Week 14, 2023, Texas v Washington, College Football Playoff Edition

Wulaw Horn

18 minutes ago, Warrrshington said:

Just telling you what to expect. The guy melted down when we ended his SC career. He wore a carpetbagger hat and berated a field attendant last year. It’s going down again. DeBoer is DeGod👌👌Start sweating and squatting Steve😎

This board is aware of DeBoer and he was discussed by a few of us during our last coaching search so we know what he has done. Sark is no longer what he was at SC but you have not been watching. We get familiar with the competition. Come at us with smarter takes.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Warrrshington said:

Just telling you what to expect. The guy melted down when we ended his SC career. He wore a carpetbagger hat and berated a field attendant last year. It’s going down again. DeBoer is DeGod👌👌Start sweating and squatting Steve😎

Would you say the talent on Washington compared to last year is the same, better, or a lot better? I assume it can’t be worse. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

So, our run defense was also good last year, but Washington shredded it. My feeling at that the time is that it was largely Washington taking advantage of us not having Overshown. However, were there other things that Washington did that allowed it to have success? 

No, just 100% Overshown.  Had Overshown played, Washington probably never even scores.  Maybe even never gains a yard.

• Haha 3

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/39034232/2023-college-football-bowl-picks-predicting-every-score

Who would have thought the 2022 Alamo Bowl was a preview of a CFP semifinal the following year? Washington won that night in San Antonio and hasn't lost since, a remarkable streak of 20 consecutive games under second-year coach Kalen DeBoer. Both teams had some tense moments in late October and early November, but pushed through to capture league titles. The matchup favors Washington, a pass-centric team that can attack an iffy Texas secondary with Rome Odunze and arguably the nation's best receiving corps, plus a quarterback in Michael Penix Jr. who should be even healthier for the game.

Texas' defensive line is capable of controlling the game, but Washington doesn't put a huge emphasis on between-the-tackles rushing. It's hard to go against Penix Jr. and DeBoer, who simply don't lose big games (9-0 against AP Top 25 opponents at Washington).

Prediction: Washington 37, Texas 33

Yes, in a huge surprise, espn is predicting a Bama national championship.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

No, just 100% Overshown.  Had Overshown played, Washington probably never even scores.  Maybe even never gains a yard.

I'm not sure why that's your response. I asked specifically about run game as opposed to overall scoring. I'm just curious what Washington did that allowed it to have success on the ground versus our usual standard. Certainly part of it was not having our best linebacker. What else was the difference? Strength up front? Or was it schematic? 

4 hours ago, sith_horn said:

I don't know whether passes over the middle, etc. are due to Sark alone, or to Ewers perhaps seeing the field better, going through his progressions and distributing the ball better. Or maybe the OL is doing better at maintaining the pocket's front line? Point being is, I often see foiled plays decried as Sark's poor play calling when often it's simply a failure of execution by one or more players. I might have even been guilty a time or too of that myself. Difficult to see everything going on as a play unfolds. Reviewing film is often revealing.

I definitely think the run game has been adjusted somewhat since Brooks went down, and glad for it.

I'm more concerned about how PK and our secondary handles Washington's passing game than our O against their D. I do recall they defensively schemed us well in the bowl game last season. But much has changed for us offensively since then and we don't have star players sitting this one out. Ewers mo better, OL better, and multiple offensive weapons all over to stress them with.

Oddly, I think we have seen more 2 Back sets since Brooks went down. I think all of the explosive runs the last 2 weeks came out of that. Sark adding a little more misdirection. When Keilan or Blue get open lanes, they aren’t getting caught 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Prepare your anus 1

11 minutes ago, pacman said:

Is that all they had to say about our game? Nothing about our offense and how it matches up to their defense?

10 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Lol man we're all high on Sark but so far the UW shit talk on him is like 2/10 compared to the things that have been said about him on here even as recently as 2 months ago 

Point them to the thread maybe they will learn something although I doubt it.

