Twilight In T-Town: The End of the Nick Saban Era

closetojumping

18 hours ago, closetojumping said:

They are too close to Saban. To say they are shell shocked right now would be indicating that they grasp where they are at the moment.  They are not in a spot where they can fathom what is happening. 

I got a text tonight talking about meeting Texas in the playoffs “if Texas can take care of business.” My response was simple. “Hey man, y’all are a 8-4 team. I am not trying to fuck with you. If you have a record better than that, then the SEC is worse than I thought. “

They never responded. After that USF game, it’s hard to blame them. 

Did they believe saban was going to leave bama for Texas?

8 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Our win at Bama scared the shit out of everyone in Tuscaloosa, including Saban.  Benching Milroe was a panicky move and felt forced. Seems like a sign that the head coach isn't in full control anymore. 

It was a panic move to be sure. Milroe gives them the best chance to win and the fact that he didn’t play at all against USF was just Saban being stubborn. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It was a panic move to be sure. Milroe gives them the best chance to win and the fact that he didn’t play at all against USF was just Saban being stubborn. 

There's no doubt in my mind Milroe is their best QB by far. I would even say they could have had Bryce Young under center and still would have lost to us.

9 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

really wonder if he was injured/hurt and Saban didn't/doesn't want that out there before SEC play

8 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The company line is he had a bad week of practice and they wanted to make a point. 

The only point that I saw being made was telling us that Buchner probably shouldn't be on an FBS roster. He looked like someone they pulled out of the stands and asked to start throwing passes. 

If Saban doesn't play Milroe and go with some serious power RPO work this weekend, I'm going to conclude that he's going senile. 

I've heard the talking heads already declare that Ole Miss should be expected to win this weekend. Ole Miss should have lost to Tulane and if Tulane had had Pratt, they would have. Bama plays defense. I expect Bama to win, if Milroe plays, and then everyone will declare things to be a-okay in Tuscaloosa. Should be fun.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting...

Lane Kiffin shares why they're preparing for a new-look Alabama defense

Kevin Steele is the Tide's defensive coordinator in title, but Lane Kiffin is preparing for a different defensive play caller this weekend.

DOUG SAMUELS    2 HOURS AGO

After losing to Texas and giving up 34 points at home in a rare early season loss for Nick Saban, it was no secret that there were going to be some changes at Alabama.

When the Tide took the field against USF on Saturday, those changes started at the quarterback position, as both Ty Simpson and Tyler Buchner struggled, combining to throw for just over 100 yards.

That's not where the changes seemed to have ended, as Lane Kiffin recently pointed out.

While veteran defensive coordinator Kevin Steele was brought back to Tuscaloosa this off season, after calling defenses at Clemson, LSU, Auburn, and Miami, the game against South Florida showed a new influence on the defensive side of the ball.

Kiffin told reporters Sunday during a Zoom interview yesterday that he believes there were some significant changes on the defensive side of the ball.

"I don’t know what happened after the Texas game, but you know, our guys watching the TV copy schematically in this last game, it certainly seems like T-Rob’s now calling the defense."

Secondary coach Travaris Robinson has been on staff since January of 2022, and the former South Carolina defensive coordinator from 2016-19 initially worked with just the corners before he took over the entire secondary this season.

"We played him before at South Carolina, so we’re preparing accordingly, you know, for him calling the defense. He’s done a good job too, and they’ve got really good players."

After previously working with Steele at Alabama, and then coaching against him when he moved on to LSU and Auburn, Kiffin has a hold on what a Kevin Steele defense looks like, and Saturday's game for the Tide showed a new influence with Robinson's DNA clearly discernable to the veteran offensive play caller.

The Rebels will travel to Bryant-Denny on Saturday to face off at 3:30pm EST on CBS.

The only point that I saw being made was telling us that Buchner probably shouldn't be on an FBS roster. He looked like someone they pulled out of the stands and asked to start throwing passes. 
If Saban doesn't play Milroe and go with some serious power RPO work this weekend, I'm going to conclude that he's going senile. 
I've heard the talking heads already declare that Ole Miss should be expected to win this weekend. Ole Miss should have lost to Tulane and if Tulane had had Pratt, they would have. Bama plays defense. I expect Bama to win, if Milroe plays, and then everyone will declare things to be a-okay in Tuscaloosa. Should be fun.

This. I can at least see the framework of a successful offense with Milroe despite his flaws. Coupled with a pretty good defense and that may still win 9-10 games and the SEC West this year given what the other schools are trotting out there. They are just putrid on offense with the other guys though. Woof.
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

It feels like he hoped one of the other two would shine in a game more than they did in practice and that the USF game was being treated as an audition… which they both failed in spectacular fashion. 

The drunkest guy at a bar could see that those other two guys are inferior talent. I really do wonder how the fuck Buckner ends up at Alabama. Oh wait no i don't, he's Tommy Rees' "guy", and Saban is now apparently letting unkown nobody OCs play their "guy" over the player that everyone in practice can see plain as day is the better option.

7 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The drunkest guy at a bar could see that those other two guys are inferior talent. I really do wonder how the fuck Buckner ends up at Alabama. Oh wait no i don't, he's Tommy Rees' "guy", and Saban is now apparently letting unkown nobody OCs play their "guy" over the player that everyone in practice can see plain as day is the better option.

