2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

59 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I understand the concept in both Saban's mind, and in the minds of those who cover Bama, that he can just will something into existence because he's the GOAT. Problem is, that's not how the universe actually works. 

Bama has an okay stable of backs, fine. They don't have 5 high draft picks on the OL right now. They have Latham, who is highly regarded. They have Proctor, who will be in his second game, starting at LT. Is he the next Kelvin Banks? Maybe, however the odds don't favor that. The interior OL isn't loaded. The TE from Maryland is a jag. The QBs are a flat out concern. They have no one at WR that will keep defenses honest. 

All of that adds up to a plodding offense that is going to rely simply on the idea of out-talenting the opponent and being tougher than the opponent. They don't have the horses to out-talent multiple defenses on their schedule, Texas included. The notion that they're just going to be tougher to a discernible extent is laughable silliness. Texas played them tough last year. Other teams did as well. They didn't physically whip a bunch of teams' asses until they played KSU, frankly.

Nick Saban looked at what he had coming into this season at QB and said "I need a QB" and went and tried to buy one. That failed. He subsequently reviewed everything else and said "I don't have the difference makers at WR, TB, QB, or TE to keep up with Tennessee or Georgia. I need to try to shorten these ball games and just physically whip everyone. "

Everyone else looked at Bama and blindly bleated "well, it's Bama, they should be a CFP team even though they're going to post an offense from 15 years ago while replacing both coordinators and 16 starters, one being Bryce Young, another being Will Anderson. " Okay then. 

I hope you're right.

I've tried to keep up with a lot of bama stuff this offseason since Texas plays them next week.  Last year Bama was undisciplined and weaker in the secondary.  Texas played them close in 2022 because bama kept shooting themselves in the foot with mistakes and penalties.

Next week should be a helluva game... expect bama to be improved on defense with better DB play, and better at running the ball.

Hopefully Texas makes some big plays on special teams that help the Horns win.  My biggest fear is once Quinn gets hit hard, will he be able stay strong in the pocket and make big throws in th 2nd half.

I still think bama is a top 5 team this year as long as they don't turn the ball over too much.

13 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Bryce Young, who beat us with his ability to throw on the run, scramble, evade would be sacks, and was the #1 dual threat QB his year, posed zero threat to run?

Nice take, I guess.

Ok zero threat is kinda stupid. He was the Heisman winner in 2021 for a reason and beat us at the end of the game with his playmaking and scrambling ability. 

But they didnt run a QB run heavy gameplan targeting the edges, which is what I believe they will do this year.

Milroe isnt close to the passer Young was, so if our edges play well and can shut down the ZR, their offense wont have much else in the bag

Edited by cmontexas

247 had a top 20 list of backup QBs.

Nussmeier was #1, the Georgia bros (Vandagriff/Stockton) were #2, and ... numero tres ... 

image.thumb.png.6201c7791232768575b6ac92b405e63f.png

Aggie backup Max Johnson was #17. (BOMC!!!)

Bama not mentioned, but could be because the starter has not yet been named.

Article and full list below.

College football's top 20 backup QBs entering 2023: LSU's Garrett Nussmeier headlines talented list
Here's a projected ranking of the best college football backup quarterbacks ahead of this season.
Clint Brewster

Spoiler

College football's top 20 backup QBs entering 2023: LSU's Garrett Nussmeier headlines talented list
Here's a projected ranking of the best college football backup quarterbacks ahead of this season.
Clint Brewster

1. Garrett Nussmeier (LSU)

Nussmeier threw for 296 yards and two touchdowns in one half against Georgia, the SEC's top defense and eventual national champion, in the 2022 conference title game. He competed with starter Jayden Daniels last year and lost to Daniels mainly because he doesn't quite have as much mobility. Although Nussmeier doesn't have Daniels' mobility, he's a high-energy gunslinger who has the arm confidence to hit small windows and put a nice touch on his outside throws. His escapability and throws on the move really stand out. Look for Nussmeier to have a huge year in 2024 as the starter for LSU.