49 minutes ago, Warrrshington said:

The game will be close, Sark will get tight, and the dawgs will prevail. He wants to beat his former team so badly. Not gonna happen. 

Playing Alabama in Tuscaloosa against his old boss left Sark cool and relaxed but paying Washington is going to get him to tighten up.

Granted the stakes are a bit higher this time.

At least it will be close.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, pacman said:

Yes, shallow article to cover every bowl game.

Seem a little disrespectful to just focus on their strength and not discuss their weaknesses and how we might exploit it. But ah well. At least ESPN thought we should be in the playoff. Too much to expect them to think we could win something in it.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Lol man we're all high on Sark but so far the UW shit talk on him is like 2/10 compared to the things that have been said about him on here even as recently as 2 months ago 

IMG_0157.gif.7291bcc8d2ade0115fa601d20116443c.gif

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Granted the stakes are a bit higher this time.

And one of them has been there, done that. Hmm, I wonder who?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

36 minutes ago, Warrrshington said:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, thunderlounge said:

IMG_0157.gif.7291bcc8d2ade0115fa601d20116443c.gif

And one of them has been there, done that. Hmm, I wonder who?

Well somebody has done it at a lower level as a head coach several times and not as an OC. DeBoer gives me a Tressel vibe. This will be a game that challenges our weakness. If the game was this weekend I would worry but Sark and PK have shown that with time they figure how to correct or mitigate issues. Also, I hope Fat Gary drops by with a few ideas for Sark and PK to consider.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

And there's plenty of POP coaches that have been in playoffs in their league too. It's not a slight on DeBoer, but a slight at the notion of Sark being "scared" in the playoffs. Nah man, he's been there a time or two. He's far from the person to whom the troll was referring.

It won't be a cakewalk, of course not. But have either of their lines been across from what we bring to the table? That's where it starts, IMO. The trenches. They'll be well conditioned, but they will be tested more than they have been all season. We've played (and beaten) better lines.

One thing in Sark's clear favor is experience in a game like this.  While never the head man this isn't his first rodeo with one of these big post season games.  He has worked under one guy in Pete that has always been really good at it (say what you will about some of his in game decision making but Pete's teams have never shown up in the big game not ready to play and play well at both the college and NFL level) and of course the master in Saban.  A lot can be done well or screwed up in terms of prep and getting a team ready the next four weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UTGrad98 said:

So far our Washington guests remind me of some teenagers going to eat at McDonald's and interrupting bunch of old dudes sitting and drinking their coffee around 530am and then going home to pass out. 

Probably what people thought of me when I was on mushrooms at kerbey lane in college. Sorry for partying. Though I think I was too paranoid and engrossed with my omelet and the meaning of life to interrupt anyone else’s meal. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Probably what people thought of me when I was on mushrooms at kerbey lane in college. Sorry for partying. Though I think I was too paranoid and engrossed with my omelet and the meaning of life to interrupt anyone else’s meal. 

lulz

I went to Dennys on St. Johns late one night with my roommate and we were both on shrooms. It was one of those "this isn't working, should take a lot more situations."

My roommate, "The letters on my menu are moving around like ants."

• Haha 3

Flame me if I’m late to the party, but there seems to be 0 clarity on Williams.

There’s a section of the rule that says you sit for a half of a postseason game if you get flagged for targeting in the last regular season game. There’s no section detailing what happens if you get flagged in a postseason game and how it affects additional postseason games.

Does he get off scot-free? Big 12 could throw us a bone and overturn the horrendous call and make it all moot

• Hook 'Em 1

I think our defense is good enough to stop Washington 50-60% of their drives. The key to winning is going to be our offense. We have a qb who can deliver the ball anywhere and on target. We have receivers who can catch anything. We have a couple of running backs who are a threat to go all the way on any fucking play. We simply cannot go conservative at any point in the game. Sark has to let it all hang out on every series. Use the entire playbook (except for the delay handoffs up the middle). I kinda think if the coaches do their job and we show focus and discipline, we can blow these motherfuckers out of the water.

ONe note though. They will do everything they can to put pressure on Ewers. That's where Sark needs to concentrate his efforts. Keep them off balance, move that ball around, get Ewers out of the pocket for long balls and above all, keep him healthy. Swings screens. Quinn has thrown a few balls cross-field that were dangerously close to being intercepted. Stop that shit. If we can avoid turning the ball over, we're going to win this one.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Wasn’t Kelian Robinson’s stat line like 4 carries for 75 yds and 2 TDs? I thought Blue was great but let’s not overlook that performance either 

I love what K Rob brings to the scene.  It's almost like he is our version of 2005 Ramonce.(sp?)

• Hook 'Em 4

The key to our offensive success might just hinge on how well our receivers block on those wide-receiver and TE screens. Block well, and we move right down the field. Block bad, and we're wasting possessions. Sanders, I'm looking at you.

Also, Christian Jones needs to be spending the next 4 weeks learning how to not false-start.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, C-Man said:

Don't look now but Bohls picks Texas to win the whole fucking thing: https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/columns/2023/12/03/texas-cfp-win-championship-football-sugar-bowl-washington-huskies-longhorns-2023-playoff/71793723007/?fbclid=IwAR0VGaMYfA28uj8OzH0UpA6vmsohF9ab26njHRFu2alWSSmwjGix7SZt4tc

Of course this is the same guy who was citing the "eye test" last week in saying Oregon was better than Texas.

He's going for the reverse jinx... the fucker.  

Edited by RabidM

I remember Terrance Brooks being lock down vs Washington in the Alamo Bowl. I think Brooks, Manny, and Watts are very capable of playing with these guys. I don’t know what we’re going to do at safety though. I wish Austin Jordan was moved to one of the safety positions in the Spring. 

6 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I think our defense is good enough to stop Washington 50-60% of their drives. The key to winning is going to be our offense. We have a qb who can deliver the ball anywhere and on target. We have receivers who can catch anything. We have a couple of running backs who are a threat to go all the way on any fucking play. We simply cannot go conservative at any point in the game. Sark has to let it all hang out on every series. Use the entire playbook (except for the delay handoffs up the middle). I kinda think if the coaches do their job and we show focus and discipline, we can blow these motherfuckers out of the water.

ONe note though. They will do everything they can to put pressure on Ewers. That's where Sark needs to concentrate his efforts. Keep them off balance, move that ball around, get Ewers out of the pocket for long balls and above all, keep him healthy. Swings screens. Quinn has thrown a few balls cross-field that were dangerously close to being intercepted. Stop that shit. If we can avoid turning the ball over, we're going to win this one.

I'd love to see Sark now dial up a little more deception off those WR screen sets. A lot of those screens go nowhere; they get sniffed out instantly, and we don't consistently block well enough out there. I assume Sark has a reason behind every play, so maybe he keeps running that one partly to set up a variation at a critical point of a playoff game. At least, that's what I'm telling myself. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Cajun said:

Turned on the Finebaum show and the first subject he covered (of course) was the CFP selections.  He said, and I quote - "So, it's Michigan, Washington, and two SEC teams, Alabama & Texas".  

Boy, how times and attitudes have changed on that show.

LMAO 

Middle finger rep is cool and all @Bobby Layne, but damned if I’m not curious to find out why my just relating what Finebaum said on his show would garner such a response.

Care to give some context?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Warrrshington said:

DeBoer is DeGod👌👌Start sweating and squatting Steve😎

16 hours ago, Qruel said:

First time here, actually! My goal is most negs possible. So, I appear to be on the right track. It’s a fucking website, I couldn’t give a fuck less.

giphy.gif

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Seem a little disrespectful to just focus on their strength and not discuss their weaknesses and how we might exploit it. But ah well. At least ESPN thought we should be in the playoff. Too much to expect them to think we could win something in it.

technically we are still b12.

espn sucks.

• immamac unpinned this topic
  • Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic