Florida State can fuck off

BigOrange1

13 minutes ago, immamac said:

FSU getting throttled 99-7 by Georgia is going to snap everyone out of it. 

I think everyone is in agreement that the current 4 best teams are in, and, without Travis, FSU might not beat anyone in the Top 10. As a fan with no dog in the hunt, I'm stoked that we should be getting the best games possible playoff games.

The committee just likes to oscillate between "best" and "most deserving" pretty loosely depending on which team they're trying to get in. An undefeated SEC East (often just as bad as the ACC) team would literally have to be playing towel boys in the backfield for the committee to even consider leaving them out. 

FSU was undefeated, the ACC had a winning record against the SEC, and FSU had a better OoC win (LSU) than their entire conference (Louisville).

But, to your point, everyone outside of Florida is going to snap out of it before the end of the week because no one cares enough about them. The outrage of leaving the SEC out would have lasted for months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

without Travis, FSU might not beat anyone in the Top 10.

Looking at their schedule the last 4 years, they've yet to beat a top 10 team even with Travis.

The guy is an amazing super senior that's benefitted by playing a shit schedule.

The last time he faced a top 10 opponent was 3 years ago against Notre Dame and he finished with a QBR of 40.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

Looking at their schedule the last 4 years, they've yet to beat a top 10 team even with Travis.

The guy is an amazing super senior that's benefitted by playing a shit schedule.

The last time he faced a top 10 opponent was 3 years ago against Notre Dame and he finished with a QBR of 40.

I assume we're talking teams that ended the season in the Top 10? LSU was #5 when they played them.

36 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

There's so many posts saying "i'm done watching this sport, my beliefs have been shattered, the games dont matter". 

People will huff and puff but they aint ever blowing that house down.

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It's the final team rankings that matter.  How many teams are inflated to start a season only to see them nosedive throughout the year?

Yeah, and FSU fans have had plenty of reasons to quit watching football in the past.  

Putting other teams/conferences aside, if FSU had dropped 50 points on Louisville, I think FSU is in.

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It's the final team rankings that matter.  How many teams are inflated to start a season only to see them nosedive throughout the year?

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

FSU has a problem. They keep making stupid decisions and blaming other people for their own decisions:

#1 The playoff system sucks. Having a committee sucks. Having 4 playoff spots and 5 power conferences sucks. Still, FSU (like all of the other schools) approved this convoluted format. Their decision.

#2 The criteria of the CFP committee sucks. There should be a rule that an undefeated Power 5 conference champ gets in over a 1-loss team. There should be, but there isn't. FSU, like all schools, approved this criteria, including the stipulation that injuries would be considered. 10 years have gone by and FSU has made no effort to change any of this criteria. Their decision.

#3 FSU approved the actions of the ACC commissioner who kept the 12-team playoff from starting this year. Their decision.

#4 FSU approved the shit sandwich ACC TV & GOR deal that is a disaster. FSU chose to sign-on to this deal and now is screaming to the high heavens in public board meetings about how this TV deal will destroy their athletics programs. Their decision. 

• Hook 'Em 6

i love that this thread i started while drunk on saturday night because of how shitty their football game was is now not only 7 pages and at the top of the board on tuesday morning, but also still relevant due to the overwhelming amount of whining and butt hurt from fsu fans/some members of the media over the past couple of days.  fun stuff.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

FSU has a problem. They keep making stupid decisions and blaming other people for their own decisions:
#1 The playoff system sucks. Having a committee sucks. Having 4 playoff spots and 5 power conferences sucks. Still, FSU (like all of the other schools) approved this convoluted format. Their decision.
#2 The criteria of the CFP committee sucks. There should be a rule that an undefeated Power 5 conference champ gets in over a 1-loss team. There should be, but there isn't. FSU, like all schools, approved this criteria, including the stipulation that injuries would be considered. 10 years have gone by and FSU has made no effort to change any of this criteria. Their decision.
#3 FSU approved the actions of the ACC commissioner who kept the 12-team playoff from starting this year. Their decision.
#4 FSU approved the shit sandwich ACC TV & GOR deal that is a disaster. FSU chose to sign-on to this deal and now is screaming to the high heavens in public board meetings about how this TV deal will destroy their athletics programs. Their decision. 

I’ll give you #3. Just because they went along with #1 doesn’t take away their right to complain in this situation. I’d be doing the same if it happened to Texas, though maybe not be as bitch-assed about it. I strongly disagree with #1. FSU played LSU. Great. Beat ‘em too. Better. But LSU turned out to be barely a top 20 team by end of year. Now replace that game and Florida with Alcorn St and Florida A&M. Easy wins. Add those to a putrid ACC schedule and they shouldn’t get in over 1-loss teams with resumes like Bama or Texas.

