Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

9 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Urban Meyer took an Ohio State team that went 6-7 in 2011 and went 13-0 in 2012. Good coaches instill a good culture and get results right away. If you're still working to create a disciplined culture on and off the field in year 4 of your tenure, you should be held accountable as the head coach. I understand comparing one of the GOAT College Coaches to Tom fucking Herman is comparing apples and orange, but there's NO excuse for these results with the best roster we've had since 2009.

Ohio State was built and running fine under Tressel. Their record under interim coach Fickel had nothing to do with a talent or culture problem. 

Urban brought their offense out of the Stone Age and killed it there. Urbs is smart. Rebuilds suck. Better to step into mostly built and win instantly than slog thorough 2-3 intermediate seasons. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Hook 'Em 2

1. he seemed simultaneously resigned and unburdened, like he knew what is coming

2. he seemed very relieved to have a statement to read off from about the Eyes of Texas, and the ability to point to a "process" about how all of that is going on. That's a man that is quite glad to hand the hot potato off to someone else. 

3 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

I tuned in for a couple minutes and Herman said (par.):"We don't have many things to fix.  There's just a few.  But they're fixable."

Holy shit.  Your entire program is on life support and you really feel you can spout off bullshit like that? 

Dear lord.  

He's working his you know what off

12 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

I tuned in for a couple minutes and Herman said (par.):"We don't have many things to fix.  There's just a few.  But they're fixable."

Holy shit.  Your entire program is on life support and you really feel you can spout off bullshit like that? 

Dear lord.  

This, and all the other excuses he’s used before. And he’s yet to fix anything. replacing coordinators simply bought him a year. The pandemic gives him another year to make BS excuses.
Guys, he’s not going anywhere anytime soon. 

Edited by Mossyhorn

8 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Urban brought their offense out of the Stone Age and killed it there. Urbs is smart. Rebuilds suck. Better to step into mostly built and win instantly than slog thorough 2-3 intermediate seasons. 

You know he's doing his due diligence and probably finds Texas very enticing. Smart coaches don't want to make things any harder than they have to be. We have a relatively easy path to the playoff. We underperform relative to our resources and talent on hand. He probably is even aware that Quinn Ewers is committed, so a path to a monster initial recruiting class is laid out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mossyhorn said:

This, and all the other excuses he’s used before. And he’s yet to fix anything. replacing coordinators simply bought him a year. The pandemic gives him another year to make BS excuses.
Guys, he’s not going anywhere anytime soon. 

IMO, he's gone.  Like that's been cast.  But he replaced his coordinator buddies with another buddy and a guy who's philosophy mirrors his.

3 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

First, he's 2-2 but really damn close to 1-3 or 0-3 in games that matter at all. These weren't flukey games, either. These were three games where we were completely unprepared against inferior talent. They've all been lost or nearly lost on scheme and preparation.

Second, I know mid season firings have always been something major programs are "above," but I seriously doubt that will be the case going forward with the new early signing period. If your current coach will drag your recruiting and you believe your new coach will boost them, it's objectively the right thing to do to cut ties early.

The only other consideration is if you think firing early will hurt an otherwise promising season, but no one considering firing their coach is having one of those.

We are in the middle of a pandemic where we are projected to lose $150 million. We have to pay Herman no matter what. What would be the upside of firing him mid-season? Our Offense is going to learn a new system on the fly and challenge for the conference? Even the best coach would struggle with mere days, not weeks, to install a completely new system. This isn’t the NFL where real $ is on the line and you fire a coach for going winless. We as fans are dumb enough to financially support it and make sure of that. When you look at the other side of the coin, Herman is 2 plays away from possibly being 4-0, as crazy as that sounds. We aren’t getting our shit pushed in. We find embarrassment in other areas.

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

We are in the middle of a pandemic where we are projected to lose $150 million. We have to pay Herman no matter what. What would be the upside of firing him mid-season? Our Offense is going to learn a new system on the fly and challenge for the conference? Even the best coach would struggle with mere days, not weeks, to install a completely new system. This isn’t the NFL where real $ is on the line and you fire a coach for going winless. We as fans are dumb enough to financially support it and make sure of that. When you look at the other side of the coin, Herman is 2 plays away from possibly being 4-0, as crazy as that sounds. We aren’t getting our shit pushed in. We find embarrassment in other areas.

From OB:

We may not be that dumb.  Fire him now.

I received multiple messages from sources this weekend saying the athletic department has lost at least $25 million in pledges in the past two weeks. That number may not be 100 percent accurate, but longtime fans are withholding their financial support.

By the way, Del Conte expected several donors to cut checks for the south endzone project in December. The completion of that project is in trouble at this rate.

39 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

What I want to happen:
Fire Herman this week
Hire Urban within 2 weeks

What I think will happen:
Herman stays on through the end of season
We go 5-5 with 3 ugly wins against teams we should easily dominate
Herman fired end of season
Coaching search results in a lackluster hire that we try to get excited about
Lackluster new coach hires his mediocre buddies to fill out the staff
2023 rinse and repeat

The last 10 years have conditioned me to expect the worst, until the powers that be prove otherwise. I hope I’m one day wrong.

Outside of Urban, I have told myself repeatedly I will not fall into this trap.  If CDC hires a non-P5 level coach, or a P5 coach that hasn't won a conference ever or in the last 10 years, I will not be excited until they prove me otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

Point is you shouldn't be 2 plays away from beating TCU and the shittiest OU team in recent memory. You should mudhole these teams and he lost. Nothings changed. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

You know he's doing his due diligence and probably finds Texas very enticing. Smart coaches don't want to make things any harder than they have to be. We have a relatively easy path to the playoff. We underperform relative to our resources and talent on hand. He probably is even aware that Quinn Ewers is committed, so a path to a monster initial recruiting class is laid out.

cake is baked ?

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Maybe one of the reasons I'm hopeful on Urban is it feels like he's been dropping little hints that suggest he'd have interest here. Even just in the past few weeks he is on record saying he thinks Chris Ash was the best coaching upgrade made this off-season and that Texas has recruited well and has a strong roster but coaches are failing at development. Both of those comments seem to hint that he sees a ton of opportunity at Texas that is not being managed well.

Then again, I'm probably just reading into this what I want to hear.

That's my read too, but maybe I'm drinking the same Kool-aid.

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

From OB:

We may not be that dumb.  Fire him now.

I received multiple messages from sources this weekend saying the athletic department has lost at least $25 million in pledges in the past two weeks. That number may not be 100 percent accurate, but longtime fans are withholding their financial support.

By the way, Del Conte expected several donors to cut checks for the south endzone project in December. The completion of that project is in trouble at this rate.

This brings me to a post I had earlier.. most of us season ticket holders were expecting an increase next season because of the project.. but how can CDC justify an increase with with what’s being played on the field? He has to be hoping somehow we make a big 12 championship game.

5 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

They wouldnt have to learn any new systems if TH got fired. The staff and systems would still be here with an interim HC. We'd surely "miss" his meddling on O. And hopefully he takes whatever the fuck we're doing on special teams with him.

1 minute ago, Texas7 said:

This brings me to a post I had earlier.. most of us season ticket holders were expecting an increase next season because of the project.. but how can CDC justify an increase with with what’s being played on the field? 

Meh.  I'm sure Patterson will sell him an Excel schedule with all sorts of blended bullshit in it. .

8 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Firing him midseason buys you time with players and recruits. If you wait until after the season and bowl, most of 2021 recruits will have signed and much of our team could transfer. 

1 minute ago, B00M said:

They wouldnt have to learn any new systems if TH got fired. The staff and systems would still be here with an interim HC. We'd surely "miss" his meddling on O. And hopefully he takes whatever the fuck we're doing on special teams with him.

.. and expose whoever Texas targets to constant badgering and questions for who knows how long.

trying to feed an emotional need instead of being smart about this is the wrong thing to do.

23 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Ohio State was built and running fine under Tressel. Their record under interim coach Fickel had nothing to do with a talent or culture problem. 

Yeah.  We really can't compare the current Texas situation to what Urban walked into at Ohio State.  Tressel had 5 Top-5 finishes in his last 6 seasons.  Texas has done that once in its history.

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Firing him midseason buys you time with players and recruits. If you wait until after the season and bowl, most of 2021 recruits will have signed and much of our team could transfer. 

No it doesn’t, unless you can simultaneously bring in the new coach. If you don’t have a coach, then you’re dead in the water and no one that’s any good is committing to your school or staying committed. It’s not any better than keeping Herman as it relates to recruiting. 

One thing to keep in mind.  Urban was hired at tOSU with an interim coach in place.  He already has experience in how to navigate this type of transition.  This is a very easy answer.  There is a quick way to stop be bleeding.  At this point, the season is in the toilet.  With early signing period and the transfer portal, there needs to be something for recruits, players, and coaches to look forward to.  Also, with Herman failing expectations this year 4 games, right now every coach is calling their agent trying to get something lined up.  Not only has Herman lost the team, he’s now going to have to deal with assistant coaches that have one foot out the door.  I’m sure Yurcich is very happy about being thrown under the bus today.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

You fire him now because he has lost the locker room and the transfer portal looms, not to mention this recruiting class is already a transition class. A coach getting fired at least stops the bleeding somewhat, it wont be like when we got rid of Charlie because all the players love Charlie. Even Sam hates Herman. You cut them now, see if the coordinators are worth retaining and then make Urban Meyer say no

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Guess they  have to weigh if they’re going to lose more money from the pandemic + paying TH to gtfo or if they’ll lose more in the long run to a continued shitty on field product causing boosters to say lol fuck this and a completely tanked two years of recruiting by not firing him sooner. I’m leaning towards the latter.

edit: this is all assuming we have an Urban level hire already lined up before firing him, which I doubt.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Hot scoop guys!  I have a plumber at my house right now and his friends mom is a "big, huge donor" and he just texted that all the donors were told herman is out.  case closed!

We should hire her for AD.  She sounds better than the current one.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

No it doesn’t, unless you can simultaneously bring in the new coach. If you don’t have a coach, then you’re dead in the water and no one that’s any good is committing to your school or staying committed. It’s not any better than keeping Herman as it relates to recruiting. 

But might be with the transfer portal. Keeping Herman who consistently keeps blaming the players for his failings only pushes them close and closer to that portal. Not like anyone actually likes the fucker

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This just seems a like a shit-load of wishcasting at this point.   I can't see any way, short of a Charlie Strong type season finish, that they don't find some reason to let Tom hang around for another season.  Thats just the way shit works here. 

I look at our remaining schedule and I only see one win on paper, Kansas, and I'm not too sure about that considering what happened last season. 

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas