Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

I'll repeat that I didn't know Rufus Sewell had it in him.  I watched Kaleidoscope and he was OK in that, but to me he's always the uber-serious bad guy from Dark City, Knight's Tale, or Man in High Castle.  I just figured that was his range before this.

Whoa that's him

On 4/2/2024 at 12:46 PM, ajax said:

Rebel Moon

Really, really terrible. WTF happened to Z. Snyder?

On 4/29/2024 at 5:09 PM, nineliveslost said:

Rebel Moon 2 is just as bad

Anything DC related has been shit. Fight me.

A Man in Full

Tom Wolfe novel of supreme excellence made into a series (those of you old enough to read books in the late ‘90’s)

Episode 1 spot on

At least according to my questionable memory

• Like 1

Fair warning. Do not waste any time watching A Man in Full.  Based on a pretty good book by Thomas Wolfe but this is complete garbage. Jeff Daniels is the lead and is an absolute cartoon. 

Well hell. Didn’t see this before my post

Thought Daniels nailed the character from the book, who was intentionally cartoonish. That was the whole point of the story.

We liked E1

We’ll see!
  • Like 1

Unfrosted was enjoyable to me, but then I fall into the targeted age range.  Otherwise too many gags would leave someone younger scratching their head.   But it was cool how they were able to meld time periods into a scene, like the mascots rioting.    It didn't happen a lot, but now and then they got one in.   

The Tom Brady Roast had its moments.  This was one that absolutely was hilarious.

Also, this Tony Hinchcliffe piece about Sam Jay....holy shit.

I saw that Jimmy Carr was in the audience.  They really should have had him come on because he is absolutely brutal. Would have LOVED to see his take on Tom Brady.

On 5/4/2024 at 8:20 PM, dcbc said:

Haven't seen anyone mention John Mulaney's: Everybody's in L.A.

"Look, you either come do bad things with me and Herb Albert, or you don't come at all!"

-Lou Addler

Edit to say that this is, without a doubt, the best talk show of all time.

Watching this now.  It is really funny.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m intrigued by the first episode of Bodkin. It’s got all the right set up for a classic folk horror story, but they have it listed as a comedy. Here’s hoping they can pull off the rare comedy/horror hybrid of something like An American Werewolf in London. 

On 5/12/2024 at 12:13 PM, Texzilla588 said:

Nikki crushed it. Her joke about crypto and Gronk killed, and her lottery ticket joke about Brady was great. Shes figured out roasts.

Not all comedians can do roasts. Ross has lost it; he used to be so funny.

She was by far the best one.  I don't understand why Kraft was off limits, though.  Was weird when Jeff Ross did the massage joke and that is what Tom took offense to out of everything said.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

Tom now saying he wished he hadn’t done it. He had no issue with attacks on him but didn’t like jokes about his kids, Giselle, or Kraft.

I was shocked that Brady would even agree to it.  Guy loves him some Tom Brady Perfect.  Maybe should have waited about 10 years, when the kids realize why Dad/Goat lost model to ju-jitsu instructor.

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Tom loves the money and perks that come with fame but not the attention it draws. Sorry Tommy boy, it doesn’t work that way. 

There's a pretty big difference between some tabloid rag speculating about who Giselle is banging and having to sit there and fake smile 10 feet away from people insulting you for destroying your family. 

Obviously on him though for not fully understanding how ruthless comedians trying to make a name for themselves can be.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

There's a pretty big difference between some tabloid rag speculating about who Giselle is banging and having to sit there and fake smile 10 feet away from people insulting you for destroying your family. 

Obviously on him though for not fully understanding how ruthless comedians trying to make a name for themselves can be.

every roast is like that...all he had to do is watch some previous ones.  maybe he thought they would all be Seinfeld or Cosby because he's Tom Brady.

17 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I was shocked that Brady would even agree to it.  Guy loves him some Tom Brady Perfect.  Maybe should have waited about 10 years, when the kids realize why Dad/Goat lost model to ju-jitsu instructor.

I heard the producers of the roast have asked many other stars to be the subject of a roast but been turned down by everyone, except for Brady.

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

Almost watched the Brady roast until I saw it was 3 hours long. Who the fuck would watch that. 

It was scheduled for 90 minutes but netflix allowed it to go longer because it was going well. Crew and writers got paid more as a result.

59 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I heard the producers of the roast have asked many other stars to be the subject of a roast but been turned down by everyone, except for Brady.

Those people were smart.  The internet is now forever so his kids get to be reminded of his divorce over and over again.

I’m intrigued by the first episode of Bodkin. It’s got all the right set up for a classic folk horror story, but they have it listed as a comedy. Here’s hoping they can pull off the rare comedy/horror hybrid of something like An American Werewolf in London. 

Finished Bodkin. Not really horror. But def a good watch imo.

It was scheduled for 90 minutes but netflix allowed it to go longer because it was going well. Crew and writers got paid more as a result.

Netflix has started to figure out the power of live event streaming. I guess David Chang’s mostly bad live cooking show was the first; it’s live across the globe. Then the roast. They got two Christmas Day nfl games in 24.

The roast would have been better being tighter at 90 minutes, with fewer unknown comics, Kraft, Bill, and others on tape, and unrelated cameos. Will Farrell as Ron Burgundy just sucked balls. The walk alongs in the audience sucked too. Jeff Ross is now irrelevant.

On 5/13/2024 at 10:01 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I will say I do NOT recommend Baby Reindeer. Unless you’re into male rape and stalking and just general awkwardness. Good god. 

Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

On 5/16/2024 at 9:56 AM, Helobious said:

Ashley Madison docuseries is pretty nuts

On 5/16/2024 at 8:10 PM, Buzzrock said:

What a bunch of morons. “I never thought that signing up for AM would be the worst mistake of my life.” Really? Never?

Half of Surly watching that

Sweating James Mcavoy GIF

• Haha 1