Super Bowl LVII - Las Vegas

tx 3 putt

10 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

Talking heads always need things to talk about, and this 49ers OT thing looks like one of those classic overblown stories. It starts with two players flippantly saying they didn't know the rule and turns into "Kyle Shanahan failed to prepare his team so they lost in OT." Can someone explain to me how Arik Armstead would play differently if he "knew the rule"? Did he let the Chiefs score a TD because he thought it'd help the 49ers win? Did he play with hesitation not knowing the rule and thinking maybe the defenses goal was to not stop the offense? I'm pretty positive after the Patriots-Falcons Super Bowl a Patriots player said he didn't know the overtime rule, but I can't find it after a quick search. But, there is this. I guess Mecole probably slept through all the meetings the Chiefs had on it.

“Can I tell a quick funny story? I threw a touchdown to this dude to end the game, and he had no idea,” Mahomes said, with his arm around Hardman. “I said, ‘Dude, we just won the Super Bowl.’ He had no idea. He didn’t even celebrate at the beginning.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/mecole-hardman-didnt-know-overtime-rule-patrick-mahomes-had-to-tell-him-he-won-the-game

lol wut. This would be a non-story if the Niners chose to kick in OT, but the fact their coaching staff clearly made the wrong choice and their players weren’t well-informed about the  OT Rules shows a lack of preparation for by the coaching staff, which is a huge story because it may have swung the outcome of the Super Bowl. 

Mecole was not on the Chiefs in the preseason so obviously his team at that time didn’t prep either. Or he missed that day.

My guess is that had Shanahan known Reid goes for 2 he might choose differently. His initial thought, which would be sound, is that worst case we both score TDs. More possessions trumps 4 down territory cause 4th and 5 from the 49ers 25 the Chiefs probably tie it.

I too thought SF should have went on defense first. It's the same strategy every college team uses when they win the OT toss. You always want to know exactly what you need to do. And if the other team does score, then ok, they have 4 downs to get a 1st down every time. That added play changes the playcalling and approach big time. KC had a big negative play early in that OT. Believe it was 2nd and 14. But with having 3 downs to get it, much different.

On the flip side of it, SF's defense did seem tired at the end of the game. They were just on the field on the final drive of regulation. And the only reason KC didn't score was because they didn't have enough time. Maybe they wanted to give them more of a breather. And they definitely did, with wasting half the quarter. Problem was, you can't take the ball first, put together a drive like that and then settle for 3 well within the redzone. Your defense can't be as aggressive knowing a TD ends the game. If SF had scored a TD, I think their defense is much more aggressive and takes some chances to make a big play to end the game. But they couldn't afford a breakdown and KC scoring to win.

Another aspect is thinking beyond the first 2 possessions. If both teams cancel each other out the first 2 possessions, SF gets the ball back now only needing a FG now that it's true sudden death. That seems like a big advantage now. Most possessions start on the 25, their kicker has a great leg. They roughly need only about 30-35 yards to get in FG position. They can usually pick that up with Ayuk/Jennings over the middle in a few plays. Running CMC and getting him on screens.

But SF was dangerously close to botching the whole thing and going 3 and out to start OT but got that hold call to extend the drive. Had they went 3 and out and KC gets the ball back only needing a FG, that was church. 

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Edit: The only reason for the game clock seems to be that there is a "two-minute intermission" between each period. So the game clock tracks when the intermission is if the game is still going.

This is correct, or at least that is how it was discussed on the radio this morning.  They were calling it a mini halftime or a long timeout so the players could get a break. 

5 hours ago, slorch said:

Not denying Reid's part in the relationship.  Mahomes changed Reid's trajectory, 

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

And as I said last night, Mahomes is lucky that Reid drafted him. 

4 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Very good partnership. I liked Reid before, even with Eagles.

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IReid without Mahomes has 4 NFCCG and a Super Bowl appearance. If I’m not mistaken he’s the only coach in NFL history to win 100 games with two teams, right?

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

He is a sneaky all time great. Was getting to the playoffs consistently with Alex Smith, him getting an all timer like Mahomes isnt fair.

3 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Per the Wikipedia machine this is correct, and he is also the only coach in NFL history to take 2 different teams to 4 straight conference championship games. Andy is the man,

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

That's just not correct. He was not "like every Tech QB ever". 

You're just so fucking far off it's hilarious. Go watch the guy's college highlights. It's an absolute show. He should have been the first pick in the draft.

