Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

18 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Twitter (X) is going to take my username @sports, any ideas how I might keep it? I’ve been a user for 16 years, since their first day of public signups. I login every day and use twitter for hours every day. I tweet more than is shown on my account (I delete tweets often).

Sounds like they are doing him a favor tbh

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Looks like Twitter Blue members that hit certain view thresholds are now getting paid. Money is hitting their accounts. 

I'll never knock someone trying to make a buck, but the app will be almost unreadable soon with all the engagement farming that will be ramped up due to payouts. 

Yep.  And y'all should definitely check out my Twitter account, which will now feature nothing but video clips of hot naked women.  Because I know what the people want.

19 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Looks like Twitter Blue members that hit certain view thresholds are now getting paid. Money is hitting their accounts. 

I'll never knock someone trying to make a buck, but the app will be almost unreadable soon with all the engagement farming that will be ramped up due to payouts. 

does it look like that, or is that just something Musk has said?

Being kinda snarky but I'm curious - the first round was just random payments to Musk's favorite posters and sexual predators. Have run of the mill blue users who have hit certain benchmarks gotten paid?

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

does it look like that, or is that just something Musk has said?

Being kinda snarky but I'm curious - the first round was just random payments to Musk's favorite posters and sexual predators. Have run of the mill blue users who have hit certain benchmarks gotten paid?

Yes. Some Houston Rockets fan accounts excitedly tweeted yesterday they received payouts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

bringing back the client council? amazing.

this is literally what Linda Y does though and what she did a lot of at NBC

FT: X chief Linda Yaccarino revives ‘client council’ in effort to woo advertisers

Before Musk’s takeover, X had a client council that would meet several times a year. The meetings were attended by several dozen to one hundred marketing executives from big brands, as well as heads of buying at advertising agencies, according to people familiar with the matter.

When Musk bought the platform for $44bn in October, the council met one last time in early November. Advertisers there raised concerns about brand safety after the billionaire made the decision to loosen content moderation policies and cut the jobs of many moderators and sales workers.

One person who attended said Musk seemed unhappy with the questions, and shortly after, X ceased to communicate with the longstanding group.

text:

Linda Yaccarino, the chief executive of X, formerly known as Twitter, is reinstating its “client council”, an invitation-only group of marketing and advertising agency executives, in the latest bid to rebuild brand relationships that were shattered after Elon Musk’s takeover of the platform.

Yaccarino will announce the decision to bring back the client council this autumn on Thursday during her first live television interview since taking the CEO position several months ago, the company said. The platform has not determined who will be in the revived network.

Silicon Valley social media platforms such as Meta have long created clubby forums to help bring in advertising dollars, typically giving top spenders an inside look at up-and-coming products, seeking their advice on thorny issues and making reassurances around “brand safety” — an industry term referring to the risk that ads appear alongside problematic content and misinformation.

Before Musk’s takeover, X had a client council that would meet several times a year. The meetings were attended by several dozen to one hundred marketing executives from big brands, as well as heads of buying at advertising agencies, according to people familiar with the matter.

When Musk bought the platform for $44bn in October, the council met one last time in early November. Advertisers there raised concerns about brand safety after the billionaire made the decision to loosen content moderation policies and cut the jobs of many moderators and sales workers.

One person who attended said Musk seemed unhappy with the questions, and shortly after, X ceased to communicate with the longstanding group.

Its revival comes as Yaccarino, the former advertising head at NBCUniversal, continues a charm offensive to bring back advertisers, many of whom have left the platform over Musk’s unorthodox leadership style and moderation changes. The company’s advertising revenue has fallen by about 50 per cent since Musk took over and the platform still has negative cash flow, according to Musk.

So far Yaccarino, who has a reputation for deep relationships with advertisers, has had some success, enticing several big companies such as Mondelez to return and launching new brand safety controls.

She also met talent agents at Creative Artists Agency and United Talent Agency as well as A-list celebrities in Hollywood last month, as the platform tries to win high-profile entertainers to boost engagement.

However, many advertising and media industry executives are sceptical that she can present her vision without interference from Musk, which could undermine her reputation.

Some noted her absence from the sudden rebranding announcement to users from Musk last month, when he said Twitter would lose its well-known bird logo and become “X”.