2. Brock Vandagriff/Gunner Stockton (Georgia)

With Carson Beck named Georgia's starter, the Bulldogs will have one of college football's top quarterback rooms. Vandagriff, the former five-star, is a redshirt sophomore with some experience as a reserve. Vandagriff has arm strength and mobility that makes him a top-tier backup. Stockton is a future star in college football and was the No. 7 quarterback in the 2022 cycle. Coaches have raved about Stockton's ability to quickly process the game and get the ball out as a sharp and accurate passer.

3. Maalik Murphy (Texas)

Our projected Texas backup as the Longhorns continue to see through a battle with Arch Manning, Murphy is a second-year player who absolutely shined in the spring game. Murphy has imposing size at 6-foot-5, 238 pounds and his arm talent matches that size. He was able to drive the ball downfield and showed big-play ability with his arm. Murphy would likely start at a number of elite programs across the country if he decided to look elsewhere at some point. It will be an interesting battle next season between Murphy and Manning if Quinn Ewers decides to leave for the NFL.

4. Aidan Chiles (Oregon State)

True freshman Aidan Chiles has the skill set to be a stud at the college level and beyond. He’s 6-foot-4 with a twitchy arm and creativity when the pocket breaks down. Chiles will back DJ Uiagalelei up to start the season, but Oregon State fans should be extremely excited about the depth of their quarterback room and the future of Chiles at the position. From Downey (Calif.) High, Chiles was the No. 58 overall prospect for the 2023 class.

5. Devin Brown (Ohio State)

Brown and Kyle McCord were battling it out to be the starter for Ohio State this fall, but the Buckeyes named McCord QB1 Tuesday. McCord, the third year signal-caller, had a leg up in the competition because of his experience as a veteran in the system. Brown, a second-year quarterback and the No. 5 signal-caller recruit in the 2022 class as a four-star prospect from Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon, has a lively arm to go along with functional athleticism and size.

6. Jackson Arnold (Oklahoma)

Arnold lit up the Oklahoma spring game in April and looked like a future dominator at the position. He was extremely comfortable making reads and throwing the ball on time with great suddenness and a lively arm. He has really pushed starting quarterback Dillon Gabriel since he was been on campus in Norman, and some think Gabriel could be on a short leash with a player of Arnold's caliber on the sideline. From Denton (Texas) Guyer, Arnold was the Lone Star State's top recruit in the 2023 class.

7. Nico Iamaleava (Tennessee)

Tennessee's quarterback situation is in good hands after Joe Milton leaves Knoxville. Iamaleava, one of the highest rated quarterbacks in the 2023 cycle, showed off his NFL skillset in the spring game. He looked comfortable in Josh Heupel's offense and was able to make some eye-popping throws with his 6-foot-6, 200-pound frame. Iamaleava has the arm talent to distribute the ball at very high level and can also manipulate the pocket.

8. Malachi Nelson (USC)

The Trojans have capable backup Miller Moss behind reigning Heisman Trophy-winning starter Caleb Williams in the quarterback room, but it's only a matter of time until Nelson takes over the No. 2 spot. Nelson enrolled early at USC, and it was impressive how poised and calm he was in the spring game as a true freshman. He's able to flick the ball anywhere on the field with so much ease and effortlessness. There was some freshman sloppiness at times, but Lincoln Riley said that Nelson made great strides in fall camp. Nelson is clearly USC's next man up after Williams leaves Los Angeles.

9. Tate Rodemaker (Florida State)

Rodemaker is in a battle for the backup job with Brock Glenn, but the smart money would go with Rodemaker winning the No. 2 spot. He's a 6-foot-4 gunslinger with a high-velocity arm. Rodemaker got some valuable experience over the past three seasons and shows he can make some impressive downfield throws. He needs to improve his accuracy (58% last year) and not gamble with tight windows quite as often.

10. Walker Howard (Ole Miss)

A four-star recruit from Lafayette (La.) St. Thomas More in the 2022 class, Howard spent a season at LSU before transferring to the Rebels. He redshirted last year but still got his feet wet with a few snaps for the Tigers. Howard has special passing instincts and throws the ball away from coverage. He's extremely natural changing speeds on the football and putting the right trajectory on it. Howard could be the No. 3 quarterback for Ole Miss this season behind 2022 starter Jaxson Dart and Oklahoma State transfer Spencer Sanders, but don't sleep on Howard's ability after what we saw him do in the spring game in Oxford.

11. Behren Morton (Texas Tech)

Morton showed some nice things when he was on the field in 2022 as a redshirt freshman for the Red Raiders. He threw the ball 62 times for 379 yards in a game against Oklahoma State. Morton also completed 28 of 45 passes for 325 yards and two scores in a win over West Virginia. There were some growing pains with him last season, and he needs to value the football better, but there's a lot of good tape out there of Morton last year.

12. Billy Edwards (Maryland)

Maryland backup quarterback Billy Edwards has turned heads when he's entered games for starter Taulia Tagovailoa. Edwards, in 2022, threw for three touchdowns and no picks with 308 yards and completed 60.9% of his throws. He's a 6-foot-4, 219-pound quarterback that is steady and accurate as a downfield passer but also a strong runner. He helped seal a win against Indiana last season with a late touchdown run. The sophomore signal-caller looks like he has a bright future for the Terrapins.

13. Dante Moore (UCLA)

Moore was squarely in the mix to start at quarterback for the Bruins, but Chip Kelly instead elected to go with veteran signal-caller Ethan Garbers for the opener. Moore is a five-star true freshman from Detroit King, the No. 3 quarterback in the 2023 class, with remarkable physical tools as a passer. Moore has the talent that wont be on the sideline for long at UCLA and is a name every college football fan will know. The Bruins also have highly regarded Kent State transfer Collin Schlee at quarterback as well and pushed for the starting job.

14. Jacolby Criswell (Arkansas)

Criswell spent a couple seasons at North Carolina as the backup to both Sam Howell and Drake Maye. Criswell is only about 6-foot, but he's got the mobility, processing and arm power to be a productive college quarterback. Arkansas obviously has a top-tier signal-caller in KJ Jefferson, but Criswell has what it takes to control the offense if needed. He was a four-star recruit from Morrilton (Ark.) High in the 2020 class.

15. LaNorris Sellers (South Carolina)

Luke Doty is listed as the backup for Spencer Rattler on the depth chart for South Carolina, but it wouldn't surprise anyone if Sellers surpasses Doty in the near future. Sellers is 6-foot-3, 245 pounds as true freshman freshman and some have said that he's Cam Newton 2.0. Sellers has maturity beyond his years and will be a huge force at the college level both passing and running. Sellers made some flashy plays in the South Carolina spring game and looked like he's developing at a fast pace. From Florence (S.C.) South Florence, Sellers was the No. 7 player in the Palmetto State for the 2023 class.

16. Conner Harrell (North Carolina)

Harrell was a prolific quarterback from Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson in the 2022 class. He threw for 42 touchdowns and three interceptions his senior year. Harrell has received nothing but praise since coming to Chapel Hill and offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey has noted his quick development. Harrell has the poise and ability to process at a high level for UNC when he gets on the field. He's strong armed and mobile enough to threaten the defense in multiple ways.

17. Max Johnson (Texas A&M)

The Aggies have named second-year quarterback Conner Weigman the starter under center for 2023. Johnson, a fourth-year player and transfer from LSU, has 38 touchdowns compared to seven interceptions in his career and should back Weigman up. He's flashed some bright moments but has also had times where he needed to unleash the football or buy time with his legs and couldn't do that. That said, Johnson is a very smart player and well equipped to lead the Aggies if needed.

18. Dylan Morris (Washington)

Morris was an All-Pac-12 honorable mention in 2020 for Washington as a freshman. He added starting experience in 2021 but had some struggles and didn't win enough games. Morris was able to sit behind Michael Penix in 2022 and get his feet underneath him. Morris doesn't really possess the deep arm talent that you need in the Washington offense, but he's got a quick and decisive trigger with underneath accuracy.

19. Ty Thompson (Oregon)

The third-year quarterback needed to wait and develop his game at Oregon after coming out of Gilbert (Ariz.) Mesquite as a top-100 player in 2021. Thompson has 6-foot-4, 215-pound size and plenty of arm. He's been able to sit behind some good quarterback play and study the game the past two seasons, and he will again in 2023 behind Bo Nix. Thompson has shown development in the spring game, and reports out of Eugene are encouraging in regards to Thompson's game.

20. Alex Orji (Michigan)

Is he a quarterback? A linebacker? A kick returner? Orji has a special physical skill set with freak athleticism and natural talent. He's just a football player. Orji has made some fantastic plays when he's been on the field and looks like a future star wherever he ends up playing. At 6-foot-3, 236 pounds, Orji has the strength and speed that will be tough to keep on the sideline.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I understand the concept in both Saban's mind, and in the minds of those who cover Bama, that he can just will something into existence because he's the GOAT. Problem is, that's not how the universe actually works. 

Bama has an okay stable of backs, fine. They don't have 5 high draft picks on the OL right now. They have Latham, who is highly regarded. They have Proctor, who will be in his second game, starting at LT. Is he the next Kelvin Banks? Maybe, however the odds don't favor that. The interior OL isn't loaded. The TE from Maryland is a jag. The QBs are a flat out concern. They have no one at WR that will keep defenses honest. 

All of that adds up to a plodding offense that is going to rely simply on the idea of out-talenting the opponent and being tougher than the opponent. They don't have the horses to out-talent multiple defenses on their schedule, Texas included. The notion that they're just going to be tougher to a discernible extent is laughable silliness. Texas played them tough last year. Other teams did as well. They didn't physically whip a bunch of teams' asses until they played KSU, frankly.

Nick Saban looked at what he had coming into this season at QB and said "I need a QB" and went and tried to buy one. That failed. He subsequently reviewed everything else and said "I don't have the difference makers at WR, TB, QB, or TE to keep up with Tennessee or Georgia. I need to try to shorten these ball games and just physically whip everyone. "

Everyone else looked at Bama and blindly bleated "well, it's Bama, they should be a CFP team even though they're going to post an offense from 15 years ago while replacing both coordinators and 16 starters, one being Bryce Young, another being Will Anderson. " Okay then. 

Maybe he should have looked at Greg Davis to consult and simplify his offense with something similar to 2004 Texas.  Kidding!

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I hope you're right.

I've tried to keep up with a lot of bama stuff this offseason since Texas plays them next week.  Last year Bama was undisciplined and weaker in the secondary.  Texas played them close in 2022 because bama kept shooting themselves in the foot with mistakes and penalties.

Next week should be a helluva game... expect bama to be improved on defense with better DB play, and better at running the ball.

Hopefully Texas makes some big plays on special teams that help the Horns win.  My biggest fear is once Quinn gets hit hard, will he be able stay strong in the pocket and make big throws in th 2nd half.

I still think bama is a top 5 team this year as long as they don't turn the ball over too much.

We caught Bama sleeping last year. They didn't expect us to hit them in the mouth. We won't get the drop on them again. 

That said, I think are fundamentally better as a football team this season and they are fundamentally worse. I don't think we need to catch them sleeping to win. 

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I hope you're right.

Why would you expect the Bama secondary to be better? McKinstry is a high draft pick, but he played like one last year too. They lost both safeties in the 2nd and 3rd round. They replace the NB. So they're doing that by starting a true freshman, a guy who was benched in favor of other players, and bringing in a G5 transfer. Terrion Arnold was also ultimately given up on for the season due to his consistent ineptitude. I expect the secondary to be worse, flat out. 

