Week 4, 2023: Texas @ Baylor

Wulaw Horn

57 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Someone mentioned this a few days ago and it made sense when I heard it (even if I don’t agree with it). Apparently in college, spot of the ball can only be reviewed or challenged if it’s impacting a first down or change of possession. I guess they put that rule in place because if not teams would be challenging 1 yard differences on a 2nd and 8 vs 2nd and 7. Rulebook probably wasn’t created with the thought that a ref would miss a spot as badly as they did Saturday.

So that is why the ref said the play was not able to be challenged.

Like js1 mentioned, the side judge was knocked out on the sideline during the play. In rare cases like this, a review should be allowed to take place. The head ref should have the power to have it looked at but idk

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

It’s funny how Texas fans think refs are out to get UT when all the evidence has always pointed the opposite way if anything. Outside of 2015 ok state anyway.

Iowa State 2013 is the only really egregious thing in our favor that I can think of. I remember Manginno whining about something after our game in 04, but don't remember what about. 

1 minute ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

Iowa State 2013 is the only really egregious thing in our favor that I can think of. I remember Manginno whining about something after our game in 04, but don't remember what about. 

He was whining about the PI that upon review was actually PI.  He should have been pissed that his D let Vince go 4th and 16 on their ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

Dunlap's offensive breakdown and OL grades from Wyoming (long article)

Spoiler

Skill Player Snap Counts and Game-by-Game Percentages of Offensive Snaps (2023 Through Week 3)
image.thumb.png.244294410e0e9eda29c22a14b606e0d1.png

***please note that exact snap-count numbers may differ from other sources at times, as the Deep Dig does not count plays as offensive player snaps that are blown dead due to penalty, punts, extra points, field goals, spiked balls, victory formations, kneel-downs, etc.***

Personnel-Grouping Frequency Overall and by Game (2023 Through Week 3)
image.thumb.png.6401f1db57011d1aaed4ec617c32a6fe.png

Tight End Total Snap Counts and Alignment Data (2023 Through Week 3)
image.thumb.png.36686537415c00e0203d2a43bc0eb39c.png

Team Target Share By Week (2023 Through Week 3)
image.thumb.png.e7f04328516a8b13bcdb4a38b058cc76.png

Deep Dig OL Grading Scale (each snap by each player is graded as its own independent event)
image.thumb.png.7b5350ca52cbdc63ba665547a33e5b27.png
OL Grades (Wyoming)

LT Kelvin Banks - 52 snaps
No disruption allowed
1 knockdown
DEEP DIG GRADE: 79.21

LG Hayden Conner - 52 snaps
2 run-stuffs allowed
2 false-start penalties
2 knockdowns
DEEP DIG GRADE: 77.55

C Jake Majors - 52 snaps
No disruption allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: 78.75

RG DJ Campbell - 45 snaps
1 run-stuff, 1 sack allowed
1 pin
DEEP DIG GRADE: 75.2

RG Cole Hutson - 7 snaps
No disruption allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: N/A

RT Christian Jones - 52 snaps
1 false-start penalty
1 pin, 1 knockdown
DEEP DIG GRADE: 78.53

OL Grades by Week (2023 Through Week 3)
image.thumb.png.e9e653f690d9480ca05764daf3531abe.png

OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed (2023 Through Week 3)
image.thumb.png.5b9f47dbeda3131a12998d7f25dd53ff.png

OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed BY WEEK (2023 Through Week 3)
image.thumb.png.f4ad9df3af45c59867fd08904c87131f.png

2023 OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed Versus Historical Precedent (2023 Through Week 3)
image.thumb.png.ca220493da6c2c092a0be7e70938684b.png

QUICK FINAL THOUGHTS

Texas has been getting some help from unexpected places this season in reaching its current three-win streak, and perhaps the most surprising of contributions has come from Jake Majors.

