Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

8 minutes ago, Humble Beast said:

15% cuts to moderation staff, not the numbers thrown around here.  

Christ almighty, if you want to believe a Elon fluffer, be our guest.  

In other words, he needs to prove it wasn't the numbers thrown about elsewhere.  Because if you are willing to believe the word of one person who would willingly blow Elon on livestream if called upon vs the countless former Twitter employees who are publicly stating who/what/where/when/why, then maybe you need some self introspection.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

He is fired at end of day. Those agencies start to pause/shift because everything feels uncertain and they don’t know who they should be coordinating with. Then, Elon gets dozens of advertiser CMOs on a call yesterday. It's amazing oppty.

And basically Elon is asked: What's the plan? And it's clear he hasn't either really prepped for this/doesn’t really want to tell anybody what the plan is/has no plan. No kidding: There were CMOs who literally paused/shifted budgets DURING the call because of the uncertainty.

From @Francisco 2.0s above

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

We never got this with MySpace, GeoCities, AOL, etc., those all played out over a long time.  We get to watch this happen in near real-time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

I don’t believe that 

i believe Elon would do some stupid shot like that, I can’t believe anyone else would go along with it 

Gagree.  "hannah" and "shaver264" look like bullshit.  It's a business.  They'd  be h.hotzenberg and m.shaver or something like that.

23 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

So, about that meeting in NYC with ad execs yesterday:

Elon may not understand but a CMO takes their job seriously, and do not want to be called out by their CEO on why they're spending money and somewhat tying their reputation on the whims of a billionaire. A CEO would always back a conservative approach to pause advertising and reevaluate. And Elon hasn't done anything today that inspires confidence.

Is this would also be why you don't fire all of the senior execs on Day 1. They're the ones that understand their customers. And the customers are not the twitter users but the advertisers. As Elon has said, those are the people providing 90% of the revenue. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Elon may not understand but a CMO takes their job seriously, and do not want to be called out by their CEO on why they're spending money and somewhat tying their reputation on the whims of a billionaire. A CEO would always back a conservative approach to pause advertising and reevaluate. And Elon hasn't done anything today that inspires confidence.

Is this would also be why you don't fire all of the senior execs on Day 1. They're the ones that understand their customers. And the customers are not the twitter users but the advertisers. As Elon has said, those are the people providing 90% of the revenue. 

They just need to get a couple more blue checks to get this thing REALLY popping off!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I don’t believe that

I don't either, but in one way it is actually better than how Elon handled it.

Supposedly they sent out 'you still have a job' emails to twitter emails, but 'you are let go' emails to personal addresses. That is petty. If I am being laid off, that moment of being let go is my last official task for the company, so the corporate email is still appropriate. Ideally of course you would get told in person then don't necessarily need email.

At least in this fake (main hint: it says 'THIS IS REAL'), he got the news as an employee.

41 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Christ almighty, if you want to believe a Elon fluffer, be our guest.  

In other words, he needs to prove it wasn't the numbers thrown about elsewhere.  Because if you are willing to believe the word of one person who would willingly blow Elon on livestream if called upon vs the countless former Twitter employees who are publicly stating who/what/where/when/why, then maybe you need some self introspection.

I don’t know if he’s an Elon fluffer, but he’s far from some right wing stooge. 

50 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

So, about that meeting in NYC with ad execs yesterday:

Kara Swisher is totally not a partisan actor. 

She ran cover and claimed she talked to a guy for an hour that literally needs to read words told to him. 

She was proven to be absolutely full of shit less than a week ago after trashing someone else that was just being honest. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

55 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We never got this with MySpace, GeoCities, AOL, etc., those all played out over a long time.  We get to watch this happen in near real-time.

This is some crazy shit to watch.

The slashing of so many positions  particularly the software engineers, ops and security employees while planning on gutting the infrastructure budget by a billion is fucking insane. Twitter is running on legacy infrastructure and code and you just fired a lot of the people that know how the sausage is made.

So the remaining employees will have to do more with less, they will bail and anyone in the industry knows that shit will start to break pretty fast.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

$8.00 a month- let’s just round that to $100 a year. 
Twitter currently brings in 4B a year on advertising revenue. 
If Ad Revenue went to $0 (it won’t) to replace that they’d need 40M users to sign up for their blue check mark/subscription service. 

They currently have 450M subscribers (who knows how many of those are real vs bots) so they have to convert something like 9% of their free subscriber base to paying subscribers. 

I’m betting against it, but if their ad revenue is halved then you start talking about only needing to sign up what- 1 in 22 or 1 in 23 current users? 

Seems pretty unlikely to work but wtf do I know compared to Elon. 

if I’m making some sort of assumption error or don’t understand that “that’s not how this works” let me know. This is totally uninformed back of the envelope math/thought experiment. 

53 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

$8.00 a month- let’s just round that to $100 a year. 
Twitter currently brings in 4B a year on advertising revenue. 
If Ad Revenue went to $0 (it won’t) to replace that they’d need 40M users to sign up for their blue check mark/subscription service. 

They currently have 450M subscribers (who knows how many of those are real vs bots) so they have to convert something like 9% of their free subscriber base to paying subscribers. 

I’m betting against it, but if their ad revenue is halved then you start talking about only needing to sign up what- 1 in 22 or 1 in 23 current users? 

Seems pretty unlikely to work but wtf do I know compared to Elon. 

if I’m making some sort of assumption error or don’t understand that “that’s not how this works” let me know. This is totally uninformed back of the envelope math/thought experiment. 

If you compare that to twitter's revenues last year it's a drop in the bucket. Even more so now that he has added a billion dollars in annual debt service to worry about.

Editor of The Verge

Twitter, the company, makes very little interesting technology; the tech stack is not the valuable asset. The asset is the user base …
The problem when the asset is people is that people are intensely complicated, & trying to regulate how people behave is…a miserable experience, especially when that authority is vested in a single powerful individual…You can write as many polite letters to advertisers as you want, but you cannot reasonably expect to collect any meaningful advertising revenue if you do not promise those advertisers ‘brand safety.’

That means you have to ban racism, sexism, transphobia, & all kinds of other speech that…reveals people to be total assholes … if you want to make money.”

Actually, there’s a step before trying to get the ad money: it turns out that most people do not want to participate in horrible unmoderated internet spaces full of shitty racists and not-all-men fedora bullies.

And it gets worse the second you leave the United States! Germany is a huge market for Tesla. Are you going to flout Germany’s speech laws? I would bet not.

Are you ready to experience the pressure Twitter faces in the Middle East to block and restrict accounts?…Are you excited for the Chinese government to find ways to threaten Tesla’s huge business in that country over content that appears on Twitter? Because it’s going to happen.

The essential truth of every social network is that the product is content moderation, and everyone hates the people who decide how content moderation works. Content moderation is what Twitter makes — it is the thing that defines the user experience.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

There’s a throwaway line in the MST3k classic ‘Time Chasers’, showing the ‘future’ as a dirty studio backlot and Crow quips ‘Ben and Jerry’s was the key to the Armageddon’ that just slays me…the absurdity of it as I imagine how that coulda played out.

That Stephen fucking King’s pissy tweet may have legit influenced millions of revenue for a hugely influential company convinces me that humanity could very well destroy itself somehow via Ben and Jerry’s.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

That just shows how shitty Twitter has been run for years. I guess all those rumors of one of the worst run tech companies were true.

It probably has more to do with the difficulty and cost of migrating from legacy infrastructure. This isn't unique to Twitter.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Nah, I'm sure she will go back to y'alls home which I'm sorry to say is for the best. But it was a fun night for sure.

In my twenties my attitude was, who cares she is going to use the money she made of you to buy me some weed, booze and take out Denny's then give me some ass.

If anyone here is dating a 21 year old stripper, I salute you!

Now if you are tipping a 45 year old stripper married to a Surly poster, the joke is on you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, sidis said:

i've already done all the work for you...there is an eponymous thread on the second page of IPIHB that was super wonderful until kyrie meandered in there and ruined the whole thing.

Believe me, I typed in her name on Google and added "nude" and then posted the Cuban GIF.

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Interesting strategy if Elon starts to openly attack companies that are pausing advertising on Twitter. Can you really pressure advertisers to advertise more? 

Who knows if that’s real but yesterday twitter hr said that those being fired are receiving an email to their personal email as their corp access would be cut. This guy is claiming to have received this email to his Twitter corp email account. And that his corp email would be active until later today. Makes it seem fake to me.

unfortunately there is no good way to fire large numbers of people. And if any Twitter employee is shocked they are losing their job, wtf. The writing has been on the wall for months.

It isn't real. Somebody on the discussion below said that guy is a comedian.

6 hours ago, Humble Beast said:

That’s an interesting reaction to it being proven that you’re either dishonest, or absurdly easy to manipulate. 

This is part of the information war. It’s not this clean, but one side is upset that they potentially lost control of a vital information/propaganda dissemination vehicle. The other side thinks they’ll get a fairer shake. I tend to think Elon will piss both sides off. 

Eat shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, F250 said:

It probably has more to do with the difficulty and cost of migrating from legacy infrastructure. This isn't unique to Twitter.

There's a cost but you can design and plan around it. I see so many companies try to do this massive lift and shift and that doesn't work.

You have to start by building all your new offerings on more modern infra, but that becomes a battle with the ops teams who see that as potentially taking their jobs.  It takes strong leadership to accomplish it and most companies don't have it so they never move

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?