America has a Moscow Mitch problem

Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Oh, the next guy will be worse for sure. The question is will they be as effective.

So your question is whether John Cornyn or John Thune be as effective as McConnell, but I don’t know what “effective” means in the context of the modern GOP.

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

fuck Mitch McConnell. Step down today, you coward.

If there's any chance of Ukraine aid before the election, plus continuing to fund the government, he needs to stick around for the next 9 months.  No guarantee the next GOP Senate leader will play ball on it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If there's any chance of Ukraine aid before the election, plus continuing to fund the government, he needs to stick around for the next 9 months.  No guarantee the next GOP Senate leader will play ball on it. 

This.

Some of y'all seem not to realize that whoever replaces Mitch, it will be worse, and will leave us longing for the kind, humane, even-handed leadership of Mitch.

Remember how many of us thought Rick Perry was a shit governor.....and now, we'd trade him for Abbott in a heartbeat?  Never forget the GQP rule: it only gets worse.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Imagine living in world where you need Mitch McConnell, holy shit but here we are. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

This.

Some of y'all seem not to realize that whoever replaces Mitch, it will be worse, and will leave us longing for the kind, humane, even-handed leadership of Mitch.

Remember how many of us thought Rick Perry was a shit governor.....and now, we'd trade him for Abbott in a heartbeat?  Never forget the GQP rule: it only gets worse.

When Stephen Miller is president we will look back fondly and with longing at the Trump Administration.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

He/she will be, on the surface. But I'd think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone as crafty as McConnell.

I figure it will be like the House speaker where they just can't keep people in line.

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

So your question is whether John Cornyn or John Thune be as effective as McConnell, but I don’t know what “effective” means in the context of the modern GOP.

It’ll be somebody like Ted Cruz, who is willing to suck up to MAGA.  He will then spend his time trying to boost his podcast numbers.  

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm just slightly gratified to see Mitch McConnell live to see himself drummed out of the party that he did a lot to create.

Revolutions always eat their young, do they not?

It is and that’s true, but his use and cultivation of power for its own sake has an LBJ/Robert Moses quality and it’s not like McConnell to go out in the national stage and say “uncle.”
His trade over the last few years was to let Donald Trump keep the job in order to remake the judiciary. I believe that looking back he thinks he bought a pig in a poke, and I wonder if by setting the game of thrones in motion between Cornyn, Barrasso, Thune and the half dozen pretenders he’s got one more hand to play.
Mitch would never do something to harm the interests of the GOP as he sees them. But at the very least I expect that he’ll do everything he can to square accounts on his way out. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm just slightly gratified to see Mitch McConnell live to see himself drummed out of the party that he did a lot to create.

As I said in the other thread, I don’t think Mitch bails if he thought he’d be the majority leader next January - he probably has a few more things he’d like to push through, but he’s seen the writing on the wall.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s really sad when the best you can muster is: “When the chips were down he chose America and freedom over Russia.” 

But at this point that’s a gotdam GOP statesman. 

But did he really?

I really fucking hated this guy during the Obama administration. He went out of his way to make Obama’s life hell for seemingly no good reason. He would even kill his own bills or bills he previously supported if Obama supported them. Preventing Obama from filling the hated Antonin Scalia’s Supreme Court seat was highway robbery right in plain sight of millions of Americans. It’s disgusting and disappointing that McConnell never suffered any repercussions from this. The republicans prove they value party over country everytime they come to work, but they really showed everyone their true colors when they filled RBG’s seat very quickly after she passed.

watching McConnell fail on Obamacare repeal will always be my favorite McConnell moment. Watching him give his speech to the president and the American people with egg on his face was priceless.

We would always marvel at how effective Nancy pelosi was as house speaker. She make’s Republican house speakers look like total idiots with how effectively she runs the house. Begrudgingly. I’ll admit that McConnell was the senate version of pelosi. It seemed like he would always be the guy to push something through that needed to get done. That’s why it was so nice to watch him fail on Obamacare repeal.

with that said,  McConnell was rarely the voice of reason in Kentucky and in that small aspect he will be missed. When Beshear won his  first governor race, Kentucky republicans were scrambling and running around like chickens with their heads cut off until Mitch spoke out and said “ look guys….. Beshear won. Get over it”. 

in 2020 redistricting, McConnell once again spoke out while Kentucky was crafting their map and said that the democrats “should receive a district”.  Without the presence of McConnell, we might not have a democrat governor or a democrat house member because the rest of the Kentucky republicans are so bat shit crazy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

He can't represent the MAGAites with his record

Paxton is going to make sure MAGA knows that.  If Cornyn gets the spot, I assume he sticks around after 2026.

I would like to see Paxton try and run against him.  He’s not really faced anybody like Cornyn (has he really faced anybody since his accident?) and even tangling with the smaller fish of the Texas legislature is proving to be a challenge for Paxton.

I have a theory that people like Paxton and Abbott who had accidents in their younger years that left them messed up are angry at the world.

3 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I’ll be rooting for Cornyn.We aren’t going to get a better R senator.  Last time Texans held the seats of power, LBJ and Sam Rayburn made sure we got paid. 

Oh, I agree -- Cornyn is absolutely the best we can do.

It's just like hoping we get a stale baloney sandwich with piss-soaked bread, because all the other options include layers of shit.

4 hours ago, Satchel said:

Mitch did some evil shit during his reign, but denying Obama’s SC pick a hearing for nearly a year was the most despicable, imo.

Yeah, he said ‘Fuck the Constitution. And then the bald-faced hypocrisy of rushing Amy Coney Barrett through at the list minute was the flip-side of that despicable coin. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I’ll be rooting for Cornyn.We aren’t going to get a better R senator.  Last time Texans held the seats of power, LBJ and Sam Rayburn made sure we got paid. 

ulimately, that was what mcconnell was most effective at.  virginia got the most dollars per capita from the federal government, for what should be obvious reasons.  second most?  KY.  mitch lubed up the rest of the united states and got us to give $18,743 net per kentuckian in 2021.

https://rockinst.org/issue-areas/fiscal-analysis/balance-of-payments-portal/

11 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I think Thune would do a better job, but Barrasso would be downright terrible.

20 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

He's the best hope for this country in this circumstance.  That's how far we've fallen.  We're hoping for the creator of this to guide the ship through stormy seas:

EqC1e6IWMAEVku9.jpg:large

JFC spoiler that shit. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 6:16 PM, Ghost of LL said:

Need more ice axes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/29/2024 at 5:41 PM, Brisketexan said:

Oh, I agree -- Cornyn is absolutely the best we can do.

It's just like hoping we get a stale baloney sandwich with piss-soaked bread, because all the other options include layers of shit.

image.gif.93ddee1f0bff8cd5dab7375beaacd8b0.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Angela Chao's blood alcohol level was .233, three times the legal limit.

The BBC reporting has some crazy:

She had invited seven girlfriends from her days at Harvard Business School to spend the weekend at the 900-acre ranch.

They had attended a concert by rapper Pitbull in Austin the night beforehand, according to the police report.

After dinner at the guest lodge on the night of her death she headed back to the main house.

But during a three-point turn she accidentally reversed the Model X SUV into a pond.

A friend, Amber Keinan, told detectives Ms Chao had called her at 23:42 and said the car was in the water and she was trapped inside.

"Chao told Keinan the water was rising and she was going to die and said 'I love you,'" the report says. "Chao then said her good byes to Keinan."

The conversation lasted eight minutes.

The police report describes how friends and police tried to save her. Some of the friends were "screaming frantically" at the deputies from the pondside.

She had enough time to call her friends and say goodbye, all because her Tesla had unbreakable windows that sealed her into a watery grave

Edited by Captainant