ACC Championship - #14 Louisville vs #4 FSU - 7pm on ABC

Fud

The quarterback slide/take him out play like that one is like sacrificing a pawn for the other guy's queen. It's not very sportsmanlike, but shit, it's going to be an advantage every time. I was actually worried about Arch doing it on that one play in the 3rd quarter. There was a defensive player in front of him and behind him that could have completely taken him out, if they had wanted to. Or been told to...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jw4381 said:

The quarterback slide/take him out play like that one is like sacrificing a pawn for the other guy's queen. It's not very sportsmanlike, but shit, it's going to be an advantage every time. I was actually worried about Arch doing it on that one play in the 3rd quarter. There was a defensive player in front of him and behind him that could have completely taken him out, if they had wanted to. Or been told to...

If it ever got out that someone told someone to go after the other qbs head in a slide…that would have to be insta death penalty? Wait it’s the ncaa so could be a 3 week ban. 

• Rage+1 1

And that’s why you should slide well in advance of being near a defensive player, if that’s your intention.  It’s too vulnerable a position to be in for a questionable of obviously late hit, and also helps take the onus off of the defense solely for being responsible for avoiding a collision.  

unsure of the ability to legislate that though. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I believe Pickett is why the rule was changed yes. 

The rules wasn't changed.  The officials in that game got it wrong and the NCAA had to re-emphasize the rule to avoid unsafe plays.  The NFL rule was changed to the NCAA one because of Michael Vick and that was late 90s/early 00s.

They did the same thing this year with all the teams that were trying to push returners into loose punts, but it didn't get as much media play.

Edited by JBJ

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

IMO. If you run outside the pocket, you become fair game. The slide rule is bullshit. 

If someone is running at you and then they purposefully fall down, don't chase them to the ground. That's not even smart tackling, anyway, if they're doing some kind of cool falling-down juke. Get under control and be prepared to go either way. Remember our DB who just wildly threw himself forward at a spinning Bryce Young?

The only reason to chase him to the ground is "HELL YEAH BOOMSTICK BABY!" and that's not what defines the sport to me. I like big hits, but football isn't just Big Hits: The Sport.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yeah, he starts his slide about 2.5 yards in front of 2 guys coming at him full speed. It was a stupid move by him and he paid for it

Well after qb began his slide the stupidest of the two dumbass FL players got as low as he could to meet him head first at ground-level and the other one got lower and didn't let up at all. How far in advance do you think a qb should be required to start their slide?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chopper said:

image.png.d3a48af315b8180ad483665768209fe6.png

image.png.6a2387ebdbbf0bc2b0cf14597807165d.png

The problem I have with this is not that the slide is late.  It's that it is a terrible slide.   He's still upright when the defenders make contact.

When a QB slides the defender to taught to avoid him high.  This makes sense because the QB should be trying to get under any potential hit.   Contrast this hit with the one on Shapen, where the slide is still pretty late, but the defender drives down into the ground instead trying to avoid over the top.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

And its hilarious that anyone thinks FSU loses this game even with a 3rd stringer. They’ll run all day and the refs aren’t about to let an ACC team miss the playoffs.

The question is who has more control over the officials?  The ACC or Vegas

That hit wasnt that bad, he slid under it and probably 90% of the collision force went to the gator players hitting each other. The back of his head hit the turf though and that’s what put him out. 

And its hilarious that anyone thinks FSU loses this game even with a 3rd stringer. They’ll run all day and the refs aren’t about to let an ACC team miss the playoffs.

Excuse Me What GIF

5 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Well after qb began his slide the stupidest of the two dumbass FL players got as low as he could to meet him head first at ground-level and the other one got lower and didn't let up at all. How far in advance do you think a qb should be required to start their slide?

The biggest problem is the continuation of an attempted tackle. Similarly to the difference between late hit and legal hit on QB, there is a pretty subjective element to the ref viewing a tackler as "launching" at a runner versus continuing one last step before hitting the guy. That, and as mentioned earlier, the offensive player leaning into the contact. 

It might also help if the spot gets a whole lot less favorable to the slider... most of the ones I've seen this season, across all games, have been a yard or more farther up field than the rule specifies.

That hit wasnt that bad, he slid under it and probably 90% of the collision force went to the gator players hitting each other. The back of his head hit the turf though and that’s what put him out. 

You are slowly becoming @futureman

24 minutes ago, JBJ said:

The problem I have with this is not that the slide is late.  It's that it is a terrible slide.   He's still upright when the defenders make contact.

When a QB slides the defender to taught to avoid him high.  This makes sense because the QB should be trying to get under any potential hit.   Contrast this hit with the one on Shapen, where the slide is still pretty late, but the defender drives down into the ground instead trying to avoid over the top.

Sliding on turf sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, JBJ said:

The Florida players are clearly not trying to avoid at all. They get low because he slides. I'd say suspend them for the season, but ain't no season left for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is the spot at the beginning of the slide for every player, or when they are down by rule?

Same rule for everyone. I think some of the confusion is that "where they begin the slide" means when their knee touches the ground, not where they start dropping their hips toward the ground. There's no difference to my knowledge of the player being down rule for a slide. They're down when they're down. In the NFL there's a difference because they're down as soon as their knee touches, they do not need to be contacted to be down if they slide or otherwise give themselves up.

The only difference in college is that if you make a movement indicating you're going to slide and fake it then you're down where the fake started. That's the Kenny Pickett rule.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2

You realize how fast that is in real time, right. If you make that decision within 5 yards of the defensive player it's too late.
And not to mention, the QB knows exactly when he is going to do it and time it. The defensive player doesn't. You can't just stop on a dime and have your body avoid the QB in this situation. I get it, you want to protect the QBs. Without them, the product takes a dip. But if the QB wants to run down the field and become a runner well outside the pocket, all bets are off. Run at your own risk.

You have QBs just tip toe way down the sidelines because defenders are scared to even breathe on them. And you had that bullshit where the fake slide happened and he took off to score a TD. At least they put an end to that nonsense. But it shows how ridiculous this advantage the QB has when running.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I feel like sliding has gotten more QBs hurt than if there wasn't an option to slide. It's an awkward position and QBs aren't shielding themselves against impact.
Agreed. They would be better just meeting the defender with their own force going Forward. Slowing down and just sliding opens them up to getting drilled by a defense who can't just stop on a dime. Just like it did last weekend to the FSU player.
  • Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Deej said:

You realize how fast that is in real time, right. If you make that decision within 5 yards of the defensive player it's too late.

They lowered the heads to hit him because he started to slide, so they had plenty of time to decide. This isn't someone sliding and the players just hitting him while continuing their previous tackling motion. They aimed lower because he was going lower during his slide. I agree that sometimes this rule is unfair to defensive players. This is not one of those times. 

• Like 1

• Pancho changed the title to ACC Championship - #14 Louisville vs #4 FSU - 7pm on ABC