Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire

BurntOrange&White

6 hours ago, Bullneck said:

"You don't want to be the guy who replaces the guy.  You want to be the guy who replaces him."

in our case, it was the guy that replaced the guy that replaced the guy

look at meatchicken

it was the guy that replaced the guy that replaced the guy that replaced the guy

• Haha 3

If I had 72 hours and I’m just looking at body of work I at least interview Vrabel. I’d pick him over Lanning. But there is so much fascination with Lanning even though DeBoer is the better HC imo. But DeBoer probably wants to stay put. I just don’t think Lanning works out and I sure as shit wouldn’t want to follow Saban. The margin for error is nil. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

If I had 72 hours and I’m just looking at body of work I at least interview Vrabel. I’d pick him over Lanning. But there is so much fascination with Lanning even though DeBoer is the better HC imo. But DeBoer probably wants to stay put. I just don’t think Lanning works out and I sure as shit wouldn’t want to follow Saban. The margin for error is nil. 

I'm not sold on DeBoar.. especially at a place like Bama.  He doesn't seem to really care about recruiting either.  

Lanning is young, full of energy.. seems like recruits, even if they choose to go elsewhere, like him a lot.  He will have growing pains but he at least has been on a staff with high expectations

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Let me put your mind at ease. Texas is finally "back" under the leadership of Sark and had our best season in well over a decade. We have Arch Manning and we are recruiting like a national championship contender and the floodgates are opening. You really think there is an amount of money large enough that we wont pony up to keep Sark here? Do you really think the Texas AD and big money donors would let us lose everything we worked so hard for?

You were on a roll until that last sentence.  The last 10 years want in on that argument.

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Lanning is young, full of energy.. seems like recruits, even if they choose to go elsewhere, like him a lot.  He will have growing pains but he at least has been on a staff with high expectations

But he’s not going to be the beneficiary of that sweet Phil Knight NIL money at Bama.

Yeah, I dont get the Lanning fellatio. He took over a team that was 12-2 &10-3 in Cristobal's last two full seasons (excluding 2020), and went 10-3 and 12-2. He's also  0-3 against Deboer/UW. He may be a good coach but I havent seen much from him yet as a HC that amazes me.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Yeah, I dont get the Lanning fellatio. He took over a team that was 12-2 &10-3 in Cristobal's last two full seasons (excluding 2020), and went 10-3 and 12-2. He's also  0-3 against Deboer/UW. He may be a good coach but I havent seen much from him yet as a HC that amazes me.  

He told ESPN his players speak through wins and not clicks. So he must be a great coach. Duh

7 minutes ago, Blotto said:

he's no sure thing but what established coach that checks all the boxes, wants to follow up the Greatest Coach ever in CFB?

10 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

he's no sure thing but what established coach that checks all the boxes, wants to follow up the Greatest Coach ever in CFB?

Probably none. I'm just saying I'd take Deboer 10  out of 10 times ahead of Lanning. We already know he owns Lanning. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

What is his allegiance to Bama ?  How is that greater than his allegiance to Texas? As of today, how is the Bama program better than Texas? 

Agree.  Bama is Bama because of Saban.  Well, he aint there anymore.  Everyone is acting like Bama is THE dream destination of every coach.  They forget that the 25 years between Bear Bryant and Saban was filled with the likes of Mike Shula, Mike Price (kind of), Franchione, and Mike DuBose.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Burt said:

Agree.  Bama is Bama because of Saban.  Well, he aint there anymore.  Everyone is acting like Bama is THE dream destination of every coach.  They forget that the 25 years between Bear Bryant and Saban was filled with the likes of Mike Shula, Mike Price (kind of), Franchione, and Mike DuBose.

Gene Stallings also won a championship in there.

• Like 1

This is like replacing Sir Alex Ferguson. They will never get it right, becuase it will never be as good as it was before.

They will fire several good coaches who simply can't live up to the expecations who will then go on to be very good coaches at other high profile jobs. And it only gets worse with NIL, Transfers, and a 12 Team Playoff.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Probably none. I'm just saying I'd take Deboer 10  out of 10 times ahead of Lanning. We already know he owns Lanning. 

I think DeBoer is a wizard and I was hoping aggy wouldn’t hire him because he has an eye for developing talent. Look what he did with all those 3-star guys at Washington when nobody knew who he was. It’s a safe bet for Alabama because they can just hire Lanning if DeBoer sucks after Year 3. There’s nowhere else for Lanning to go in the meantime besides USC. 

6 hours ago, Satchel said:

I agree with that. Don’t see an upside for him to leave Texas for Alabama.

It would honestly be hell for the next coach to come in after him and try to fill those shoes. One screw up and the hounds would be looking for blood. 

19 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Everybody be losing their mind Arch picked Texas because he wanted to go to school here and play football with Sark. NSIAP:

During his interview Arch said something that caught me off guard - "I always wanted to go to Texas since I was a kid". Sark being our coach just made his decision much easier. I guess we finally landed a kid who we all didn't know Texas was his dream school.

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 4

Let's hope Sark can now show Ryan Williams that he will have Quinn in year 1 and Arch for his next 2 seasons. He's apparently extremely high on Texas, and we have a shit ton to sell. CFP, SEC, 2 WR's going in the 1st-2nd rd, Sark selling his usage of WR's like Devonte Smith, Ruggs (before being a piece of shit), Waddle, Jeudy, Mitchell, Worthy, and so on. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Is it possible Bo Davis left (in part) because he knew Saban was done and figured Sark might leave?

Someone talk me off the ledge. I've gone from being a Sark doubter to needing him in my life.  The vegas odds with him as a relative longshot make no sense to me.

Go ahead and jump off the ledge.

Edited by Deej
  • Haha 3

I would call up Pete and give him a two year contract. Dude is 72 but acts like early 60’s. Just my stupid opinion but recruiting would be wild. Also he knows the pro side of it. And the whole coincidence thing with Saban and Carroll. That gives you a chance to really watch the up and comers and then pounce.
I will miss Saban. Beating Bama was a barometer for your team in some ways (not all teams.) he was the standard to beat. It’s weird he didn’t set up his team for a successor I guess or have a farewell tour year. I guess that’s how he wanted it to go. I think he had a bad taste in his mouth from all the fans wanting his ass gone early this year and was like have fun with me gone you ingrate fans. 

He had a farewell tour. He tried to win a championship one last time. I guarantee you he had decided months ago to quit. But he wasn’t going to tell anyone and it be a distraction and cost the team. I mean damn, they lost focus plenty this season. He would have been roasted for that.

I think if he had won the championship, he would have announced his retirement in the press conference after the game.

4 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

It would honestly be hell for the next coach to come in after him and try to fill those shoes. One screw up and the hounds would be looking for blood. 

Exactly. Remember after the Texas loss they were already “saban has lost it, who is our next coach?”

• immamac changed the title to Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire