Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire

BurntOrange&White

30 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

They have the money.  Friend is a AL alum, he talks all the time about the BILLIONS Saban has brought to the school over the years in donations, etc.  Not saying that's all athletic money, but they can easily afford to buyout Lanning is they think he's their guy

really... cause they are getting fucking worked by the NIL deals pretty hard these last 3 years.    I realize the SCHOOL cant pay the players, but if they have that much money, surely some creative SEC accounting can be had.... I mean for fuck sake its the SEC where the term bag man was initiated 45 years ago

35 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

They have the money.  Friend is a AL alum, he talks all the time about the BILLIONS Saban has brought to the school over the years in donations, etc.  Not saying that's all athletic money, but they can easily afford to buyout Lanning is they think he's their guy

Some radio talking head was claiming Saban brought in billions extra in tuition to Bama, because kids suddenly wanted to attend Bama. Um...what? Did they just take everyone who applied? Was the school not at full enrollment before Saban? 

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Some radio talking head was claiming Saban brought in billions extra in tuition to Bama, because kids suddenly wanted to attend Bama. Um...what? Did they just take everyone who applied? Was the school not at full enrollment before Saban? 

This was a common theme when I took Kid #1 on a college vistit to Bama in 2012.  We talked to the head of the ECE department 2:1.  After a really great discussion and my observation of the significant number of new and upgraded buildings, I asked, "where is all the money coming from?"  He said, (1) tons of federal money moving from UA-Hunstville to UA-Tuscaloosa (2) massive increase in non-resident applicants and enrollees.  The latter jumped dramatically because (1) very strong scholarship incentives (2) tons of auto-admit rejections to Texas (who did not want to go to A&M) and (3) kids who want to go to a place with great football.  I questioned #3 and he said, "Yes.  Believe it or not." 

Fwiw - Kid #1 could have gone to Bama for free, but went to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

it's a program where the school gives the head coach complete and total control. Nick Saban did anything and everything he wanted to do,with no interference.

That's because Saban earned the benefit of the doubt. Their boosters meddle as much as anywhere else. 

Managing big boosters is part of the job at ALL big time programs. Saban just did it so well that nobody thought much of it. That and winning big.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Deej said:

Out of state enrollment is appx 66%.  Southlake and HP kids all over that place in the last 10 years.  They pay a premium out of state.  Pre-Saban, Bama was all in state kids, for the most part.  All those NE students, CA, TX pay much more in tuition to be a part of the scene in T-town.  Its not your old Bama.  Auburn, same thing, to a degree.  TX HS kids, anecdotally, cant get in to Texas.  They dont want to go to College Station, cant afford TCU/SMU and Tech/Baylor is meh.  They started looking at SEC schools hard and they pay a premium to out of state.

1 minute ago, jdhorn92 said:

Out of state enrollment is appx 66%.  Southlake and HP kids all over that place in the last 10 years.  They pay a premium out of state.  Pre-Saban, Bama was all in state kids, for the most part.  All those NE students, CA, TX pay much more in tuition to be a part of the scene in T-town.  Its not your old Bama.  Auburn, same thing, to a degree.  TX HS kids, anecdotally, cant get in to Texas.  They dont want to go to College Station, cant afford TCU/SMU and Tech/Baylor is meh.  They started looking at SEC schools hard and they pay a premium to out of state.

But if they are tossing scholarship money at them, and I believe I've read on this side that Texas kids get in-state tuition, where's the extra money? 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, bamachine said:

Placeholder for my emotions.

Damn, I am old. Have witnessed both Bryant and now Saban, retiring, 41 years apart.

I agree with the "anyone but Dabo", no monkey paws please.

Oh you're gonna get Dabo, but it gets much worse. We are going to force him to take Cade Klubnik with him 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Deej said:

But if they are tossing scholarship money at them, and I believe I've read on this side that Texas kids get in-state tuition, where's the extra money? 

Good question.  Its my understanding from a good friend from Southlake is the scholarship/in state deal  is FR year only. That could have just been his package, but he's paying full out of state now.  Also, may be grade/GPA related to hold that in-state tab.

The state is trying to tap in to a more diverse worker pool to meet demands of growth in the state economic climate. Out of state tuition is nearly 3x

https://1819news.com/news/item/only-38-of-university-of-alabama-freshman-enrollment-from-alabama-less-than-half-undergrad-students-in-state

Edited by jdhorn92

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

They'll sell UAB to the Saudis if it keeps football rolling. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Why is Alabama such a highly sought-after job? Well, besides having a roster full of top talent, most of which will probably stay, it's a program where the school gives the head coach complete and total control. Nick Saban did anything and everything he wanted to do,with no interference.

Texas is not setup that way. It's a school with a lot of people who want to interfere.  This input is straight from the people inside Belmont. Texas is a great job, but you do have to deal with that issue. Sometimes that can be annoying.

Obviously, there are a ton of advantages to being at Texas over Bama that have already been listed in this thread.

Lol you think Bama was always like that? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Why is Alabama such a highly sought-after job? Well, besides having a roster full of top talent, most of which will probably stay, it's a program where the school gives the head coach complete and total control. Nick Saban did anything and everything he wanted to do,with no interference.

