Arch Manning Being "Arch"

LTtxfan

On 5/8/2024 at 9:46 AM, Park Gothic said:

Saw this posted on OTF but didn't see it here. I know this was already common knowledge, but it's still nice to see it again. 

TexasLonghornsandthe2025NFLDraft-Articles-OnTexasFootball.thumb.jpg.24d663035938f229b094784d20443114.jpg

At least two years with Arch as Texas starter beginning 2025 is gruntling...  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)

I love how Gerry and the other pundits expound on how "the Manning family" does things, as if they operate out of some sort of mafia war room.

Arch probably listens to his uncles and his granddad.  I suspect he listens most to his own parents.  To say Arch might not go NFL with only one season of starting is pure conjecture, and likely not grounded in any real inside information.

Edited by jimmyjazz
speling
  • Haha 1

I love how Gerry and the other pundits expound on how "the Manning family" does things, as if they operate out of some sort of mafia war room.
Arch probably listens to his uncles and his granddad.  I suspect he listens most to his own parents.  To say Arch might not go NFL with only one season of starting is pure conjecture, and likely not grounded in any real inside information.

I'm sure like most people his age, Arch only listens to his parents, and only the parts he wants to hear. Next up on the list would be grandparents, but I doubt the uncles are hitting him up on the regular...and like you said there are no mafia style family meetings.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I like how y'all both rip on Jerry for speculating about how the Manning family works and then immediately speculate on how the Manning family work. 

Ooh, sick burn.  Sorry, Gerry's mom.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm sure like most people his age, Arch only listens to his parents, and only the parts he wants to hear. Next up on the list would be grandparents, but I doubt the uncles are hitting him up on the regular...and like you said there are no mafia style family meetings.

I dunno ... if my uncle was Peyton Manning I'd probably listen to what he has to say.

• Hook 'Em 5

I dunno ... if my uncle was Peyton Manning I'd probably listen to what he has to say.
If the uncles choose to say much of anything, sure. If Peyton and Eli were constantly badgering Arch with advice that would be disrespectful to their other brother who is more than capable of raising his own son. All I'm saying is when people talk of the "Manning family" or "Manning braintrust" etc..what they're picturing in their mind likely has no basis in reality.

Yes, you definitely listen to your parents... you might want to listen to your other rando relatives... you know, two College Football Hall of Fame inductions, three SEC player of the year awards, 20 cumulative Pro Bowl selections, seven first-team All-Pro selections, five NFL MVP awards, six Super Bowl appearances, four Super Bowl victories, three Super Bowl MVP awards.

• Hook 'Em 6

His family has said many times in various interviews they want him to do it right.

That leads me to believe they want him to take the old school approach, same as his family. When they did it, it was a lot of RS/BU/ST/ST/draft.

That appears to be the current trajectory, which is fine. No need to rush off early just for money. Get your head straight, and be well prepared when you do enter the draft. I’m fine with that, and he’s on the right track.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Yes, you definitely listen to your parents... you might want to listen to your other rando relatives... you know, two College Football Hall of Fame inductions, three SEC player of the year awards, 20 cumulative Pro Bowl selections, seven first-team All-Pro selections, five NFL MVP awards, six Super Bowl appearances, four Super Bowl victories, three Super Bowl MVP awards.

And still a disappointment to their mothers. 

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Nobody is suggesting that Arch shouldn't (or isn't) taking their advice.  My only point is that it would be odd to have some sort of scripted approach to his college/pro career that everyone is in on.

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 9:46 AM, Park Gothic said:

Saw this posted on OTF but didn't see it here. I know this was already common knowledge, but it's still nice to see it again. 

TexasLonghornsandthe2025NFLDraft-Articles-OnTexasFootball.thumb.jpg.24d663035938f229b094784d20443114.jpg

I feel like someone has posted about this before. 
 🤔

2 hours ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

"the Manning family" does things, as if they operate out of some sort of mafia war room

IMG_5117.jpeg

IMG_5118.png

IMG_5120.jpeg

IMG_5119.jpeg

IMG_5116.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

It's stupid to suggest that QBs don't get hurt behind good OLines. The best lines in the game still give up sacks.

Hell Aikman got hit so many times he retired early and he played behind the most revered Oline that ever did it.

I say that just as transition to say Campbell and Williams are gonna smash people on the right side like Nate and Erik (Williams)

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/6/2024 at 10:19 PM, Pig Bellmont said:

Can I step in and say y’all are nuts. Ewers (if healthy) is a top 5 qb next season 

I mean, if he’s the Heisman favorite, in theory, he should be the number 1 qb. Not sure how it will shake out of course, but that seems to be the consensus. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 5:03 PM, cmontexas said:

Hell Aikman got hit so many times he retired early and he played behind the most revered Oline that ever did it.

Not sure that's a great example. Aikman was a tackling dummy his first couple of years in the league. They were teeing off, and they were allowed to absolutely punish the QB back then in ways that would never fly now. I've never seen a QB take a worse beating for so long. The OL didn't get good until later. He took 58 sacks and a helluva lot more hits those first two years, in just 26 games played, while the team went 8-24.

