Johnny (football?) Manziel

bigup2dahorns

Netflix’s Johnny Manziel Doc Was Bizarre, Poorly Done

JIMMY TRAINA            21 HOURS AGO

1. Netflix got a viral moment earlier this week when a scene from Untold: Johnny Football revealed that Johnny Manziel watched no film at all while with the Browns.

That was pretty much the only thing you learned in the show, and I’m not sure how many NFL fans actually thought Manziel studied film based on how he played.

The documentary had a lot to work with. Manziel revealed he had planned to party and spend as much of his money as possible before killing himself. He claimed the gun he used to take his life malfunctioned.

The show spent about 30 seconds on this entire subject.

Untold made sure to give you 45 minutes on Manziel as a great high school player and legendary college football player and epic partier. Stuff every football already knew about. 

The show then spent 10 minutes on his postcollege struggles, including, according to Manziel, a cocaine and oxycodone addiction, a flameout in the NFL and a short-lived stint in the CFL.

In one of the rare compelling moments, Manziel’s sister appeared on-screen and said that her brother is still not well. The show did not explore this at all.

The opening of the doc showed Manziel lighting something up and smoking it. The end of the show showed Manziel drinking a beer.

I’m not saying we needed an hour on addiction and the struggle of staying sober, but considering how the doc highlighted Manziel’s drinking, and Manziel talked about his drug habit, these shots were not only bizarre but also made the lack of substance in the documentary glaringly obvious.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2023/08/11/netflix-johnny-manziel-doc-untold-review

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

I haven’t seen the documentary yet. Perhaps the opening and closing scenes of him smoking and drinking, of which he is allegedly trying to stop, is only a foreshadowing of things to come. This is just a primer for the yet unannounced sequel of his ultimate failure where there will be a deeper dive.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Watched it with the wife last night and had the same thoughts as @Mitch Cumsteen. This is more of an on-going tragedy than anything else. At least there was closure with Manti's episode. They just seemed to gloss over the fact that Johnny still isn't at peace with everything and it was very unsettling.

At least he despises the ncaa

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Watched it with the wife last night and had the same thoughts as @Mitch Cumsteen. This is more of an on-going tragedy than anything else. At least there was closure with Manti's episode. They just seemed to gloss over the fact that Johnny still isn't at peace with everything and it was very unsettling.

Stella Artois is more peaceful than raging shots, no?

3 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

I haven’t seen the documentary yet. Perhaps the opening and closing scenes of him smoking and drinking, of which he is allegedly trying to stop, is only a foreshadowing of things to come. This is just a primer for the yet unannounced sequel of his ultimate failure where there will be a deeper dive.

"From the makers of 'Dark Side of the Ring' comes 'Dark Side of aggy.'"

(disclaimer: not too dark, if you know what we mean)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Over at TexAgs they are all pulling each others puds over the doc.
“We need a statue of JFF at Kyle!”
“My hero! Greatest player ever lived!”
“Thank God the gun jammed! Broken-hearted he wanted to commit suicide!”
“Hope I get to do shots with him at the Money bar!”
“Look how good he played in Cleveland not watching film!”

They defend any money he was paid, act like he’s recovered, and maintain he is a victim of Sumlin and his agent.

Fucktards the lot of them,

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Over at TexAgs they are all pulling each others puds over the doc.
“We need a statue of JFF at Kyle!”
“My hero! Greatest player ever lived!”
“Thank God the gun jammed! Broken-hearted he wanted to commit suicide!”
“Hope I get to do shots with him at the Money bar!”
“Look how good he played in Cleveland not watching film!”

They defend any money he was paid, act like he’s recovered, and maintain he is a victim of Sumlin and his agent.

Fucktards the lot of them,

I’m curious to see how many appearances he’ll make at the bar. He’s on record stating he hates College Station. Feels like a money grab using his name. 

But I’m sure the bar will do well because aggys are regards. The mere possibility of doing shots with JFF will keep the place packed. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Did not watch. Nodded head slowly like Jeremiah Johnson at the preview talking about the loss to Gata.

The one and only time I made it to that shit hole stadium. Aggys around me talk smack until right before the loss. After the loss, they told me how much better their band was than Florida.

You know those obvious bullshit glowing stories aggy posing as visiting fans post about going to Pyle Field ? This isn't one of them

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Did not watch. Nodded head slowly like Jeremiah Johnson at the preview talking about the loss to Gata.

The one and only time I made it to that shit hole stadium. Aggys around me talk smack until right before the loss. After the loss, they told me how much better their band was than Florida.

Also gave us this classic post-game Muschamp soundbite

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

Also haven’t watched and probably won’t. I have a good friend who is a season ticket holder and 2%er (?) and during the height of Johnny Football I went to a game with him just to see what was going on. I got up to take a leak as the clock struck zero for halftime and everyone around me was wondering why I would miss the big show. No line to take a leak so that was a win. Aggies lost the game to Auburn. Double win.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Also haven’t watched and probably won’t. I have a good friend who is a season ticket holder and 2%er (?) and during the height of Johnny Football I went to a game with him just to see what was going on. I got up to take a leak as the clock struck zero for halftime and everyone around me was wondering why I would miss the big show. No line to take a leak so that was a win. Aggies lost the game to Auburn. Double win.

I cannot imagine being subjected to watching their band at halftime seven or eight times a year.

And I love marching bands.

Watched it over the weekend.  Agree with whoever said it seems like they had a deadline to meet so they just turned in whatever they were through with instead of making sure they had a story worth telling.

Was surprised by the 'honesty' from his dad when answering the question regarding whether this story had a happy ending (however it was phrased) when he said, "I don't know, I think it is too early to tell"  Based on what I saw I'd say it's 70/30 there's a future meltdown coming when whatever money he still has runs low.

I bet the new bar is someone giving him a chunk of money to use his name and a promise from him to post up there on a few game days a season for a year or two. What could go wrong?!?

I was also surprised that he and Uncle Nate never reconciled.  In the big scheme of things Nate didn't seem to be a bad influence on an otherwise saintly Manziel and I would suspect actually took some heat off him while looking out for him in the way that a 20-year-old friend would.

It was worth an hour that I would otherwise have just been scrolling through Surly or watching pre-season football, but certainly not award winning.

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

So if JFF had a legal real agent instead of Nate maybe he gets focused. Likely not but maybe. If Michael Oher could have a real agent instead of the Tuohy maybe his story is different. This is what the ncaa doesn’t give a shit about. Fuck the ncaa.

I don't see how you're blaming the ncaa for JFF.. that kid was/is trash. Even after all that failure, he's still a bum.. absolutely no change. And those asshats at A&M voted him into their hall of honor or whatever that is even though it's clear he hates A&M and despises his time there. It boggles my mind that there are kids sitting around at Dell Children's Hospital battling cancer and this fuckstick is still bumming around on this earth.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The biggest takeaway from the documentary for me was that the greatest Aggy football player ever was a Texas reject. I couldn't stop laughing hearing about him wanting to be a Longhorn and looking up to VY, yet Texas showing no interest. That's every Aggy in a nutshell and that explains why they turn out the way they do.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

So if JFF had a legal real agent instead of Nate maybe he gets focused. Likely not but maybe. If Michael Oher could have a real agent instead of the Tuohy maybe his story is different. This is what the ncaa doesn’t give a shit about. Fuck the ncaa.

Not to mention if Vince had a real agent instead of the two grifters he chose.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 2:51 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

Former teammate and probably the best Cleveland Brown since Jim Brown very politely describes what a piece of shit Johnny Fuckface was/is

Merril Hodge on how he knew Johnny wasn't going to cut it in the NFL

the Joe Thomas video is an especially good watch. 

On 8/14/2023 at 9:41 AM, TrashMaster G said:

I cannot imagine being subjected to watching their band at halftime seven or eight times a year.

And I love marching bands.

Clearly you don't appreciate how hard it is to march in a straight line and then turn around and march in another straight line.