Week 1 2023 - Rice @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

14 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

My Dad will most likely be the “shortest” player of the 80+ old guys out there with gray hair. He at least has hair, so that’s good for me.

Hook’em!!!

is Charles Buckalew gonna be there? because he's pretty short.

is Charles Buckalew gonna be there? because he's pretty short.

I don’t know, as only about 35 of them are still here, counting coaching and athletic staff.

At least UT is putting them in the new South EZ or West side, after being on the field. It’s too damn hot to have a bunch of Octogenarians on the MFG field week one!

Hook’em!!!

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

Will it rain on Saturday?  Will a concussed John Mackovic be on the sidelines? 

Get the fuck out with that upset talk.

too soon

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

RIP Bill. Great article. Rice being competitive with Texas is before my time. Before I was born, even.

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

My second favorite thing about a coach is trolling the press.

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Futureman. 

Naw. Yankees fan. Ergo, Helobious.

5 hours ago, runthebone said:

He's a Yankees fan?  Haha, I hate that fucker even more.

like i said

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Rice used to play Texas competitively, but Texas is 43-2 since JFKs speech 

the JFK curse?

That 1994 Rice game was fucking awful.  It was a weird week being a Sunday game.  So there was an extra night when players had a curfew but were not in a hote, so basically an honor system...

A bunch of players broke that curfew and were out on 6th doing college kid stuff, nothing illegal beyond some guys under 21 drinking.  Well a Dline coach saw some players out who all happened to be black, and those guys got suspended but none of the white guys who were also breaking curfew got suspended because they weren't seen/caught.  This really split the team and there was talk of dudes sitting out in protest.

So the game happens and we try and throw in monsoon conditions without top targets and the defense is phoning it in, they were the guys talking about sitting out.  We lose and the cherry on top was Westbrook suffering a season ending injury.

Team notes from IT

Spoiler

The fresh cut grass; the breakfast tacos; the iced down beers for after the On Texas Football watch-along; the wings for after the breakfast tacos; three TV’s going all day long and into the night. What could be better?

Saturday is the beginning to see if we’ve chronicled Steve Sarkisian‘s Longhorns accurately this offseason. Quite frequently our info has paired with what Sark has said publicly, so that’s either really good or really bad. I lean heavy towards the former. 

Normally before the first game we source info on how Texas could miss expectations. After a Summer of excitement, it’s important to try to account for things that aren’t likely to show up until the paint starts flying. In previous offseasons there was negative carryover from August practice into the season. Last year there were concerns about the passing attack and just how ready the team was to win. I recall another offseason where the cornerbacks could not locate the ball in the air and that ended up being cornerback coach Jason Washington’s last year. 

This season there aren’t a whole lot of evident question marks outside of maybe iOL, Buck, and Will. There will be growing pains at those positions but it’s doubtful they’ll be debilitating. With that being the case we’re left to grasp.

Potential Hiccups

One source mentioned a potential hiccup would be complacency. If the team starts off good and then thinks that’s good enough, it won’t be. They have to make the consistent effort to improve throughout the season and block out headlines. Due to team leadership that will probably be the case.

Another source mentioned they could potentially fall short if the best players aren’t maximized or enough guys didn’t develop as much as they hoped throughout the offseason. I’m fading that one as a concern but I suppose it’s possible. 

Lack of complementary football was mentioned similar to last year. The concern being the defense can’t get off the field to help the offense or the offense can’t stay on the field to help the defense. I’m fading that one as a concern, too, because I think if good old fashioned execution doesn’t carry the day, talent will.

Another potential concern is situational awareness and awareness going into each game. Said the source, “teams are going to be extremely aggressive against Texas. If Texas comes out slow or gets in a shootout then the margin for error shrinks and the game could turn on a bad bounce or the refs.” 

As for situational awareness, we’ve been asked a bunch about how Sarkisian and his staff have addressed that. I won’t go into too much detail, but special teams assistant Joe DeCamillis has played a very big role here. The long-time NFL special teams coordinator has repeatedly gone over just about every situation imaginable with both the coaches and players. You can’t really simulate game stress for coaches or players but they’ve certainly prepared for those moments. This is geared more towards clock management and being smart in the moment.

