Which cruise lines are trashiest?

Your Mom

I’m being roped into taking my mom on a cruise with some other family for her 80th birthday. I’ve never been on a cruise. I don’t want to go on a cruise.  

What cruise lines and ports do I avoid to minimize my exposure to trashy people. And which do I seek out instead? 

After watching cruisers disembark from the pier in Cozumel a couple of weeks ago, I would have to say Carnival and Disney have to be the run away leaders on 400 lb. bald guys with tribal tattoos, and 250 lb. wives in thong bikinis. 

I have only went on one cruise. It was the Alaskan cruise on Celebrity. It was pretty good. But I really don't ever want to go on another, but that would be the one to go on. The time in port is way too short. Not really enough time to do anything but their shitty excursion racket, or shop for tourist shit. I'm sure it is designed that way so the cruise line can get a cut of it.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Carnival is the main one you want to avoid for floating Walmart.

Royal Caribbean is spendy and the ships are nice, but ginormous, which implies a lot of people of Walmart.

Holland America I think is a step up from Royal Caribbean.

I have always heard good things about Alaska cruises.  Not beachy, so fewer families with ringmeat kids.

My parents really enjoyed a cruise on the St. Lawrence.

Edited by TwiceHorn

10 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Silversea, Regent Seven Seas, Celebrity, and Seabourn are all very nice.  

My only experience was Celebrity, and I was blown away at the cleanliness, the positive attitude of the entire ship's crew and staff, and the quality of the food.  The service was outstanding.

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I’m being roped into taking my mom on a cruise with some other family for her 80th birthday. I’ve never been on a cruise. I don’t want to go on a cruise.  

What cruise lines and ports do I avoid to minimize my exposure to trashy people. And which do I seek out instead? 

Do Alaska or Norway.  The trash ones factor goes way way down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I did one on Carnival because we went with friends, and that's what they sail all the time. Absolutely Walmart on water. We are booked on Oceania in September. Less than 1000 passengers and supposedly everything, especially the food,  is very upscale. It definitely cost more. We shall see. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Do Alaska or Norway.  The trash ones factor goes way way down. 

I wish something like that was in the cards but it’s not. My mom and sister are beach people. I couldn’t give a fuck about going to the beach for the rest of my life if it were up to me.  
My mom hasn’t traveled a whole lot in her life, so we’re trying to make it a great trip for her and it will need to be tropical. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Book a cruise with a first stop in Cozumel. Go to Buccanos.  Drink, have fun on the beach, snorkel, etc. Accidentally "Forget" what time the cruise ship leaves.

Stay in a nice hotel/airbnb for a few days. Fly home. You'll cut out the amount of time you have to be around cruise ship people by 80%.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

We did a Carnival out of Galveston in like 2010 and it was certainly trashy. But they had a guy playing country and a floor for two stepping in the bar so we made the most of it. My favorite part was watching a lady (who weighed more than my wife and I combined) bring a plate heaped to capacity with fried chicken and eat it by the pool while watching the pool shenanigans.  It was an amazing performance and the bone pile looked like a family of four had eaten dinner but this was about 10:30 am. 

• Haha 6

Only cruise I've been on was Disney Alaska. It wasn't trashy, but like others have said, sounds like the Alaska factor cuts down on that. 

And I'd recommend any Alaska cruise (or Alaska in general) as I'm assuming they all stop at the same places. 

2 hours ago, USCATX said:

We did a Carnival out of Galveston in like 2010 and it was certainly trashy. But they had a guy playing country and a floor for two stepping in the bar so we made the most of it. My favorite part was watching a lady (who weighed more than my wife and I combined) bring a plate heaped to capacity with fried chicken and eat it by the pool while watching the pool shenanigans.  It was an amazing performance and the bone pile looked like a family of four had eaten dinner but this was about 10:30 am. 

I did appreciate the 24 hour pizza bar.  It wasn't great pizza, but it was good enough, and 24 hours.

After years of being anti-cruise, we bit the bullet in the post pandemic "what the hell" world.  We will be doing a Virgin Voyages cruise out of Barcelona this fall.  Virgin's attempt to disrupt the industry worked on us.  There is none of the traditional stuff (no formal nights, buffets, fixed seated meals...).  It's adults only and adult themes are part of the deal. It's not for the squeamish, socially conservative crowd.  All the specialty restaurants look good and are included. The clubs look stylish too, plus there is an overnight stop in Ibiza.  We'll see hot it goes.

17 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

After years of being anti-cruise, we bit the bullet in the post pandemic "what the hell" world.  We will be doing a Virgin Voyages cruise out of Barcelona this fall.  Virgin's attempt to disrupt the industry worked on us.  There is none of the traditional stuff (no formal nights, buffets, fixed seated meals...).  It's adults only and adult themes are part of the deal. It's not for the squeamish, socially conservative crowd.  All the specialty restaurants look good and are included. The clubs look stylish too, plus there is an overnight stop in Ibiza.  We'll see hot it goes.

Swinger's cruise, eh?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, USCATX said:

What a fucking nightmare.  Good god man.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952rz3dhe8bnyloilca6p

14 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I wish something like that was in the cards but it’s not. My mom and sister are beach people. I couldn’t give a fuck about going to the beach for the rest of my life if it were up to me.  
My mom hasn’t traveled a whole lot in her life, so we’re trying to make it a great trip for her and it will need to be tropical. 

Skip the cruise.  Get everyone to fly to Cancun, stay at one of the resorts there, Playa, etc. and get the beach time, drinks, less Walmart and more hot chicks in thongs.

• Hook 'Em 1

my smallish company is doing an anniversary cruise in October. Carnival out of Galveston. I knew it was bad, but yall are making feel awesome about it.

Oh well week away from the kids, and no cost, so I intend on getting blasted and watching the Walmart shit sho.

2 minutes ago, landman said:

Skip the cruise.  Get everyone to fly to Cancun, stay at one of the resorts there, Playa, etc. and get the beach time, drinks, less Walmart and more hot chicks in thongs.

I agree with this. I went on eight cruises before losing interest and starting to go directly to places. Flights to Cancun are so cheap, and there are so many resorts to choose from there and in neighboring areas. We are staying at the Valentin Imperial in August, and we stayed at Le Blanc last year.

I’ve been angling for the resort for a couple months now, but I’m getting outvoted by other family members.  I’m the first generation in my family to escape a long line of white trash, so some of the family is not as averse to floating Walmart as I am. 

42 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I’ve been angling for the resort for a couple months now, but I’m getting outvoted by other family members.  I’m the first generation in my family to escape a long line of white trash, so some of the family is not as averse to floating Walmart as I am. 

Just remember, if you the miss the cruise ship boarding cutoff at one of your stops, you HAVE to stay where you are and get a hotel.

Tell your family that's international law and so forth.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Just remember, if you the miss the cruise ship boarding cutoff at one of your stops, you HAVE to stay where you are and get a hotel.

Tell your family that's international law and so forth.

I’m more likely to tell them the boarding cut off is about two hours after it actually is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Having seen cruise passengers in Galveston the easy answer is avoid Galveston.  Then again, a cruise souds like a root canal to me.  Zero interest.  The day I finally go on a cruise it will be a river cruise in Europe which I understand is completely different.  As for the massive cruise ships that serve 24 hour buffets?  Hard pass.  No.  No. 

Animated GIF

• Hook 'Em 1