Texas Longhorns - 2024 Schedule with a few SEC dates

Pancho

9 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

This makes NO sense.

I hope it's bullshit.

Why does it make no sense? There is no need to maximize your OOC schedule with the SEC schedule and 12 team playoff. The key is to be top 8 so you either get a bye or have home field advantage as a 5-8 seed. That home field advantage and even the playoff essentially replaces that marquee OOC matchup. Getting that home field advantage as a 5-8 seed essentially will give us 8-9 home games if you make all of our OOC opponents come to Texas. I'm not saying don't schedule p4 teams but there is literally no need to schedule a Ohio St type OOC moving forward when you'll get that in the CFP.

You want to go into conference play every year undefeated that gives you the chance of losing max 2 games to still make that playoff. I don't think many, if any 3 loss teams will make the 12 team format. 10-2 should be the minimum expectation moving forward for regular season play. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

We're not getting Texas vs. Ohio State or USC any more but we'll still get Texas having home and homes with mid-level ACC and Big 10 teams. But yes, in most seasons, we're going to want to maximize our home games so it will be 3 layup games against teams that are fine with only coming to Austin. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You want to go into conference play every year undefeated that gives you the chance of losing max 2 games to still make that playoff. I don't think many, if any 3 loss teams will make the 12 team format. 10-2 should be the minimum expectation moving forward for regular season play. 

I would hope the expanded playoff would encourage better ooc matchups, not worse. I definitely think a 3 loss SEC team will make the playoff if they are good losses. If texas were to lose close @Michigan and to Georgia next year, and then dropped a random conference game say ou (god forbid), then they would likely have a good case against a one or two loss acc or big 12 team who played nobody. 

• Rage+1 1

I think Georgia and the SEC learned their lesson this year with scheduling a shit out of conference schedule.  If they didn’t cancel their Oklahoma game they would have been in the playoffs.  Same thing applies with two or possibly three losses now.  No matter what don’t go A&M level bad with the out of conference schedule please.   

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If I were betting it is going to be big noon game and probably gameday too.  Defending champs vs top 5 texas

Of course it's going to be Big Noon.  The Big 12's TV deal only let us out of the Big 12 a year early because we agreed to flip the Michigan series to be at Michigan in 2024 instead of in Austin.  So that Fox could get the rights to air it, since ESPN would have gotten it in 2024 instead if it was in Austin because ESPN owns the SEC rights. 

Fox was banking on it for 2024 and that was the agreement to let them have it by flipping the series. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Florida's schedule is just absolutely brutal.

Washington, after getting gutted this year, is going to have a rough time as well. Both of those teams will struggle to win more than 2 games. 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

We're not getting Texas vs. Ohio State or USC any more but we'll still get Texas having home and homes with mid-level ACC and Big 10 teams. But yes, in most seasons, we're going to want to maximize our home games so it will be 3 layup games against teams that are fine with only coming to Austin. 

Just because we havent really played them, in the B1G it would be interesting to see Texas vs: Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers, Indiana, Northwestern, Wisconsin. And in the ACC, Texas vs. Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Boston College, Pitt, Va Tech.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I would hope the expanded playoff would encourage better ooc matchups, not worse. I definitely think a 3 loss SEC team will make the playoff if they are good losses. If texas were to lose close @Michigan and to Georgia next year, and then dropped a random conference game say ou (god forbid), then they would likely have a good case against a one or two loss acc or big 12 team who played nobody. 

Why? You’re going to have 1-3/4 more games post especially if you make your conference championship game. 

3 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

It makes no sense because the big OOC games can help make your case and losing them will be way less fatal than in the four-team playoff.

Many underlying things happen in those huge OOC games that could come back to bite you down the road. It is mentally and physically draining. While you are playing Ohio State in Columbus, OU is playing Temple in Norman, with the starters in street clothes by the 3rd quarter. Hell, we saw it this year. We prepped for Bama all offseason while OU spent all offseason and the first 5 weeks prepping for us.