I think everyone is in agreement that the current 4 best teams are in, and, without Travis, FSU might not beat anyone in the Top 10. As a fan with no dog in the hunt, I'm stoked that we should be getting the best games possible playoff games.
The committee just likes to oscillate between "best" and "most deserving" pretty loosely depending on which team they're trying to get in. An undefeated SEC East (often just as bad as the ACC) team would literally have to be playing towel boys in the backfield for the committee to even consider leaving them out. 
FSU was undefeated, the ACC had a winning record against the SEC, and FSU had a better OoC win (LSU) than their entire conference (Louisville).
But, to your point, everyone outside of Florida is going to snap out of it before the end of the week because no one cares enough about them. The outrage of leaving the SEC out would have lasted for months.

I keep seeing this ACC with a 6-4 straight up record against the SEC. Has anybody done the research to see who those 10 matchups were? I know FSU beat LSU in the one marquee matchup but what are the others?

Sept. 2UNC at South CarolinaUNC wins 31-171-0

Sept. 2Virginia at TennesseeTennessee wins 49-131-1

Sept. 2LSU at Florida StateFlorida State wins 45-242-1

Sept. 9Texas A&M at Miami (FL)Miami (FL) wins 48-333-1

Sept. 9Vanderbilt at Wake ForestWake Forest wins 36-204-1

Sept. 16Georgia Tech at MississippiMississippi wins 48-234-2

Nov. 25Georgia at Georgia TechGeorgia wins 31-234-3

Nov. 25Clemson at South CarolinaClemson wins 16-75-3

Nov. 25Florida State at FloridaFlorida State wins 24-156-3

Nov. 25Kentucky at LouisvilleKentucky wins 38-31

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

There's so many posts saying "i'm done watching this sport, my beliefs have been shattered, the games dont matter". 

I say some variation of this to myself all the damn time. But I"m not stupid enough to say it out loud, or post it on a sports forum. Because I know it won't happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

MSU beat Arizona who ended up 1 spot behind LSU. FSU won more convincingly so I suppose that was more impressive.

Mizzou beat K-State. Ole Miss beat Tulane and Ga Tech. Auburn beat Cal. Georgia over Ga Tech. Kentucky over Louisville. Tenn over Virginia. Georgia over Ga Tech.

FSU beat LSU. Miami over Ags. FSU over UF. South Carolina lost to Clemson, UNC. Vandy lost to Wake.

Louisville beat last place Indiana. Pitt lost to the last place Big 12 team. Virginia lost to everybody Cept William&Mary. NCSU over Marshall. Syracuse beat Purdue, Army. Duke beat Northwestern. UNC beat Appalachian (in OT), Minnesota. Several beat Notre Dame, several lost (Clemson, Louisville won). BC lost to N. Illinois, beat Holy Cross by 3.

Ga Tech lost to Bowling Green by double digits, lost to Ole Miss by 20+. They finished tied for 4th. Va Tech, also tied for 4th, only beat Old Dominion.

So the ACC non-con wins worth anything are LSU (9-3), A&M (7-5), Appalachian State (8-5), Northwestern (7-5, that’s pushing it), and Notre Dame (9-3).

I suspect all conferences have sketchy non-conference resumes, but the ACC claiming superiority is not based on anything other than beating crappy teams. Even the SEC-ACC is weighted a bit towards top tier ACC teams beating bottom tier SEC teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

MSU beat Arizona who ended up 1 spot behind LSU. FSU won more convincingly so I suppose that was more impressive.

Mizzou beat K-State. Ole Miss beat Tulane and Ga Tech. Auburn beat Cal. Georgia over Ga Tech. Kentucky over Louisville. Tenn over Virginia. Georgia over Ga Tech.

FSU beat LSU. Miami over Ags. FSU over UF. South Carolina lost to Clemson, UNC. Vandy lost to Wake.

Louisville beat last place Indiana. Pitt lost to the last place Big 12 team. Virginia lost to everybody Cept William&Mary. NCSU over Marshall. Syracuse beat Purdue, Army. Duke beat Northwestern. UNC beat Appalachian (in OT), Minnesota. Several beat Notre Dame, several lost (Clemson, Louisville won). BC lost to N. Illinois, beat Holy Cross by 3.

Ga Tech lost to Bowling Green by double digits, lost to Ole Miss by 20+. They finished tied for 4th. Va Tech, also tied for 4th, only beat Old Dominion.

So the ACC non-con wins worth anything are LSU (9-3), A&M (7-5), Appalachian State (8-5), Northwestern (7-5, that’s pushing it), and Notre Dame (9-3).

I suspect all conferences have sketchy non-conference resumes, but the ACC claiming superiority is not based on anything other than beating crappy teams. Even the SEC-ACC is weighted a bit towards top tier ACC teams beating bottom tier SEC teams.

I don't think anyone if trying to claim that the ACC is anything other than the 5th best of the Power 5 conferences. Saying that they have a winning record against the SEC isn't an attempt to try to claim superiority...rather, just pointing out that, outside the top 1 or 2 teams, most P5 conferences are similar combinations of crappy to mediocre teams.

And FSU at least attempted to schedule well. No, they don't get full credit for what LSU, Florida, and Clemson usually are, but they do get some. I've seen people throw around "FSU isn't in for the same reason that Liberty isn't in" which is laughably dishonest.

34 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I say some variation of this to myself all the damn time. But I"m not stupid enough to say it out loud, or post it on a sports forum. Because I know it won't happen.

It's just hilarious that people are like "what is this, figure skating?? What the hell!"

Like yes, you fucking bozos, it is figure skating, and it's been figure skating, and anyone that has a mildly perceptive mind and can read obvious writing on the wall realized this years and years ago. This is about money and putting on the best show. And it expands next year. And if you think the expansion stops there, you are probably mistaken because more games means more money. Come, join the rest of us in reality.

Edited by Pam Cummings

I don't think anyone if trying to claim that the ACC is anything other than the 5th best of the Power 5 conferences. Saying that they have a winning record against the SEC isn't an attempt to try to claim superiority...rather, just pointing out that, outside the top 1 or 2 teams, most P5 conferences are similar combinations of crappy to mediocre teams.
And FSU at least attempted to schedule well. No, they don't get full credit for what LSU, Florida, and Clemson usually are, but they do get some. I've seen people throw around "FSU isn't in for the same reason that Liberty isn't in" which is laughably dishonest.

My post was part curiosity to drill down on those records. I agree that Liberty and FSU are not the same. With respect to polls, I’ve never been a fan of ranking based on losses, which by and large is how it goes. Too many teams, too many variations in schedules. So Im favor of breaking that mindset.

And college football is such that teams evolve over the year. Ga Tech is likely better than the version Ole Miss got. The season is a grind and it leads to games like us versus Houston. There’d be a very small chance they’d be competitive if we played again next week. There’s been a fair amount of discussion about Bama having improved since we played and the assumption that they’ve done more so than we have. We have scored 100 and given up 30 the past two weeks. Likely cause the grind was coming to an end allowing for more focus to reach the end goal.

We like to compare conferences, but as conferences expand, these comparisons become less reliable. From my perspective a win over Vandy is insignificant. In FSUs case, maybe it is bad luck that in conference they played the bottom dwellers and missed out on those that finished higher. But the larger the conference, the more likely that is to occur.

I don’t care for it but the answer is 4 conferences of 16 teams. Each of two divisions. Throw out any non-conference games in determining who advances to the conference final. That is as close to non-controversy you’ll get.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've seen some FSU fans publicly saying they should be playing in the CFP and that Georgia is beneath them and consolation games mean nothing.

I would love for Georgia to pick up on that and just dump 50 points on them.

If you see players that would otherwise be expected to skip, they're bringing the pain and definitely picked up on it.

Then again, their 2nd string probably still rips 40-50 off on them given how FSU played the last 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

They did. They had to score late against South Florida to put that game away. Alabama would have lost 4 or 5 games this year if they didn't have Milroe.

Well, they definitely lost 1 with Milroe.

I think there is an argument to be made that, at least as to recruiting, FSU's whiny reaction will harm them.

Option A - "injuries are part of football, if we had been 100% we would be in but we're not.  I feel sorry for these kids who did their best.  I will do everything in my power to get us in the CFP next year, we've proven we're close."

Option B - "we got treated unfairly and it's not fair, the SEC/Big10 schools are treated better."

If I'm a 'croot, I don't want to go to the school that's going to get cheated.  i think I would change my narrative asap.

3 minutes ago, CoTex said:

If I'm a 'croot, I don't want to go to the school that's going to get cheated.  i think I would change my narrative asap.

We won't know for a while how this shakes out but until this year, Norvell's recruiting has been pretty subpar. He's lived off of transfers and a weak schedule.

