Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 11/15/2023 at 9:35 PM, Buzzrock said:

I stuck with it and liked it but didn’t love it. I liked Dark better for a similar series. 

Dark was awesome, but you better not take a break between episodes or even seasons. Too much material to remember and extra studying on paradoxes, theorems, etc too.

Thumbs up for Bodies too. Shorter and easier than Dark.

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i watched Old Dads. i liked it. it was exactly what i thought it would be. easy 1:45 of bill burr and his comedy. also a million familiar faces in the movie. not bad.

Spoiler

fans of BB’s standup will appreciate the scene where his new boss is talking about how steve jobs didn’t invent anything while condescendingly eating a pear.

4 hours ago, Macanudo said:

It really is.   Sort of scary how easily people are manipulated.   But then again, people vote for Donald Trump so that shouldn't be such a shock.

Watching this now. Some people are mentally/emotionally distorted in a way that opens them up to predators. And the cultists that run these organizations are typically narcissistic socio/psychopaths that see these victims the same as a wolf would see a wounded elk. It’s sick as fuck and it happens all the damn time. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Watching this now. Some people are mentally/emotionally distorted in a way that opens them up to predators. And the cultists that run these organizations are typically narcissistic socio/psychopaths that see these victims the same as a wolf would see a wounded elk. It’s sick as fuck and it happens all the damn time. 

I understand that but on the calls where the dude is berating members for not making him enough money just seems like people should be pushing the eject button a lot faster.   But seeing how he seems to have convinced a fair number of them that they're gay I guess it just shows how easily manipulated some are.  The whole divine masculine/feminine shit was creepy as hell.

Trying to get people to move to Michigan screams bad news.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Kermit said:

Watched Blue Eye Samurai on a recommendation from a co-worker. Binged the goddamn thing pretty quickly. Beautiful show all the way around. Lots of tits and a nose dildo for those so inclined. 

Watched 3 episodes today and yea I’m digging it hard

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 3:09 PM, hookemATL said:

Agree wholeheartedly. It’s really really disturbing the amount of abuse people will subject themselves to in pursuit of pie in the sky dreams.  

Mysteriously, falling for it doesn’t even correlate perfectly with intelligence or lack thereof. A cousin on my wife’s side is a genius physicist nanotechnology pioneer yet still ditched his kids and wife to join his True Flame. People are strange or at least really overvalue strange.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/17/2023 at 3:35 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

Dark was awesome, but you better not take a break between episodes or even seasons. Too much material to remember and extra studying on paradoxes, theorems, etc too.

Friend made a complex, multifaceted poster timeline and genealogy just to keep everything straight. I still had trouble tracking everything. So much fun though

On 11/18/2023 at 6:02 PM, Macanudo said:

I understand that but on the calls where the dude is berating members for not making him enough money just seems like people should be pushing the eject button a lot faster.   But seeing how he seems to have convinced a fair number of them that they're gay I guess it just shows how easily manipulated some are.  The whole divine masculine/feminine shit was creepy as hell.

Trying to get people to move to Michigan screams bad news.  

I was waiting for the sex cult to finally materialize and everyone to move to bumfuck Michigan. I guess that might still be a future stage of the cult plan. 

but what was totally not compelling for me was how little persuasion it took to keep these guys locked in. All they had to do was log off! It’s on a line cult!

I laughed every time they did the "leave Facebook group graphic". It’s that easy, my friends!

Mysteriously, falling for it doesn’t even correlate perfectly with intelligence or lack thereof. A cousin on my wife’s side is a genius physicist nanotechnology pioneer yet still ditched his kids and wife to join his True Flame. People are strange or at least really overvalue strange.

Yeah there have been studies done and plenty of “I’d never fall for that” people still fall for it given the right circumstances or the right scammer.

On 11/23/2023 at 10:59 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

This squid game. Game series is the purest dog shit outside of an aggy game  the pussy in episode 2 crying is an absolute beta cuck 

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

I cannot believe the prize is 4.5 mil.  Crazy.

Did y’all see TJ Ford is one of the contestants?  Talks about having financial issues after basketball.  

Edited by Hook1997

This weekend, TikTok started serving up videos to me from the contestants.  Here were a few production related items that caught my attention.

Spoiler
  • Red Light/Green Light took over 7 hours to film. Whenever they had to stop, the producers took up to 45 minutes to identify who had moved. It was noted that they were given a couple of breaks to stretch for a few minutes. This is also why a few players quickly learned to lie down when needing to stop.
  • Also red light/green light was filmed in an airplane hangar and the contestants claimed the temp was in the 20s. Maybe they're exaggerating but to a person, they said it was very cold.
  • when they had to decide on the cookie/needle challenge, they were forbidden to play a game to decide who got what. They just had to agree.
  • when they filmed the cookie challenge, each group was further split into 4 sub-groups. The inactive sub-groups were told to pretend to be playing in the background.
  • finally they had 1-2 days between games so they just sat in the dorm room with nothing to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

Taare Zameen Par (2007). It's about a little boy in India (movie is in Hindi w/subtitles) and his difficulties with expectations and education. Very slow build to the end so it requires some patience. To me, that was the point of the director as the story unfolded. Creative and beautiful and the lead is just adorable. It was worth the run time.

Just read this Obliterated review.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/obliterated-review-brainless-teenage-boys-060000750.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=0_00

Looks like Surly has its TV spirit animal, boys! 

Obliterated, review: brainless teenage-boy's fantasy nonsense is a new low for Netflix

Spoiler

Call off the search: the worst show of 2023 is here. That is, unless you’re a 13-year-old boy, in which case Obliterated (Netflix) is your dream product. Guns! Naked breasts! A lead character who is a government operative but also looks smokin’ hot in a red bikini! And that’s before we get to the script, in which a foreign baddie plots to nuke Las Vegas. Standing in his way is an elite tactical unit (the best kind) whose members say things like: “We’re supposed to stop the bad guy with the bomb” and to a female team member with a computer: “You’re the tits, Tech Chick.”

Remember how the boys in Weird Science came up with their ideal woman? Obliterated is what would happen if they were teenagers now and decided to invent an eight-part Netflix series. It is so avowedly dumb that you spend the first episode thinking that the writers are spoofing 1980s action movies and any minute now they’ll cleverly up-end it. Nope. The hour ends with the team’s crazed bomb-disposal expert falling face first into a coffee table after lacing his guacamole with magic mushrooms.

The rest of his team of “real American heroes” have also been on mushrooms, MDMA and champagne (glugged straight from the bottle – this is Vegas, baby!), in between sex scenes. This is at a party they’ve thrown to celebrate a successful mission, in which they went undercover to capture a Russian villain and killed loads of people to a soundtrack of cool rock music. “No one’s ever going to know what we did because, until this is declassified, today never happened,” says Special Agent Ava Winters (Shelley Hennig), walking away from a job that involved a military helicopter firing missiles through a hotel window in a packed holiday destination.

“Had we streamed our take-down on TikTok, we’d be trending right now,” laments the team’s female sniper, who also says admiringly of a colleague: “McKnight might be the cockiest son of a b---h I’ve ever met, but that’s why the ladies love him.” See what I mean about a 13-year-old boy writing the dialogue?

Anyway, it turns out that their mission actually failed, and they get called back to the field despite all of them (including the pilot) being high. “I don’t care how f—ed up we are, we’re still the best in the game,” says a character called Chad McKnight (Nick Zano). I did not think it was possible to cross The Hangover with the combined oeuvre of Steven Seagal, but here we are.

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/23/2023 at 10:59 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

This squid game. Game series is the purest dog shit outside of an aggy game  the pussy in episode 2 crying is an absolute beta cuck 

🤷🏽‍♂️ I like it. And I know we’re a bunch of assholes, but that dude definitely seems like he’s on the spectrum and probably deals with a lot of anxiety. I ain’t gonna judge him for that

Has anyone seen Leave the World Behind? I tried reading the book years ago and the writing was so fucking pretentious I barely got through 1/4 of it before I stopped. I actually wrote down a few quotes in case anyone asked me how it was, spoilered below. But I do still find the premise intriguing and I wonder if it comes across better in film.

Spoiler

It was at the point where I read "pudendum in relief" that I just couldn't take it anymore. This was a few pages after I read "the white demimonde of plumbers", at which point I realized I should've stopped. Some excerpts:

"He slowed the car because the road was curvy, seductive, a hip switched back and forth. Designer mailboxes like a hobo sign: good taste and great wealth, pass on by. You couldn't see anything, the trees were that full. Signs warned of deer, idiotic and inured to the presence of humans. They strutted into the streets confidently, walleyed and therefore blind. You saw their corpses everywhere, nut brown and pneumatic with death."

"The brain abets the eye; eventually your expectations of a thing supersede the thing itself. Yellow-and-black pictographs, hillocks fading into prefab concrete walls, the occasional glimpse of split-level, railroad crossing, baseball diamond, above-ground pool." 