Following a disastrous and truly, truly sobering performance from the interior OL versus Rice, none of fans' worst fears (their truly justified fears based on how badly the interior struggled in that game) have come close to coming to fruition thus far. Even against a great opponent like Alabama, the line held up and played at a high level. The same can be said about the Wyoming game, where aside from a few hiccups, the big boys up front played very well in sum.

But the fact that Jake Majors hasn't allowed one single act of disruption and/or committed one penalty through two straight games where he played 100% of snaps? Let's just say we didn't have that on the old BINGO card coming into the 2023 season. Not even remotely on the menu - especially after coming out of the Rice opener having allowed 2 run-stuffs and a QB hit. It was not a disaster of a performance for Majors comparatively ... after all, his interior linemates were both worse as far as allowing disruption: Conner (4 run-stuffs allowed) and DJ Campbell (1 QB hit, 1 sack, 1 pressure and 1 run-stuff allowed); but it was still bad. They were all bad.

Majors played the best game of his career at Texas versus Wyoming coming off a big bounceback performance against Alabama. As hard as it is to come out and say, he's actually moving bodies in the run game and looking stronger. His issues were rarely ever in pass protection dating back all the way to his start at Texas. Sure, he's had a bonehead play here or there just like anyone else, but it was far from the real crux of the issue. No, as you know well, he's struggled with penalties and just as greatly with generating movement off the line of scrimmage, especially in solo-base assignments within the inside-zone concept.

As we mentioned coming into the Alabama game, that was actually where we were least worried (pass-blocking, that is) -- especially with stunts coming off the left side of the OL. Majors and Conner are really good at passing those guys off and redirecting to new targets with proper leverage. Now that Majors is seeming to improve in the run game, he's soon going to force us to all reconsider the way we think about his fit on this current OL and our general perception of him as highly replaceable.

DJ Campbell fell back down to Earth, and that was probably to be expected as well. Sark said himself that Campbell is inconsistent, and it's frustrating because, at those moments, everyone in the stadium (Campbell included) knows he can be so much better. As Campbell irons out the wrinkles in his game, we suspect we'll see peaks and valleys -- a bit of a DJ Campbell roller coaster.

The ultimate hope would be that the highs get higher, and then, when he has his games that swing toward the valleys on his development curve, those low-points will rise as well.

And some might ask that since the line played very well overall (only one act of QB disruption allowed over 52 snaps) why did it feel like Quinn Ewers didn't play well?

That answer is simple: First, Quinn Ewers did not play a perfect game and he would be the first to tell you that. Second, he threw 21 passes. Are we expecting a Heisman performance during a 21-pass game script?

Finally, I know much has been made of the "drops" versus Wyoming. And there are going to be drops in any game. Passes won't connect. Guys won't be on the same page. It's a part of football, we get it. But, anyone who says Texas wasn't on the wrong side of variance in that game with drops and general missed connections isn't looking at it deeply enough.

There were three true drops in the game where the receivers might as well have looked at their hands and asked them what the hell they were doing just now. Head-shaking, rare drops of the totally obvious variety. No attempt to defend them, no outside stimulus to cause a change in the ball's flight or the players ability to frame and see in the football; no, just ... drops. Three of those. But there were eight balls total (counting those first three) that receivers could have caught. They could have adjusted better, won contested catches, etc. We're talking about balls here that receivers, at many times had both of their hands on that still resulted in an incompletion.

Those tough grabs, the contested ones -- they're called 50/50 balls for a reason. It's because it's a toss-up as to who is going to win the contested situation. On one play in the end zone, JT Sanders didn't even try to contest the catch, but it's not reasonable to think that Texas receivers shouldn't come down with at least half of those extra 5 balls on top of the three egregious drops. They are better athletes and much more skilled.