2020 (Transition Class) - 21
2021 - 21
2022 - 19
2023 - 16
2024 - Currently 3

3 hours ago, Josef Pwag said:

Agreed, FSU should have unilaterally changed the structure of the sport

• Haha 1

Many great teams are undefeated, but not all undefeated teams are great. (Liberty is undefeated but not great)

Many undefeated teams are great, but not all great teams are undefeated. (Georgia and Texas are great, but not undefeated)

Many great teams win their conference, but not all conference champs are great. (Kansas State last season was good, but not great)

Many conference champs are great, but not all great teams win their conference. (Georgia and Ohio State are great, but did not win their conferences).

FSU is an undefeated conference champ, and it's reasonable to think FSU is great.

But as I've said before, I don't think they'd have been undefeated against Michigan's schedule, Washington's schedule, Texas's schedule, or Alabama's schedule. Nor do I think they'd have matched the 1-loss records of Texas and Alabama against their respective schedules.

People complain about the "beauty pageant" and "eye test" and I agree those things are subjective, but under objective metrics such as SOS and game control, FSU at full strength would not have been one of the four best teams at the end of the season.

This is going to sound incredibly biased, but when Texas had close games, it never looked like the opponent was actually the better team. The final scores were not indicative of how much more talented Texas was than the opponent. Texas underperformed, which I hoped would improve, and from Iowa State and Texas Tech onward that improvement was visible.

When I watched the FSU-Clemson game, I did not come away thinking FSU is clearly better than Clemson. Same with the Miami game. The CCG I won't take into consideration because they didn't have their QB, but if Jordan Travis really believes his team is "so much more" than him, then by his logic it should be fair to judge the team's performance without him: unimpressive.

In games where FSU underperformed, like they did against Boston College, FSU was fortunate enough to escape with wins. For that reason, Bama's good fortune against Auburn is a wash. Texas of course also had good fortune with the bad spot at Houston and Kleiman's decision not to kick a FG on 4th down. The season is long and teams will underperform some weeks. That's why the committee looked more closely at the resumes, and when you do that, I don't think it's a close call.

Alabama is, and always has been, a better team than FSU.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Many great teams are undefeated, but not all undefeated teams are great. (Liberty is undefeated but not great)

Many undefeated teams are great, but not all great teams are undefeated. (Georgia and Texas are great, but not undefeated)

Many great teams win their conference, but not all conference champs are great. (Kansas State last season was good, but not great)

Many conference champs are great, but not all great teams win their conference. (Georgia and Ohio State are great, but did not win their conferences).

FSU is an undefeated conference champ, and it's reasonable to think FSU is great.

But as I've said before, I don't think they'd have been undefeated against Michigan's schedule, Washington's schedule, Texas's schedule, or Alabama's schedule. Nor do I think they'd have matched the 1-loss records of Texas and Alabama against their respective schedules.

People complain about the "beauty pageant" and "eye test" and I agree those things are subjective, but under objective metrics such as SOS and game control, FSU at full strength would not have been one of the four best teams at the end of the season.

This is going to sound incredibly biased, but when Texas had close games, it never looked like the opponent was actually the better team. The final scores were not indicative of how much more talented Texas was than the opponent. Texas underperformed, which I hoped would improve, and from Iowa State and Texas Tech onward that improvement was visible.

When I watched the FSU-Clemson game, I did not come away thinking FSU is clearly better than Clemson. Same with the Miami game. The CCG I won't take into consideration because they didn't have their QB, but if Jordan Travis really believes his team is "so much more" than him, then by his logic it should be fair to judge the team's performance without him: unimpressive.

In games where FSU underperformed, like they did against Boston College, FSU was fortunate enough to escape with wins. For that reason, Bama's good fortune against Auburn is a wash. Texas of course also had good fortune with the bad spot at Houston and Kleiman's decision not to kick a FG on 4th down. The season is long and teams will underperform some weeks. That's why the committee looked more closely at the resumes, and when you do that, I don't think it's a close call.

Alabama is, and always has been, a better team than FSU.

The fuck this got to do with my car warranty? 

Noles are beating Georgia you read it here first. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

Michigan played an easier schedule than FSU?

East Carolina (2-10)

UNLV (9-4)

Bowling Green (7-5)

Rutgers (6-6)

Nebraska (5-7)

Minnesota (5-7)

Indiana (3-9)

Michigan State (4-8)

Purdue (4-8)

Penn State (10-2)

Maryland (7-5)

Ohio State (11-1)

Yeah, I'd say that schedule is god awful by any standard.

13 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

Definitely awful... but is it easer than FSU's?

It's kind of splitting hairs. Not sure Iowa and Penn State are 10 win teams in other conferences. I think Ohio State probably beats FSU. No way any other team on that schedule does. It's also ridiculous that Michigan didn't schedule a single P5 opponent out of conference. At least FSU tried to make up for their shitty conference schedule.