Each of Reid and Mahomes are top of the food chain, together ... better hope your you're a Chief's fan. 

Andy Reid has been a known offensive talent since forever.  His Donovan McNabb coached teams went to 4 straight NFC Championship Games.  McNabb was an quality, above average QB, but he was never a super star that was going to carry a team on his back.

Reid leaving Philly was good for him, getting away from the microscope and going to the calming stability of the Hunt's was as good as he could hope for. Getting Mahomes, was perfect. I remember some one, Phil Simms I think, talking about Andy Reid getting Mahomes, "He finally has a QB that can run his offense." Reid was a fixture in the NFL post season w/ McNabb, and he finally has a QB? 

Mahomes was a very good athlete, dripping w/ raw talent. You can tell he played baseball by how he cleanly he slides to avoid contact, and the accuracy of his side arm, short stop flips, or flings.  "The Gods reached down and turned your right arm into a thunderbolt. You got a Hall-of-Fame arm ..."

The Gods blessed Mahomes a second time, by giving him the opportunity to get coached by Andy Reid. Far from pissing it away, Mahomes listened.  Not only could he make every throw, he had an offensive coach who could design plays, and get players, that were damn near impossible to defend.

I always liked the Chiefs. Lamar Hunt was a sportsman, so he started his own football league. Hank Stram and "65 toss power trap."

Bonus; they draft a lot of Longhorns.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I’ve had no problem with the Taylor Swift coverage this season, but as much as the NFL is a whore for eyeballs on the TVs, I’m surprised at how little they showed her during the game.

Nothing but love for Tay Tay. She has talent, and has earned, and built an empire. She is not a Mickey Mouse girl who had a Disney support network to guarantee her success. She deserves to be happy.

Same for Travis Kelce. Incredible talent who put in the work to achieve success.

Taylor probably brought more eyeballs to the NFL than any person in the history of the league.

mic-drop-boom-anna-kendrick-yzgc63x5d9tj

• Hook 'Em 2

This whole debate over the choice of the coin flip is showing how statistics breaks brains.  Now, you will always need to account for things like key personnel availability, rest, and other stuff that is outside the realm of the math, but Shanahan got the math right. It didn’t work out, but he got the math right.

If I have three blue jelly beans and one red jelly bean in a sack, I’ll bet that the first bean I pull is blue.  There’s a chance— a decent one— that I’ll pull a red one. That doesn’t mean that betting on blue was the wrong bet. 

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Didn’t hear about this last night.

I remember it.  KC was on offense, and pat looked back and saw it happening.  But of course the cameras arent going to show these idiots.  After getting booked in to jail, they should be blacklisted from all pro and college sports.  Apparently whatever the penalty is, its not harsh enough.

2 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Nothing but love for Tay Tay. She has talent, and has earned, and built an empire. She is not a Mickey Mouse girl who had a Disney support network to guarantee her success. She deserves to be happy.

Let's not pretend she is some rags to riches story. She had the backing of her parents money to do what she wanted and money gets her access to stuff most don't in that industry or life in general. She might not have had the backing of Disney machine but she did have the backing of a lot money to push her along.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

lol wut. This would be a non-story if the Niners chose to kick in OT, but the fact their coaching staff clearly made the wrong choice and their players weren’t well-informed about the  OT Rules shows a lack of preparation for by the coaching staff, which is a huge story because it may have swung the outcome of the Super Bowl. 

It seems like there is a healthy and reasonable debate about whether it was or was not the right choice, particularly given the sudden death third possession. Math/simulations discussed at the below link. But logic certainly dictates that you don’t want to give Mahomes the ball with the advantage of knowing what he needs to do. 

https://x.com/SethWalder/status/1757034362380362013?s=20

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The coaching staff clearly made the wrong choice because they lost. Not sure I agree with your police work there, Lou. Shanahan understands the rules and explained the preparation and rationale in the decision. According the Mahomes, Hardeman didn’t know the rules and yet somehow managed to play offense and catch the game winning pass. Too many simpletons adopt the rating seeking rants of “media” personalities.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I really want him to be successful but Shanahan really is becoming the king of blowing super bowls 

Don't care about Shanahan. Just glad SF got their ass beat.

side note/This KC Super Bowl OT win brought back, to my old ass, memory of the Dallas Texans/Oilers AFL Championship in 1962. Texans win, although the great Abner Haynes muffs the coin toss call for first OT. Great game. Will have to find it and watch  again.

