THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Being #3 isn’t so bad. We’d likely be in New Orleans in what would essentially be a home game. If Washington is #2, they’ll be pissed.

Also as evidenced yesterday we seem to get that much faster indoors and not that the Rose Bowl is exactly renowned for ANY kind of adverse weather conditions you don't have to even worry about wind when it comes to the passing game.  I realize that helps the opponent as well.  

9 minutes ago, bangkok said:

we are in, have no doubt.

it’s bama or fsu for the last spot, and the committee and espn has sent a message all week that they’re unimpressed with fsu despite an undefeated season. i think bama gets in at 4.

Yeah I've had 0 doubt since Alabama took out Georgia. I just want to know if we're playing Michigan or Washington.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

I know everyone wants Michigan instead of Washington, but not me.  Michigan's defensive front is scary good and will create havoc.  Washington is good and well-coached, but I think vulnerable.  They barely beat an over-rated Oregon team and the Pac10 looked great early in the year but as the season progressed seems over-rated. Texas can beat Washington.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I know everyone wants Michigan instead of Washington, but not me.  Michigan's defensive front is scary good and will create havoc.  Washington is good and well-coached, but I think vulnerable.  They barely beat an over-rated Oregon team and the Pac10 looked great early in the year but as the season progressed seems over-rated. Texas can beat Washington.

We can beat both. Michigan can’t score on us.

• Hook 'Em 1

All this Mandel bashing is appreciated, but his initial point that the committee can sidestep the H2H argument by ranking Bama 2-3 spots ahead of us is definitely plausible. Our main hope is they decide a QB-less FSU would be overwhelmed in a semifinal.

Why would they presume that the 2nd string guy was won’t be available for the CFP?

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I think we match up better from a play style standpoint with Michigan, but I agree that we’ve probably swung a little too far acting like Washington is some buzz saw that we cant hang with. Being constantly banged up and the secondary and no Williams for a half is the main concern. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Texas can beat any of those teams.

If the SEC gets left out as they should UT has the most talented roster in the playoffs.  And I’m pretty sure no team without a top 5 composite recruiting class has ever won it all in the playoff era.  So yeah.  My ass is puckered.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, vandergriff said:

Time machine back to a different, simpler era of CFB:

ROSE:  Michigan v Washington

COTTON: Texas v Oregon

ORANGE: Florida St v Georgia

SUGAR: Alabama v Ohio State 

FIESTA: Penn St v Missouri

Now that's how we used to  do New Years Day.  Would be some great games.

Beggin for a neggin

• Haha 2
  • Prepare your anus 1

Colley Matrix - https://www.colleyrankings.com/currank.html

1.     Washington        1.014040    13-0
2.     Michigan        0.989841    13-0
3.     Texas        0.955721    12-1
4.     Alabama        0.954965    12-1
5.     Florida St        0.949564    13-0
6.     Ohio St        0.915625    11-1

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, vandergriff said:

Time machine back to a different, simpler era of CFB:

ROSE:  Michigan v Washington

COTTON: Texas v Oregon

ORANGE: Florida St v Georgia

SUGAR: Alabama v Ohio State 

FIESTA: Penn St v Missouri

Now that's how we used to  do New Years Day.  Would be some great games.

We would be in the Fiesta under the old system not the cotton. Oregon would be in the Holiday. Ou would be in the Cotton vs Georgia or SEC#3

15 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Yep.   No one could have watched that game last night and think Louisvile is anything other than a C-USA joke.

I said before the game that Louisville owed us one.  well they didn't win but they played so shitty that no one can believe FSU could only beat them by 10 points, which makes FSU look awful.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

If the SEC gets left out as they should UT has the most talented roster in the playoffs.  And I’m pretty sure no team without a top 5 composite recruiting class has ever won it all in the playoff era.  So yeah.  My ass is puckered.  

I was just checking this out this morning. None of UW, FSU, and UM signed a top 5 class from 2019-2023. Surprising. UM had a couple barely top 10 classes.

Gotta say I'm pretty impressed with Washington particularly. 29, 59, 26, 18, 15 in overall rankings (composite+transfer for 2021-2023) in that period. Looks like they hit on a lot of their evaluations.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

ESPN 2023 College Football Power Rankings after Week 14

No. 1 Michigan Wolverines (13-0)

Michigan won its third Big Ten championship in a row in Jim Harbaugh's return to the sideline after a three-game suspension. The Wolverines' offense wasn't as sharp as it was against Ohio State, putting up a touchdown and a field goal in the first half, and was held to under 100 yards rushing as a team. It was enough to get the job done, though, aided by four James Turner field goals, and propel Michigan into another College Football Playoff berth. The Wolverines' defense was the star of the game, creating three turnovers through fumbles and limiting Iowa offensively to 155 total yards. It was a game of defense, and Michigan was able to get more done offensively to put Iowa away for the win and the conference championship. -- Tom VanHaaren

No. 2 Washington Huskies (13-0)

In the back half of the season, it didn't always look pretty -- or particularly dominant -- for the Huskies, but Kalen DeBoer's team simply just kept winning. An undefeated regular season doesn't come without its speed bumps, and while many thought having to beat the Ducks a second time after losing to them by three points in the regular season would be too tall a task, the Huskies did it again. After surrendering a 20-3 lead, they battled back and did just enough to edge out the Ducks in dramatic fashion -- once again by only three points. Each one of the three games these two teams have played over the past two seasons has been decided by three points, and Washington has won all of them. Saturday night, the Huskies found a way to win their biggest one yet, punching a ticket to the College Football Playoff in DeBoer's second season. His turnaround of a team that was 4-8 in 2021 has been remarkable, and it's not over yet. -- Paolo Uggetti

No. 3 Texas Longhorns (12-1)

The Longhorns made an emphatic statement for a second straight week, beating Oklahoma State 49-21 to claim their first Big 12 championship since 2009 -- and their last as they head to the SEC. The Longhorns' 662 total yards set a Big 12 title game record as Quinn Ewers was 35-of-46 for 452 yards, another record for this game, and his four passing touchdowns tied the record. The defense did its part, holding Oklahoma State running back Ollie Gordon II to 13 carries for 34 yards and allowing 281 total yards. After beating Texas Tech 57-7 last week followed by a dominant performance over OSU, Steve Sarkisian said Texas played its most complete two games of the season in its past two. Now, it just waits to see what the College Football Playoff committee does. -- Dave Wilson

No. 4 Florida State Seminoles (13-0)

Whether or not the Seminoles make the College Football Playoff is irrelevant to the discussion of what this team has already accomplished. With Saturday's 16-6 win over Louisville in the ACC title game, FSU has gone from an abject disaster when Mike Norvell arrived in 2020 to 13-0 conference champs and a team that has, again and again, overcome adversity to impose its will. On Saturday, that meant letting the defense eat, led by Braden Fiske's nine tackles, three sacks, 4.5 TFL and two QB hurries. The Noles had nothing from their QB -- freshman Brock Glenn, making his first start -- but lined up in the Wildcat and handed off to Lawrance Toafili and Trey Benson enough to find the end zone twice. If the mark of a great team is finding a way to win, as Norvell insisted after Saturday's game, then Florida State's legacy is secure, regardless of what comes next. -- David Hale

No. 5 Alabama Crimson Tide (12-1)

The ninth SEC championship under Nick Saban was sweet for Alabama after taking down Georgia 27-24 on Saturday, but even sweeter news for the Tide would be making the College Football Playoff. Alabama won the line of scrimmage battle against the Bulldogs and snapped their 29-game winning streak. Quarterback Jalen Milroe continued his sterling play with two touchdown passes and no turnovers. He had several clutch passes and a key 30-yard run in the fourth quarter. Alabama has won 11 straight games since its Week 2 loss to Texas. -- Chris Low

No. 6 Georgia Bulldogs (12-1)

After 29 straight wins, one of the longest winning streaks in college football over the past 50 years, Georgia stubbed its toe at the worst possible time. The Bulldogs lost 27-24 to red-hot Alabama on Saturday in the SEC championship game and now find themselves on the outside looking in as far as the College Football Playoff. The Bulldogs (12-1) fell behind 10 points in the second half and could never catch back up. Their defense had a hard time keeping Alabama quarterback Jalen Milroe in check in the fourth quarter. -- Low

No. 7 Ohio State Buckeyes (11-1)

The Buckeyes were hoping for chaos during Championship Week, sitting at No. 6 in the College Football Playoff rankings. Oregon, the No. 5 team, lost, but Texas beat Oklahoma State and Alabama beat Georgia. Because of those wins, Ohio State likely will be on the outside looking in when it comes to the playoff picture. The team finished the season at 11-1 with the lone loss coming to the Wolverines in the final game of the regular season. -- VanHaaren

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]