She later wrote on the platform: “X is the future state of unlimited interactivity — centered in audio, video, messaging, payments/banking — creating a global marketplace for ideas, goods, services, and opportunities.”

Edited by NoName

this is literally the only thing you need to know about Tesla - pulled from reddit:

Its been 1,085 days and counting since a TSLA insider bought TSLA stonk on the open market

and from another guy:

During those 1,085 days Tesla has "released or introduced"

• Optimus
  • Semi
  • Cybertruck

With these amazing and promising projects why wouldn't the insiders be buying into the mission?

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

However, many advertising and media industry executives are sceptical that she can present her vision without interference from Musk, which could undermine her reputation.

She’s trying to do this, meanwhile he is following openly racist Neo-Nazi types. Almost like he’s trying to deliberately crater her efforts.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

this is literally the only thing you need to know about Tesla - pulled from reddit:
Its been 1,085 days and counting since a TSLA insider bought TSLA stonk on the open market
and from another guy:
During those 1,085 days Tesla has "released or introduced"
  • Optimus
  • Semi
  • Cybertruck
With these amazing and promising projects why wouldn't the insiders be buying into the mission?

I’d guess this is generally unadvisable for anyone. An insider already has a portfolio way overweighted towards their employer because of stock options/grants. Pretty risky bet even if you have confidence in the direction

This is some good stuff

Linda Yaccarino was pressed about the chaos on Elon Musk’s X. Her answers were detached from reality

But perhaps an even more preposterous claim from Yaccarino came when Eisen pressed her on brand safety and hate speech appearing on the platform since Musk’s takeover. Yaccarino, who was once considered a serious person in the industry, said with a straight face that “99.9%” of the content posted on the platform is “healthy.”

“By all objective metrics,” Yaccarino told Eisen, “X is a much healthier and safer platform than it was a year ago.”

Uh, what?!?!

It’s unclear precisely what data Yaccarino was referring to. But a slew of studies from noted researchers over the last year have shown exactly the opposite of what she confidently claimed. Organizations such as the Anti-Defamation League, Center for Countering Digital Hate, Institute for Strategic Dialogue, and other researchers have all released their own respective reports conveying a similar message: hate speech is up, not down, under Musk.

I think the best one is this

Even two of the specific examples Yaccarino pointed to supposedly showcasing a positive experience for advertisers were quickly shot down Thursday. Yaccarino celebrated Coca-Cola and State Farm marketing their products on Twitter/X, as she underscored the platform’s commitment to brand safety. But the progressive watchdog Media Matters ... [tweeted] ...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t see a fight really occurring but if it is it will be on par with evel knivel on snake river or Geraldo opening capones vault. 

Elon’s gonna square up and then once he takes a few licks he’s gonna signal for the parachute guy to land through the ceiling and interrupt the fight.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Elon’s gonna square up and then once he takes a few licks he’s gonna signal for the parachute guy to land through the ceiling and interrupt the fight.

Where does cosplaying as an MMA fighter land on the "official or unofficial piece of shit" spectrum?

Outside of the McMahons, how many other CEOs are doing shit like this? People still investing money in this show?

10 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Epic should be banned from usage.

Elon and Zuck probably want the fight to be in a prominent cultural place most of us don't want to see destroyed. That will prevent quite a few people from rooting for the asteroid. 

I'm team asteroid anyway. #wecanrebuildit

• Haha 1

Has this thread discussed Musk's incredible sleight of hand move to free $39 billion dollars in Tesla funds, and counting?

I believe the entire Twitter purchase, and fiasco of making an offer and trying to then back out, was a calculated plan to come up with a way of cashing out of Tesla before it crashes and burns. He couldn't just sell a bunch of stock because that would spook investors. He had to come up with some scheme that would allow him to exit with $30B plus without anyone calling him out.

I'm not sure why he picked Twitter to launder his money, but I bet he's already figured out a way to get his money out of that too.

Overall, given that we all own index funds with tons of Tesla stock, we are all going to pay for his long-term con job on the world.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I believe the entire Twitter purchase, and fiasco of making an offer and trying to then back out, was a calculated plan to come up with a way of cashing out of Tesla before it crashes and burns

Does that really help? Anything he puts into Twitter is gone

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Twitter seems to be having some embedding issues this morning.

