CFP Semifinal: Texas vs Washington - 7:45pm on ESPN

Pancho

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We tried just about everything man....idk what more you want us to do other than a house party blitz. 

I had been drinking all day but that was where I came out watching the game from a YL seat in the 300 level.  I felt like we tried everything on defense and it didn't really matter.  The Defense actually played well enough to win which is pretty shocking considering how elite Penix and those WR's played.

• Hook 'Em 1

I really thought Penix would be a statue back there that we’d get to easily. He hadn’t shown that kind of mobility this year. And they definitely never called runs for him like they did against us. Just have to tip your cap.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I really thought Penix would be a statue back there that we’d get to easily. He hadn’t shown that kind of mobility this year. And they definitely never called runs for him like they did against us. Just have to tip your cap.

Shouldn't you still be fisting yourself?

H97

Congrats on the victory.  Your early posts implied a higher level of confidence in Penix and crew to perform at peak levels.   You were right, and that was kryptonite for us.  You also point out where our “answers” on D fell short.

And, apologies for getting short with you a time or two.   Just a more analytical fan base over here, little that it helped us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Huskyfan1997 said:

Our passing game has not been that sharp since the first 3 games of the season.  Most of that is being healthy, but it shows how little depth UW has.  Penix was 19-20 for 300+ yards targeting his 4 main receivers.  That is just insane and bad luck for Texas if I'm being honest.  

That's exactly what I said during the game to my wife.   I listen to Sirius XM and read a bunch of the national articles during the CFB season.  People tended to forget that THE hot topic those first few games of the season is whether UW was the best team in the country and whether anyone could stop that offense.  That was the version of the UW offense we saw. Not whatever version struggled in the middle of the season after the first Oregon game.  I was sitting there thinking as hot as Penix was they should have thrown it every single play regardless of down and distance.  As a neutral observer, I truly hope Penix stays that hot again next Monday so we see how that elite QB and WR play does against Michigan's (admittedly much better) D.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

That's exactly what I said during the game to my wife.   I listen to Sirius XM and read a bunch of the national articles during the CFB season.  People tended to forget that THE hot topic those first few games of the season is whether UW was the best team in the country and whether anyone could stop that offense.  That was the version of the UW offense we saw. Not whatever version struggled in the middle of the season after the first Oregon game.  I was sitting there thinking as hot as Penix was they should have thrown it every single played regardless of down and distance.  As a neutral observer, I truly hope Penix stays that hot again next Monday so we see how that elite QB and WR play does against Michigan's (admittedly much better) D.

I think Penix is going to have a much harder time against UM than he did against us. Hope I'm wrong.

I'd be curious to see how many hits we got on Penix in the pocket. I can't recall a single throw he made where we put a hit on him after (like UW did to Ewers when the back of his head slammed into the ground), I'm sure there must have been at least a couple right?

2 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Couple of other mentions: IIRC, in the last ten min or so, we actually increased our numbers of blitzers, and it gave Penix some problems. WE saw a bad pass or two, maybe a drop. We got the ball back. Think maybe we should have been doing this sooner.

And the other thing: What a shitty onside kick. How in this day and age can experienced coaches not have taken a good look at all of the onside kicks that have worked and not concluded that kicking the top of the ball and making it take a short hop then a big hop is the way to go. Furthermore, dammit, whenever anyone does an onside these days, it looks as if they've never practiced it in their lives. If practiced enough, I gotta believe that you can up the odds significantly of getting one of those sucker. Sadly, UT's OSK sucked.

I think Washington didn't have anyone back on the onside kick.  If that's the case, we should be coaching the guys that the kicker will pooch kick the ball over their heads and our guys can all make a mad dash for the ball.  Our guys would all have the momentum going in the right direction and their guys would have to stop and turn around.

• Hook 'Em 1

Michigan has a much better pass rush than we do, so he won't have a nice clean pocket to move around in while only avoiding a single pass rusher most of the time.  Their dline is salty.  Milroe couldn't manage to get around the edge on them consistently.