First Dallas pro football championship. Good times for 14 yr old kid.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

And it’s funny to read all the responses about how the Swift stuff isn’t a big deal. Enjoy all of next season when she’s shoved down your throat even more and the league puts the Chiefs in the SB again. And you’re insane if you think the league isn’t going to try and cash in on more female viewers. Look for more culture war stuff, and more rule changes to make the game even more less violent and aggressive, and more feminine. 

IMG_2328.gif.3f6b506ed47413832d60dbd198f27b17.gif

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Let's not pretend she is some rags to riches story. She had the backing of her parents money to do what she wanted and money gets her access to stuff most don't in that industry or life in general. She might not have had the backing of Disney machine but she did have the backing of a lot money to push her along.

That post was hilarious. Her millionaire parents had her in meetings with Nashville record labels and taking guitar lessons from professional musicians before she was even 13 years old. Doesn’t mean she’s not talented but still.

Edited by Helobious
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Horndog said:

The rule for playoff games was changed a couple of years ago, ironically after the Chiefs beat the Bills in OT because they got the first possession and scored a TD to win. 

I read late last night, I can’t remember where, an article where many of the 49ers were saying they were not aware of the overtime rules change in a playoff.   The article also quoted chiefs who said they had gamed out how they would handle overtime.    While I don’t know whether that’s accurate or not, if true, that is an interesting observation on the respective teams’ coaching. 

nm. MDMost said this a few posts later

Edited by Gatorubet

3 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I read late last night, I can’t remember where, an article where many of the 49ers were saying they were not aware of the overtime rules change in a playoff.   The article also quoted chiefs who said they had gamed out how they would handle overtime.    While I don’t know whether that’s accurate or not, if true, that is an interesting observation on the respective teams’ coaching. 

ESPN 49ers players say they didn't know Super Bowl overtime rules

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39511676/49ers-players-say-know-super-bowl-rules

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That post was hilarious. Her millionaire parents had her in meetings with Nashville record labels and taking guitar lessons from professional musicians before she was even 13 years old. Doesn’t mean she’s not talented but still.

Now do Mahomes and McCaffrey.  

• Haha 1

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

If both teams trade FGs with their first OT drive does it become sudden death? So coin flip loser gets 2 tries to stop them?

If the Niners could’ve held the Chiefs to a FG, the next score wins. So, Niners get the ball and drive down for an another FG and they win 25-22. Then people are calling Shanahan smart for planning it out that way with his analytics team.

There is a kind of admirable nobility when the board tells you how completely stupid and pathetic your posts are on this subject, and yet you have the intestinal fortitude to double and triple down.
Kudos my friend
……. but I like your concept that every living-through-their-kids sports obsessed parent who gets professional training for their kid means that the kid will be a superstar in that sport.   So that makes sense.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

There is a kind of admirable nobility when the board tells you how completely stupid and pathetic your posts are on this subject, and yet you have the intestinal fortitude to double and triple down.
Kudos my friend
……. but I like your concept that every living-through-their-kids sports obsessed parent who gets professional training for their kid means that the kid will be a superstar in that sport.   So that makes sense.

Also that having a dad who is a fucking Merryl Lynch stock broker is some kind of golden ticket. Just hysterical levels of stupidity across all topics. 

image.png.1ce0b600b594fd21d4898241c270e560.png
Remember this? I don't recall many people getting too worked up. 

I was at those games. She was booed whenever they put her on the cam. And when Romo took her to Cabo on the bye the criticism was huge.

Aikman got no flak for banging g Lorrie Morgan or Janine Turner or his other hot girlfriends.

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

The Kelce/Swift madness didn't bother me, but the reality is that it is highly unlikely they are still together Week 1 of next season.  Given Taylor's dating history and the realities of celebrity romance.  

So for anyone that it bothers, rest easy.

She goes on too many dates,
but she can't make them stay. 
At least that's what people say. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

This was my first inclination but I see the merit of playing for the first sudden death possession if the first two drives are even. The kicking team risks losing overtime having only one possession while the receiving team gets two. But last night shows the risk, giving Mahomes and Reid a full drive with four down playcalling. I think it’ll be pretty rare for two possessions to take 15 full minutes so just a bizarre overtime.

Shanahan knew his d was gassed from being on the field the last seven minutes. The smart play for Reid would have been take the ball first and bring em up.

1 minute ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Also that having a dad who is a fucking Merryl Lynch stock broker is some kind of golden ticket. Just hysterical levels of stupidity across all topics. 

Her parents were millionaires and allowed her do pursue her passion with zero risk at an early age. Got her into meetings with labels. You seriously don't think money plays a part in life in general? She wasn't some starving artist playing shitty venues in shitty cities, living hand to mouth and risking it all to pursue her dream. She was manufactured at an early age to have a huge safety to not fail. And even if she didn't pan out, would have just pursued her next venture.

This is the same concept as millionaires starting a business venture vs someone in low/middle class. Entirely different risk levels involved and the millionaires have the money to move it along most don't.

I don't care about her music one way or the other. She's just a generic pop act with little substance and a huge following. Good for her. But to pretend she's some big underdog story? Lol./

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

If the Niners could’ve held the Chiefs to a FG, the next score wins. So, Niners get the ball and drive down for an another FG and they win 25-22. Then people are calling Shanahan smart for planning it out that way with his analytics team.

That far outweighs the knowing what you need advantage for KC in my mind.  Shanahan made the right choice.

4 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Shanahan knew his d was gassed from being on the field the last seven minutes. The smart play for Reid would have been take the ball first and bring em up.

SF won the toss and elected to receive. Reid didn’t have the choice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

When you are already a star by 16, it's not like she had some privileged life as a trust fund baby where she woke up at 11AM and ate bon bons until her daddy could get her another audition. I am not a swiftie, but game recognize game.  

27 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Soccer doesn’t have set “possessions” like American football or downs. Any advantage to first possession works itself out over 15 minutes. Any system in American Football that includes a clock and possessions in overtime provides a coin flip advantage to one side or the other. Straight to conversion shootouts is the only system that doesn’t have any advantage. It would also be fewer plays almost every time since player safety is an issue.

And be way less entertaining, eliminate almost all strategy, render an entire phase of the game moot, & completely suck ass. I'm not worried about advantages for or against a certain team, win it in regulation if you're worried about the coin flip. I'm fine with the rules the way they are & actually had no problem with the sudden death format. Straight to 2pt. conversions sounds like ending a basketball game after 4 quarters and having a 3pt. shootout to see who wins.

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Her parents were millionaires and allowed her do pursue her passion with zero risk at an early age. Got her into meetings with labels. You seriously don't think money plays a part in life in general? She wasn't some starving artist playing shitty venues in shitty cities, living hand to mouth and risking it all to pursue her dream. She was manufactured at an early age to have a huge safety to not fail. And even if she didn't pan out, would have just pursued her next venture.

This is the same concept as millionaires starting a business venture vs someone in low/middle class. Entirely different risk levels involved and the millionaires have the money to move it along most don't.

I don't care about her music one way or the other. She's just a generic pop act with little substance and a huge following. Good for her. But to pretend she's some big underdog story? Lol./

1. You have any receipts on the “millionaire” claim (as if that is even remotely determinative)? 

2. You are arguing against yourself. Zero (0) people claimed Swift is a rags to riches story. But the total number of affluent white girls who have swung and missed in the music industry would exceed the grand weight total of the nasty ass women who allow you into their bed.

I realize being a pair of fucking imbeciles is a long-running shtick for you and Helobious, but you could try a little harder.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck You 1

How in the world am I supposed to explain to my elementary school daughter that two people who aren’t married kissed on TV. Do you fucking people realize what this says about the vision Jesus had for America when he died for U.S.?  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, hook me said:

And be way less entertaining, eliminate almost all strategy, render an entire phase of the game moot, & completely suck ass. I'm not worried about advantages for or against a certain team, win it in regulation if you're worried about the coin flip. I'm fine with the rules the way they are & actually had no problem with the sudden death format. Straight to 2pt. conversions sounds like ending a basketball game after 4 quarters and having a 3pt. shootout to see who wins.

Well they’ve changed it a few times, including just last year for playoffs where even a TD on the first drive doesn’t equal a win, so “just win in regulation to avoid advantage / disadvantage of OT coinflips” isn’t the prevailing opinion. 

17 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

1. You have any receipts on the “millionaire” claim (as if that is even remotely determinative)? 

I don't know if they were millionaires, but this is the house she grew up in on a Christmas tree farm that her father had purchased from one of his clients.

Grandview_Blvd_76_Wyomissing_PA.thumb.JPG.0ffbd6b54ba300f35ba5ff5fbb54a2da.JPG

Edited by Hornius Emeritus