What's the situation with the blue star dorks on that site? Has the quantity noticeably dropped or do they still swarm every thread? If you follow someone do you see their xeets? Can you scan the @s in a thread without a problem?

4 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Does that really help? Anything he puts into Twitter is gone

That’s the public perception, but I have a feeling reality will be far different. He may not get it all out of Twitter but I bet he gets most out. He will just look at the losses as money laundering cost of doing business 

• Hook 'Em 1

Random worthless thought. If X is successful in spite of all probability, likelihood and gravitational force, and then goes public, they can't have the ticker signal X because that belongs to US Steel on the NYSE and NASDAQ requires at least 2 letters. Sorry Xelon.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Random worthless thought. If X is successful in spite of all probability, likelihood and gravitational force, and then goes public, they can't have the ticker signal X because that belongs to US Steel on the NYSE and NASDAQ requires at least 2 letters. Sorry Xelon.

US steel has a market cap of $5 billion - Elon wants to buy them for the vanity symbol.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

US steel has a market cap of $5 billion - Elon wants to buy them for the vanity symbol.

evidently, that wasn't him that offered to buy them

United States Steel Corp (X.N) on Sunday launched a formal review of its strategic options, after rebuffing a takeover offer from rival steelmaker Cleveland-Cliffs Inc (CLF.N).

The unsolicited cash-and-stock offer from Ohio-based Cliffs valued U.S. Steel at about $7.3 billion, representing a 43% premium to its closing price on Friday.

Cliffs went public with its offer after U.S. Steel rejected the bid as being "unreasonable" and instead announced a formal review process, saying the company received multiple bids for parts or all of its business.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/us-steel-explore-strategic-alternatives-company-2023-08-13/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Chopper said:

the ticker symbol associated with company US Steel will be affiliated with X Corp. accordingly, your ticker symbol will be changed to a new ticker symbol. 

however, we appreciate your loyalty and want to minimize any inconvenience this may cause. at this time we will be changing your ticker symbol to twtr. 

best regards,

x

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

That oughta lure even more advertisers onboard:

https://www.axios.com/2023/08/15/x-twitter-shuts-100m-promoted-accounts-ad-biz?utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

X, the company formerly known as Twitter, will no longer allow advertisers to promote their accounts within the platform's timeline to attract new followers, according to an email to advertising clients obtained by Axios. 

Why it matters: Promoted accounts — or "Follower Objective" ads — generate more than $100 million annually in global revenue for X, a source familiar with the company's business told Axios. 

Promoted accounts are one of the oldest ad formats offered on the platform. The ads appear as text-based posts within the X timeline and include a "Follow" button for the account promoting them. 

But follower ads, while easy to sell, are static. They don't leverage any of the multi-media tools, like video, that X is trying to lean into.

Details: In a note to clients on Aug. 10, an X representative said the company planned to start "depreciating the Followers objective" ad unit beginning as soon as last Friday. 

The representative wrote that the change "comes as part of a larger effort to optimize the X experience by prioritizing content formats."

They further noted that given client's strategies are reliant on the followers objective ad unit, X — in the weeks ahead — "will work to identify alternative routes to meet these goals."

As of Monday, the Followers Objective was still listed as an advertising opportunity on X's business website. 

What they're saying: Asked for comment, X acknowledged that the company was depreciating the ad unit.

It said it's made recommendations to clients to try other types of ad units, including engagement campaigns, which put an advertiser's name and account at the forefront of an ad, and reach campaigns that allow advertisers to pay for additional ad impressions.

Be smart: Many advertisers rely on promoted follower ads to grow their businesses. Follower objective ad units allowed marketers to target potential audiences with more precision than they could through organic tweets.

Between the lines: The source familiar with X's business told Axios the change was driven by X's product group, not the revenue side of the company. 

The company's client team was given little time to communicate the change to clients ahead of time, the source said.

The big picture: The hurried product change is the latest in a larger effort by X to prioritize new content formats and products, regardless of their short-term business impact. 

Follower objective ads represent a small portion of X's overall ad revenue, but the company is cutting them at a time when reports suggest it's lost a significant amount of ad revenue.

X is still not profitable, and has reportedly failed to pay vendors and bills as its revenue challenges persist.

• Haha 2

• blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?