Game Week 10: Texas at TCU

Wulaw Horn

At this point, Maalik just play well enough to win. Don't force throws and learn to throw the ball away. Give the ball to Brooks, Baxter, Blue or Red and get the hell out of the way. O line will do the rest. If you do struggle, defense and special teams will bail you out, but shouldn't always have to. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BarthHollamew said:

Texas has yet to go nuclear on any opponent this year.  I’m talking scorched earth.  Will it happen in any of the next three games?  I feel like the potential is there, but it’s like we just can’t sustain great execution for very long.  

We had Baylor on the floor early and the announcers talking about how much the Bears looked like they'd quit in the first half.

We’ve scored between 30-40 points every game this year, but yes I would love for us to put up 50+ against someone. I mean even in the shitty 5-7 year 1 of Sark we did this 

5 touchdowns combined were scored by players still on our roster (Worthy, Whittington, and Keilan Robinson)

IMG_5955.jpeg

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, BarthHollamew said:

Texas has yet to go nuclear on any opponent this year.  I’m talking scorched earth.  Will it happen in any of the next three games?  I feel like the potential is there, but it’s like we just can’t sustain great execution for very long.  

rememeber-the-titans-leave-no-doubt.gif

4 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I don’t know why anyone would interpret Orangebloods saying there’s a 75% chance Ewers plays to mean anything other than there is a 0% chance Ewers plays

Innumeracy in action. What the source heard was "If we played 75 times, he might get into one game."

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

We had Baylor on the floor early and the announcers talking about how much the Bears looked like they'd quit in the first half.

That game was over early. 28-6 at halftime. That game was never in doubt.

I would say the same of the BYU game. Once we got up 14-0 it was obvious BYU wasn't scoring 2 TD's.

Hopefully Quinn is healthy enough to take a hit without it being an issue. The more I look into this game, the more I think we can win it with MM at qb, barring a complete meltdown by him on the road.

I'm sure plenty of the guys, including Quinn, want revenge for how this game went down last year. On top of that, this is another chance for plenty of the major players on the team to show out in the same area where they went to high school.

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ewers would really have to ramp up his practice activity today for me to believe he’s playing based on what I just heard. Sounds like Murphy and Arch have still been taking the majority of the team reps Monday-Wednesday.

So you're going to drop this shit and not tell us what you just heard? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ewers would really have to ramp up his practice activity today for me to believe he’s playing based on what I just heard. Sounds like Murphy and Arch have still been taking the majority of the team reps Monday-Wednesday.

4 minutes ago, Noozak said:

So you're going to drop this shit and not tell us what you just heard? 

giphy.webp

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The more I look into this game, the more I think we can win it with MM at qb, barring a complete meltdown by him on the road.

I

No, if QE is healthy enough to play, and wants to play, he should play. We essentially are in the playoffs, can't take anything for granted including presuming we will win with MM throwing the ball to the other team.

I don’t know why anyone would interpret Orangebloods saying there’s a 75% chance Ewers plays to mean anything other than there is a 0% chance Ewers plays

Quinn obviously has an Orangebloods NIL deal and was contractually obligated to play in order to boost their brand. You’re all welcome.

Dunlap on OB grading the OL from last week (long post, tldr version: he was very impressed with Cam Williams)

Spoiler

Skill Player Snap Counts and Game-by-Game Percentages of Offensive Snaps (2023 Through Week 9)
image.thumb.png.5f06ef51bf71cc61456bd32b27cce80a.png

***please note that exact snap-count numbers may differ from other sources at times, as the Deep Dig does not count plays as offensive player snaps that are blown dead due to penalty, punts, extra points, field goals, spiked balls, victory formations, kneel-downs, etc.***

Personnel-Grouping Frequency Overall and by Game (2023 Through Week 9)
image.thumb.png.b432adb1c23fa27cdff690926f7c059b.png

Tight End Total Snap Counts and Alignment Data (2023 Through Week 9)
image.thumb.png.218a4529b7a7ff4818413c261db889a8.png

Team Target Share By Week (2023 Through Week 9)
image.thumb.png.9d4a7f67dd99073528defe6546ac0199.png

Deep Dig OL Grading Scale (each snap by each player is graded as its own independent event)
image.thumb.png.3c1b163ec6dc762b4bca71b99f5a342c.png

OL Grades (KSU)

LT Kelvin Banks - 72 snaps
No disruption allowed
1 knockdown
DEEP DIG GRADE: 80.72

LG Hayden Conner - 74 snaps (2 at LT)
1 run-stuff allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: 77.3

C Jake Majors - 74 snaps
2 run-stuffs allowed
1 snap-infraction penalty
DEEP DIG GRADE: 75.95

RG DJ Campbell - 74 snaps
2 QB hits allowed
1 holding penalty
1 knockdown
DEEP DIG GRADE: 77.53

RG Cole Hutson - 2 snaps
No disruption allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: N/A

RT Cam Williams - 74 snaps
1 run-stuff allowed
3 false-start penalties
5 (five!) knockdowns
DEEP DIG GRADE: 77.84

OL Grades by Week (2023 Through Week 9)
image.thumb.png.c5239ad6836c7829aa6eee31151509ab.png

OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed (2023 Through Week 9)
image.thumb.png.131bf9c9ad78356a5aad9e148418d25a.png

OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed BY WEEK - Through Season (2023 Through Week 9)
image.thumb.png.ae47f9d1d1e22da58936545f254d284c.png

2023 OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed Versus Historical Precedent (2023 Through Week 9)
image.thumb.png.cf8e03829ef4fb574077b9f9c5127437.png

QUICK FINAL THOUGHTS

A complete, all-around great game for the Texas offensive line not only aided the Horns greatly in securing a victory versus the a sneaky-good and troublesome opponent in the K-State Wildcats, it also gave us a glimpse toward the future.

(And for the record, let it show that we at the Deep Dig have been happy as two-petered puppies to leave schools like Baylor and Texas Tech in the dustbin of Longhorn history with the Longhorns' move forthcoming move to the SEC, but you can add K-State to that list, as well. A constant pain in the neck, the Wildcats now have an alpha ball coach in Klieman who brings a tough mindset to his team that can lead to bad outcomes if you don't play your cards just right. We say good riddance. While Baylor is a school you want to divorce out of pure embarrassment of association, K-State, those stupid purple uniforms and Klieman is one you'd just prefer not to think about anymore).

Kelvin Banks played his best game of the season, and that won't come as a surprise to anyone watching the FOX broadcast as Joel Klatt drooled over him constantly as he highlighted some of his more special plays. It was nice to see him get back to playing a game just a notch above the excellent 2023 baseline he's set for himself so far, but we'd be lying if we didn't say the piece of the OL that excited us most this week was getting to see sophomore Cam Williams get his first start for the banged-up Christian Jones. Williams played like an instant-impact, All-conference-type of player right out of the box. Yes, he did commit three false-start penalties as he obviously was shaking off the butterflies, but how cool is it that he played so well outside of those mistakes that he actually scored so well in the Deep Dig?

Put it this way: if not for the false-start penalties (and those are not the type of penalties that can tend to "stick with" a player like being extremely prone to holding due to bad technique/balance issues or whatever was going on with Jake Majors last year -- and once against Kansas State! -- with the snap infractions). Those false starts were jitters. Regardless, without them on the books, he would have scored at 79.95, just south of the elusive 80-mark, against a defense that featured a lot of three-man fronts leading to more evaluation reps than usual for the two tackles. It would have been a monster first score ever in the Deep Dig that came even a little harder-earned than usual. We urge you not to let your memories of so many false-starts be what sticks with you out of this game for Cam Williams as that will leave you unprepared for what is to come on the right side of the offensive line moving into the future.

Will it be hard to replace .... say .... (and only potentially, but let's just say) .... Jonathon Brooks, Quinn Ewers, JT Sanders, Adonai Mitchell, Whittington, Christian Jones, Sweat, Byron Murphy, Jaylan Ford, Ryan Watts and others in 2023? Of course. Knowing that Texas will have DJ Campbell lined up next to Cam Williams for the next two seasons helps to ease the burn of those losses, though.

Did you know that Cam Williams had five knockdowns in this game? Five times where he took another grown college athlete and just threw him down on the ground? Not like a situation where he was engaged in a block and the defender disengaged, tried to make a tackle and ended up on the ground. No, instances where Cam Williams decided somebody needed to be thrown to the ground like a piece of trash or a little doll against his will and Williams just went ahead and did it. Five times.

We have been doing the Deep Dig since 2013. We have had the same template for charting since 2015 that is (relatively) easy to search for these kinds of things. Going back over the years, has anyone ever done this? Let's just look at the time that Sark and Flood have been in town:

Christian Jones - 3 knockdowns vs. UH
Christian Jones - 3 knockdowns vs. Kansas
Kelvin Banks - 3 knockdowns, 1 pin vs. Rice
Christian Jones - 1 knockdowns, 1 pin vs. Rice

Kelvin Banks - 3 knockdowns vs. ISU
Christian Jones - 3 knockdowns, 1 pin vs. OU
Christian Jones - 3 knockdowns vs. UTSA
Christian Jones - 1 knockdown, 2 pins vs. ULM

Junior Angilau - 4 knockdowns, 1 pin vs. ISU
Derek Kerstetter - 4 knockdowns vs. OSU
Adrej Karic - 2 knockdowns, 1 pin vs. TCU
Christian Jones - 2 knockdowns, 1 pin vs. Tech
Junior Angilau - 2 knockdowns, 2 pins vs. Tech
Derek Kerstetter - 3 knockdowns vs. Tech
Jake Majors - 3 knockdowns vs. Arkansas (also allowed 3 pressures, 2 TFLs, 1 sack and 1 run-stuff)

Instead of remembering the false-starts, you can instead choose to remember that we just saw one of only two instances (including Angilau 2021) where a Texas offensive lineman put his opponents straight into the dirt five or more times in one game.

Onward to TCU.

• Hook 'Em 8