What's Wrong with FedEx?

kevwun

Every package is 2-3 days late in arriving.  They flat out lie about tracking info.  I've had a couple of packages recently where they were out for delivery for 3 consecutive days before actually showing up.  What's the deal?  Do they just suck? Some kind of logistics issue?

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Every package is 2-3 days late in arriving.  They flat out lie about tracking info.  I've had a couple of packages recently where they were out for delivery for 3 consecutive days before actually showing up.  What's the deal?  Do they just suck? Some kind of logistics issue?

The amphetamine salt supply shortage is affecting damn near everything.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

We sent out a package to my dad. Took 10 days for bread to be delivered to North Dallas from Central Texas. Tracking never worked. And those were not cheap loaves of bread once we paid for it. Fuck em. 

And yeah their shit with the pilots is interesting. Well we made a ton of cash during covid, but the world has slowed down so go work somewhere else. If I was a 777 pilot I would be calling Emirates before running a regional aircraft. 

10 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

We sent out a package to my dad. Took 10 days for bread to be delivered to North Dallas from Central Texas. Tracking never worked. And those were not cheap loaves of bread once we paid for it. Fuck em. 

And yeah their shit with the pilots is interesting. Well we made a ton of cash during covid, but the world has slowed down so go work somewhere else. If I was a 777 pilot I would be calling Emirates before running a regional aircraft. 

Pro tip: if yiu are sending something FedEx in-state, use FedEx Ground. It gets there the next day and is much cheaper. It gets put on a truck and goes straight to the destination city without getting routed through Memphis. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I had some D9 cbd seltzers delivered FedEx from Houston to Waco.   The shipping route ended up going like this…

Hou> Lubbock
Lubbock>Amarillo
Amarillo>Dallas
Dallas>Coppell
Coppell>Ft Worth
FtWorth > Waco

took 7 fucking days. Lol

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

UPS/Fedex got fat during covid and had to overhire and now revenue has returned to precovid levels and they are scrambling to cut costs. UPS payroll broke decades of mafia control and installed a corporate friendly Boston fake tough to push through an extremely shareholder friendly labor contract.

Fedex had to come up with something. They are in the process of consolidating Air/Ground operations to try save money. What used to be someone's assignment is someone else's assignment now, and the guy whonwas supposed to communicate that got laid off. Service suffers but consumers generally don't care who delivers their shit. If it shows up great if not get ready for a headache.

Edited by cmontexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I had some D9 cbd seltzers delivered FedEx from Houston to Waco.   The shipping route ended up going like this…

Hou> Lubbock
Lubbock>Amarillo
Amarillo>Dallas
Dallas>Coppell
Coppell>Ft Worth
FtWorth > Waco

took 7 fucking days. Lol

Yeah. Well. Nobody wants to go to Waco. 

• Haha 7

FedEx is multiple networks under one umbrella. So it looks like a cohesive company but it’s just a bunch of different divisions doing entirely different shit. 

Remember in the early 2000s when you would see something online and tried to buy it to pick up in store but couldn’t? The online inventory wasn’t synced up to the store’s inventory system so you couldn’t just buy shit online and pick it up in store. 

This is what FedEx is right now. They’re not cohesive in what they do and it’s why their shipping sucks ass. 

This is exactly how Yahoo royally fucked up and created a space for Google to take over. Yahoo kept stacking upon itself to deal with massive growth without investing in a cohesive network.

UPS is like Google, it’s all one cohesive thing built upon a dynamic network that works together with all facets of the company.

• Hook 'Em 3

Stuff I ordered got shipped through these assholes, I paid extra for 2nd day air, and it took almost 2 weeks. Expected arrival date changed 10 days total from start to when it actually delivered. And of course I saw no refund of the extra I paid for expedited shipping. 

Just as George Carlin said 20 years ago the systems are breaking down. Every corporation as well as business schools in America started stressing all manner of revenue maxing and cost cutting at the expense of employee satisfaction/retention and it's created a society where everyone is out for themselves because they're tired of being screwed over by their employers. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

The worst part is that companies we order perishable things from all seem to use FedEx.  I ordered a nice prime rib for Christmas from Creekstone and it got here 3 days late when it was supposed to be 2 day shipping and the box looked like it had been run over by something along the way.

Edited by kevwun

13 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

If I was a 777 pilot I would be calling Emirates before running a regional aircraft. 

My old neighbor was a regional jet pilot who moved to Dubai to work for Emirates and now lives in Tennessee working for FedEx, so this hits close to home. He loved Emirates and met his Australian flight attendant wife while living there, but 7-8 years of living in the UAE was fun, but enough for him. And getting a job with Emirates back around 2010 wasn’t easy. FedEx might not be a great company, but it’s a dream type job for pilots. Great pay, very light workloads, consistent schedules, and no civilian passengers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Just as George Carlin said 20 years ago the systems are breaking down. Every corporation as well as business schools in America started stressing all manner of revenue maxing and cost cutting at the expense of employee satisfaction/retention and it's created a society where everyone is out for themselves because they're tired of being screwed over by their employers. 

[Laughs in consulting firm]

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Ok. Everyone liquidate their 401k in 3-2-1…

awe fuck it.  Finger pointing is easier.

12 hours ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

My old neighbor was a regional jet pilot who moved to Dubai to work for Emirates and now lives in Tennessee working for FedEx, so this hits close to home. He loved Emirates and met his Australian flight attendant wife while living there, but 7-8 years of living in the UAE was fun, but enough for him. And getting a job with Emirates back around 2010 wasn’t easy. FedEx might not be a great company, but it’s a dream type job for pilots. Great pay, very light workloads, consistent schedules, and no civilian passengers. 

My pilot buddy says it sucks because of all the night flying. 

7 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Imagine constantly shipping $10k-30k IV medications to patients in rural areas where fed ex is the only alternative. 

Now imagine it's summer....

Welcome to my nightmare.

Genuinely curious, I wonder if it would be feasible to use a drone dispatch system to distribute medicine to rural areas. Mark Rober on YouTube did a great video on using a relatively small base site to service hard to reach areas in Rwanda that planes would never be able to land

5 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

we use fedex and ups daily for business. fedex business to business unit is vastly superior.

their “home delivery” unit is fucking horrible.

hate when people ship stuff to my house via fedex home 

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't FedEx Home use contractors for delivery versus UPS using employed drivers?

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Genuinely curious, I wonder if it would be feasible to use a drone dispatch system to distribute medicine to rural areas. Mark Rober on YouTube did a great video on using a relatively small base site to service hard to reach areas in Rwanda that planes would never be able to land

Weight and temperature control are the big issues for what we do. Meds must be on ice. Most of the time packages weigh 20 plus pounds with supplies, and  additional hydration that is required to administer the drug. 

But for oral meds, yes drone delivery should be the norm for rural areas. 

12 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Weight and temperature control are the big issues for what we do. Meds must be on ice. Most of the time packages weigh 20 plus pounds with supplies, and  additional hydration that is required to administer the drug. 

Forgetting weight, dupixent by drone might be fine. I'm not so sure about fentanyl, though.

1 hour ago, royiv said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't FedEx Home use contractors for delivery versus UPS using employed drivers?

honestly not sure, i just know a different truck will show up for fedex express, fedex ground, and fedex home. it crazy.

fedex is express is mostly overnight stuff, but they also have a “saver” that is more expensive and slower than ground.  makes no sense 

ups has one truck for all small package services 

15 hours ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

FedEx might not be a great company, but it’s a dream type job for pilots. Great pay, very light workloads, consistent schedules, and no civilian passengers. 

It’s a dream job as long as you’re ok with occasionally being attacked mid flight by a fellow pilot with a hammer

25 minutes ago, ballrific said:

I assumed everyone knew UPS for residential was > than FedEx while both vastly greater than the usps

Our business hours are in the UPS system, but UPS continues to ignore them. I had UPS try 4 days straight to deliver to my business later than 8:30PM. On the last day, I called UPS who guaranteed delivery on the following Monday morning. The packages arrived as I was walking to my car at 7:00PM.

Edited by Bevo

A lot of it depends on where you are, including down to which driver's route you live on.  UPS was absolute dog shit at our last house, but it was the driver.   He was replaced, and things magically improved. 

We live at the end of a large neighborhood next to a green belt, where people come to dump all kinds of things (I once found a stolen car still running in gear jammed up on a tree).  We see piles of Amazon packages with some regularity.  Sometimes it's porch pirates dumping loot they don't want, but sometimes it's just a bunch of unopened boxes, where the driver clearly just said fuck it and dumped out whatever was left to go party or whatever.  I've acted as a delivery driver for our neighborhood more than a couple of times.

FedEx, I haven't had many problems with lately.  Based on this thread I'll start preparing for the worst.

10 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

You should check out https://www.worldcourier.com/ I used to do some work for them years ago and I was always super impressed with their people and the service they provided.  They were acquired by AmerisourceBergen over a decade ago, but they still operate a bit like a small, specialty company.  They are expensive, but they are absolutely the experts when it comes to shipping drugs or anything temperature sensitive around the world.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, royiv said:

Around 30 years ago, FedEx was just air service for letter sized stuff, no big packages. Then they bought out RPS and changed that to FedEx Ground. Those RPS guys were contractors and owned their trucks and got paid per package delivered. Any time we refused a package, those fuckers would moan and bitch, "C'mon man, that's 28 cents I'm losing!". Even better when their trucks would break down and they'd be off work for a while. 

• Hook 'Em 1