2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

Just now, lazygringo said:

Is it just me or have we not really been hearing much about Derek Williams or Tausili Akana in fall camp so far?

Williams is a dude. He will find the field. Akana might be a little light in the ass to  find the field this year. Maybe specialized packages. 

4 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

Is it just me or have we not really been hearing much about Derek Williams or Tausili Akana in fall camp so far?

Multi-year starters at Safety, I dont we will hear much about any of the safeties and that is probably a good thing.  Though ON3 believes he will be very active in special teams. Akana is like 220 pounds. He needs a year in the weight room and some BBQ before even thinking about him. 

Edited by Codaxx

9 hours ago, Hermanator said:

You didn't get the point. When he was at USC ... It's a whole new world with new rules. 

They were right. You're not worth the time. You're either too stupid, or you're pretending, and it doesn't really matter which it is.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Here's a name I haven't heard once. S'Maje Burrell. 

Probably headed for a redshirt year considering he chose not to enroll early when he could have. Always thought that was a questionable decision on his part. Lefau and Hill seem to be ahead of him.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

They were right. You're not worth the time. You're either too stupid, or you're pretending, and it doesn't really matter which it is.  

WTF are you talking about? So you're saying being a HC in FBS today is the same as being a HC in FBS before NIL and portal? Or you're saying programs with the most money and prestige aren't benefitted more by NIL and portal than programs with less money and prestige? Either way you're a dumbass. 

NIL and the portal definitely have given Sark a much bigger advantage now than he ever had at USC or Washington, and it appears he's taking advantage of them. That alone makes comparing what he can do here vs what he did at both USC and Washington completely invalid. They are completely different situations with different variables. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I was under the impression that Sark was getting 6 years barring 3 win seasons or major scandals.

6 may be a bit much but he's definitely getting 4 and I'd say 5 is pretty close to guaranteed with the big talent acquisition of his first 2 seasons. 

I feel Sark's fate will be sealed either way by what he does starting next year in the SEC. Go in and compete with the top of the conference and he's staying. Go in and look like aggy and he'll find his way out. 

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Charlie Strong could coach this team to 9-3. He'll get season four unless it's something truly historically disastrous. 

They gave Sark a 6 year deal with guaranteed 4 full years. IMO if he wins 10 this year they'll give him an extension for recruiting purposes. Maybe like 2 years.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

I think what I'm most shocked about regarding Sark (aside from his complete roster turnover and the building that he's been able to do on the OL and DL) is the strength and conditioning program.  It seems like Becton is doing a great job of molding these guys and preventing major and nagging injuries.  Big fucking knock on wood.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

How would you see that when he skipped spring ball for track? Can't develop if you aren't practicing football. That loss is a good loss....he's a track guy that plays football.

I am pretty sure Thompson just wants to run go routes in his track offseason. He didn't really take to any actual route running or learning nuances of the position. The problem is, those go routes are all Lebby will ask him to run and he should be pretty damn good at it if Hercules Gabriel can heave it more than 40 yards. I am not convinced of the latter, but I don't love the idea of him lining up on Ryan Watts 1 on 1 if he manages to beat the press. This is where having Gavin Holmes should be handy. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am pretty sure Thompson just wants to run go routes in his track offseason. He didn't really take to any actual route running or learning nuances of the position. The problem is, those go routes are all Lebby will ask him to run and he should be pretty damn good at it if Hercules Gabriel can heave it more than 40 yards. I am not convinced of the latter, but I don't love the idea of him lining up on Ryan Watts 1 on 1 if he manages to beat the press. This is where having Gavin Holmes should be handy. 

Lol Ryan Watts has about 50 pounds on Thompson.  There is a reason BT didn't get any playing time last year despite Jordan Whittington being our only healthy WR all season last year.  He couldn't beat press coverage, run decent routes, or have good hands last year.  Watts will beat him on press coverage every time if ou has Thompson playing meaningful snaps this fall.

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

WTF are you talking about? So you're saying being a HC in FBS today is the same as being a HC in FBS before NIL and portal? Or you're saying programs with the most money and prestige aren't benefitted more by NIL and portal than programs with less money and prestige? Either way you're a dumbass. 

NIL and the portal definitely have given Sark a much bigger advantage now than he ever had at USC or Washington, and it appears he's taking advantage of them. That alone makes comparing what he can do here vs what he did at both USC and Washington completely invalid. They are completely different situations with different variables. 

An argument relying on absolutes (see bolded) is rarely sound.

Even if one acknowledges that  recruiting and other roster management aspects of being a CFB head coach are dramatically different in the pre- and post-NIL eras and that Sark is more advantaged in the current era, which I do agree with, that does not make his time at USC and UW totally irrelevant bases for evaluating his merits (and prospects) as a head coach.

But how about player development, game planning for upcoming opponents, in-game adjustments/management, coaching staff management and, last but not least, proclivity for vices and other things outside the football complex that could undermine everything the coach might be doing well within it. Those are just a few critical aspects that can serve as valid points for drawing valid apples-to-apples comparisons across both eras. It's fair to look at Sark's pre-NIL track record in these areas to make an educated assessment of his weak (and strong) points as a head coach and how that might be expected to translate to future W's and L's.

In sum, the situations are somewhat different in that recruiting and roster management have changed dramatically. However, the situations remain the same on many fronts - so the notion that they are "completely" different, or that any comparisons are invalid, is laughable.

If what you are actually trying to say is that NIL advantages will lead to so much of a talent advantage over our competition that any coaching weaknesses Sark has carried during both areas are mitigated, that is a fair argument. But that's not the argument you've actually made to this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I am pretty sure Thompson just wants to run go routes in his track offseason. He didn't really take to any actual route running or learning nuances of the position. The problem is, those go routes are all Lebby will ask him to run and he should be pretty damn good at it if Hercules Gabriel can heave it more than 40 yards. I am not convinced of the latter, but I don't love the idea of him lining up on Ryan Watts 1 on 1 if he manages to get beat the press. 

Watts vs Thompson on a fly route isnt good, but that assumes Thompson has the ability to get cleanly off the LOS

12 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

The list of HFCs who show up and dominate immediately and consistently wherever they go at any level is vanishingly small. Heck, guys around here even trash Saban, saying he only won because of his bag game, or that he doesn’t have it anymore. Sometimes this board discussing coaching feels like aggy and their QB— the next one is awesome, just wait and see!

I view Sober Steve as similar but yet a distinct coach from Saturday Night Steve. He has been criticized for losing games in which ref chicanery is acknowledged and for abandoning the run against a team that sold out to stop it. He has been called 7-win Steve for only following up a 5-win season with 8 (again, with ref shenanigans etc as a headwind). I don’t know to what degree he sticks with things, chooses things, or abandons them for reasons that go beyond the game at hand (developing guys, recruiting, etc).

I’ll eat my words if we only win 8 this season, but I think a lot of people around here are so beaten down by CS, TH, and late Mack, that they are focusing on any perceived negative to the exclusion of what is in front of our faces. Sure, injuries, refs, etc could sandbag us. But we are talented, experienced, and deep. Steve may not be the world’s greatest game day coach, but those mentioning coach O are right. Some other coaches who’ve won it all include Jimbo and Mack with GD. Sober Steve IMO is at least in their league.

Stop crying and worrying (Godfather act like a man gif).

Two things:

1) We didn’t nickname the guy Seven Win Steve. He earned that moniker at UW and it has stuck with him because that’s his historic mean. Not saying that he deserved it at UW (I think his turnaround there is laudable) but it didn’t originate here. 

2) Sarkisian told someone that everyone on this board would recognize in a 1:1 that he had the equivalent of “writer’s block” during the Tech game. It’s happened before, too. I’m not saying that that can’t be fixed or is a big game certainty (he’s also done well in big games sometimes). All I’m saying is that it is a major risk when considering outcomes this season. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Watts vs Thompson on a fly route isnt good, but that assumes Thompson has the ability to get cleanly off the LOS

Thompson isn’t even standing out during practices, apparently. It seems low risk that he’s going to magically light up Texas at 165 pounds, not running solid routes and working with shaky hands. 