You think maybe the championships had a little to do with that? You think the next guy gets that same leeway if he doesn't come in and win immediately with all that Saban built there? The impossible standard that Saban built is why I don't think Alabama will be highly sought after as a job. You're following the greatest college head coach ever. I doubt that's something a lot of people want to do. 

34 minutes ago, Deej said:

It is well known in higher ed that a good sports program in one of the big 2 (football, men’s basketball) can lead to an increase in applications. Full enrollment is a bit of a misnomer because no college/university is truly ever “full.”

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, Mittens said:

Anyone who thinks that Sark would leave Texas for Bama is an absolute idiot.  Just a mouthbreathing moron.

I bet the plan was always for Sark to take over like Riley did from Stoops. But then our job came open and Sark couldn't turn it down. 

Just now, Pancho said:

It is well known in higher ed that a good sports program in one of the big 2 (football, men’s basketball) can lead to an increase in applications. Full enrollment is a bit of a misnomer because no college/university is truly ever “full.”

Yeah it’s been studied that a championship or championships in those 2 sports increases applications in the short-term. But when you win 6 in 12 years, it’s like a rolling window that stays open 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

You think maybe the championships had a little to do with that? You think the next guy gets that same leeway if he doesn't come in and win immediately with all that Saban built there? The impossible standard that Saban built is why I don't think Alabama will be highly sought after as a job. You're following the greatest college head coach ever. I doubt that's something a lot of people want to do. 

I've seen a lot of conjecture that Bama's NIL situation is mid pack at best in the SEC, which is believable for a lot of reasons.

Between that and having to follow the GOAT, I think a lot of coaches would be idiots to take that job unless all they're looking for is a golden parachute.  With Kirby Smart rolling at Georgia, Texas entering the league with what seems to be competent leadership, Brian Kelly at LSU, and schools in the league that suck but can bury you financially (Aggy), the next guy is likely fighting an uphill battle to be a playoff team on a regular basis.

4 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

Lol you think Bama was always like that? 

This.  Saban demanded control as a condition of taking the job.  He didn't say we need to put the bb's in the box, he said eff the bb's.  There was one voice, one leader, one way of doing business.  Saban won and so it worked.  Not everyone can do that.  He was/is a great leader and his "process" and framework was just what they needed.  Shula, Price (its rolling baby),  Dubose, Fran, none of them could do what Saban did.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've seen a lot of conjecture that Bama's NIL situation is mid pack at best in the SEC, which is believable for a lot of reasons.

Between that and having to follow the GOAT, I think a lot of coaches would be idiots to take that job unless all they're looking for is a golden parachute.  With Kirby Smart rolling at Georgia, Texas entering the league with what seems to be competent leadership, Brian Kelly at LSU, and schools in the league that suck but can bury you financially (Aggy), the next guy is likely fighting an uphill battle to be a playoff team on a regular basis.

I think it's going to be someone who wants a step up in competition. Lanning fits the bill and he's been in the SEC before. But now that Oregon is moving on to the Big 10, he'll face a similar path that he would have at Alabama. DeBoer also could be that guy as well and I bet it's easier to pull him out of Seattle as UW can't fight a salary war against Alabama. 

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

just ask aggy

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

If Saban has brought in billions, ask your friend why Alabama is not very well endowed.  Grinnell College in Iowa, Swarthmore, Pomona College etc... all are more well endowed than is Alabama. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States_by_endowment

Alabama's endowment for the whole University of Alabama system is less than 1/20th the size of the UT system. 

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah it’s been studied that a championship or championships in those 2 sports increases applications in the short-term. But when you win 6 in 12 years, it’s like a rolling window that stays open 

My son was a Senior last year and national merit.  We did a quick tour of colleges throughout the Southeast and the only reason we stopped by Bama was because of all the football success. Damn sure wasn’t the academics.  

36 minutes ago, bamachine said:

Placeholder for my emotions.

Damn, I am old. Have witnessed both Bryant and now Saban, retiring, 41 years apart.

I agree with the "anyone but Dabo", no monkey paws please.

Yep. The first Bama championship I was alive for was Bryants last.

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think it's going to be someone who wants a step up in competition. Lanning fits the bill and he's been in the SEC before. But now that Oregon is moving on to the Big 10, he'll face a similar path that he would have at Alabama. DeBoer also could be that guy as well and I bet it's easier to pull him out of Seattle as UW can't fight a salary war against Alabama. 

Maybe.  The Big 10 got tougher, but you still have at least half the league being more or less total garbage.

I think Lanning makes a lot of sense for Bama.  I don't know enough about him to have an opinion on whether or not it's a situation he wants.  He has a better opportunity in the Big 10 in terms of making the playoff and winning games.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

If Saban has brought in billions, ask your friend why Alabama is not very well endowed.  Grinnell College in Iowa, Swarthmore, Pomona College etc... all are more well endowed than is Alabama. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States_by_endowment

is it possible they poured all that cash into infrastructure, new buildings (the campus is booming) etc.. vs cash?  Think of it as "new money" as opposed to cash hoarding in an endowment, which would be more old money.  Just a thought.

Edited by jdhorn92

4 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Alabama's endowment for the whole University of Alabama system is less than 1/20th the size of the UT system. 

I noticed that too.  If their NIL isn't all that, and their endowment is shit, where are these billions?  

Their whole system has half the endowment of the University of Indiana System, and less than half of Michigan State.. 

• immamac changed the title to Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire