What was/is your brand of cigarettes?

Royalfan5

Marlboro Lights in a box as a kid; Camel Crush as an adult.

Like you, I haven't smoked in decades, so I was surprised to learn that they are no longer called Marlboro Lights because apparently you can't imply that it is a lighter or healthier alternative to the Red Cowboy Killers, and they are denoted by color now (Marlboro Gold, Marlboro Silver, etc.). Maybe a current smoker can verify, but thought that was interesting.

The only time I ever smoked was when I was drinking and around other drinkers who were also smoking, so I smoked whatever I could mooch off people at the bar.

Never smoked enough to actually buy a pack for myself.

Although I do sometimes smoke when I'm driving late at night. Just to stay awake and give myself something to do, so in those rare cases usually Indian Spirits.

Last smoke I had was January 6, 2021.  About 20 years after I started in earnest.  I can't imagine having one now.  I was mostly Camel Lights or Turkish Royals, but switched to American Spirits the last couple of years.  Blech, just awful now that I think about it.

I also dipped Copenhagen Longcut from 17 to about 25.  I actually would have preferred to dip over smoking, but the girlfriend/wife made me quit that right when we started dating.  

• Like 1

I had a roommate that was a PIB that hung out at Les Amis all the time. I picked up smoking Djarum specials from her. They were unfiltered clove cigarettes back then, I think. I only did it every once in a while but it was tasty and I thought, very cool. 

Edited by burntorangebongos
Clove cigarettes, dammit!!!!

I was in Phoenix recently and the number of cigarette smokers there was shocking compared to other cities. I guess it's more popular (and also likely harder to quit) when you can smoke outside year round. 

I have a now 15 year old pack of Marlboros from my very last carton in my freezer, saved just for emergencies.

I like to think that I'll pick the habit back up when I turn 80 or so. 

Never smoked but like almost everyone in the 60s and 70s the parents did. Dad smoked Old Gold and the birthing device preferred Benson & Hedges.

Old Gold had little green coupons in them that were a predecessor to Camel bucks. My dad had shoe boxes full of those little green cards. When he quit smoking (Feb 26, 1981) he gathered up the boxes & had me sort & count them all. I forget how many thousands he had, but he redeemed them for one of the early Toro electric weed eaters.

Dumb question amnesty as I've never smoked: Different brands have different flavors?

How does that work? Is it where/how the tobacco is grown or is there some sort of flavor additive that varies from brand to brand?

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

It did make a huge difference. I could smoke a pack of lights a day and wake up feeling just “fine”. If I smoked a pack of reds?? I’d wake up feeling like my lungs had turned into oysters that needs to be coughed up.

The funny thing is, the only difference (allegedly - I'm not Philip Morris...) is that the Lights have two very faint rings of perforations around the center of the filter. 

I never smoked, but I was the kid they sent to the store to buy smokes. I still know everyone's brand 40 years later:

Mom: Marlboro Red (hard pack only)

Dad: Pall Mall no filter

Grandma: True

Aunt Phyllis: Benson and Hedges

Uncle Tom and Aunt Gail: Winston

Uncle Ronald and Aunt Liz: Vantage

My sisters: Parliament

Uncle Robert: Camel no filter

Aunt Phil: Tareyton

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

image.jpeg.cafb22a43026fd2d6a7c7d17ba7f305e.jpeg

Username checks out.

I used to smoke when I was out, the beer was flowing, and people around me were smoking.  Only pack I bought in my life was a pack of Marlboro Reds, which I proceeded to share with everyone around me at Liberty Lunch that night. 

My last cigarette was at this party in law school.  The guy hosting it was #1 in our class, law as a second career.  He had uniformed bartenders and bowls full of Dunhill cigarettes for whoever wanted them.  I don't remember much about that night, but I smoked more than my share of Dunhills.  I woke up the next morning feeling liked someone had kicked me in the side of the head and shit in my mouth.  I told myself that was the last cigarette, and more than 24 years later, I haven't had a compulsion to smoke another one . . . until reading this thread. ;) 

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

Most of my smoking life - or at least the last 20 years' worth - Sherman's. I started with Pall Mall, mostly. Always thought filters were a bad idea. Last time I smoked a cigarette was around 1995. Had to quit so my mom would quit. Never had a problem with it.

Bought my first carton at the Gander AFB PX. I think it was like $1.20. I was 12. It was legal. Gander was actually RCAF, but USAF had a heavy presence. Cross-Atlantic MATS flights topped up fuel at Gander, made it to refuel in Ireland and then on to whatever European destination. DC-6, four prop engines.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I'm trying to quit the snuff though and I've cut down to half of what I was doing a month ago.  It's just too expensive now.

I got a box of nicotine gum and a bag of tootsie pops. I told myself when I go through both of these, I'll be done with copenhagen. Haven't had a dip in 22 years

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I was a very occasional social smoker during / after college. I guess most of the people I was around smoke Marlboro lights, so that was what I had.

During high school, I liked walking behind this girl who smoked Marlboro reds. I’m not sure if it was the smoke, or because she had an amazing ass. Either way, it was stimulating. 

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

Dipped in high school, started smoking in college.  Marlboro smooth's.  Quit smoking when I started working out at age 30.  Haven't had a smoke in...5 years now?  I'm trying to quit the snuff though and I've cut down to half of what I was doing a month ago.  It's just too expensive now.

You're 35?  Man, I had you pegged for like 60+.  Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

I smoked Kool's one year between Thanksgiving and Christmas but I put them out on the wrong guy's floor and he did karate-man shit to me.  So I had to quit. 

My mother and father both smoked for damn year 50 years before he died and she quit.  Dad-Player's Navy Cut & Lucky Strike.  Mom-Winston & Marlboro Lights.  

I think I probably smoked the equivalent of maybe a half-carton over many years.  Dipped and chewed a little bit, along with a handful of cigars and pipe tobacco bags.  I just never really liked tobacco overall.  To this day, I still don't "get it."  I've been offered really high-end cigars and just politely declined like, "It would be completely wasted on me, I have no idea the difference."  I smoked a half of a cigar on election night 2020 and haven't touched tobacco since.  It's weird how you don't really remember the smell of it then you go to a place where smoking inside is still allowed, or even still-my mom's place in Chicago, and it all just comes rumbling back like a ton of bricks.  

People vaping never bothered me until awhile back, I was waiting for a shuttle bus.  And the guy behind me was puffing away, and hard.  Like he was trying to make the device ejaculate or something.  And it was one of those ridiculously over-scented cotton candy ones.  And of course, I just stank like it the rest of the night and even my wife was like, "Did you blow a circus clown or something."  Which admittedly, was a legit question based on past behavior.  

But these threads make me laugh when Austin passed that no smoking inside deal back in the early/mid-2000s.  I don't remember if it was LFZ or hornfans but everybody and their mom was convinced it was the end of our bar scene forever.  By banning smoking while people drink, it would be the death of our city as an entertainment hub.  And now?  I can't remember the last time I even saw somebody smoking outside a restaurant.  And I can't remember a week that goes by where some new bar isn't opening up somewhere near me.  If you still smoke, cool...more power to you.  I'm a smoker's baby...mom and dad literally put out a cigarette 5 minutes before I crowned.  And thanks for not whining about your freedoms.  It really was kinda annoying in hindsight.  You can't dry-clean lungs.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1