2023 Texas @ Alabama - 6pm on ESPN

Pancho

The idiocy of some Surly-ites is amazing, and like the waves of the ocean, sadly, will never go away. It begs the question, "How the hell did you get into Texas?"

Sports media across the country, including some of the most self-anointed homers in College Sports (SEC, UA, LSU, OU, etc.), are falling over themselves praising Texas for a "performance for the ages", countless examples of quality athletes whipping and demoralizing Ala-f*cking-bama on their home turf. The difficulties the homers have in stating emphatically that, ... gulp, ... "I'm an Idiot", "I was wrong about Texas", "Texas has a much better team",  "Texas is is the best team in the country!", etc. etc.

And yet, some of you post such ignorant things, that ..., that ...

71e03a2a-d676-4c46-8baa-616ba23d43c1_tex

Please, go away.

5 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Duvernay was also hampered by that dipshit S&C coach we had under herman that tried to turn him into a bowling ball. Duv would have been a fucking animal if he were more flexible and lighter, he was still a bad ass but he carried way too much bulky weight. 

Is that you, Grant Delpit?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, PTINS said:

The idiocy of some Surly-ites is amazing, and like the waves of the ocean, sadly, will never go away. It begs the question, "How the hell did you get into Texas?"

Sports media across the country, including some of the most self-anointed homers in College Sports (SEC, UA, LSU, OU, etc.), are falling over themselves praising Texas for a "performance for the ages", countless examples of quality athletes whipping and demoralizing Ala-f*cking-bama on their home turf. The difficulties the homers have in stating emphatically that, ... gulp, ... "I'm an Idiot", "I was wrong about Texas", "Texas has a much better team",  "Texas is is the best team in the country!", etc. etc.

And yet, some of you post such ignorant things, that ..., that ...

71e03a2a-d676-4c46-8baa-616ba23d43c1_tex

Please, go away.

It doesn’t beg the question. It raises the question. I mean, If we’re talking about how people got into, or out of, Texas and all. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Not sure how to rate these (other than Jordan Shipley at #1) but there are the best WR's this school has ever had:

Jordan Shipley

Quan Cosby

Devin Duvernay

LJH

Roy Williams

Kwame Cavil

Mike Adams

Honorable Mention: Xavier Worthy, Wane McGarity, BJ Johnson, Marquise Goodwin, Limas Sweed, Jaxon Shipley

We probably have a few other players in addition to Worthy who will make it on to this list before they leave the 40 Acres.

Cotton Spyrer and Johnny Lam Jones check in and say... uh.. hi?

• Hook 'Em 6

I’ve been an unabashed X fan, and said two years ago he’d be the best receiver to ever play at Texas, BUT last year was not great. We can all theorize why, but so far based on his performance he hasn’t cracked the top 5 at Texas. However, he still has time, including to make it to #1. He has the speed and moves. Does he have everything else? We gonna find out soon enough. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Lidig8r said:

I didn't go back that far because we didn't throw much and I didn't start watching Texas football until the early 80's. I'm probably remiss in not including the Cash Brothers or Johnny Walker as well. I bet they could've put him some big numbers playing in today's game.

2 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Not better than Roy or Shipley, so that cuts down the margin for top 3. McGarity and Adams are right there. 

In an alternate universe, Lam Jones gets to play in Sarkisian’s system and it wouldn’t go well for defenses. Metcalf wasn’t a receiver, per se, but could you imagine what Sarkisian would have done with him? 

He’s 2 games into his Jr season… if he continues to produce at this rate for the rest of the season, he’ll be a solid top 3.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Lidig8r said:

I hate doing this, because Lam is a legend, but don't let his shiny, Olympic gold medal blind you to the fact that he was not a good wide receiver.  Elite speed, obviously, difficult to cover, but hands of stone.

35 minutes ago, PTINS said:

1970: Cotton Speyrer with a 45 yard catch & run for a TD, to take a 20-17 lead over UCLA with 12 seconds left, preserving the  #2 ranked and defending National Champion's 23 game winning streak, paving the way to a 30 game streak and the 1970 National Championship. I remember this day; we were playing football in the front yard, and my friends older brother came flying out of the house, blowing the screen door off the house, jumping and shouting, "We Won!! We Won!!!"

That was the first year we had our current season tickets and the first Longhorn game I ever saw in person

Found video of the catch at the 2:27 mark

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

My wife and I just had this conversation the other day, and we decided the answer is Jordan Shipley.  Then, she let me know that him and Colt were roommates.

11 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

No shit!? I didn't know that... did you know that Texas never offered Texas legacy, Charlie Brewer?

I'll bet neither of you, nor your wives knew that Colt/Case's dad was a teammate of Jordan/Jaxon's dad.  Absolute true story!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PTINS said:

Yes!  Not sure if they're included as best receivers ever, but each of them delivered iconic plays in the history of Texas Football.

1970: Cotton Speyrer with a 45 yard catch & run for a TD, to take a 20-17 lead over UCLA with 12 seconds left, preserving the  #2 ranked and defending National Champion's 23 game winning streak, paving the way to a 30 game streak and the 1970 National Championship. I remember this day; we were playing football in the front yard, and my friends older brother came flying out of the house, blowing the screen door off the house, jumping and shouting, "We Won!! We Won!!!"

1978: Johnny "Lam" Jones, 4x100 Olympic Gold Medalist, 103 yard KO return for a touchdown, taking 12 seconds off the clock (he did have to make a move to avoid the kicker).  

Wasn't this the last KO return for a touchdown until the mid 2000s?

5 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

Wasn't this the last KO return for a touchdown until the mid 2000s?

Yes, the next one was Ike in the Holiday Bowl in 2000

4:05 mark

If you want to feel old, consider that it's now been longer since Ike's return than it was between Jones and Ike's returns.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, PTINS said:

And don't forget Speyrer's other legendary catch in the 1970 Cotton Bowl.

-- Down 14-17, 2:26 left in 4thQ, 4 and 2 at the Notre Dame 10-yard line.

-- James Street, under heavy pressure, tosses a very low pass to Speyrer, who somehow made a diving catch with an Irish DB on his back, scooping the ball just off the grasstop, at the 2-yard line. Epic clutch pass and catch.

-- Horns score winning TD three plays later. Royal could have played for tie and still have a title, but that was not Royal's M/O. 

Pick up the video at 11:24 mark. The reply has best shot of Speyrer's catch.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Just two games into his junior season Worthy is already

Second most receptions in a single game(14) behind Shipley(15)
12th in receiving yards in a career, with 10 yards he passes Limas in this category for 11th and if his current pace for the season continues and he's healthy will finish top 5 in career in just 3 seasons.
Second in receiving touchdowns in a season(12) behind Shipley(13)
Third All time in receiving touchdowns(21) behind Roy(36) and Shipley(33)
11th in receptions for a career(134) - If he gets to his 61 catch average this season that will push him past BJ, Kwame, Mike Adams, Duverney, and Collin Johnson. 

I really like Worthy, except for the drops.  That said, I have a hard time (not just here, but in general) taking bulk counting stats as an accurate measure when comparing across generations.  The game changes so much, both schematically and architecturally, that Williams, Cavil, and Adams were not playing the same game of football that Worthy plays.  Counting stats don't capture that.

That said, Worthy's book is not written and if he's the number one guy all season for a potentially very successful Longhorn team, he could get there as far as historical weight.

Edited by Darth Tron
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Darth Tron said:

I really like Worthy, except for the drops.  That said, I have a hard time (not just here, but in general) taking bulk counting stats as an accurate measure when comparing across generations.  The game changes so much, both schematically and architecturally, that Williams, Cavil, and Adams were not playing the same game of football that Worthy plays.  Counting stats don't capture that.