Rees will be ejected after this season, Saban or no Saban.

57 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Gives Pate's comments about Milroe being suspended for the USF game more credence.

What Saban said after the game:

Reporter: Why did you choose to play Tyler Buchner and Ty Simpson but not play Jalen Milroe?

"Well, you know, I think that's an internal team thing. I think everybody has the opportunity to respond in the right way when things don't go exactly like you want them to. We played the guys that practiced the best all week long."

Reporter: How about Jalen Milroe supporting the guys?

"Yeah, he did a great job. He really has been supportive of his teammates. I was happy to see that. Hopefully we'll all learn lessons from the experiences that we have and move forward in a positive way."

• Haha 2

What Saban said after the game:

Reporter: Why did you choose to play Tyler Buchner and Ty Simpson but not play Jalen Milroe?

"Well, you know, I think that's an internal team thing. I think everybody has the opportunity to respond in the right way when things don't go exactly like you want them to. We played the guys that practiced the best all week long."

Reporter: How about Jalen Milroe supporting the guys?

"Yeah, he did a great job. He really has been supportive of his teammates. I was happy to see that. Hopefully we'll all learn lessons from the experiences that we have and move forward in a positive way."

Zero passive aggressive veiled threats, Saban really is done.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

That probably explains why the guy with six titles wasn’t all in on Milroe earlier before the season. 

Ari Wasserman wrote a piece in The Athletic “Alabama has a problem not even Nick Saban can solve.” He was the first guest on Finebaum’s show today. I don’t have a subscription for the Athletic (currently poor.) 

As a guest on the show, Wasserman was nonplused as to why Bama has all of these holes in their roster. Wasserman and the Athletic writers did not pick Bama to make the CFP this year. Certainly not the national championship. Said bringing in Buchner was a sign that they were not settled at QB at all going into the season. Said on paper they should be national championship contenders. The impression is the OC from ND doesn’t really like Milroe and obviously brought Buchner with him. There is a lot of dysfunction around the QB situation clearly. Easily a 3-4 loss season. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Ari Wasserman wrote a piece in The Athletic “Alabama has a problem not even Nick Saban can solve.” He was the first guest on Finebaum’s show today. I don’t have a subscription for the Athletic (currently poor.) 

As a guest on the show, Wasserman was nonplused as to why Bama has all of these holes in their roster. Wasserman and the Athletic writers did not pick Bama to make the CFP this year. Certainly not the national championship. Said bringing in Buchner was a sign that they were not settled at QB at all going into the season. Said on paper they should be national championship contenders. The impression is the OC from ND doesn’t really like Milroe and obviously brought Buchner with him. There is a lot of dysfunction around the QB situation clearly. Easily a 3-4 loss season. 

Ari has grown on me. It appears he got Texas right this season. His podcast has gotten much better since Andy Staples left. I guess Ari felt the need to play Costello to Andy’s Abbott. A lot less snarky attempts at humor and more talking about ball. 

I’m not a Staples fan. He’s stereotypical ex-jock know it all host. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Pate made some pretty damn inflammatory claims. 1) Milroe was suspended for USF. 2) The team is openly revolting over Saban’s decision to bench him. 3) I believe he also claimed Saban and Rees are at odds with the starting QB, and how the offense should be conducted. 

If it just one of those things is true, Bama is going to lose at least 3 games.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

For everyone saying Bama loses 3 or 4 games: to whom?  With their defense, the conference looking way down, the lack of good qbs on the schedule, and the mental edge they still hold over that conference, I have a hard time seeing anyone other than LSU beating them.  It should be fun to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, WBT said:

For everyone saying Bama loses 3 or 4 games: to whom?  With their defense, the conference looking way down, the lack of good qbs on the schedule, and the mental edge they still hold over that conference, I have a hard time seeing anyone other than LSU beating them.  It should be fun to watch.

They'll probably start losing SEC games this weekend.  I think they are a 4 loss team.  Us, Ole Miss, A&M, and LSU. 

On 9/16/2023 at 5:07 PM, Thatguy said:

Na, Saban playing 4D chess. Put your sorry ass second and 3rd QBs in so the Bama World can see how trash they are. That way when you trot Milroe back out they remind each other what's behind him when he makes a mistake.

What I posted last weekend.......

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rees and Steele are terrible and that shouldn’t be a surprise. However, unlike Mack Brown or Charlie Strong, Saban can personally go in and fix either the offense or defense. 

He fixed the defense against South Florida, while humoring Rees by letting him play the backup QB’s. Rees has no idea what to do with a running QB like Milroe, just like Yurcich had no idea what to do with Milroe at Texas, hence one of the reasons why he de-committed. 

8 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

They'll probably start losing SEC games this weekend.  I think they are a 4 loss team.  Us, Ole Miss, A&M, and LSU. 

Ole Miss was not impressive against Tulane. I don’t see them winning on the road. And lol at aggy. Did you see the Miami game? That defense won’t stop any top 50 offense 

I think you can basically pick two from Ole Miss, at aggy, LSU, and at Auburn. They’re not going to lose all four, but they’re not going to win all four either.
  • Hook 'Em 1