Now I’ve cursed us. Christ. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

I’m not sure if Sark will succeed at Texas.  I think he has a great chance because he’s made good hires and he’s going about building the roster the right way.  I do know that the X’s and O’’s don’t matter until you have the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s.  I will be surprised if the Texas offense isn’t extremely good this year and if the defense is as good or better than last year this team will win 11 games.  Of course injuries at key positions can change that but the depth is getting better.  Just my opinion.  

Edited by stork642

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Two things:

1) We didn’t nickname the guy Seven Win Steve. He earned that moniker at UW and it has stuck with him because that’s his historic mean. Not saying that he deserved it at UW (I think his turnaround there is laudable) but it didn’t originate here. 

2) Sarkisian told someone that everyone on this board would recognize in a 1:1 that he had the equivalent of “writer’s block” during the Tech game. It’s happened before, too. I’m not saying that that can’t be fixed or is a big game certainty (he’s also done well in big games sometimes). All I’m saying is that it is a major risk when considering outcomes this season. 

On point 2, I wish someone would tell him that if he gets that shit again he needs to hand off a series or two of play calling to Flood or Milwee. Give himself some time to regroup and see things unfold on the field without having to think about what he will call on the next play. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I’m not sure if Sark will succeed at Texas.  I think he has a great chance because he’s made good hires and he’s going about building the roster the right way.  I do know that the X’s and O’’s don’t matter until you have the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s.  I will be surprised if the Texas offense isn’t extremely good this year and if the defense is as good or better this team will win 11 games.  Of course injuries at key positions can change that but the depth is getting better.  Just my opinion.  

I am feeling better and better about Sark. Biggest  reason is the roster. Been a long time, since Texas was deep enough to go good on good in camps. Even the 2nd team can give the 1st units a decent  look. 1st time in forever that practice reports may actually mean something. Sark's 1st year it was "the DL is wrecking shop", only for us to find out the DL was mediocre at best and the OL was a broken speed bump. Imagine hearing the "the DEs have been quite in practice" and giving the excuse "well, they are going up against NFL tackles" a few years ago

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Probably headed for a redshirt year considering he chose not to enroll early when he could have. Always thought that was a questionable decision on his part. Lefau and Hill seem to be ahead of him.

Burrell and Williams’ decision to not enroll early has hurt both in the short term, with it effecting Burrell more than Williams. They both would be in the two deep if they enrolled early. They still expect Williams to be a dog at safety. Burrell is better athlete than Hawaii but Hawaii now has the inside track to be the next MLB because he came in early and put the work in. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lazygringo said:

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Akana likely redshirts due to needing to get stronger/bigger.

Derek Williams has to learn the playbook. Thompson/Catalon as long as he's healthy seem to have locked the top two spots down. Derek Williams appears to be the truth from an athletic standpoint.

1 hour ago, Texasborn91 said:

Williams is a dude. He will find the field. Akana might be a little light in the ass to  find the field this year. Maybe specialized packages. 

Sark was asked about Raptor in one of his recent PC's, he was glowing discussing Williams. Discussed how last year no one was talking about Banks because he arrived in the summer but is/was a stud. Worth the listen, he went on & on about Derek.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Even if one acknowledges that  recruiting and other roster management aspects of being a CFB head coach are dramatically different in the pre- and post-NIL eras and that Sark is more advantaged in the current era, which I do agree with, that does not make his time at USC and UW totally irrelevant bases for evaluating his merits (and prospects) as a head coach.

None of this matters.  Sark has two years to bury Seven Win Steve for good, or he's gone.  The ability to replace him with equal or better once we're in the SEC is so much better than when we were stuck in a 10-team Big 12 that everyone believed was destined to be carved up like the PAC was this summer.  We've transformed the athletic department and facilities part of this equation as far as it will go.  The recruiting is as good as it's been since the last time we had a dynasty.  We go as far as our coaching will take us from here on out.  

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Thompson isn’t even standing out during practices, apparently. It seems low risk that he’s going to magically light up Texas at 165 points, not running solid routes and working with shaky hands. 

Now I’ve cursed us. Christ. 

I talked to a Sooner fan last week that told me their best WR in camp has been some short white guy.

And it’s not Stoops, who is also expected to start. 

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:
– DJ Campbell looks more and more like the starter at right guard. But do not take this as any sort of indictment on Cole Hutson.
I’ve been told by more than one source that Hutson is having a good fall camp as well, and that’s a primary reason why Kyle Flood is working him in up and down the offensive line. Hutson worked at both guard spots and center on Saturday; it’s a cross-training that fits Hutson because of his high football IQ and hard-nosed approach.

@Codaxx

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

An argument relying on absolutes (see bolded) is rarely sound.

But how about player development, game planning for upcoming opponents, in-game adjustments/management, coaching staff management and, last but not least, proclivity for vices and other things outside the football complex that could undermine everything the coach might be doing well within it. Those are just a few critical aspects that can serve as valid points for drawing valid apples-to-apples comparisons across both eras. It's fair to look at Sark's pre-NIL track record in these areas to make an educated assessment of his weak (and strong) points as a head coach and how that might be expected to translate to future W's and L's.

In sum, the situations are somewhat different in that recruiting and roster management have changed dramatically. However, the situations remain the same on many fronts - so the notion that they are "completely" different, or that any comparisons are invalid, is laughable.

If what you are actually trying to say is that NIL advantages will lead to so much of a talent advantage over our competition that any coaching weaknesses Sark has carried during both areas are mitigated, that is a fair argument. But that's not the argument you've actually made to this point. 

All I was saying from the beginning is using what Sark did at Washington and USC to try to gauge what he'll do at Texas is invalid because the nature of the game itself has changed so much that it renders the comparisons invalid. In a scientific testing scenario if the variables have changed to a certain degree it renders past data invalid. That's happened here with NIL and the portal. 

I used the word completely to try to hammer that home into that dumbasses' head after he insulted me. 

Edited by Hermanator

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sark seems introspective. Much easier to grow if you're willing to seek outside advice.

• Hook 'Em 7

23 hours ago, Tex Long said:

If the new infusion of talent allows the OC to get us 7 points per game better than last year, AND the DC gets us just 2 points better, we hoist the Big Trophy.

As my dearly departed dad used to say, “if dog rabbit.”  I have no fucking idea what that means but he used to say it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

most definitely.  the fact that sark would even acknowledge that shows me that he's levels ahead of the typical meathead football coach.

Only Surly could spin “our head coach admits to getting writers block during big games” as a positive.

Never change, Surly.

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Fuck You 1

33 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I really don't get the Sark angst. Mack Brown proved that if you acquire enough talent and hire moderately competent assistants, then you can win big at Texas. It ain't rocket surgery. That Herman and Strong couldn't figure that out just shows how out of their depth they were. This job has never been that tough or complicated. For fuck's sake David McWilliams, John Mackovick and Tom Herman each put together 10 win seasons here.

That said, the Kool-Aid overfloweth for this team, that admittedly looks great on paper... but there are still some big questions for me until I actually see it on the field:

1. Interior line run blocking was shit last year. I know they were young and should be improved, but still.
  2. Bijan made a lot of chicken salad last year. The RB room looks really strong but we've never really seen Brooks do much outside of garbage time. The rest are unproven outside of Robinson who is a gadget guy, essentially. There is a better than zero chance this team has trouble running the ball which is going to impact QB play and leads us to...
  3. Ewers was wildly inconsistent last year. With good reason, be it injury and/or inexperience, but he has a lot to prove.
  4. Dline depth was a real strength last year but Ojomo and Coburn are gone. Those two plus Ovie ate up a ton of snaps. I like the Minnesota transfer in the run game but can we rely on Collins and Broughton to play enough without drop off to keep everyone else fresh?
  5. Ford is the best LB we've had in ages, but the rest of that group looked lost without Overshown in the Alamobowl. Everybody else here is either really old and hasn't done shit or really young and hasn't had a chance to do shit.
  6. EDGE - is anybody really that comfortable with what is there right now? 

There are real reasons to believe that all of these things have been addressed through talent acquisition and development, but fuck if I am going to buy in to a bunch of bullshit practice reports telling me how great this team is. Show me. Don't tell me.

I don’t fancy myself as a herman apologist but that fuck had some pretty bad luck here or he may have turned things around.  Shows you what a great job this truly is