ACC Championship - #14 Louisville vs #4 FSU - 7pm on ABC

Fud

Rain should help Louisville.  FSU will want to pass to beat Louisville and with a 2nd or 3rd string QB, they likely won't be able to air it out effectively in shit conditions.  UL has a legit run defense if FSU is forced to pound the rock.

Edited by Renarka

42 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

They lowered the heads to hit him because he started to slide, so they had plenty of time to decide. This isn't someone sliding and the players just hitting him while continuing their previous tackling motion. They aimed lower because he was going lower during his slide. I agree that sometimes this rule is unfair to defensive players. This is not one of those times. 

there is nothing the defensive player can do. they are targeting where the QB's legs will be if he is still running upright. 2-3 yards is a spilt second in football speed.  the QB's are also sliding like baseball players into a base.  If they want to give themselves up they need to slow down earlier.  FSU QB is going as fast as he can until the last 2 yards.

Also, what is the point at which "as soon as he starts to slide" as Fowler says on the broadcast?

The NCAA needs to start telling the teams that if the QB doesn't slow down right away he's fair game even if he slides.  FSU QB had plenty of time to get down earlier but he wanted more yards.

THe rule is dumb.  don't want your QB to get hit, coach him to get his ass down early.

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I feel like sliding has gotten more QBs hurt than if there wasn't an option to slide. It's an awkward position and QBs aren't shielding themselves against impact.

correct.  they are sliding like they are stealing a base at high speed to get as many yards as they can and put a defensive player in an impossible position.

The FSU QB even jumps forward to slide making it even harder.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Why is sliding considered safer than taking a quick knee anyway?  At least the knee forces the ball carrier to slow down and be under control, and doesn’t put their head near the ground if there is contact. 

Yeah, they act all concerned about player safety, but then make it so the QB will choose the least safe play. 

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Why is sliding considered safer than taking a quick knee anyway?  At least the knee forces the ball carrier to slow down and be under control, and doesn’t put their head near the ground if there is contact. 

because it is an unnatural action especially if you are getting chased from behind.  the slide is fine but they have to do it earlier.  they are encouraging the QB's to do this by calling the targeting.  get yo ass down earlier if you don't want to get hit.

these guys are football players.  they've been getting hit all their lives. they want to get as many yards as possible for their team. They have to be coached and ref'd to slide much earlier. 

17 minutes ago, Deej said:

Yeah, they act all concerned about player safety, but then make it so the QB will choose the least safe play. 

in theory going down head first is probably safer as your head is basically about 6 inches off the ground vs. 2 feet(where the knee/thigh area is).

you ask any receiver or RB they'd rather get hit high than low.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Most tacklers are going to go low. Try stopping any momentum in 4 yards in less than a second. He slid into what was already coming for him. 

This post ends like a cut line from No Country for Old Men.  “You can’t stop what’s comin’. It ain’t waiting’ on you.”

Fuck FSU.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

there is nothing the defensive player can do. they are targeting where the QB's legs will be if he is still running upright. 2-3 yards is a spilt second in football speed.  the QB's are also sliding like baseball players into a base.  If they want to give themselves up they need to slow down earlier.  FSU QB is going as fast as he can until the last 2 yards.

Also, what is the point at which "as soon as he starts to slide" as Fowler says on the broadcast?

The NCAA needs to start telling the teams that if the QB doesn't slow down right away he's fair game even if he slides.  FSU QB had plenty of time to get down earlier but he wanted more yards.

THe rule is dumb.  don't want your QB to get hit, coach him to get his ass down early.

That's not what happened on this play. They lowered there heads after he started sliding. Watch the actual play. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

That's not what happened on this play. They lowered there heads after he started sliding. Watch the actual play. 

I watched the actual play.  it happens in a split second, they are 2-3 yards from a guy going full fucking speed..  tell me you've never played football without telling me you've never played football.

The rule is stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

That hit wasnt that bad, he slid under it and probably 90% of the collision force went to the gator players hitting each other. The back of his head hit the turf though and that’s what put him out. 

And its hilarious that anyone thinks FSU loses this game even with a 3rd stringer. They’ll run all day and the refs aren’t about to let an ACC team miss the playoffs.

image.gif.c5b0dd6509289ae5fb5fda9d48dcc06f.gif

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I watched the actual play.  it happens in a split second, they are 2-3 yards from a guy going full fucking speed..  tell me you've never played football without telling me you've never played football.

The rule is stupid.

The rule may be stupid. But they very clearly lowered their heads to hit him because he was sliding. It was not part of trying to tackle him low. The rule can be wrong but this play is a really poor example of when it is wrong. 

Edited by Dahobbs

They’re pretty near the first down marker.  Maybe 3 yards short.  They don’t know that because they’re not looking at the sticks but they know they’re close.  General awareness.

they have to close the distance rapidly to stop the first down, so haul ass super fast and then, at the last second…

qb can fight or quit and they have to respond accordingly.

I think it’s bullshit.  Qb has a concussion because qb ran out into a grown ass man’s game.  He fucked around and found out.  Oh, and refs then rewarded his team with 15 yards.  

We want to disincentivize these things but they have incentivized the qb to basically play chicken.

They’re pretty near the first down marker.  Maybe 3 yards short.  They don’t know that because they’re not looking at the sticks but they know they’re close.  General awareness.

they have to close the distance rapidly to stop the first down, so haul ass super fast and then, at the last second…
qb can fight or quit and they have to respond accordingly.
I think it’s bullshit.  Qb has a concussion because qb ran out into a grown ass man’s game.  He fucked around and found out.  Oh, and refs then rewarded his team with 15 yards.  

We want to disincentivize these things but they have incentivized the qb to basically play chicken.
Meh, I typically agree but I think they had time on this play. But it seems like it may have helped us out in the end.

• Pancho changed the title to ACC Championship - #14 Louisville vs #4 FSU - 7pm on ABC

Pitt played both Louisville and FSU in Pittsburgh this season. We beat Louisville on a terrible weather night. I have no idea how we did it because our offense was crap for 9 games. We lost to FSU, i think 7-24. I was not especially impressed with FSU. I don’t think they are a top-4 team, even with Travis. But I still think for both Alabama to get in FSU must lose tonight.

I think Alabama and Texas should be in but, I don’t think the committee will do that if FSU wins.

I’m rooting for Louisville.

Oh fuck, Mr. Physicality is doing the game with Mr. Excitement.

Hopefully they also throw in Down Hill, Stout, and plenty of Physicality.

• Hook 'Em 1