantastic to spend all day inside for 2 months straight, hoping like hell the AC doesn’t give up.

Colorado appeals to me because of the mountains, skiing, and hiking. I think I would quickly bitch about the long cold winters though.

Southern California seems close to perfect, other than it’s crowded af and cost of living is crazy. Also kinda far from St. Barth and Europe, both of which I like to frequent.

North Carolina seems nice. Don’t particularly care for the east coast but I think that’s more the wankers that live in New England. Maybe a place like Wilmington would be a happy medium.

I feel stuck.
  • Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

This where I’m at. I love being outside and I love the idea of summer, but every summer here is fucking miserable and they seem to be getting worse. It’s depressing.

My wife and I have both lived our entire lives in various parts of Texas, currently in DFW. Most of our family and friends are here, all within 2-4 hours driving distance. We have a young child and it would be nice for her to grow up near grandparents and cousins. Our parents will soon enter that age in life where health problems will be more of a concern and it would be nice to be near them when serious stuff inevitably occurs. It’s hard to walk away from all of that, not to mention building a new social network from scratch.

But every summer I think “Am I really going to endure this shit for the rest of my life? Why subject myself to that level of misery?”

I love the beach and I love the mountains. Texas has neither. All we have is an inferno every summer. It’s fantastic to spend all day inside for 2 months straight, hoping like hell the AC doesn’t give up.

Colorado appeals to me because of the mountains, skiing, and hiking. I think I would quickly bitch about the long cold winters though.

Southern California seems close to perfect, other than it’s crowded af and cost of living is crazy. Also kinda far from St. Barth and Europe, both of which I like to frequent.

North Carolina seems nice. Don’t particularly care for the east coast but I think that’s more the wankers that live in New England. Maybe a place like Wilmington would be a happy medium.

I feel stuck.

Leave the country.  That's my plan once the kids are off the dole.

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Running dogs at night chasing hogs?  Did they or anyone in the party own the land?  If so, how was a massive cistern in the middle of a dried, open field not communicated to the group?  Awful, awful story all around

10 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I feel stuck.

Lived in Colorado.  Live in SoCal.  Buddy lives in Wilmington.  Would take all 3 over almost anywhere in Texas. 

17 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Lived in Colorado.  Live in SoCal.  Buddy lives in Wilmington.  Would take all 3 over almost anywhere in Texas. 

I grew up on the North Carolina coast.  It can get brutal in the summer, and even if temperatures stay in the 90s, the Houston-like humidity can make it feel worse.  But, it's a matter of weeks, not months.  If I wasn't chained to Texas, I'd definitely consider Wilmington. 

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I grew up on the North Carolina coast.  It can get brutal in the summer, and even if temperatures stay in the 90s, the Houston-like humidity can make it feel worse.  But, it's a matter of weeks, not months.  If I wasn't chained to Texas, I'd definitely consider Wilmington. 

Never been but have heard the beaches are a little better than ours.  Also, you're closish to DC which to me is an upgrade over any Texas city.

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Never been but have heard the beaches are a little better than ours.  Also, you're closish to DC which to me is an upgrade over any Texas city.

I think the N.C. beaches are a lot better than the Texas beaches, but I'd say closer to Texas than the Florida Gulf Coast beaches. 

And it's still a haul to D.C.  I went there once for a senior year field trip.  The drive is the better part of the waking day.

I've heard Wilmington is nice and we have a friend who has a house there and moved there permanently but keep in mind that Wilmington and the coast is susceptible to the same hurricane issues as the Gulf Coast. I think you only have to go back as far as 2018 to see what I mean

True on the hurricanes.  We lived through three during my time on the coast, but I recall by the time they hit North Carolina they don't have the devastation that hits Florida.  Though our last year there (1993) the hurricane winds snapped a tree branch in our yard that fell right on my car and totaled it.

I've been thinking more Raleigh/Chapel Hill. Seems to be the best of all worlds being near a major university, a major/capital city, rain in the summer, fall colors, not too cold in the winter. A few hours west to the hills and mountains. A few hours east to the beach.

That said, I've never visited that part of the state. Hell, I'd root for Mack Brown if it meant I don't have to go through these summers.