So, let's take Ewers' line that everyone is so worried about (11 for 21 for 131 yards and 2 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD and 0 interceptions) and raise it up to at least 14 completions with an extra 36 yards (based on 11.9 ypc average in the game thus far) and we can imply a 14 for 21 completion line with the chance of even another TD. Now, let's be conservative and only give Ewers the grace of 2 of the extra 5 opportunities going Texas' way with the 50/50 balls and near misses. We're looking then at a stat line of 16 for 21 (76.2%) for an implied 191 yards, probably 2.5 passing TDs with one rushing TD and still no picks. In a game that veered away greatly from any real pass volume, and where only 21 balls were thrown.

Is anyone remotely worried or are they dancing in the streets?

Onward to Baylor.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

He was whining about the PI that upon review was actually PI.  He should have been pissed that his D let Vince go 4th and 16 on their ass.

VY to their All-Conference LB who whiffed on him: “You gotta keep your feet.” (Paraphrased, I think.)

Definitely was PI. KU had a chance on 4th and 18 as well as the TD pass to Jeffery. 

14 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Just listened to the Sark presser for today and he said Baylor could easily be 3-0. Maybe Mack was on to something with "They scare me to death" when it came to keeping the coaching staff and team motivated.

Both of their losses were close, they easily could be 3-0. It's just that they were to Texas State and Utah's 2nd/3rd string QBs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Both of their losses were close, they easily could be 3-0. It's just that they were to Texas State and Utah's 2nd/3rd string QBs.

11 points to TSU is close? I'd say that was a pretty comfortable win.  BU never got it to single digits during the last 25 minutes -- the TSU lead was 11 to 18 points.

43 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Just listened to the Sark presser for today and he said Baylor could easily be 3-0. Maybe Mack was on to something with "They scare me to death" when it came to keeping the coaching staff and team motivated.

Saban has always done this. He’d go overboard about the big challenges his opponent was going to present that week, knowing he was going to roll them by 30

Last time we were in Waco, we were up 4 late in the 3rd quarter, and our punter (Dicker?) got absolutely drilled after he got the kick away.  Should have been 1st down Texas in Baylor's side of the field, with a chance to take a 2-score lead.  

And the worst part of it was watching the announcers replay it from every angle.  "See!  It was blocked!" (Replay shows it's not blocked.  Ball goes 40+ yards in the air) "Well, you can't see the block, but it's definitely there, so let's watch to see if ball changes trajectory." (ball does not). "Well, the best way to tell would be to listen.  Let's listen to see if there's a thump from a blocked kick." (sound of punter getting hit after the punt). "See!  It was blocked.  What a great play!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, Hard Times said:

I think Red has had more drama/baggage than Blue. He was in the doghouse to start the season and he got into a scuffle last season. Also, I don't think Blue has had enough carries to determine anything definite about his ability to product. The plays he's run are not necessarily conducive to his running style.

9 hours ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

image.gif.32fe81ee2a0e175edb408165b27fb82f.gif

See I was thinking more along these lines:

Red Vs Blue GIF by Rooster Teeth

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

It’s funny how Texas fans think refs are out to get UT when all the evidence has always pointed the opposite way if anything. Outside of 2015 ok state anyway.

Just remember that the only reason most of us haven't put you on ignore yet is as a truth indicator: "Whatever Helo says, the opposite is true."

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Clearly you haven’t paid attention during conference play since it was announced we are leaving. 

or, you know, Teaff's last game.

57 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Saban has always done this. He’d go overboard about the big challenges his opponent was going to present that week, knowing he was going to roll them by 30

Saban? Amateur. Nobody talked up the opponent and downplayed his own team like this man here:

bulldog football bulldogs GIF by Mississippi State Athletics

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Lou Holtz was indeed the best. No one could poormouth a trash opponent and make them sound like the '85 Bears better than that rat bastard.

My favorite Mack moment was when we were playing an awful Baylor and we were a top 5 team, and a reporter asked Mack what worried him about the team.

As sincerely as he could, Mack said “Well, the have the best punter in the country.” And then proceeded to spend a few minutes talking about field position. I knew then and there they were super fucked. I think we won by 40 or 50.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Deeply offended by his description of Michael Taffe “steadying presence that can impact the game with his football IQ”

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Lou Holtz was indeed the best. No one could poormouth a trash opponent and make them sound like the '85 Bears better than that rat bastard.

Remember when he gave Charlie the vote of confidence? That should have been the signal. 

1 minute ago, Snake Diggity said:

Deeply offended by his description of Michael Taffe “steadying presence that can impact the game with his football IQ”

Coach on the field 

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean do you expect him to come out and say “Baylor is ass my dude; we should stunt on these hoes”?
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Last time we were in Waco, we were up 4 late in the 3rd quarter, and our punter (Dicker?) got absolutely drilled after he got the kick away.  Should have been 1st down Texas in Baylor's side of the field, with a chance to take a 2-score lead.  

And the worst part of it was watching the announcers replay it from every angle.  "See!  It was blocked!" (Replay shows it's not blocked.  Ball goes 40+ yards in the air) "Well, you can't see the block, but it's definitely there, so let's watch to see if ball changes trajectory." (ball does not). "Well, the best way to tell would be to listen.  Let's listen to see if there's a thump from a blocked kick." (sound of punter getting hit after the punt). "See!  It was blocked.  What a great play!"

Helo- “🧢

9 hours ago, BERT said:

Because of one fumble that didn't hurt the team? Seems odd

I've thought he has ran the ball pretty well so far outside of that one fumble. Makes me wish he hadn't "taken" that year off. 

I'd much rather see Blue carry the ball on 4th and 1 than have Ewers under center for a qb sneak. That was terrible.

Here’s a small CSB for visiting Baylor as a child. My Dad coached a player, Ricky Hendrix, that was a LB back in the Walter Abercrombie era. After watching them beat aggy in the pouring down rain, Ricky and Walter both walked me to see the Bear Pen, where they kept the live bears.
They were buddies/roommates! All Ricky said was this guy with us is “special!”

I’ll never forget that and rooted for WA for the Eagles, even though I was a Cowboys fan.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

Here’s a small CSB for visiting Baylor as a child. My Dad coached a player, Ricky Hendrix, that was a LB back in the Walter Abercrombie era. After watching them beat aggy in the pouring down rain, Ricky and Walter both walked me to see the Bear Pen, where they kept the live bears.
They were buddies/roommates! All Ricky said was this guy with us is “special!”

I’ll never forget that and rooted for WA for the Eagles, even though I was a Cowboys fan.

Hook’em!!!

I think “helmet busting” Mike Singletary was on that team too!

Hook’em!!!

Prior to that game vs aggy, we were expecting a lot of rain. One of my Dad’s assistant coaches that went with us suggested going to the local Wal-Mart prior to the game to get a box of huge black lawn trash bags. It rained the whole game and as ridiculous that we looked, people by halftime wanted to know if we had extra bags.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/19/2023 at 3:17 PM, NoName said:

asked a friend whose family has season tix for BU to share a few tips if people are going to the game:

• They said to park downtown (free) and ride the (free) bus to the game.
  • No booze sold in the stadium
  • In stadium, there are Rudys that are permanent and a bunch of mobile food carts - Chic Fil A and a new Lemonade one that's good
  • Whole visitor side of the stadium is in the sun at 6p kickoff, she said she thinks all of the Home side will be in the shade at that point
  • There are good spots to stand on the 2nd level when you come up the main stairwell, will be in the shade and get some breeze if there is any. Directly behind the end zone
  • You can't sit in the berm behind the other end zone, no connection to the stadium and has it's own ticket + concession + entrance/exit
  • If you have kids there is a mother/baby room behind Section 114
  • Don't forget your clear bag if you are bringing stuff in, they are militant about it and will make you go back to your car or throw it away

bumping this from earlier in the week, in case folks are going to the game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1