That said, Worthy's book is not written and if he's the number one guy all season for a potentially very successful Longhorn team, he could get there as far as historical weight.

Especially if he continues making big catches in the biggest games. I’m all in favor of his becoming a legend this season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Shipley and moreso Cosby were basically grown ass men in their tenures here. They were both nails though. Same with Duvernay, they all seemed to catch everything thrown their way. With that said none of them were as naturally gifted as Worthy and despite the drops he'll likely finish top 3 in most WR stats in only 3 years and that's with him only getting really good QB play atmost 1 1/2 of those years. I get it that some of you don't care for him but he is definitely top 3 imo. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I think a bunch of the takes in the last couple pages are insane but they make me think in the offseason we should do a series where we collaboratively do writeups and show highlights of historical players

Surly is in mid season form. 

5 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

That was the first year we had our current season tickets and the first Longhorn game I ever saw in person

Found video of the catch at the 2:27 mark

Like first home game or something. As a freshman, we drew fifty yard line seats 4 rows up. Thought, boy I'll do this every week. The play before, the new QB, red-headed kid I think, Eddie? Phillips, who replaced Street, maybe, went back to pass and was bliind-sided. The ball kicked out sideways and bounced half way across the field, two teams in pursuit. It beat them to the sidelines, so we had one more shot. The crowd was silent, praying for a miracle. 20 seconds on the clock. Then came Spreyer. Unfucking believable. Crossed the goal line with 12 seconds left. The stadium erupted like you wouldn't believe. When the game ended, seemed like everyone rushed the field. It was mayhem. Next day, the Daily Texan had a pic of Spreyer making that catch with Tommy What's his name, Prothro, the UCLA coach staring straight ahead, mouth agape.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

On 9/9/2023 at 11:52 PM, orangebird said:

No worries, I'm not offended.  I got this stuff at a 7-11 in Osaka.  I know it is cheap shit.  Purely a sentimental memento of our trip there.  It's probably more the fact that I had to ride on a goddamn airplane for 14 hours to bring it back from there, so it means a teeny bit more.

20230914_222548.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Shipley and moreso Cosby were basically grown ass men in their tenures here. They were both nails though. Same with Duvernay, they all seemed to catch everything thrown their way. With that said none of them were as naturally gifted as Worthy and despite the drops he'll likely finish top 3 in most WR stats in only 3 years and that's with him only getting really good QB play atmost 1 1/2 of those years. I get it that some of you don't care for him but he is definitely top 3 imo. 

A couple of points:

- Some people don't like him because he has held UT hostage each year for more money which seems to indicate that he has little love for the school and is simply a paid employee.

- He is a great athlete and faster and quicker than most other football players. But he seems to give up on plays, doesn't track the ball, lacks concentration, and drops a lot of catchable balls. Drawing from basketball, similar criticisms were made abut Shaquille O'neal. He was bigger, stronger, and quicker than most big men in the history of the NBA. However, there wasn't a lot of development or refinement in his game. His shot and ball skills were always questionable. In Shaq's case, he will go down as one of the NBAs greats but still left so much on the table where he could have been a more complete player.

24 minutes ago, Bevo said:

A couple of points:

- Some people don't like him because he has held UT hostage each year for more money which seems to indicate that he has little love for the school and is simply a paid employee.

- He is a great athlete and faster and quicker than most other football players. But he seems to give up on plays, doesn't track the ball, lacks concentration, and drops a lot of catchable balls. Drawing from basketball, similar criticisms were made abut Shaquille O'neal. He was bigger, stronger, and quicker than most big men in the history of the NBA. However, there wasn't a lot of development or refinement in his game. His shot and ball skills were always questionable. In Shaq's case, he will go down as one of the NBAs greats but still left so much on the table where he could have been a more complete player.

WTF. I love this board.

• Haha 1