"The en suite bath was all white...that particular fantasy of purity to escape the reality of your own excrement."

And then, three pages describing every. single. item one of the characters puts in her grocery cart. Lots of people like this book, but as for me...it's a no.

50 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Has anyone seen Leave the World Behind? I tried reading the book years ago and the writing was so fucking pretentious I barely got through 1/4 of it before I stopped. I actually wrote down a few quotes in case anyone asked me how it was, spoilered below. But I do still find the premise intriguing and I wonder if it comes across better in film.

Reveal hidden contents

It was at the point where I read "pudendum in relief" that I just couldn't take it anymore. This was a few pages after I read "the white demimonde of plumbers", at which point I realized I should've stopped. Some excerpts:

"He slowed the car because the road was curvy, seductive, a hip switched back and forth. Designer mailboxes like a hobo sign: good taste and great wealth, pass on by. You couldn't see anything, the trees were that full. Signs warned of deer, idiotic and inured to the presence of humans. They strutted into the streets confidently, walleyed and therefore blind. You saw their corpses everywhere, nut brown and pneumatic with death."

"The brain abets the eye; eventually your expectations of a thing supersede the thing itself. Yellow-and-black pictographs, hillocks fading into prefab concrete walls, the occasional glimpse of split-level, railroad crossing, baseball diamond, above-ground pool." 

"The en suite bath was all white...that particular fantasy of purity to escape the reality of your own excrement."

And then, three pages describing every. single. item one of the characters puts in her grocery cart. Lots of people like this book, but as for me...it's a no.

Netflix December 8

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, austingirl said:

Reveal hidden contents

tim-gunn-eww-gross.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 9:46 AM, Vito Andolini said:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/obliterated-review-brainless-teenage-boys-060000750.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=0_00

Obliterated, review: brainless teenage-boy's fantasy nonsense is a new low for Netflix

Hide contents

Call off the search: the worst show of 2023 is here. That is, unless you’re a 13-year-old boy, in which case Obliterated (Netflix) is your dream product. Guns! Naked breasts! A lead character who is a government operative but also looks smokin’ hot in a red bikini! And that’s before we get to the script, in which a foreign baddie plots to nuke Las Vegas. Standing in his way is an elite tactical unit (the best kind) whose members say things like: “We’re supposed to stop the bad guy with the bomb” and to a female team member with a computer: “You’re the tits, Tech Chick.”

Remember how the boys in Weird Science came up with their ideal woman? Obliterated is what would happen if they were teenagers now and decided to invent an eight-part Netflix series. It is so avowedly dumb that you spend the first episode thinking that the writers are spoofing 1980s action movies and any minute now they’ll cleverly up-end it. Nope. The hour ends with the team’s crazed bomb-disposal expert falling face first into a coffee table after lacing his guacamole with magic mushrooms.

The rest of his team of “real American heroes” have also been on mushrooms, MDMA and champagne (glugged straight from the bottle – this is Vegas, baby!), in between sex scenes. This is at a party they’ve thrown to celebrate a successful mission, in which they went undercover to capture a Russian villain and killed loads of people to a soundtrack of cool rock music. “No one’s ever going to know what we did because, until this is declassified, today never happened,” says Special Agent Ava Winters (Shelley Hennig), walking away from a job that involved a military helicopter firing missiles through a hotel window in a packed holiday destination.

“Had we streamed our take-down on TikTok, we’d be trending right now,” laments the team’s female sniper, who also says admiringly of a colleague: “McKnight might be the cockiest son of a b---h I’ve ever met, but that’s why the ladies love him.” See what I mean about a 13-year-old boy writing the dialogue?

Anyway, it turns out that their mission actually failed, and they get called back to the field despite all of them (including the pilot) being high. “I don’t care how f—ed up we are, we’re still the best in the game,” says a character called Chad McKnight (Nick Zano). I did not think it was possible to cross The Hangover with the combined oeuvre of Steven Seagal, but here we are.

Sounds like the SNL skit where Andy Samberg was a 13-yo consultant on Game of Thrones.

On 11/30/2023 at 9:46 AM, Vito Andolini said:

Reveal hidden contents

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Bad Surgeon. How is the cocksucker kot in jail for fucking murder?

We don’t really have sympathy for the jilted fiancée/ journalist. She seems more disappointed that she got fucked out of getting married by the pope with the Clintons than these poor victims.

I read an article a few days back about this/her.   She is a dumb ass.