Edited by kevwun

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

Michigan has a much better pass rush than we do, so he won't have a nice clean pocket to move around in while only avoiding a single pass rusher most of the time.

I really would have liked to see us lining up more potential pass rushers on the LOS and try to get some quick pressure/cause some confusion in the OL about who is coming. For the most part our blitzes were delayed and Penix and his line picked them up every time.

13 minutes ago, Skipper said:

That's exactly what I said during the game to my wife.   I listen to Sirius XM and read a bunch of the national articles during the CFB season.  People tended to forget that THE hot topic those first few games of the season is whether UW was the best team in the country and whether anyone could stop that offense.  That was the version of the UW offense we saw. Not whatever version struggled in the middle of the season after the first Oregon game.  I was sitting there thinking as hot as Penix was they should have thrown it every single play regardless of down and distance.  As a neutral observer, I truly hope Penix stays that hot again next Monday so we see how that elite QB and WR play does against Michigan's (admittedly much better) D.

IMO, I think the pass defense stats on both teams were misleading.  UW's pass defense ranking was highly skewed due to the high flying Pac 12 offenses and future NFL QB's they played.  And UW's formula is to get up early in the game and then hold on for dear life at the end of games (giving up a lot of passing yards).

And Texas sure seemed really good in coverage in this game.  Only 1 time did I see a UW receiver completely burn a CB.  And that was a smart intentional PI on your CB that play.  All other completed passes were basically perfectly placed balls.  Your CB's looked like they covered our receivers very well, compared to other opponents that I've seen.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Odunze and Trice are redshirt juniors.    You did get Penix correct.  

WA official roster already has 2024 (next year) listed which I find odd, hence the confusion.

two OLs are 6th year seniors.

the TE that caught a few as well.

a couple others.

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

I'm acknowledging that Penix was always going to put up big numbers against us, but for most of the game he was way too comfortable.  We should have been able to put some hits on him and get him thinking about the rush.

Especially in the first half we went heavy with delayed blitzes which imo was a terrible gameplan against a QB like Penix. You aren't going to confuse him with delayed disguised blitzes, he's too good at recognition for that. Line up some pass rushers in A gaps and see if we can manage to get some immediate pressure in his face, did we do that much?

Michigan is going to stunt and twist the shit out of Washington and will likely get a lot more hurries. Can Pennix dink and dunk to a win?

I think they get to 3rd and manageable but don’t have the running game to convert short yardage enough. 
in addition , the refs are going to call penalties on them too which means at least 3 holding calls.

Penix can dink, etc, has quite good mobility on breakdowns or designed draws, and has the experience to deal with more than what we’ve seen.  I think the pull away from Michigan, but my forecasts are worth nothing.  

Edited by nbmishoid
Splchk

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He was literally avoiding it by his pocket movement. We had the second most pressures on him all season.

I was shocked we were in the game with no sacks. I do think it proves that if you can stop the run, you have a chance against anyone.

Yeah per the college pff team, do you really believe those numbers? I can recall about 3 times we had a legit shot at sacking him.

at least 5 - at least 3 where we got an arm on him or had a chance to tackle and missed. at least two where he was hurried to throw. pressure was actually good to really good. his ability to evade the rush was out of this freaking world.

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

I for one would like another shot at that game.  I feel like our A game against what I saw in the superdome, we would whip their asses.  I understand that's not how it works.

I think the number one way we all knew Texas could lose is falling asleep in the 3rd quarter and red zone offense. Both happened. 3rd quarter was two fumbles. Red zone offense in the 4th quarter. Everyone wants to "boil it down" it was the third quarter disappearing act and red zone offense. Of course better Edge play woulda been nice for a few sacks, but that was not what we needed most.

Yeah I feel the same way man. I think we played a C level game. If we play our best game I think we win by more than 1 score. That's why I find it very annoying seeing this mentality that "oh well we just lost to a superman level performance". Yes Penix is a fucking beast but that wasn't 2019 LSU that we lost to. If we played our best game we win and we didn't do that. Oh well.

If I'm going to get frustrated and upset this would be why, we didn't play our best and had we, it's like the 10+ game at Alabama. Hell, we dominated the 4th in this one too, just couldn't close it out.  A lot of that credit goes to WA - the blocked passes (great prep), moving Trice away from Banks (massive impact), front seven confusion for Ewers, I'm sure more. The refs didn't give the game to WA but they for sure cut into our focus, execution and confidence.

51 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I had been drinking all day but that was where I came out watching the game from a YL seat in the 300 level.  I felt like we tried everything on defense and it didn't really matter.  The Defense actually played well enough to win which is pretty shocking considering how elite Penix and those WR's played.

This is truth, I said +1 in TOs and 4-5 stops. I think Texas D was "torched" but still did what the formula required to win. We lost how we know we can - disappearing in the 3rd and redzone offense. FUCK.

39 minutes ago, Huskyfan1997 said:

I am not here to gloat.  This game was excruciating to watch as a husky fan, and Texas would just not go away.  I really thought you guys would steal the game in the last seconds.  

I think all the talk pre-game was fairly accurate. 

Your interior D Line is no joke.  Our running game looked like a JV team trying to run on a varsity team.  Our pass protection is good, but that's not just the line.  That's a QB that does not hold the ball and take unnecessary sacks.  Together, they make an elite pass protection team.  

The key weakness on your D Line is on the edges.  If your edge rushers were as good as your interior line, then Penix would not have had any space to elude Murphy and you would have sacked Penix multiple times.  I think Michigan's D Line is strong across the whole line, so I think our O Line will have many more issues next game.  

Our passing game has not been that sharp since the first 3 games of the season.  Most of that is being healthy, but it shows how little depth UW has.  Penix was 19-20 for 300+ yards targeting his 4 main receivers.  That is just insane and bad luck for Texas if I'm being honest.  

WA is a super legit team. Coach is upper echelon. Penix is one of the best QBs college football has ever seen. We thought our Edge players would do better (no holdings calls in the Big 12 is a thing), and I honestly thought Burke and Anthony Hill might push Penix into the interior DL but when that happened Penix either threw the ball or slipped away and more importantly away from the bigs. He's brillant.  moving Trice to the other side was brillant, maybe the single best move by DoBoer. I was itching to see Banks and Trice go at it, I honestly thought Banks would win most. Never had the chance. I don't even think Texas was prepared for the possibility.

23 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I'd be curious to see how many hits we got on Penix in the pocket. I can't recall a single throw he made where we put a hit on him after (like UW did to Ewers when the back of his head slammed into the ground), I'm sure there must have been at least a couple right?

We got a hand on him twice. maybe one hit but I think none.

11 minutes ago, Huskyfan1997 said:

IMO, I think the pass defense stats on both teams were misleading.  UW's pass defense ranking was highly skewed due to the high flying Pac 12 offenses and future NFL QB's they played.  And UW's formula is to get up early in the game and then hold on for dear life at the end of games (giving up a lot of passing yards).

And Texas sure seemed really good in coverage in this game.  Only 1 time did I see a UW receiver completely burn a CB.  And that was a smart intentional PI on your CB that play.  All other completed passes were basically perfectly placed balls.  Your CB's looked like they covered our receivers very well, compared to other opponents that I've seen.  

Texas pass D was pretty good. even tipped the ball ... for a WA TD. contested catches and perfectly thrown balls make for a terrible night.

Another thing our D did well was stop 1st down. damn though Penix would get it all back on 2nd down.

• Drool 1

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

I don't care who you are playing, not getting a single hit on the QB is 100% a failure in defensive game planning.

still not why we lost. we lost because of the third quarter offense and red zone offense in the 4th. that's it -- and the oddly comforting part is that's already identified and can be worked on the next 9 months. 2024 Texas fills a few holes from departures and fixes only those two issues, Texas is the hands down favorite to win it all next year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Prepare your anus 1

12 minutes ago, troph said:

still not why we lost. we lost because of the third quarter offense and red zone offense in the 4th. that's it -- and the oddly comforting part is that's already identified and can be worked on the next 9 months. 2024 Texas fills a few holes from departures and fixes only those two issues, Texas is the hands down favorite to win it all next year.

It’s a huge factor in why we lost. There was never a point in the game where Penix was uncomfortable and thinking about the pass rush. The way to get a QB like Penix off his game is to get some hits on him and get his eyes down looking for pass rushers. Dude was grinning in the huddle like he didn’t have a care in the world.

Edited by elguapo
  • Hook 'Em 2

I have not seen Penix run on designed plays up the middle in the 2 years he's been at UW.  Did Dillon Gabriel have success doing those against you?  Our coaches must have seen something.

A common misconception about UW is that they are a fast-paced air raid offense.  They actually like to possess the ball.  They run up to the line quick, but only to see how the defense lines up.  They snap the ball at 0 time on the clock a lot.  We held Oregon to 2 minutes time of possession in the 1st quarter, but our running game was working.  We had to run Penix in the 3rd quarter against you because we couldn't run traditionally.  But we can eat up clock with dink and dunk too.  

• Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Couple of other mentions: IIRC, in the last ten min or so, we actually increased our numbers of blitzers, and it gave Penix some problems. WE saw a bad pass or two, maybe a drop. We got the ball back. Think maybe we should have been doing this sooner.

And the other thing: What a shitty onside kick. How in this day and age can experienced coaches not have taken a good look at all of the onside kicks that have worked and not concluded that kicking the top of the ball and making it take a short hop then a big hop is the way to go. Furthermore, dammit, whenever anyone does an onside these days, it looks as if they've never practiced it in their lives. If practiced enough, I gotta believe that you can up the odds significantly of getting one of those sucker. Sadly, UT's OSK sucked.

I think that is what they were trying.  The closest Texas player never looked.  I think he was expecting a hop.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Finished rewatching the game, 1st half last night after I got back and 2nd half today.

Third quarter was bad but overall the game was actually closer throughout than it felt like in person (guess that’s obvious for the first half 21-21). Penix was just incredible with pinpoint passes over decent coverage a number of times and just perfectly evading pressure again and again.

The final four plays leave me with a lot of what-ifs and wish we could have one or two better chances at the TD. But it was awesome to have the team fight back into that position.

We were damn close against a really good team, so the game itself I have no real regrets about except the unforced penalties. My disappointment primarily lies with the fact that the path to a national title will never be this favorable again, no matter how good of a team we are.

I hope UW wins Monday.

Yeah.  I don't think any of the 4 teams this year would win an MNC any time in the last 20 years.

18 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Gabriel carved our ass up running and throwing. Maybe something about the southpaws against us. He’s a beast and I don’t envy you having him on the schedule next year.

counterpoint: we were undefeated against right-handed QBs this year.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, CoTex said:

I for one would like another shot at that game.  I feel like our A game against what I saw in the superdome, we would whip their asses.  I understand that's not how it works.

I think they are too good to be "whipped" by anyone. We could win a rematch of chips fell our way but we are not going to blow them out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

UW just plays their game. Even when you are out playing them, they can get in you head. Case in point Oregon game 1. Oregon takes that game if they just kick field goals rather than going for it.

I'm not saying Texas wins the game without the fumbles, but I think you end up with a much more competitive and  compelling game in the 4th quarter without them.

In my pregame analysis I thought turnovers would be would more important than in most games, kind of like Red River, and they were. I just thought the risk would be from ints and not fumbles.

When the offense is not 100% not clicking and the defense is is on high alert the whole game all of the little things matter as then end of the game will bear out.

All that said, we did almost all we needed to do to steal this game, but failed on the end with legit opportunities with our best unit on the field. Super frustrating.

2 hours ago, elguapo said:

I don't care who you are playing, not getting a single hit on the QB is 100% a failure in defensive game planning.

Great. There was nothing we could do about it. Stop being a bitch.

Our defense spent 36:20 of game clock on the field. That is not a recipe for success, when your defensive strength is the interior DL. It’s a recipe for embarrassment when your opponent is an extremely dialed in 6th year senior QB with an NFL receiving corps. He was damn near perfect against us.

If I’m Michigan, my goal is to keep my offense on the field for 40 minutes. By the third quarter, I want Penix sitting on the sideline, worrying about how he HAS to be perfect in the very few remaining possessions Washington has left. And when he’s on the field, I want him to face my well rested pass rushers. Michigan can beat him mentally, if they play their cards right and establish the run early.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I think Washington didn't have anyone back on the onside kick.  If that's the case, we should be coaching the guys that the kicker will pooch kick the ball over their heads and our guys can all make a mad dash for the ball.  Our guys would all have the momentum going in the right direction and their guys would have to stop and turn around.

They had one guy about 15 or so yards behind the front wall; it might have been worth kicking it deep and toward one sideline to make it a 4 on 1 foot race. We did that against OU in 2010 and came within a step of recovering the kick…

3 hours ago, Huskyfan1997 said:

I am not here to gloat.  This game was excruciating to watch as a husky fan, and Texas would just not go away.  I really thought you guys would steal the game in the last seconds.  

I think all the talk pre-game was fairly accurate. 

Your interior D Line is no joke.  Our running game looked like a JV team trying to run on a varsity team.  Our pass protection is good, but that's not just the line.  That's a QB that does not hold the ball and take unnecessary sacks.  Together, they make an elite pass protection team.  

The key weakness on your D Line is on the edges.  If your edge rushers were as good as your interior line, then Penix would not have had any space to elude Murphy and you would have sacked Penix multiple times.  I think Michigan's D Line is strong across the whole line, so I think our O Line will have many more issues next game.  

Penix was really really impressive. He made all the throws and made it look easy. We weren’t able to make him uncomfortable and he made us pay

20 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Our defense spent 36:20 of game clock on the field. That is not a recipe for success, when your defensive strength is the interior DL. It’s a recipe for embarrassment when your opponent is an extremely dialed in 6th year senior QB with an NFL receiving corps. He was damn near perfect against us.

If I’m Michigan, my goal is to keep my offense on the field for 40 minutes. By the third quarter, I want Penix sitting on the sideline, worrying about how he HAS to be perfect in the very few remaining possessions Washington has left. And when he’s on the field, I want him to face my well rested pass rushers. Michigan can beat him mentally, if they play their cards right and establish the run early.

This

In hindsight, I wish we ran the ball more. But, I don't think Sark is programmed that way.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, elguapo said:

It’s a huge factor in why we lost. There was never a point in the game where Penix was uncomfortable and thinking about the pass rush. The way to get a QB like Penix off his game is to get some hits on him and get his eyes down looking for pass rushers. Dude was grinning in the huddle like he didn’t have a care in the world.

You are correct I just think in hindsight that was quite unlikely to happen despite a solid effort and game by our defense. But the red zone offense and  disappearing act while often occurring was more likely solvable against them and we didn’t do it. So you’re right but I think the offense was an easier problem to solve.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

This

In hindsight, I wish we ran the ball more. But, I don't think Sark is programmed that way.

He came out in the third doing that, but two fumbles kinda fucked things up. Playing behind with new clock rules turned the fourth quarter into a pass mostly situation. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Skipper said:

I tend to agree this is definitely how it is going to be going forward.   With NIL spreading the wealth around, Bama and UGA can't just stack a roster with 5 stars at every position where anyone else is at a massive talent disadvantage.   I think most years will be a lot more similar to this year where any of the final 4 teams can win and it's all a matter of who plays their best game on any given day.  It sucks to come so close and lose (particularly knowing we didn't play our A game) but our roster should FINALLY be back in the position that we should be in the 12 team mix most years which is all you can really ask for as a fan.  

Won't this be the first time ever in playoff history a team without a top 5 composite class will win it all?  Totally agree with you.  There will be 8-10 teams with a real shot, not 3-4.  But it's still not gonna be 20 teams with a shot - sorry aggy. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, elguapo said:

I'm acknowledging that Penix was always going to put up big numbers against us, but for most of the game he was way too comfortable.  We should have been able to put some hits on him and get him thinking about the rush.

Especially in the first half we went heavy with delayed blitzes which imo was a terrible gameplan against a QB like Penix. You aren't going to confuse him with delayed disguised blitzes, he's too good at recognition for that. Line up some pass rushers in A gaps and see if we can manage to get some immediate pressure in his face, did we do that much?

this is where I get a bit frustrated in CFB sometimes. Its not the pros. Sometimes outmatched teams will take the needed risks and make the needed adjustments to actually equalize the game a bit. I saw this with ASU (or Arizona) highlights against Washington. They ran reed boyd blitzes right up the A gap. both linebackers and it panicked penix. Not sure we did this once, maybe we did and I blocked it out of my memory, but I felt bit like you have to at some point toss out gambles, particularly at the very beginning of the game. Create disruption and second guessing.

This is partly why I think we won in Tuscaloosa. Sometimes I feel Saban just demands to play straightup. I get it, there is tons going on behind the scene as to why you do this, but still frustrates me when we do as you said - delayed blitzing - a bad plan to start, and then seemingly lose any ability to dictate any of our will on their offense. Who cares if you get burnt once. Get it over with and get your players playing like their ass is on fire.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I was thinking about that. You practice the hell out of OS kicks with two scenarios: In both, you have six or seven running near full speed by the time the ball is kicked. Would require great timing (i.e., practice). First scenario - the big bounce wherein your have your lead runners take out opponent trying to field the ball before it drops. Then two or three are a step behind ready to field the ball. The second scenario would be all seven in a mad dash for a pooch kick. 

Had we succeeded there, we would've had a minute and a half to go fifty yards - and two time outs. Damn. We woulda won that game.

13 minutes ago, staboner said:

this is where I get a bit frustrated in CFB sometimes. Its not the pros. Sometimes outmatched teams will take the needed risks and make the needed adjustments to actually equalize the game a bit. I saw this with ASU (or Arizona) highlights against Washington. They ran reed boyd blitzes right up the A gap. both linebackers and it panicked penix. Not sure we did this once, maybe we did and I blocked it out of my memory, but I felt bit like you have to at some point toss out gambles, particularly at the very beginning of the game. Create disruption and second guessing.

It was ASU.  Oregon tried to do the same thing in the 2nd game and it didn't work well at all for them because UDub kept Dillon Johnson in and did a much better job at picking those up.  

office-space-fixed.png

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

Think of it on the bright side, UW had possession almost 12 minutes longer than Texas and only managed to win by 6 points and was in danger of a loss in the final 15-20 seconds of the game.  Imagine if they would have lost.  The narrative would have been - what the fuck?  UW dominated, Texas was subpar and had an atrocious third quarter, and UW choked away a loss.  Yeah, that’s all I got.

Edited by 89Horn

Michigan is deep up front and rotates tons of guys. They shouldn’t have any issues wearing out.

This is partly why I think we won in Tuscaloosa. Sometimes I feel Saban just demands to play straightup. I get it, there is tons going on behind the scene as to why you do this, but still frustrates me when we do as you said - delayed blitzing - a bad plan to start, and then seemingly lose any ability to dictate any of our will on their offense. Who cares if you get burnt once. Get it over with and get your players playing like their ass is on fire.  

We tried blitzes up the A gap and couldn’t get home. They were slow developing and/or their line picked it up pretty well. Also some uncalled holds.
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, elguapo said:

Yeah per the college pff team, do you really believe those numbers? I can recall about 3 times we had a legit shot at sacking him.

Yes.  We had guys running free at him all night that couldn't manage to touch him.

they laid the ball on its side??? you saying that's now a bounce strategy?

That ball was never going to bounce. Probably the dumbest damn onsides attempt I’ve seen in my life. Texas had no shot of recovering that.
Looked like something a monkey would come up with after it bit a kid at Halloween.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

• immamac unpinned this topic