Beyond that, Bama has to replace the best defensive player in the country, a multi-year start at MLB, and numerous other dudes in the front 7. Yeah, they've got Dallas Turner coming back, but he had a shit year last season. They also bring back a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys and Oatis is a hoss. Nonetheless, there are a lot of question marks.

The biggest issue, and it may be a plus for them, but it may not, is that they're replacing Golding with Steele. Steele is going to make that defense vanilla and just try to whip each offense with better players. Nothing exotic or confusing, just asswhipping the offense. That's well and good, but that's to the advantage of solidly talented teams working with young QBs, including Texas. 

People think Bama is a top 5 team because ... Bama. Why not? They've been no lower than 7 to finish a season since 2007, so that has to continue, right? Maybe.

Same shit was said about FSU and Bowden until they had to replace a shit ton of their starting talent with new guys that had high rankings but weren't considered as dynamic as those they were replacing. That was 2001, when Bowden had turned 71. They lost veteran starters across both the offense and defense after 2000, including stars at QB, WR, TB, DL, LB, CB, and Safety, but they replaced all of those guys with other 4 and 5 star guys with significantly less experience heading into 2001, ranked in the preseason at #6.

There is zero correlation between 2000/2001 FSU and 2022/2023 Bama. Nothing tying one program to the other. I know that. Nonetheless, the similarities are pretty interesting. I don't blame anyone picking Bama, as they're far more likely to keep doing what they've been doing since Saban is the constant, in any event.

• Hook 'Em 7

52 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

There’s no reason to believe their secondary will be better by game 2 of this year. Their all-American Nickel from last year was drafted in the second round and their best safety was drafted in the third. Not to mention they lost the best pass rusher in CFB with no one on the roster who can come close to replacing his production. 

2 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

Bryce Young was holding that offense back, what with his Heisman and ability to complete forward passes...

Yep, Alabama will no doubt be better after losing BY.  Just like the B12 will be better without Texas and OU.  Seems obvious to those in the know.  

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Yep, Alabama will no doubt be better after losing BY.  Just like the B12 will be better without Texas and OU.  Seems obvious to those in the know.  

In reality Alabama will be in trouble if Texas has a fast start and grabs an early lead.  That will force them more toward the passing game which could go wrong for them fast.   No doubt they will go after Ewers and their DBs will be hanging on the Texas receivers until the officials call them for PI.  If they get away with as many PIs as last year it will be a long game. 

9 minutes ago, stork642 said:

In reality Alabama will be in trouble if Texas has a fast start and grabs an early lead.  That will force them more toward the passing game which could go wrong for them fast.   No doubt they will go after Ewers and their DBs will be hanging on the Texas receivers until the officials call them for PI.  If they get away with as many PIs as last year it will be a long game. 

I wouldn’t hold your breath. 

• Rage+1 1

I really look forward to all the mouth-breathers continuing to spout the "Bama Bully-Ball" bullshit next week, and how Texas will just get manhandled in that game. Our DL and OL are massive. We are not a fucking G5 Try-hard team. Those fucks said the same shit about USC in 2005, then USC saw our team and were like...fuck, these guys are as big and fast as we are. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

I hope you're right.
I've been watching Saban's pressers the past few weeks for clues and he doesn't seem panicked or worried in the least.

Having said that I bet he's a helluva poker player. Who knows what he really thinks about this years Tide.

4 minutes ago, ousux said:

I've been watching Saban's pressers the past few weeks for clues and he doesn't seem panicked or worried in the least.

Having said that I bet he's a helluva poker player. Who knows what he really thinks about this years Tide.

That or he’s so convinced of his own brilliance that he thinks he can just will things into existence.

That or he’s so convinced of his own brilliance that he thinks he can just will things into existence.
Welp, can't really argue with that. People have been predicting the imminent demise of Bama off and on for nearly a decade now. Just like Tom Brady, (who I can't stand) you can't argue about who's the goat, and no amount of wishcasting can change things.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

There’s no reason to believe their secondary will be better by game 2 of this year. Their all-American Nickel from last year was drafted in the second round and their best safety was drafted in the third. Not to mention they lost the best pass rusher in CFB with no one on the roster who can come close to replacing his production. 

Game 2 is a huge point. Bama has plenty of talent. Texas will be their 1st opponent with a pulse this season. They are bringing in 2 new coordinators. They love the freshmen safety that will start. Can Sark dial up something for him? Bama was very undisciplined last year. Can they fix that and be assignment sound in 2 new systems in week 2? There isn’t a better time to catch Bama this year 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

Fuck yea! Im ready to watch Ford blow through the middle of that line and nail Milroe. 

Also, pumped if they want to do Ewers a favor and simplify the defense. Good luck “out talenting” Worthy/AD/Sanders/JWitt. 

Edited by MH BEVO
  • Hook 'Em 3

48 minutes ago, MH BEVO said:

Fuck yea! Im ready to watch Ford blow through the middle of that line and nail Milroe. 

Also, pumped if they want to do Ewers a favor and simplify the defense. Good luck “out talenting” Worthy/AD/Sanders/JWitt. 

Don’t sleep on Neyor and Cook.  We’re absurdly deep with pass catchers.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

NFL teams don’t even really care about the running game anymore.  They operate out of more pro style sets and try to keep the defense honest with some runs rather than than copying the Leach air raid, but it’s all about the passing game.  College football is trending the same way.  

A lot of that has to do with the rules and the refs. If there were fewer defensive pass interference calls and more offensive illegal picks called, if the defense could hold some beyond 5 yards, if the offensive line could hold more in the run game and hold less in the passing game, etc., teams would begin running more. However, because people like to see high scoring games and like having QBs as the heroes, the game is skewed towards the passing game.

Edited by Bevo

Start Brooks in first 3-4 games and rotate CB4 in early.  Give them similar number of carries and let them prove it on the field.
Plenty of carries each game to feed both...

Alternatively, if brooks plays well, even if they both do, play brooks enough to get him drafted and save some miles on Baxter ahead of next season. I believe we will be in a lot of run the clock situations this year which will help us rack up rushing yards for multiple players. I’d like to see a real reversal in our nfl draft output , and brooks could be an important piece in that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I mean if Baxter is potentially the next Bijan, let’s hope Sark doesn’t handicap him his freshman year like turtle Tom. I feel pretty good about the staff letting the best players play regardless of class

Lets be clear, Baxter is not the next Bijan. Bijan is a once every 10 year kind of guy. And they're not the same kind of runner. Baxter is more downhill. Bijan is more "And Hollywood goes, where'd who go?!?!"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm not sure if it's just 995 fodder but sounds like Cedric Baxter is really pushing Brooks for that #1 RB spot....potentially could overtake him as season goes on.

The word is that they think they have multiple draft picks in the backfield, ultimately. They're happy to play Brooks, Robinson and even Blue. The issue, which is a good one, is that Baxter needs to be on the field, early. He apparently doesn't have any reason to be on the bench unless he's gassed. 

2 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I hope we knock the hell out of Milroe. They also won’t have Gibbs who was a bigger threat towards the end of the season but we definitely stand a chance in this game. 

You mention Gibbs and it's an excellent point to bring up. Gibbs is a stud. Bama normally has true studs at TB. They have two freshmen who might eventually fit that bill, maybe. Great reviews on both early from a friend of mine, but that person is the most reliable narrator when it comes to what they're seeing inside the stadium at practices. McClellan and Miller are damned good ballplayers.

That considered, none of those guys are viewed as being viable run and pass threats on par with the likes of Gibbs, Najee Harris, or Damien Harris, and none of these guys appear to be Henry, Yeldon, Lacy, or Drake (pre-injury) level of excellent. Maybe they get there, but none of them will require special prep by game 2 of 2023.

14 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

We typically hear that the biggest challenge for frosh RBs is blitz pickup and reading blocks properly. Is Baxter ahead of the game in these areas, or is it simply a matter of his physical talents being at a level where the nuances of the position don't matter at this point?

A week or two ago Sark mentioned Baxter's ability to block in pass pro in a presser. Have to guess it is advanced for a freshmen. We will find out soon enough though . 

Edited by Codaxx

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I find it somewhat shocking that Shaun Alexander has an award named after him.  I mean, nice player and all, but doesn’t quite fit in at the table with Jim Thorpe, Bronko Nagurski, Doak Walker, etc.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, cmontexas said:

As JAG as Ovie Ogufo was at rushing the passer, he at least had serviceable lateral quickness and run defense. 

Collins has to proves he is quick enough to set the edge vs a QB that is a real running threat.

As great as Bryce Young was, he posed zero threat to run which placed very little stress on our edges. 

isn't Collins more athletic, pretty much across the board, than Ovie?

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The word is that they think they have multiple draft picks in the backfield, ultimately. They're happy to play Brooks, Robinson and even Blue. The issue, which is a good one, is that Baxter needs to be on the field, early. He apparently doesn't have any reason to be on the bench unless he's gassed. 

You mention Gibbs and it's an excellent point to bring up. Gibbs is a stud. Bama normally has true studs at TB. They have two freshmen who might eventually fit that bill, maybe. Great reviews on both early from a friend of mine, but that person is the most reliable narrator when it comes to what they're seeing inside the stadium at practices. McClellan and Miller are damned good ballplayers.

That considered, none of those guys are viewed as being viable run and pass threats on par with the likes of Gibbs, Najee Harris, or Damien Harris, and none of these guys appear to be Henry, Yeldon, Lacy, or Drake (pre-injury) level of excellent. Maybe they get there, but none of them will require special prep by game 2 of 2023.

I think Haynes is going to be one of the better backs they've had.. heard he's banged up though

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I find it somewhat shocking that Shaun Alexander has an award named after him.  I mean, nice player and all, but doesn’t quite fit in at the table with Jim Thorpe, Bronko Nagurski, Doak Walker, etc.

Because I had him on my fantasy football team in 2005, I disagree.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

isn't Collins more athletic, pretty much across the board, than Ovie?

By all accounts AC is an NFL caliber lineman physically that for whatever reason has never seemed to put it together consistently. I hope he pulls a John Harris in his final year as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lets be clear, Baxter is not the next Bijan. Bijan is a once every 10 year kind of guy. And they're not the same kind of runner. Baxter is more downhill. Bijan is more "And Hollywood goes, where'd who go?!?!"

I do wonder if Baxter's running style plays a role in who will be the starter come Big 12 play. 

A lot of Big 12 defenses are fairly undersized this year on the DL. Finding a bigger back that can run between the tackles with all the outside weapons at (WR/TE) might be the best approach from a purely stylistic standpoint at RB. 

56 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

We typically hear that the biggest challenge for frosh RBs is blitz pickup and reading blocks properly. Is Baxter ahead of the game in these areas, or is it simply a matter of his physical talents being at a level where the nuances of the position don't matter at this point?

Baxter is the biggest back on the roster and gets downhill. 

I can't remember the press conference but Sark pretty much implied that he knows teams are going to have to commit numbers to the perimeter to defend our WRs and TEs. I'm pretty sure Sark knows that if he can find a back that can run downhill between the tackles there's a lot of ability for success this year. 

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Why not? Butkis has an award named after him and Butkis could not carry Nobis' jock

47 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I do wonder if Baxter's running style plays a role in who will be the starter come Big 12 play. 

A lot of Big 12 defenses are fairly undersized this year on the DL. Finding a bigger back that can run between the tackles with all the outside weapons at (WR/TE) might be the best approach from a purely stylistic standpoint at RB. 

Wells/Gerry said as much in one of their recent videos.  Assuming Sark wants to run Inside Zone they said Baxter is that guy.   

• Hook 'Em 1