UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread

Captainant

5 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I don't know why this term of reference bothers me so. Perhaps its because I'm half Jewish (father's side so not recognized as Jewish by ethnic/religious Jews).  But when people refer to Jewish people (as in, the adjective use of the term) as "Jew" rather than "Jewish", it comes across as anti-Semitic to me (e.g., "I have a Jew lawyer" instead of "my lawyer is Jewish"), or at the very least ignorant.  It carries the same derogatory connotation as when people refer to the "Democrat" Party instead of the "Democratic" Party.

Anyway, just thought I'd put that out there.

Ok. No idea why this post is in this thread. I didn’t post in here. Weird how posts just get moved around. Carry on. 

9 minutes ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

You provided no proof of the antisemitism. Your statement was vague and sounded like an accusation for all protesters there hating Jews. 

I have a friend whose 18 year old daughter left school because she was being bullied - not UT - Ivy. Schools should be ashamed that this kind of behavior is going on on campuses around the country. Kids - black, white, brown, Jewish or Hindu should be able to learn without intimidation and fear. To some just blocking a walkway or wearing a black and white Yasser Arafat styled keffiyeh is an attack. Think about those wearing a white hood and blocking walkways during integration. It is not right and the attacks are not limited to Israel in many cases. Take the recent Jerry Seinfeld harassment linked below.

https://www.foxnews.com/video/6347677657112

Tell me what you hear. Why target a Jew? He isn't Israeli. Now imagine that stuff being said to young Jewish girls going to class. Now imagine people getting in their faces and screaming as they walk. It has no place in America.

gettyimages-1724719243_custom-5e13bc011c2fe6f9efb16b955824cb593634292a.thumb.jpg.8476c5164435946309940dc3e29d48cc.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

I'm not an experienced moderator but I would suggest replying to all those reports with dick pics.

The idea that grown men run off to the mods complaining about this kind of thing just bottles the mind.

Ah, I see the misunderstanding. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Are the protesting students not entitled to feel safe in voicing their opinions?  Those students don’t count?

Well you see, they're orcs. The pro-Israeli protestors are the only humans.

I do have to say the absolute silence from certain posters on this topic is deafening.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

Well you see, they're orcs. The pro-Israeli protestors are the only humans.

That's right. Who gives a shit if a pro-Palestinian protester gets stabbed for wearing a keffiyeh near the UT campus?

Zacharia Doar, 23, was grabbing a bite to eat with three of his friends Sunday after attending a rally in support of Palestinian rights and calling for a cease-fire in Gaza.

The group said they were near the intersection of Nueces Street and West 26th Street when a man riding a bike tried to rip a flagpole with a Palestinian keffiyeh scarf reading "Free Palestine" off their truck.

The victims told police the man, who has been identified as 36-year-old Bert James Baker, repeatedly screamed the N-word and other obscenities at them, opened the passenger door and pulled one man out of the truck and attacked him. The three others got out to fight him off. Baker then allegedly pulled out a knife and stabbed Doar in the chest, breaking one of his ribs.

Hell, they don't even have to be protesting. Simple wearing a keffiyeh is apparently enough to warrant getting shot. This intimidation will not stand, right @Bevo?

Nov 27 (Reuters) - A suspect was arrested in the shooting of three college students of Palestinian descent in Vermont, local police reported early on Monday, an attack under investigation as a suspected hate-motivated crime.

A man with a pistol shot and wounded the three victims on the street near the University of Vermont in Burlington on Saturday evening and then ran away, police said in an earlier statement.

A suspect, identified as Jason J. Eaton, 48, was arrested on Sunday afternoon, the department later confirmed. Burlington police and the mayor's office will hold a news conference later on Monday to discuss the incident and arrest, the police said.

Two of the victims are U.S. citizens and the third is a legal U.S. resident, all 20 years old, police said. At the time of the attack, two of the men were wearing a keffiyeh, the traditional black-and-white checkered scarf worn in Middle East, police said.

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, bolverk said:

But, but, but Brisket, MacKenzie says the protestors were there "to scare, threaten, and intimidate Jewish Austinites."

And, look, I don't doubt one bit that antisemitic bullshit gets thrown around. Hell, we've seen it on this very site, and I'm even uncomfortable with TheJewsDidThis gif, but I refuse to be gaslit by dimwits who claim to represent my interests and me.

Fitlump is an alumnus of Harvard so we should consider everything she has to say regarding campus protests.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

But, but, but Brisket, MacKenzie says the protestors were there "to scare, threaten, and intimidate Jewish Austinites."

English, bitch. Do you speak it?

(Fitlump, not bolverk)

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Imagine thinking that a scarf with a politically associated message is intrinsically offensive and a threat (a yasser arafat styled scarf!). 

Oh wait, I've seen this one before.

#bothsides

image.thumb.png.622f5acac75ce15e4f8ac61c0be2bb9f.png

At least he wasn't shot or stabbed. Although I will admit that his smug, self-satisfied grin sure makes his face look awfully punchable.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I have a friend whose 18 year old daughter left school because she was being bullied - not UT - Ivy. Schools should be ashamed that this kind of behavior is going on on campuses around the country. Kids - black, white, brown, Jewish or Hindu should be able to learn without intimidation and fear. To some just blocking a walkway or wearing a black and white Yasser Arafat styled keffiyeh is an attack. Think about those wearing a white hood and blocking walkways during integration. It is not right and the attacks are not limited to Israel in many cases. Take the recent Jerry Seinfeld harassment linked below.

Tell me what you hear. Why target a Jew? He isn't Israeli. Now imagine that stuff being said to young Jewish girls going to class. Now imagine people getting in their faces and screaming as they walk. It has no place in America.

gettyimages-1724719243_custom-5e13bc011c2fe6f9efb16b955824cb593634292a.thumb.jpg.8476c5164435946309940dc3e29d48cc.jpg

My Jewish friends have called their children home from college for the time being. It’s just not safe. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck You 6

7 hours ago, Captainant said:

It's almost like abbott is choosing to escalate this as a culture war issue, or something. 

He's also framing this action as being "against antisemitism" which is bad because that means he thinks he's justified in arresting those protesters. 

Abbott? Needlessly escalating shit for personal gain? 

Shocking.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

48 minutes ago, bolverk said:

At least he wasn't shot or stabbed. Although I will admit that his smug, self-satisfied grin sure makes his face look awfully punchable.

Hello darkness, my old friend. 

But if you want those examples, you know they exist. 

Does UT still allow the anti-abortion group to set up shop at the corner in front of Gregory with their giant pictures of aborted fetuses like they did in the late 90s?

I also recall in 1994 I believe the KKK marched down Dallas Ave in grapevine, fully permitted, after some racial incidents at GHS got their attention. 

was told 1st amendment allowed for it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

antisemitism has been on the rise since 2016

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Does UT still allow the anti-abortion group to set up shop at the corner in front of Gregory with their giant pictures of aborted fetuses like they did in the late 90s?

I also recall in 1994 I believe the KKK marched down Dallas Ave in grapevine, fully permitted, after some racial incidents at GHS got their attention. 

Yep. I was at UT in the mid-late 80s when the KKK marched down the drag chanting their racist shit. We were told it was their right, and of course, it was. So we just watched for a couple of minutes while we waited to cross, then ignored their shit and went on about our binness. 

I've always told my kids that so much of the freedom so many take for granted is incredibly fragile, and here is a great example. It doesn't matter if the protesters or anyone else there is 'right' or 'wrong'. They were protesting peacefully. About as peaceful a protest as I've ever seen with that many people. So sad. I can't believe how far we've fallen in so short a time. /csb

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, deft said:

I am sickened. So disappointed in my school. I am embarrassed of my school and state. I’ve walked out of dkr after Arkansas beat us unexpectedly and out of the cotton bowl in the early 2000s. That pales in comparison to real actual life. This is real actual life. And this is way more embarrassing.

Fuck you abbott. This is straight up fascism. Send in your jackbooted thugs just to provide red meat for your brainwashed base. They’re too chickenshit scared to face one shooter when children the age of my own offspring are being murdered. I am sickened and embarrassed to call myself a Texan.

Sorry for the ranting. I just now found out about this and I’ve been drinking. This is terrible and just another thing in the list of things that can’t be undone toward our downfall. Maybe it’s me watching band of brothers and getting to the “why we fight” episode right as I hear about this. Maybe im just drunk of a Wednesday. Fuck. This is bad.

Sgt. hulk can get fucked too.

All of this

28 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

antisemitism has been on the rise since 2016

2016, huh? I wonder why...

[Not really.]

• Like 3

i typed up a long post, but it just said what has already been said, fuck it. Sad day. not sure what to do other than hope the fall semester just has a few of these around the nation (and with no violence) because shit man I am worried. As the playbook creeps out (thanks abbot) it will get scary. Take is easy friends and hook'em (and fuck all fascists)

• Hook 'Em 7

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I agree. Threats and the like have no place, and campuses should take steps to protect against and limit them.
The problem is, by most of what I have seen and read, that’s not what was happening today. There was even a Jewish counter protest waving Israeli flags, and their interaction with the main protest was peaceful.
Jewish students shouldn’t be threatened or terrorized. Neither should Arab or Palestinian students. They each should be able to take public positions that make the other side uncomfortable or even angry, so long as they do so peacefully without violence, threats, or intimidation. And people who engage in violence, threats, and intimidation, should be held accountable.
I don’t care what your cause is, I stand for that proposition. If we don’t, then we’re worthless as well.

What is the debate? Their right as Jews to exist? The right of Israel to exist? Their association with Israel? Are we going back to BC, 1948, the most recent Hamas attack, Israel's response? The treatment of the average Palestinian in Gaza? Is there a moderator? Can the audience shout down the speakers?

I have got to tell you that debating a mob that is or isn't violent is a terrible idea. What you call debating at a demonstration is a simple yelling at each other and in those kind of debates, majority rules. Meanwhile many kids just want to go to school without incident and get prepared for finals. And just because one is Jewish, doesn't mean he supports Israel, it doesn't mean he must denounce Israel, and it could mean any thing in-between. Jews aren't some monolithic block. There are many differing views. So when Jerry Seinfeld or Michael Dell, or Scarlett Johansson get confronted by demonstrators because of their religion, it raises a lot of red flags for Jews in the US. And then when the demonstrations are being started on campus and begin to spread, it raises more red flags.

As for everything being peaceful, I can only go by hearsay because I'm a little old for campus. What I can gather is that it is peaceful if you are thick skinned. Intimidation, chants like from the river to the sea, the Holocaust didn't exist, Jews kill Palestinian babies, are present. And such things wouldn't affect all Jews equally. Some may call that peaceful as long as there isn't spitting and pushing. Some may be scared. Some would rather celebrate Pesach than deal with a bunch of protests.

And as you said people who engage in violence, threats, and intimidation, should be held accountable. This hasn't been happening, though. And things are getting out of hand in many places around the country and around the world. When mobs storm the airport terminal in Daghestani, shouting antisemitic slogans, chanting "Allahu Akbar" and running around asking staff where the "Jews" are, Jews around the world take notice. It has been seen before and it has rarely ended peacefully.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 4

What are you babbling about? Who was heard shouting at the Jewish students wrapped in their flags?  If Jewish people want to take what happened to Jerry Seinfeld as a warning that makes them raise red flags and give to PACs that are pro-Israel, that is their right. Good for them.

Your words sound like a veiled threat that all Jewish people are going to raise red flags and be on notice to do something drastic to protect themselves.  
Or maybe that is just what you wish will happen.  

• Hook 'Em 6

6 hours ago, Bevo said:

What does this have to do with what happened at UT?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

What is the debate? Their right as Jews to exist? The right of Israel to exist? Their association with Israel? Are we going back to BC, 1948, the most recent Hamas attack, Israel's response? The treatment of the average Palestinian in Gaza? Is there a moderator? Can the audience shout down the speakers?

I have got to tell you that debating a mob that is or isn't violent is a terrible idea. What you call debating at a demonstration is a simple yelling at each other and in those kind of debates, majority rules. Meanwhile many kids just want to go to school without incident and get prepared for finals. And just because one is Jewish, doesn't mean he supports Israel, it doesn't mean he must denounce Israel, and it could mean any thing in-between. Jews aren't some monolithic block. There are many differing views. So when Jerry Seinfeld or Michael Dell, or Scarlett Johansson get confronted by demonstrators because of their religion, it raises a lot of red flags for Jews in the US. And then when the demonstrations are being started on campus and begin to spread, it raises more red flags.

As for everything being peaceful, I can only go by hearsay because I'm a little old for campus. What I can gather is that it is peaceful if you are thick skinned. Intimidation, chants like from the river to the sea, the Holocaust didn't exist, Jews kill Palestinian babies, are present. And such things wouldn't affect all Jews equally. Some may call that peaceful as long as there isn't spitting and pushing. Some may be scared. Some would rather celebrate Pesach than deal with a bunch of protests.

And as you said people who engage in violence, threats, and intimidation, should be held accountable. This hasn't been happening, though. And things are getting out of hand in many places around the country and around the world. When mobs storm the airport terminal in Daghestani, shouting antisemitic slogans, chanting "Allahu Akbar" and running around asking staff where the "Jews" are, Jews around the world take notice. It has been seen before and it has rarely ended peacefully.

What does any of this have to do with what happened in Austin? 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Oh no! Not intimidation chants! 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I came here to post this. They were definitely there in the late 2000s. Seems a bit more disruptive and disturbing to me than people walking down the street chanting.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

The people who give the orders love this shit.

Every time they get to deploy their militarized police force is a step toward normalizing it.

Looking at the videos, the only danger I see is those police.  The kids are just chanting, and there are Israeli flags among the pro-Palestine crowd, and everything is fine.

This is cops arresting people because their bosses told them to, because those bosses want to, and because they can.  And it points to something much bigger than this protest.

If you love this stuff you hate America. Freedom out front should have told you.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

I came here to post this. They were definitely there in the late 2000s. Seems a bit more disruptive and disturbing to me than people walking down the street chanting.

Had I been more clever, I would have made posters of Christian’s being eaten by lions or signs promotion gay sex, because that can’t lead to abortion.

But I had shit to do.
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

What the fuck does Daghestani have to do with American college campuses?

• Hook 'Em 1