THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UW was my favorite Pac school so for them to stomp on everyone and go 13-0 is a fitting end to that conference. Sure would have been nice to have had 4 teams at 13-0 with Georgia, Texas, Michigan, & Washington facing off.

In the meantime rooting for Alabama & Louisville tomorrow

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Even if Texas gets shut out, they still are ahead of Oregon with a win, which is nice. 

If Bama loses they will drop and make our best win a little less.  Winning the CCG will help though, but it is pretty murky to me.  Either way FSU has to lose, and if Michigan also lost I wouldn't be at all upset...

8 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Alabama and Louisville wins probably gets us in to the playoff. Georgia and Louisville wins definitely gets us in to the playoff. So maybe root for that. 

Plus an asskicking of OSU obviously. 

We need to win our game convincingly regardless. No last minute FG. No OT. We must crush. Destroy. Pulverize. And I sincerely am hoping for the Michigan Iowa game to bring some fun drama. Like low scoring weirdness. That would be great. Plus, Iowa now has a walk on kicker that just made his first field goal last week. Huge! Lol. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 11:33 AM, Codaxx said:

Texas fans need to root for Iowa, Oregon, and Bama. Chaos is a friend of Texas

Seems like a loss by Michigan or FSU, coupled with a Jawja win gets Texas in if the Longhorns beat okie lite.  

Oregon with 2 losses is out.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

So far, so good. If FSU loses, we should be in. For sure if Georgia takes care of business, we are. Bama wins, they're in, but is Georgia out? Possibly not. Watching, we can only be.

omg stop with this shit. Alabama is not getting in over us unless we go 4OT with OSU in a shit game and they run Georgia out of the building. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Seems like a loss by Michigan or FSU, coupled with a Jawja win gets Texas in if the Longhorns beat okie lite.  

Loss by Michigan or FSU is all we need. We aren't getting passed up for a 1 loss Georgia. Just not how the playoffs have worked. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

We need to win our game convincingly regardless. No last minute FG. No OT. We must crush. Destroy. Pulverize.

Eh. Sure that’s what I’m hoping for but if we win, Georgia wins, and FSU loses it doesn’t matter what any of those games looked like. We’re dancing. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, UncleSonny said:

Eh. Sure that’s what I’m hoping for but if we win, Georgia wins, and FSU loses it doesn’t matter what any of those games looked like. We’re dancing. 

Agreed. I would like for the Georgia v Bama game to be a close one that Georgia wins. Makes our win over Bama still look good. But we better take care of business because I might burn some Christmas decorations if we lose but everything else lines up for us to have gotten in if we’d have won. 

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Oregon was 100% getting in with a win tonight. There was no “discussion” going to be had. CFP committee was clearly enamored with them. Lanning is a fraud and a shithead and it was awesome seeing him lose again.

He shoulda got that aggy bag.

Too many people here are underestimating the possibility of Ohio State remaining ahead of UT in the rankings no matter what happens.  It’s certainly possible UT leapfrogs OSU with a win, but it is definitely not a certainty.  The 2023 version of The Big XII isn’t doing us any favors in terms of conference strength and while ranked, a win over Ok. State isn’t worth that much nationally (really needed that OU win).  Yes, Bama on the road is a feather in the cap, but it was early and college football has always had a decency bias.  Would’ve helped if UT had won more Big XII games more convincingly.  My gut is we needed (2), not (1) undefeated ahead of us in the rankings to get into the CFP.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Too many people here are underestimating the possibility of Ohio State remaining ahead of UT in the rankings no matter what happens.  It’s certainly possible UT leapfrogs OSU with a win, but it is definitely not a certainty.  The 2023 version of The Big XII isn’t doing us any favors in terms of conference strength and while ranked, a win over Ok. State isn’t worth that much nationally (really needed that OU win).  Yes, Bama on the road is a feather in the cap, but it was early and college football has always had a decency bias.  Would’ve helped if UT had won more Big XII games more convincingly.  My gut is we needed (2), not (1) undefeated ahead of us in the rankings to get into the CFP.

They’re not leaving a 1-loss non conference champ OSU ahead of a 1-loss conference champ Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

No shot Ohio State will get in over Texas.

Texas will have a conference championship, a  better win than Ohio State, and probably 1 more top 25 win than Ohio State. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

This is all predicated on texas winning but today is going to be so fucking exciting. It's going to be emotional. Not sure if it's going to be great since we need some help but having a day like today the last week of the season is awesome.  I couldn't ask for a better day of football.  I won't be moving from my couch until about 10pm tonight and the family is aware. Love that we play at 11 am too. Maximum excitement for the rest of the games...provided we win of course. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

The 2023 version of The Big XII is the second strongest conference per Sagarin (and maybe Massey? -- someone posted the Massey info many pages ago I think). 

34 minutes ago, Evenkeel said:

The 2023 version of The Big XII is the second strongest conference per Sagarin (and maybe Massey? -- someone posted the Massey info many pages ago I think). 

Maybe so, but from where I’m sitting Big Ten has (3) legit top 10 teams (Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State), SEC’s got (5) in the top 15, and the PAC 12 (4) in the top 20 with some pretty good teams just above .500 in what has been a deeper than expected conference.  The Big XII has (1) top 10 team (Texas), the #12 Sooners and #20 Ok. State.  Not sure how that qualifies Big XII as #2 conference.  Personally. I think it’s been a down year for the Big XII, an up year for the PAC 12, and as-expected years from the Big Ten & SEC.  Below is Sagarin’s conference rankings:

image.thumb.png.b6a0d647c51717e0ad1380ab826b2ec2.png

Edited by Steelers Roll Left

Unless I'm reading those incorrectly, both show the Big 12 as the second strongest conference, right? Tied with the Pac-12 in Massey and alone in second in Sagarin. I don't consider SEC divisions to be distinct conferences. 

Massey: SEC - 7.99

Big 12 & Pac 12 - 7.85

Sagarin: Combined SEC average at 80ish 

Big 12 at 78.2ish 

Edited by Evenkeel

Oregon was 100% getting in with a win tonight. There was no “discussion” going to be had. CFP committee was clearly enamored with them. Lanning is a fraud and a shithead and it was awesome seeing him lose again.
This right here is the most compelling argument I've seen that we wanted Oregon to win an ugly game. Anyone who has argued for Washington over Oregon needs to understand your are on the side with Helobious.

But thanks also to DaHobbs and Huckleberry for their efforts as well. Unfortunately, my opinion of the intelligence of many people on this site had gone way down.

Stating something is an absolute is not an absolute. 13-0 Washington 100% takes a playoff spot. Texas has no argument against that. There was a small chance and an argument to be made that Texas would get in over Oregon. Maybe 1% but that's a better chance than 0.

The best thing about Washington winning is I don't have to hear any of these idiots say they were right, even though the argument for Oregon still gave them a 99% chance of getting in over Texas.

I feel like I'm reading Texags with some of this dumb shit.

Root for Alabama and mostly Louisville.
  • Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

It’s simple. Undefeated teams get a spot. 2 loss Oregon is out, but undefeated Washington is in. That is a spot taken up. Washington is 100% in over Texas, there is no argument. Oregon was probably 90% in, but there was an argument. Washington won, that wasn’t good for Texas. Not a big hit either. Georgia winning is worse. There is 0 argument for Texas to get in over Georgia. There is actually a really good argument for Texas to get in over Bama. FSU losing is the best result and most likely. Michigan would be a great result, but highly unlikely. This is really simple. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t get how anyone could think Oregon win last night could help Texas get in.  It just would have validated the bogus eye test the selection committee was itching to use.

Pretty simple really. If Oregon, Alabama, and Texas all won, that could have opened a path for Texas despite FSU winning by creating a scenario where you have three teams for two spots. 12-1 SEC champion Alabama fresh off a win over UGA has the best overall body of work. Texas has H2H over Bama. The revaluing of Bama and Texas’s win over them could vault Texas over Oregon and make the latter hold the bag at the end of the day. Michigan, FSU, Texas, Bama. Oregon at 5.

Is that how it would have played out? Idk. But unlike jumping 13-0 Washington the chance is nonzero. Not rocket surgery. But also moot now.
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Pretty simple really. If Oregon, Alabama, and Texas all won, that could have opened a path for Texas despite FSU winning by creating a scenario where you have three teams for two spots. 12-1 SEC champion Alabama fresh off a win over UGA has the best overall body of work. Texas has H2H over Bama. The revaluing of Bama and Texas’s win over them could vault Texas over Oregon and make the latter hold the bag at the end of the day. Michigan, FSU, Texas, Bama. Oregon at 5.

Is that how it would have played out? Idk. But unlike jumping 13-0 Washington the chance is nonzero. Not rocket surgery. But also moot now.

I didn’t want to end up alongside 12-1 Bama and 12-1 Oregon battling for 2 spots. SEC “bias” + committee obsession with Oregon + both having beaten undefeated top 3 teams while we had to play 3 loss Ok State would have had us all in a state of worry. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I didn’t want to end up alongside 12-1 Bama and 12-1 Oregon battling for 2 spots. SEC “bias” + committee obsession with Oregon + both having beaten undefeated top 3 teams while we had to play 3 loss Ok State would have had us all in a state of worry. 

That is better than ending up next to 13-0 Washington and 13-0 Georgia 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Too many people here are underestimating the possibility of the Aggies jumping ahead of UT in the rankings no matter what happens.  It’s certainly possible UT stays ahead of A&M with a win, but it is definitely not a certainty. Think about it, sure they have five losses, but it's five losses in the toughest conference. And they just got a new coach who has them headed in the right direction. 

• Haha 5
  • Drool 1

That would be for a spot that was potentially open due to Washington losing. That is now gone because Washington took that spot. One spot we could have gotten is 100 % closed. But you keep talking losing a beauty contest. We at least had a chance in that beauty contest. Now, absolutely no chance.

There are other avenues, but that one is gone. I'm happy for you that you don't have to worry about that anymore though. That's the most important thing.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Ghost of Shag said:

So can we be in the SEC and still hate the SEC?

Cause fuck the SEC.

I’m only for Texas.

The “conference pride” nonsense should get reduced over time with expanded playoff. You don’t need the image of a strong conference as much when your team can now largely stand on its own merits to get a playoff spot.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Maybe so, but from where I’m sitting Big Ten has (3) legit top 10 teams (Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State), SEC’s got (5) in the top 15, and the PAC 12 (4) in the top 20 with some pretty good teams just above .500 in what has been a deeper than expected conference.  The Big XII has (1) top 10 team (Texas), the #12 Sooners and #20 Ok. State.  Not sure how that qualifies Big XII as #2 conference.  Personally. I think it’s been a down year for the Big XII, an up year for the PAC 12, and as-expected years from the Big Ten & SEC.  Below is Sagarin’s conference rankings.

As the other poster pointed out, those both show the Big 12 as second (or virtually tied for it). The reason you're not understanding is because like most talking heads you aren't considering that the bottom half of a conference is also in the conference. You can't focus only on the top 40% of it. 

For example, one of the shitty teams in the Big 12 took Oregon to the wire. Texas did not get as many virtual byes by playing complete dogshit teams as other top contenders did despite what many around here think of the conference. The Big 12, as it has almost always done, had a much deeper pool of decent teams. It has been the second best conference in the country overall during the time it has existed and has several seasons being the best conference. Completely inept administrative leadership has fooled even its own schools' fans into thinking it is also competitively weak. It isn't and hasn't ever been that. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

that is his job, so understandable. Yormark should be on ESPN pumping Texas

💯

I may disagree with Stanley, but damn if it won’t be nice to be in a conference where the commissioner advocates for the whole conference instead in a conference with some dipshit like Yormark openly playing favorites even when it hurts the conference.

The ultimate irony is Sankey was arguing that Alabama shouldn’t be punished for playing tough non-conference opponents when that opponent is us, the team that could get in over them.

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]