Personnel

IT doesn’t know who the starting field cornerback will be but the best guess is Terrance Brooks will hold off Gavin Holmes. It’s still very, very close.

Prepare to see a healthy dose of Anthony Hill tomorrow. With Morice Blackwell out Hill becomes David Gbenda‘s backup at Will. I don’t know how much they’ll show Bama their intentions for Hill this year but we’ll probably get a good glimpse given they showed Hill in different spots during the Spring game. Hill has done extra prep for his specified role. 

You’ll likely see a good glimpse of Liona Lefau behind Jaylan Ford tomorrow. Lefau will also feature on special teams. Other special teamers to note are Tre Wisner and Jelani McDonald. Wisner is said to be a tough, gritty player who understands the game and runs down the field ready to hit. I’m looking forward to seeing him. I think we know what McDonald brings to the table. 

You can expect Xavier Worthy and Keilan Robinson as punt and kick returners respectively, though I suspect we may see others as the game wears on. 

Finally

There are some new packages for this year that IT doesn’t yet know enough about. Sounds like we’re going to get to learn about those together. The staff is taking the training wheels off.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Hozz said:

That 1994 Rice game was fucking awful.  It was a weird week being a Sunday game.  So there was an extra night when players had a curfew but were not in a hote, so basically an honor system...

A bunch of players broke that curfew and were out on 6th doing college kid stuff, nothing illegal beyond some guys under 21 drinking.  Well a Dline coach saw some players out who all happened to be black, and those guys got suspended but none of the white guys who were also breaking curfew got suspended because they weren't seen/caught.  This really split the team and there was talk of dudes sitting out in protest.

So the game happens and we try and throw in monsoon conditions without top targets and the defense is phoning it in, they were the guys talking about sitting out.  We lose and the cherry on top was Westbrook suffering a season ending injury.

Oh and we inexplicably started a gimpy Shea Morenz instead of James Brown right after his big OU win. 

On 8/31/2023 at 3:36 PM, msucolt45 said:

Seriously, if anyone can post either field or the scoreboard pictures of the ‘63 Team pre-game, I’d appreciate it if you’d post them here, as I will not be in attendance.

Thank you in advance.

Hook’em!!!

whatever happens will be carried on LHN and i would expect belmont to post it on youtube as well

I’ve got Texas 56, Rice 3 
texas is a 35.5 point favorite and the over under is 59.5. At our book we just put down Texas and the under and the odds were +510.  
So glad football is back in our lives. 

Are you saying that you bet a parlay with Texas to cover and the under and the odds for the parlay are +510?

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Depth chart.  No Neto??

So we've either got an injury or the first 2022 OL portal entry.

Robertson at backup C over Hutson is interesting. I'm skeptical that's how it would play out if Majors actually went down (knock on wood).

CJ Baxter first name in the RB room and Kris Ross ahead of Tapp on the edge. #eyesemoji

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

So we've either got an injury or the first 2022 OL portal entry.

Robertson at backup C over Hutson is interesting. I'm skeptical that's how it would play out if Majors actually went down (knock on wood).

CJ Baxter first name in the RB room and Kris Ross ahead of Tapp on the edge. #eyesemoji

Was Tapp the one who had his appendix removed around the start of camp?

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Blackwell on the chart even though he's injured. Some real "fuck it, it's Rice" vibes.

Think it's more that he's just out a couple weeks at this point as opposed for the majority of the season. Omitting Neto entirely is the biggest piece of intrigue to me.

Excited to watch Baxter. I didn't think he looked shitty in the spring or anything, but he didn't look to me like a guy who was gonna be at the top of the depth chart week one. 

I don't know how much I'd read into that depth chart. For one reason, it lists 13 starters on defense. Three DTs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Anyone have a stream for the game? FOX and Dish network are still passing on each other's boots. It's weird, right before I posted this I had a notice come up on my phone about "mirroring" where I can view my phone videos, streams on my television. I'd whole lot rather watch it on my 75" Samsung than my 5" phone at 4am Sunday morning. Anyone familiar with this situation?