Tourist Trip to Titanic Terribly Turns Tragic

MrBig

27 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

OceanGate may need to lawyer up.

Dollars to doughnuts OceanGate is a shell with few assets.  Go ahead and get your judgment against an outfit that owned 1) one asset that's crushed like a soda can a billion feet down, and 2) a surface vessel that probably carries a note worth damn close to the ship's NPV.

Maybe it has insurance.  For like a million bucks.  And I guess it MIGHT still have the money it collected from these idiots.  So, you know, 1.5 million or so?  Although I bet it's spent that and more on the search effort, so that's gone.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dollars to doughnuts OceanGate is a shell with few assets.  Go ahead and get your judgment against an outfit that owned 1) one asset that's crushed like a soda can a billion feet down, and 2) a surface vessel that probably carries a note worth damn close to the ship's NPV.

Maybe it has insurance.  For like a million bucks.  And I guess it MIGHT still have the money it collected from these idiots.  So, you know, 1.5 million or so?  Although I bet it's spent that and more on the search effort, so that's gone.

CEO was on board as well.

Wait, this would be extremely convenient if they wanted to fake their deaths...

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

How much will a submersible tour cost to see the titanic and oceangate?

Don't even have to find the Oceangate.  Just toss one of these down there:

the_rise_and_fall_of_an_american_beer.jp

And tell your passengers "there it is!  Look what the incredible pressure did to it!  Crushed it down to a tiny size!"

1 minute ago, Covri said:

I might have missed it in all the posts, but had this "submarine" made this decent and return before? Or was this its first attempt?

I think this was the 3rd after 2 completed visits to the Titanic. It would have been very ironic had this been the maiden voyage.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

As brilliant as humans can be, they are equally capable of doing the most stupid shit imaginable.

If you are an adult male posting on this thread, I’m almost certain you have done at least one thing in your life that you are incredibly lucky to have lived through, or at least come through with all your limbs and spinal cord intact

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

If you are an adult male posting on this thread, I’m almost certain you have done at least one thing in your life that you are incredibly lucky to have lived through, or at least come through with all your limbs and spinal cord intact

Oh sure. Several things actually. Maybe more.

But, hey, I'm not slowly suffocating to death at the bottom of the North Atlantic ocean right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Ooh Rah Marine Corps...

But they paid me.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

But…but…but, they signed a waiver!

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If I'm spending any decent sum of money (decent in my view, or $250,000 if I was rich) to be stuck in a confined space with 4 or 5 other people for 16 hours or more, they better be cheerleaders.

You’d get the same amount of ass either way. 

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

If it cost me 25 cents to float in a tube to crush depth to view the Titanic on a screen, which you can do right now by pulling up fucking YouTube, I'd still say no. 

You forgot the part where you think you’re invulnerable because you have money. Seen waaaayy to many of these MF’s completely lose their shit because someone wouldn’t fly them through a blizzard between rocks they can’t see and into a box canyon. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

More or less and a few others. 

My mom was supposed to be on the flight into Dubrovnik in 1996. Sec Brown insisted they go in and the crew said ok Sir. 

She got bumped by an assistant who wanted the limelight and was asked for her to step back. His mandate was trade, hers was development. Not a good career move. 

Pilots are PIC for a fucking reason. You say we are not flying, we ain't flying. Let's go get a beer and a steak. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

My mom was supposed to be on the flight into Dubrovnik in 1996. Sec Brown insisted they go in and the crew said ok Sir. 

She got bumped by an assistant who wanted the limelight and was asked for her to step back. His mandate was trade, hers was development. Not a good career move. 

Pilots are PIC for a fucking reason. You say we are not flying, we ain't flying. Let's go get a beer and a steak. 

Hillary Clinton almost killed your mom....WOW 😂

You forgot the part where you think you’re invulnerable because you have money. Seen waaaayy to many of these MF’s completely lose their shit because someone wouldn’t fly them through a blizzard between rocks they can’t see and into a box canyon. 

This is so true. This plane crash in Alaska that killed a former US Senator and others:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/wbna38637072

…happens a couple of weeks after I was there and flew on a similar plane from same outfit into and out of and all around Lake Illiamna. We spent 8+ hours on Day 1 in the Illiamna Airport waiting for the fog to lift.

I emailed our pilot/guide about the crash, with condolence…his reply? “Fucking idiot let his customers make his decision for him. Shit happens when you do that.”
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Going to be interesting what all comes out of the woodwork as this deal is post mortemed. The dude that got fired who wouldn’t certify the sub probably has an NDA - hope he got paid well for that.  He could make way more with the book rights. 

Edited by CycleTex87

The fact that this thing was controlled and driven with a bluetooth controller... just amazing.  Hell, my bluetooth speaker disconnects all the damn time... and it takes a few reboots to get it working.   The borderline arrogance of the CEO guy and his dismissive attitude of safety precautions.. Red flags everywhere

Good job seeing the red flags and not getting on there.
  • Drool 1

If I’m going to hop on a sub and go 2 miles deep in the ocean, the guy driving better have 20+ years military experience.  Also, there aint gonna be shit for insurance coverage here.  Lloyd’s is the only one that would consider insuring this particular risk, and they would pass given the fast and cheap nature of this operation.  

The primary purpose of having a GL policy is to provide compensation to victims if you have an accident or fuck up, while not bankrupting your business should something unfortunate occur.  A secondary reason for having such a policy is it tells your customers that an independent third party took a look at the risk and signed off on putting their money on the line.  If they actually obtained insurance coverage the under the facts we know at this point I would be shocked, but the shenanigans with the employee vs. passenger designation probably gives the insurance company wiggle room to not pay.  Passengers are much more expensive to insure.

If any entity fails to carry that basic level of coverage, they either don’t care, can’t afford it, or can’t find an insurer willing to underwrite it.   You can play fast and loose with your insurance coverage in low risk ventures and maybe get away with it, but with high risk shit you better have your i’s dotted and t’s crossed.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

This is so true. This plane crash in Alaska that killed a former US Senator and others:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/wbna38637072

…happens a couple of weeks after I was there and flew on a similar plane from same outfit into and out of and all around Lake Illiamna. We spent 8+ hours on Day 1 in the Illiamna Airport waiting for the fog to lift.

I emailed our pilot/guide about the crash, with condolence…his reply? “Fucking idiot let his customers make his decision for him. Shit happens when you do that.”

The day music died.  Aaliyah.  This will continue to happen.  

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Oh sure. Several things actually. Maybe more.

But, hey, I'm not slowly suffocating to death at the bottom of the North Atlantic ocean right now. 

1 hour ago, Horn Dogg said:

Neither are the 5 people that got crushed in a beer can the other day.

Yeah I have no idea why people think they’re still alive. They were dead probably seconds after contact was lost.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Heard an interview on NPR with a CBS journalist who actually rode in the submersible last year with the plan to go down to the Titanic. Unsurprisingly, the trip was cut short after a mechanical issue a few hundred feet down. A couple of high points:

- He said before you go down you basically sign away your life. No chance that the victims or their families are compensated. And even if they were supposed to, with what assets? I imagine OceanGate’s IP and goodwill are not trading very high right now.

- The vessel apparently has seven different systems that are meant to return it to the surface even after a total loss of power or control from inside. One of them is sandbags that are attached by something that dissolves after a certain amount of time under water. So this guy speculated that the ship may have returned to surface and they’re being tossed around in 6 ft seas. Also, the vessel is white and the ocean is full of white caps in that area. Zero chance they’re spotted from the air. 
- The hatch is sealed with 18 bolts from the outside. Yeah…

Edited by Auto Driller
  • Drool 1