One of the huge benefits of SEC teams scheduling soft is it essentially gives you an extra bye week. Have a starter who is 70% healthy? No problem, we are playing ULM this week. I think this will become even more important in the expanded playoff where you could play upward of 16-17 games. Any week in which you can get guys off their feet earlier and keep them fresh is important.

I'm not saying schedule ULM, Rice, UTSA and UTEP only moving forward. But there are tradeoffs in playing in big OOC games, even if you do win. I've always said I prefer to do those type of matchups like once every 3 years and not every single year like we have scheduled from 2022-2027.

2 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I think Georgia and the SEC learned their lesson this year with scheduling a shit out of conference schedule.  If they didn’t cancel their Oklahoma game they would have been in the playoffs.  Same thing applies with two or possibly three losses now.  No matter what don’t go A&M level bad with the out of conference schedule please.   

More than anything, this year was an anomaly with the number of undefeated/1-loss teams down the stretch. We had never seen that before. The top 7-8 teams didn't lose for like 5 straight weeks to end the season. 

Georgia would have been in any other year, and they no longer have to worry about it happening again because of the expanded playoff. 

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Many underlying things happen in those huge OOC games that could come back to bite you down the road. It is mentally and physically draining. While you are playing Ohio State in Columbus, OU is playing Temple in Norman, with the starters in street clothes by the 3rd quarter. Hell, we saw it this year. We prepped for Bama all offseason while OU spent all offseason and the first 5 weeks prepping for us.

One of the huge benefits of SEC teams scheduling soft is it essentially gives you an extra bye week. Have a starter who is 70% healthy? No problem, we are playing ULM this week. I think this will become even more important in the expanded playoff where you could play upward of 16-17 games. Any week in which you can get guys off their feet earlier and keep them fresh is important.

I'm not saying schedule ULM, Rice, UTSA and UTEP only moving forward. But there are tradeoffs in playing in big OOC games, even if you do win. I've always said I prefer to do those type of matchups like once every 3 years and not every single year like we have scheduled from 2022-2027.

Sounds like a cowardly approach.

I like playing one big OOC per year. It doesn't always have to be Michigan or Ohio State, but it shouldn't be the Virginias or Dukes of the world every year.  That is a pussy approach.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Florida's schedule is just absolutely brutal.

I just looked at it and wasn't quite sure what the issue was. Then I saw November:

image.png.6d0c9f8840ab865ce31621b0c7d33bfc.png

29 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

We need to play SMU in non con. Only fbs texas team we havent played this century

No. Terrible take.

”we should play SMU!” takes should start getting negged for wasting the thread’s time. 

22 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Sounds like a cowardly approach.

I like playing one big OOC per year. It doesn't always have to be Michigan or Ohio State, but it shouldn't be the Virginias or Dukes of the world every year.  That is a pussy approach.

One P4 or ND team every year is likely, which is fine. I doubt we get a home and home with a blue blood any time soon after 2027 though. 

30 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

We need to play SMU in non con. Only fbs texas team we havent played this century

We haven’t played SMU since the breakup of the SWC. We hadn’t played UH since the end of the bleachergate series until we were forced to this year. We’ve played Rice nearly every 4 years like clockwork. These are not coincidences.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Just because we havent really played them, in the B1G it would be interesting to see Texas vs: Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers, Indiana, Northwestern, Wisconsin. And in the ACC, Texas vs. Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Boston College, Pitt, Va Tech.

Sorry, way too many John Mackovic vibes.

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I doubt we get a home and home with a blue blood any time soon after 2027 though. 

If that ends up being the case and if the SEC goes with the 8-team bullshit, I’d prefer:

Open with Rice at DKR

1-and-done with mid-level P4 team (UVA, Illinois, Stanford, etc) at DKR

dogshit directional Louisiana or likewise team at DKR the week before aggy. I see no reason not to do whatever every other team in the SEC does, plus it pushes one of these type of games from the September broiler to November

2 for 1 with an FBS school that may suck but is a good travel destination, kind of like we did with Tulane or UCF. UNLV, South Florida, Colorado State in Denver, Army, Boston College, etc

57 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

27889F7C-1747-4215-B5E5-76B3516E535E.jpeg

Dad was just telling me he was at that game, and how a Indiana LB took out the Texas starting QB (Bill Bradley) on a late-hit -- something I'm not surprised by, as it's something I've seen the Big-Slow-10 do a lot of over the years.

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why? You’re going to have 1-3/4 more games post especially if you make your conference championship game. 

this. florida state was an anomaly this year due to the injury and it happened that our win was to the 1 loss SEC champ.  If our OOC loss or win is to a 9-3 3rd place Wisconsin, Michigan, Clempson there is very minimal upside with the win and big downside if we lose.

90% of the time the loss column will still rule all even down to #12.  Sure it helps if your schedule is so bad you need that OOC game to pull it up.   The SEC teams never needed it before, even with the Lil Sisters of the Poor gimmie in Nov, and there is no reason we would need it now.

Take the easy W and win the SEC games.  get people healthy, playing time, etc.  you really want to be top 4 and an extra potential loss isn't worth it given the conf slate.

46 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

If that ends up being the case and if the SEC goes with the 8-team bullshit, I’d prefer:

Open with Rice at DKR

1-and-done with mid-level P4 team (UVA, Illinois, Stanford, etc) at DKR

dogshit directional Louisiana or likewise team at DKR the week before aggy. I see no reason not to do whatever every other team in the SEC does, plus it pushes one of these type of games from the September broiler to November

2 for 1 with an FBS school that may suck but is a good travel destination, kind of like we did with Tulane or UCF. UNLV, South Florida, Colorado State in Denver, Army, Boston College, etc

CSU is in Ft Collins, which is a far cooler town than Denver anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

this. florida state was an anomaly this year due to the injury and it happened that our win was to the 1 loss SEC champ.  If our OOC loss or win is to a 9-3 3rd place Wisconsin, Michigan, Clempson there is very minimal upside with the win and big downside if we lose.

90% of the time the loss column will still rule all even down to #12.  Sure it helps if your schedule is so bad you need that OOC game to pull it up.   The SEC teams never needed it before, even with the Lil Sisters of the Poor gimmie in Nov, and there is no reason we would need it now.

Take the easy W and win the SEC games.  get people healthy, playing time, etc.  you really want to be top 4 and an extra potential loss isn't worth it given the conf slate.

This is a terrible take and you should feel bad. Games against good teams are fun and provide a focus for the team. We should do that every year- have a big September OOC game- preferably week 2. 
Please God let this be the last 8 game conference schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This is a terrible take and you should feel bad. Games against good teams are fun and provide a focus for the team. We should do that every year- have a big September OOC game- preferably week 2. 

gettin' all up in your feels I see...most fun is getting into the playoff and it is a numbers game.

I'm sure Michigan fan is so upset their OOC was only ECU, Bowling Green, and UNLV and they played dogshit in their conf.

as Will would say, it is hard to hear with this NC trophy in my ear.

Edited by dcar00

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

gettin' all up in your feels I see...most fun is getting into the playoff and it is a numbers game.

I'm sure Michigan fan is so upset their OOC was only ECU, Bowling Green, and UNLV and they played dogshit in their conf.

as Will would say, it is hard to hear with this NC trophy in my ear.

We wouldn’t have made it this year if we didn’t play Bama. 
Texas is better when it challenges itself. 
it’s more fun to play good teams. 
don’t be a vagina. That’s the aggy way. 

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

Dad was just telling me he was at that game, and how a Indiana LB took out the Texas starting QB (Bill Bradley) on a late-hit -- something I'm not surprised by, as it's something I've seen the Big-Slow-10 do a lot of over the years.

