Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

Netflix has started to figure out the power of live event streaming. I guess David Chang’s mostly bad live cooking show was the first; it’s live across the globe. Then the roast. They got two Christmas Day nfl games in 24.

The roast would have been better being tighter at 90 minutes, with fewer unknown comics, Kraft, Bill, and others on tape, and unrelated cameos. Will Farrell as Ron Burgundy just sucked balls. The walk alongs in the audience sucked too. Jeff Ross is now irrelevant.

David Chang’s cooking show is great.

Chang’s show is a mess. It could be really good but I’d like a better slate of guests, that have at least a bit of culinary knowledge. Some of these folks are just plain ignorant of basic food knowledge. Half the dishes aren’t shown or discussed much. It’s live so that’s good and bad.

On 5/16/2024 at 9:56 AM, Helobious said:

Ashley Madison docuseries is pretty nuts

Watched the whole thing yesterday.  Better than I thought.  I thought it was common knowledge that the site was like 99.9% dudes but I guess not.  

Some of those guys definitely had a "life changing" affair.....

On 4/17/2024 at 3:31 PM, Billy Pilgrim said:

I’ve been enjoying Ripley quite a bit. I like the movie better but this series is beautifully shot and acted.

Ditto. The casting of the movie was absolutely perfect. 

Not a recommendation but more a "WTF"

Why does Netflix think that J Lo is the right person to play some super smart data analyst that turns into a mecha fighting expert in some dystopian future?

Has to be the least convincing casting since Cruise played "Jack Reacher"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

Why does Netflix think that J Lo is the right person to play some super smart data analyst that turns into a mecha fighting expert in some dystopian future?

Might be JLo’s last role for a while.  Her shine is dimming rapidly. Her latest album and concert tour bombed,  Ben’s going to divorce her and she’s getting relentlessly portrayed as a total asshole on social media. 

Edited by TonyTexas

5 episodes into Bodkin. What’s with all the country music in this small Irish town? They were playing George Strait and Waylon at the wake and then Dov does karaoke of a Willie Nelson song at the pub. 

Odd show. It’s tonally all over the place, but I’m mostly enjoying it. 

On 5/22/2024 at 2:26 PM, BrazilHorn said:

MV5BNjE4MjQyNjUtZTNmYy00ZmNlLTk2ODUtN2Yz

Posted (edited)

Why are y’all ecstatic for an Eddie Murphy movie? What has he done in the past 5 years to generate confidence? He was truly shitty in his last SNL appearance to promote Dolomite. 

He’s a wooden fencepost of his former self. He’s either gotten a lobotomy or became a Scientologist after Delirious. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Why are y’all ecstatic for an Eddie Murphy movie? What has he done in the past 5 years to generate confidence? He was truly shitty in his last SNL appearance to promote Dolomite. 

He’s a wooden fencepost of his former self. He’s either gotten a lobotomy or became a Scientologist after Delirious. 

He sucked on SNL promoting the movie he was awesome in. Great argument. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t know if that’s when he hosted a few years ago, but that was probably the best SNL episode of the last 10 years.
  • Like 1

He went to Mindhead. Keep up.

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Goony goo goo.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Completes the trifecta along with Angelina Jolie as a fire fighter.

No mention of Tires yet? Gillis is just standing around being himself but it works for me. Nothing ground breaking but an easy watch and I laughed several times.

The Will character kills it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 8:43 AM, SubliminalHorn said:

Fuck those evangelical vloggers

This. Keep your damn moral compass to yourselves. "I married a Christian man to avoid those kinds of guys." Buahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Also, what a bunch of attention whores. How the fuck do you think going on Netflix 9 years after the fact is going to help your ongoing "committed" marriage?

SIAP but 3 Body Problem is pretty good. Based on a series of books by what is considered China's best Sci-Fi writer. It's...different.

Showrunners are the two guys who did GoT. I've recognized a few GoT actors in it.

• Like 2

SIAP but 3 Body Problem is pretty good. Based on a series of books by what is considered China's best Sci-Fi writer. It's...different.
Showrunners are the two guys who did GoT. I've recognized a few GoT actors in it.

It has its own thread, I think, if you want to catch up on that.

I was hunting for something to watch and realized I never watched that Dark Crystal series. It’s quite good even beyond the nostalgia factor. A shame they canceled it but with that cast and production it’s probably too expensive.

Not netflix but the second part of “The Jinx” just wrapped up on Max. It’s unreal the kind of leeches Bob Durst surrounded himself with. 

The real story is about the power of money and his ability to manipulate people to do his bidding. Debbie Charatan his “wife” is a criminal sociopath who has likely killed folks and helped him cover up the Susan Berman murder. And the cold ruthlessness of the Durst family from his childhood is a warning of why generational wealth is usually an evil in society.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1