Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

On 5/8/2023 at 8:12 PM, Born to Run said:

Back in the day my old ass uncle got arrested for shoplifting at the Home Depot on 610 North in Houston. He bought a bunch of shit, but had put $35 worth of shit in his pocket, as his arms were full, and forgot to dig them out to pay. Class B misdemeanor as Class C at the time was $25 ( or whatever). Spent most of the night in jail over it.
Saw the same store parade around a dude that attempted shoplifting and got caught, with a "I'm a shoplifter" sign around his neck as some sort of penance instead of calling the cops. Bizzare.

In West Austin these days I routinely have to wait for a cashier to even appear- at the CVS, Lowes, Corner store. I could steal all sorts of shit, walk out with whatever, or only self check half my shit and no one gives a fuck. Crazy.

I guess the liability and costs of preventing shrinkage is factored into operating costs and they've found cheaper to let shit slide. Or maybe most people are pretty honest.

I worked at Consumer’s Commissary* at I-30 & Coliseum Rd in SA back in ‘79. They had a nice camera and electronics department, and a black woman managed to walk off with something expensive tucked under her sweater. The department manager yelled to the security guard (also black) to stop her, so he takes off after her. I happen to be nearby, so my 18 year-old dumbass joins in the chase across the parking lot. I finally caught up with her and grabbed her arm just as her ride pulled up and she started to get in (the security guard was nowhere to be seen).  A guy jumps out of the back seat on the other side and reaches into his waistband. I let go and jumped back. They took off, and I got a lecture from the security guard about not being a naive white boy who gets shot. He had his eyes pealed for what she was running to, not just that she was running away.

X marks the spot where I almost got shot.

01-B9-EA6-E-3473-448-E-8547-98-E53060033

That’s stain is not where I bled out. /csb

* SA old timers may know this as the Harry Tappan warehouse that Handy Andy bought when they tried the warehouse grocery business (before Sam’s Club or Costco). They hired a guy and his very rude wife from Price Club in San Diego to get it up and going. Price Club evolved into Costco. Coliseum Rd is now AT&T Center Pkwy.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Very rude wife.

18 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I worked at Consumer’s Commissary* at I-30 & Coliseum Rd in SA back in ‘79. They had a nice camera and electronics department, and a black woman managed to walk off with something expensive tucked under her sweater. The department manager yelled to the security guard (also black) to stop her, so he takes off after her. I happen to be nearby, so my 18 year-old dumbass joins in the chase across the parking lot. I finally caught up with her and grabbed her arm just as her ride pulled up and she started to get in (the security guard was nowhere to be seen).  A guy jumps out of the back seat on the other side and reaches into his waistband. I let go and jumped back. They took off, and I got a lecture from the security guard about not being a naive white boy who gets shot. He had his eyes pealed for what she was running to, not just that she was running away.

* SA old timers may know this as the Harry Tappan warehouse that Handy Andy bought when they tried the warehouse grocery business (before Sam’s Club or Costco). They hired a guy and his very rude wife from Price Club in San Diego to get it up and going. Price Club evolved into Costco. Coliseum Rd is now AT&T Center Pkwy.

I had a run in with a known shoplifter when I was managing Big Daddy's Liquors at I-30 & Eastchase in Ft Worth back around 2000. She was a huge black woman over 400 lbs that wore a belt contraption under her dress that had several hooks and loops on it that hung between her legs. She would hang 1.75L bottles by the neck and waddle out to the waiting car. I knew who she was because we got a BOLO on her from FWPD a week before when she did the same thing with a fucking TV set. (She was a BIG woman) I tried to detain her until the cops showed up but she bulldozed her way towards the getaway car. I had a 5 D cell Maglight and swung it as hard as I could between her legs and busted a bottle of Hennessy she had hidden. Her friends bailed out of the car and I decided discretion was the better part of valor and went back in the store. 

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RPM said:

I had a run in with a known shoplifter when I was managing Big Daddy's Liquors at I-30 & Eastchase in Ft Worth back around 2000. She was a huge black woman over 400 lbs that wore a belt contraption under her dress that had several hooks and loops on it that hung between her legs. She would hang 1.75L bottles by the neck and waddle out to the waiting car. I knew who she was because we got a BOLO on her from FWPD a week before when she did the same thing with a fucking TV set. (She was a BIG woman) I tried to detain her until the cops showed up but she bulldozed her way towards the getaway car. I had a 5 D cell Maglight and swung it as hard as I could between her legs and busted a bottle of Hennessy she had hidden. Her friends bailed out of the car and I decided discretion was the better part of valor and went back in the store. 

Tell me that was a big tube tv.

I also had a gun pointed directly at me in a regular Handy Andy store off Southcross Blvd just east of Goliad Rd. I was bagging groceries at the register furthest from the customer service desk when I heard someone yell, “I SAID EVERYONE STOP WHAT THEY BE DOING!” I was daydreaming, of course, and everyone around me was standing still and wide-eyed. There was a guy wearing bright red Converse or Keds high tops standing on top of the customer service counter, demanding all the money. He was pointing the gun at me, shaking like Barney Fife he was so scared. I was the only one who didn’t hear him say stop. The cops were still talking to the customer service people when they were notified that a suspect wearing red high tops had been spotted and then apprehended trying to escape by foot. That added a bit of humor to the night. 

8 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Tell me that was a big tube tv.

I also had a gun pointed directly at me in a regular Handy Andy store off Southcross Blvd just east of Goliad Rd. I was bagging groceries at the register furthest from the customer service desk when I heard someone yell, “I SAID EVERYONE STOP WHAT THEY BE DOING!” I was daydreaming, of course, and everyone around me was standing still and wide-eyed. There was a guy wearing bright red Converse or Keds high tops standing on top of the customer service counter, demanding all the money. He was pointing the gun at me, shaking like Barney Fife he was so scared. I was the only one who didn’t hear him say stop. The cops were still talking to the customer service people when they were notified that a suspect wearing red high tops had been spotted and then apprehended trying to escape by foot. That added a bit of humor to the night. 

Well I hope they called in The Cobra.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/13/2023 at 11:45 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

I worked at the Furrow Building Materials store on N. Lamar in the late 90's.  A guy just grabbed something off the shelf and walked out the front of the store to a waiting car.  Like a dumbshit idealist, I ran out and got between him and the car door and told him, "You can leave, but you are not leaving with that."  He handed it back to me, got in the car and drove away.  I would not do that same thing today.

• Haha 1

the one in West Campus?  It closed.

Speaking of that, not sure where to put my photo from earlier this week.  But watched the demolition of the Goodall-Wooten for a few minutes.  Was kind of a bummer.  There's a whole chapter in Wheeler's book about it.