I did not know that... trivial stuff you just learned

locodos

Maybe these are all good album names for a single band. 

One of my proudest moments in life occurred when I was ~10-12 years old and on a family vacation. The hotel we were staying at had live bands in the bar area and a little chalkboard sandwich board thing in front of the entrance to advertise each night's act. 

"Cat Sass" was the name of the band one night, and I found their chalk and added an apostrophe so that it then appeared to proclaim that "Cat's ass" would be playing that evening. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

One of my proudest moments in life occurred when I was ~10-12 years old and on a family vacation. The hotel we were staying at had live bands in the bar area and a little chalkboard sandwich board thing in front of the entrance to advertise each night's act. 

"Cat Sass" was the name of the band one night, and I found their chalk and added an apostrophe so that it then appeared to proclaim that "Cat's ass" would be playing that evening. 

Apple, far from tree, and whatnot.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Only one US President has lost a son to war.  T. Roosevelt

Possibly not true.  There is some thought that Beau Biden's cancer was caused by chemical exposure during his service.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Only one US President has lost a son to war.  T. Roosevelt

And Teddy Jr. was well over 50 when he died in Normandy, so it's not like he was cut down in the flower of his youth.

But that is an amazing stat.  I wonder how many presidential sons have even seen action. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

And Teddy Jr. was well over 50 when he died in Normandy, so it's not like he was cut down in the flower of his youth.

But that is an amazing stat.  I wonder how many presidential sons have even seen action. 

Quinten died in WW1.  Flew in 94th Aero Squadron

He was 20.

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Speaking of presidential offspring dying in battle, I'm touring Chickamauga battlefield this morning and just learned that Captain Samuel Jackson died in the battle. Though he was only a grandson of Andrew and also happened to be fighting on the wrong side.

The historical record is spotty, but it's believed his last words were "Get these motherfucking Yankees off my motherfucking land."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Was just thinking about the Venus flytrap for some reason.  Everyone thinks about the flytrap part, but I thought for a second, wait, where did the Venus part come from.  Then I was like

oh.  oh. oooohhh.

I'd ask @Not a cat, as the avatar seems relevant.....;)

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/20/2024 at 2:37 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

that's like changing hoof arted to who farted. it was already the joke anyway. you should reconsider how proud you are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/20/2024 at 2:37 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

When I worked at Barton Springs Pool as a lifeguard back in the day, there was this poster in the first aid room of a kid diving into shallow water. There was a girl yelling at him "Dave, don't dive, that's the shallow end!" Then a picture of Dave paralyzed in a wheel chair. 

The caption said "Dave will never dive again." Except that it was two lines centered so the caption actually said

Dave will never

dive again. 

Some clown with great penmanship took a sharpie that exactly matched the color of the caption and wrote in the word "muff" at the beginning of the second line. Matched the font perfectly. Unless you looked really really close you couldn't tell the word had been added. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

You should reconsider how stupid your supporting example is. 

let's consider it then:

hoof arted phonetically is who farted. 

cat sass phonetically is cat's ass. 

i considered it and it's a great example. the band's name was already a joke and then you explained the joke to anyone dumb enough to not understand.   

18 minutes ago, stc said:

let's consider it then:

hoof arted phonetically is who farted. 

cat sass phonetically is cat's ass. 

i considered it and it's a great example. the band's name was already a joke and then you explained the joke to anyone dumb enough to not understand.   

Let's consider it written out then:

"Hoof arted" needs significant reconstruction to become "who farted" so your example would be great if everything else was different. 

22 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:
23 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Caterpillars don't actually form what we think of as "cocoons" to turn into butterflies.  Those are moths. 

IT WAS ALL A LIE! 

What most people think of as cocoons are chrysalides - thus, what most people think of "cocoons" are actually caterpillars turning into butterflies.

Both wrong. What most people think are cocoons ... are actually Wilford Brimley.

tumblr_n1m1nvK48b1re0c97o1_500.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Let's consider it written out then:

"Hoof arted" needs significant reconstruction to become "who farted" so your example would be great if everything else was different. 

2 moves is not significant reconstruction. add a w in front hoof and then erase an o...whoofarted. goddamn that was tough, i can see how it would be too complicated for your smooth brain to figure out. 

13 minutes ago, stc said:

2 moves is not significant reconstruction. add a w in front hoof and then erase an o...whoofarted. goddamn that was tough, i can see how it would be too complicated for your smooth brain to figure out. 

Thanks for the handy diagram, Dr. Science. It all makes so much more sense now. 

I contend that erasing letters and adding more letters amounts to much more obvious tinkering than merely adding an apostrophe, but I don't expect you to understand the subtleties here, as you're apparently still struggling to understand basic rules of capitalization. 

3 hours ago, stc said:

Are you and shadow op 2.0 related and on/off the same meds? 

I am a lifelong Beatles freak/fan.  I have heard the song "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"  approximately 17257 times. I have seen the Ed Sullivan Show performance of that song approximately 9754 times. I recently learned that the lyrics are NOT

And when I touch you
I feel happy inside
It's such a feelin' that my love
I get high
I get high

I get high

but, rather:

And when I touch you

I feel happy inside

I can't hide
I can't hide

I can't hide

I am dumbstruck, flummoxed, hornswoggled etc...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 8:30 PM, CleverNickname said:

I saw a black bear in Big Bend in '06. Looked like a scrawy black lab. The end.

Same, 2017. The one I saw in Lassen Volcanic NP? More like a bear. It also got all up in our campsite, despite having our stuff in a bear container 100 yards away. We moved camp for the night...

20170226_110456.jpg

20190622_174612.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, hookem2010 said:

Same, 2017. The one I saw in Lassen Volcanic NP? More like a bear. It also got all up in our campsite, despite having our stuff in a bear container 100 yards away. We moved camp for the night...

Damn. I sooo want to get Lassen, but I'm always in the area a week or two too soon and Bumpus Hell is still closed. I think I may have to wait until the kids are in college and I can do that sweet sweet September/October travel.

13 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I am a lifelong Beatles freak/fan.  I have heard the song "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"  approximately 17257 times. I have seen the Ed Sullivan Show performance of that song approximately 9754 times. I recently learned that the lyrics are NOT

And when I touch you
I feel happy inside
I get high
I get high

I get high

but, rather:

And when I touch you

I feel happy inside

I can't hide
I can't hide

I can't hide

I am dumbstruck, flummoxed, hornswoggled etc...

You were probably high.

On a side note, I spent hours and hours and hours as a child sitting in front of our big stereo console that was like a piece of furniture, listening to the red and blue Beatles greatest hits albums, reading and singing along with the lyrics in the liner notes.

I could never find an exact match but the stereo console looked something like these:

IMG_2096.thumb.png.326322f6aa8795262d2edf893b20d3e4.png

IMG_2095.thumb.jpeg.d7e17a023dabd2c8a4f7c05893d67366.jpeg

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You were probably high.

On a side note, I spent hours and hours and hours as a child sitting in front of our big stereo console that was like a piece of furniture, listening to the red and blue Beatles greatest hits albums, reading and singing along with the lyrics in the liner notes.

I could never find an exact match but the stereo console looked something like these:

IMG_2096.thumb.png.326322f6aa8795262d2edf893b20d3e4.png

IMG_2095.thumb.jpeg.d7e17a023dabd2c8a4f7c05893d67366.jpeg

Everybody and their dogs had one of these.  Now, 99% of them are in landfills. What a country.

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

"Oh. Here's a 4 page thread on trivia I'm sure is probably full of interesting and strange facts. Let's just go ahead and click on this last page and see what's in here."

What do you expect? This is the Surly.

• Like 2