Edited by wood

Not sure that's a great example. Aikman was a tackling dummy his first couple of years in the league. They were teeing off, and they were allowed to absolutely punish the QB back then in ways that would never fly now. I've never seen a QB take a worse beating for so long. The OL didn't get good until later. He took 58 sacks and a helluva lot more hits those first two years, while the team went 8-24.
Who was the Texans QB a while back, Carr or something like that? That dude spent his entire career in Houston eating turf.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ousux said:
30 minutes ago, wood said:
Not sure that's a great example. Aikman was a tackling dummy his first couple of years in the league. They were teeing off, and they were allowed to absolutely punish the QB back then in ways that would never fly now. I've never seen a QB take a worse beating for so long. The OL didn't get good until later. He took 58 sacks and a helluva lot more hits those first two years, while the team went 8-24.

Who was the Texans QB a while back, Carr or something like that? That dude spent his entire career in Houston eating turf.

David Carr.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah, Aikman's first two seasons probably cut his career short by three or four years.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, wood said:

Not sure that's a great example. Aikman was a tackling dummy his first couple of years in the league. They were teeing off, and they were allowed to absolutely punish the QB back then in ways that would never fly now. I've never seen a QB take a worse beating for so long. The OL didn't get good until later. He took 58 sacks and a helluva lot more hits those first two years, in just 26 games played, while the team went 8-24.

I invite you to see if you can find footage of Cam Newton’s time in Carolina.

Defenders would launch themselves and spear Cam in the chin with the tops of their helmets in ways that were illegal to do against any player in any position in the NFL and refs didn’t give a shit.

I have never seen a better example of secret direction from the home office to allow opposing players to take down a player that the shit that was allowed to be done against Cam Newton. I recall a nationally televised game in the fall of 2016 or ‘17 where Newton probably received 6 or 7 headshots in a single game and not one was called. (He will absolutely develop CTE.)

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Defenders would launch themselves and spear Cam in the chin with the tops of their helmets in ways that were illegal to do against any player in any position in the NFL and refs didn’t give a shit.

I have never seen a better example of secret direction from the home office to allow opposing players to take down a player that the shit that was allowed to be done against Cam Newton. I recall a nationally televised game in the fall of 2016 or ‘17 where Newton probably received 6 or 7 headshots in a single game and not one was called. (He will absolutely develop CTE.)

I remember it was rough for him too, and I don't doubt he took those shots, but I do doubt it was worse or for longer than what Aikman took. Of course there's no way to prove that, but Aikman was taking every kind of shot there is, including the kind you described, and frequently, for 3 seasons. Helmet to the head, helmet to the face, helmet in the ribs, helmet in the kidneys, late hits, side of the knees, hi-lo, body slammed, driven into the turf. Anything they could dream up, and the refs didn't say shit, either.  

Edited by wood
  • Rage+1 1

On 5/13/2024 at 8:55 PM, LTtxfan said:

Off-season... just stumbled on this old high school Arch clip... 

He's probably better there than some of our QBs from 2010 to Ehlinger. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, wood said:

I remember it was rough for him too, and I don't doubt he took those shots, but I do doubt it was worse or for longer than what Aikman took. Of course there's no way to prove that, but Aikman was taking every kind of shot there is, including the kind you described, and frequently, for 3 seasons. Helmet to the head, helmet to the face, helmet in the ribs, helmet in the kidneys, late hits, side of the knees, hi-lo, body slammed, driven into the turf. Anything they could dream up, and the refs didn't say shit, either.  

Players routinely played the next week after concussions, often while still experiencing symptoms. Aikman went to the hospital after the concussion he suffered in the 93 NFC Championship and didn’t know where he was or why he was there for several hours. He has said he doesn’t remember any of the game prior to the TBI which is very bad. Said he watches it on video and it’s like watching a different person. And he started and won the Superbowl 7 days later. 

image.gif.da91bebcd41a4d96db19e860b78ac21b.gif

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Wait, is there is some tinfoil hat conspiracy I have never heard of that the league was trying to get the 2015 MVP and superbowl runner up QB knocked out of the league? Is that a thing? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Wait, is there is some tinfoil hat conspiracy I have never heard of that the league was trying to get the 2015 MVP and superbowl runner up QB knocked out of the league? Is that a thing? 

Who knew Cam Newton posted here?
  • Haha 2

he said in an interview, on the record, that he didn’t retire for health reasons.  he wasn’t having fun anymore losing games and missed the discipline that jimmy provided the team.  he didn’t like being the bad cop and didn’t enjoy the game so he quit.  he said if jimmy were still around and they were winning he’d have kept playing.  and briefly considered going to miami.  something like that.  but it wasn’t his back or the concussions, which is what everyone seems to believe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/15/2024 at 7:21 PM, Napoleon said:

I think some guys are immune to CTE

cam-newton-pink-hat.jpg?resize=800,451&s