2024 NFL Playoffs - Wild Card Weekend

TrashMaster G

12 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

To hell with any of you Cowboys fans who allow your hatred of the Eagles to outweigh your hatred of baker. Hurts is tolerable whereas mayfield is not.

Mayfield is going down next week anyway

8 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Tampa will get run next week but Baker made himself another 20M ish this year.  Hate to see it.  

I think its probably closer to 60M that he made this year. He will get 3 years @ 20 from someone. Probably Tampa but someone is going to pay him. 

2 hours ago, Juicy said:

I think its probably closer to 60M that he made this year. He will get 3 years @ 20 from someone. Probably Tampa but someone is going to pay him. 

Yeah I saw what Geno got.  He likely gets 20-25 a year and 40-50 guaranteed.  On low end. It’s good to be a QB.  Still not baseball or NBA dough but damn…

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, runthebone said:

It took just 6 weeks for Sirianni to go from "intense" to "insufferable asshole."*

* "insufferable asshole" is correct 

They activated a curse when they let Dom the security meathead up on the sideline to taunt and scuffle with opposing players, and the team, coaches, and fans doubled down on their Dom love. Goodbye, dirtbags! At least the city saved $1m on Vaseline and  Crisco needed to grease up all the light poles. 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

I expect SF and Detroit will fucking drill GB and Tampa next week. The AFC's matchups are much more intriguing than those.

The AFC has three teams who could win the Super Bowl — Chiefs, Bills and Ravens. The NFC has one — SF.

2020 Steelers. Started 11-0. Lost to Washington and never recovered. Only won one game after that and they got raped by Baker's Browns in the wild card round. Same as this year's Eagles. 

Yikes. I recall the 1986 Jets started 10-1, lost five in a row but still made the playoffs and might’ve won a game (KC??) before losing to the Browns in OT.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah I saw what Geno got.  He likely gets 20-25 a year and 40-50 guaranteed.  On low end. It’s good to be a QB.  Still not baseball or NBA dough but damn…

Its crazy. The lions are expected to offer goff 4 years 175 mil. Like I like goff a lot but he isnt a 47 million a year QB IMO. That should be reserved for Mahomes and pretty much no one else. Purdy is going to end up getting absolutely PAID in 2 years. 

Edited by Juicy
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Its crazy. The lions are expected to offer goff 4 years 175 mil. Like I like goff a lot but he isnt a 47 million a year QB IMO. That should be reserved for Mahomes and pretty much no one else. Purdy is going to end up getting absolutely PAID in 2 years. 

What about if Goff is MVP of the Super Bowl? haha

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

I’d take Goff for 47 over Baker for 25.  It’s a crazy world.  Can’t believe people slept on Lamar.  

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

At least Goff has been to a super bowl. The Cowboys are probably gonna give Dak $60/per.

QB contracts are fucking insanity. There is no middle class it seems. It's either we aren't gonna pay you at all/we're only gonna use the franchise tag, or you had a really good season and now you somehow deserve more money than the Mahomes/Allen/Burrow tier of QBs.

Fuck that. What's wrong with telling a guy like Dak/Goff/Tua that they aren't that good and they need to take less money/be paid in the proper tier of QB ability? Incentivize big bonuses for deep playoff runs/good playoff performance.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

At least Goff has been to a super bowl. The Cowboys are probably gonna give Dak $60/per.

QB contracts are fucking insanity. There is no middle class it seems. It's either we aren't gonna pay you at all/we're only gonna use the franchise tag, or you had a really good season and now you somehow deserve more money than the Mahomes/Allen/Burrow tier of QBs.

Fuck that. What's wrong with telling a guy like Dak/Goff/Tua that they aren't that good and they need to take less money/be paid in the proper tier of QB ability? Incentivize big bonuses for deep playoff runs/good playoff performance.

Contract pay should be performance based.  Fuck guaranteed money.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

the players association should be behind it too. It would leave that much more money for the rest of the guys to get paid. 

Daniel Jones 40Mil/

Kyler 46mil/ (holy shit)

Rus 49mil/

Its crazy that these guys (rus I guess did something so he got paid for past performance but daniel fucking jones and kyler) are getting paid 40+ mil a year and are bottom 10 QBs in the league. WTF?

5 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

I think the Watson deal may kill the guaranteed money deals. 

He legit may quiet quit and just take all that money in order to not play football. No team is going to want to take that risk again if Watson doesn't come back for week 1 next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

37 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Unfortunately, they've made it a QB-centric league. What's obscene is the percentage of a salary cap a veteran QB's salary takes of a team's total cap. Any salary cap system that allows this: https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dak-prescott-signing-new-dallas-cowboys-highest-paid-ever-contract-impact-green-bay-packers-playoffs-jerry-jones is fucking stupid AF.

ARLINGTON - The Dallas Cowboys have long coyly suggested that we all might "wake up one morning'' and learn that a new contract extension has been agreed upon with QB Dak Prescott.

That "one morning'' isn't going to be Monday, following this Sunday NFL playoff opener here at AT&T Stadium today against Green Bay. In fact, the "one morning'' doesn't have to arrive until early March at the start of the new NFL business year, at which point Dak's untenable $59 million cap hit must be massaged.

But what might come Monday morning, following this game's result? An argument over Prescott's value, financially and otherwise. 

In addition to the Jones family's faith in Dak as a player and leader, the Cowboys have essentially made their bed in terms of Prescott being this team's centerpiece for the long term. The already-large commitment will, for cap reasons, almost surely lead to another large commitment in order to not only retain the player but also to spread out his money cap-wise so other roster business - new deals for Micah Parsons and CeeDee Lamb included - can be done.

Prescott is presently a "$40 million APY'' player ... who is likely to soon be a "$50 or $60 million APY'' player - which could make him the NFL's highest-paid player. ... ever.

The debate about "whether he is worth it'' will be part of this, and it is understandable; is Prescott really a "top QB''? What's he done to justify a $50 or $60 million salary? Maybe he should accept a discount that is more team-friendly? What's he done to set in stone the next big move?

The Cowboys' commitment will feel more justified to critics if Dak and the Cowboys today dispatch with the 7-point underdogs, and if they do it again the following week, and if they ... Well, you know.

Team owner Jerry Jones' position is that Dak as an MVP candidate and a Super Bowl contender makes it all worth it - at whatever the going rate will be.

"I just want him to be a part of having the team to be a Super Bowl quarterback," Jones said. "The idea of him not being our quarterback hasn't crossed my mind. I'm here like everybody else wanting him to be the Most Valuable Player in the NFL. We're trying to win the Super Bowl, and we have a better chance at winning it with him at quarterback playing at that level."

43 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I think the Watson deal may kill the guaranteed money deals. 

He legit may quiet quit and just take all that money in order to not play football. No team is going to want to take that risk again if Watson doesn't come back for week 1 next year. 

Dude got paid $10.5m for 2021 and the $27m signing bonus on extension (that he never played under and was torn up with his new Cleveland contract) from Texans and $230m fully guaranteed from Browns. Dude banked $267.5m guaranteed 2021-2026 and has played 12 games during the first half of that span. 

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Unfortunately, they've made it a QB-centric league. What's obscene is the percentage of a salary cap a veteran QB's salary takes of a team's total cap. Any salary cap system that allows this: https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dak-prescott-signing-new-dallas-cowboys-highest-paid-ever-contract-impact-green-bay-packers-playoffs-jerry-jones is fucking stupid AF.

Sounds about right for football man Jerry Jones along with his first round draft pick Mazi being bust this year.

6 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Sounds about right for football man Jerry Jones along with his first round draft pick Mazi being bust this year.

The thing is the Jones boys aren't the only ones doing this. When you have to commit more money (higher AAV) so you free up cap money to sign other stars like CeeDee and Micah (we can debate whether those two are worth it after Sunday's game), the system is bad.

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The thing is the Jones boys aren't the only ones doing this. When you have to commit more money (higher AAV) so you free up cap money to sign other stars like CeeDee and Micah (we can debate whether those two are worth it after Sunday's game), the system is bad.

It certainly doesn't help that Jerruh attaches sentimental value to these employees. Clouds the judgement. And also holds people back. Maybe sometimes people need to be cut loose for their own good, so they work harder and don't get comfortable.

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

A) At least Goff has been to a super bowl. The Cowboys are probably gonna give Dak $60/per.

B) QB contracts are fucking insanity. There is no middle class it seems. It's either we aren't gonna pay you at all/we're only gonna use the franchise tag, or you had a really good season and now you somehow deserve more money than the Mahomes/Allen/Burrow tier of QBs.

C) Fuck that. What's wrong with telling a guy like Dak/Goff/Tua that they aren't that good and they need to take less money/be paid in the proper tier of QB ability? Incentivize big bonuses for deep playoff runs/good playoff performance.

A - hard to change the system when the highest profile player (touches the ball 1/2 of the snaps, +\- special teams) gets way overpaid, but every team without a headline starter wants to have one so they grasp (IMO head liners are Mahomey, Lamar, Allen - close, or used to be, JoeCool, Hurt, ... well you get the idea), and Jerry likes to pay to create the illusion his players are great. Jerry's ego is part of the problem.
sidenote - running backs have gotten screwed in recent years, at least contract wise

B) Brock Purdy is getting fucked over, but it is why the 9ers can spend on other players; look back to when Russ was good early at Seattle. It is hard to be patient and develop a QB, props to the Packers for doing it with that psycho AA-ron, and maybe with Jordan Love. Too many times highly drafted/paid  QB's are not given time to develop or adapt to the pro game.

C) As much as I have been tired of the years of shit that has been the Lion, I have to give them credit for getting great value in swapping Stafford for Goff and a bunch of picks, those picks and Goff playing well are the reason they won the division (first time in about 25 years) and a playoff game (2nd time in 65 years). Those trades don't come around often, and too many times teams are too attached to the player or salary cap that may take a couple of years to clear. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Will that go the same for Hornsdown4ever Caleb?

Guess I’m on the wrong board as my primary loyalties rest with the Horns. Always.

Horns are a college university, though. Root for the Horns players in the pros? Absolutely. Keep hating their rivals players in the NFL? Not really. Cowboys have had some pretty good OU players over time. Evil Roy Williams, Demarco Murray, Ceedee Lamb. Didn't have any issue rooting for them. They also had a Horns WR in Roy Williams who was hard to root for after awhile because of how disinterested and lazy he became once he got traded here. Even had an aggy LB in Dat Nyugen that was fun to watch. Good little scrappy player.

Ok, I'm low on sleep and gonna ramble for a bit:

Just make it pay based on wins. Nothing for losses.

QB gets paid $2M/win. If they go 17-0 then win the Super Bowl, he gets $40M. If he goes 0-17, he gets a bus ticket home. Using that formula, Dak would've made $24M this year.

Christian McCaffrey is set to be paid almost $12M next year. So make a RB's pay $525k/game. That gives him $6.3M so far this year.

Tyreek Hill is set to be paid $30M per year. Is that a good cap for WRs? Seems high. That would make it $1.3m per win. At 11 wins, he makes $14.3M this year.

Do the same for every position based on what the most elite player would get. Maybe keep a league minimum of $750k/year so people can have families.

No "incentives" like number of yards or catches or sacks. The QB can hand it off 70 times in a row and he gets paid as long as they win.

Your reward for playing well is you get paid. Your punishment for screwing up, turning the ball over, etc, is you don't.

Do the same for the coaching staff.

Players will have a bigger drive to actually win and will be held accountable by their teammates. Coaches will have to prepare better and will be held accountable by their players. No more playing for draft picks if every game affects your bank account.

Fuck it.

On 1/16/2024 at 12:11 PM, Pam Cummings said:

Dak can do the "aw shucks" routine all he wants. He knows damn well he isn't worth that money.

To be fair - Almost none of them are.  I think a lot of owners are betting on much larger salary caps 2-3 years out to help cover it. Dallas is really hurting - QB and wide receiver both want bucks. That might be close to 40% of cap a few years out. They can rig the numbers for 1 or 2 years but at some point it has to be paid