Yep, Super Bill Bradley, who was replaced at QB by none other than James Street in 1968 at the dawn of the Wishbone Era.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep. The gameday buzz around a highly anticipated OOC matchup after a long offseason and the opportunity for novel road trips are two of the best parts of the college football fan experience.

This is supposed to be fun. Playing Michigan is more fun than playing Colorado State. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yep. The gameday buzz around a highly anticipated OOC matchup after a long offseason and the opportunity for novel road trips are two of the best parts of the college football fan experience.

This is supposed to be fun. Playing Michigan is more fun than playing Colorado State. 

And better for the team. Puts a hop in their step preparing all offseason. 

20 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

And better for the team. Puts a hop in their step preparing all offseason. 

They’ll be prepared enough via conference play and you will get those marquee games at the end of the season via CCG or CFP at him if you are 5-8. Maximize your chance at CFP and make a run for a title. If you’re going to play 15-17 games or however many it ends up being every week doesn’t need to be a slugfest and OOC is where you minimize that. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This year was the most unique year ever in BCS or CFP. There was 4 undefeated teams at the end. Basing anything off of this year is stupid. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

right because we were in the Big 12.  we aren't anymore.  I'm giving you the facts of how it works. fuck off with the vagina bullshit.  we're gonna play good teams anyway and we won't schedule FCS like others do.

It will be good when we get to 9 conf games as soon as possible.

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

right because we were in the Big 12.  we aren't anymore.  I'm giving you the facts of how it works. fuck off with the vagina bullshit.  we're gonna play good teams anyway and we won't schedule FCS like others do.

It will be good when we get to 9 conf games as soon as possible.

I sure hope that happens. 
The idea that playing a good team OOC isn’t good for the fans, players or programs is nonsense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This year was the most unique year ever in BCS or CFP. There was 4 undefeated teams at the end. Basing anything off of this year is stupid. 

Michigan played basically nobody until OSU and got the #1 seed.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, mdmost said:

On the field, Miami is basically another SEC game. Big, athletic dudes coached by a regard. A series would accomplish very little other than a fun trip for the fans. 

UNC would be pretty good. Mack should be long gone before our future schedule opens up. 

BC is a fun trip for the fans and precious else. Same goes for Louisville, but there'd be a reasonable chance of a ranked opponent. 

The wine and cheese crowd would be all over Stanford and Cal games. Hint: If you're rich, you don't need a football excuse to take a trip to Napa. Just go. 

I'd imagine ESPN is going to shotgun wedding us into games against Clemson and Florida State, and "politely request" we not play Big Ten teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I sure hope that happens. 
The idea that playing a good team OOC isn’t good for the fans, players or programs is nonsense. 

I never said it wasn't good for the fans or players. and as I said we are going to schedule a good OOC game every year.  I'm just telling you how it works.  once they show they don't let the loss column rule all (save the freak FSU QB Injury situation this year) it will have changed.

When they put in a 2 loss non conf champ over a 1 loss conf champ because the 2 loss team is obviously better or a 3 loss team from B1G or SEC over a 2 loss ACC team I will know it has changed.

and I'm fine with playing a top tier OOC game every year...just win.

On 2/16/2024 at 12:11 AM, dcar00 said:

once they show they don't let the loss column rule all (save the freak FSU QB Injury situation this year) it will have changed.

Seems like that happened this year with only a 4-team playoff. Without our win over Bama we don’t get in, definitely not over Georgia and probably not even over FSU…

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

2025 schedule is supposedly 8 conference games with the 2024 home and aways flipped. So away games at Georgia, Florida, Mississippi State, and Kentucky. Home games with aggy, Arkansas, and Vandy. OU would be considered a home game. Also we're going to Ohio State so it's going to be one hell of an away schedule. Welcome to the SEC, Arch.  

And confirmed

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1