Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

37 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Bill Belichick ?  Nah.  I don’t think he would be able to win at Texas.  This conference has too many high powered offenses and he just isnt strong enough on defense for us.  The only answer is Urban.  He would be the perfect hire and if we aren’t willing to pony up then CDC should just tell all the fans of the Longhorns that the goal is to win 6 games a year and go to a crappy bowl game because that is the best we can do with Herman.  I am tired of being a laughingstock in football and basketball.  Our academics are no better than a lot of state universities and they all seem to be able to field competent programs in those two sports.  

Share your sources or get the fuck out of here.

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Updated - So if we were to break this down into tiers:

God Tier:

Urban Meyer

Tier 2:

Dan Mullens

James Franklin

Bryan Harsin

Mario Cristobal

Gus Malzhan

Tier 3:

Tony Elliot

Billy Napier

Josh Heupel

David Shaw

Luke Fickell

I would add Chris Petersen to the list.

If Urban doesn't work out, I would be open to Patterson because he knows the conference, knows Texas, and is a very good coach, especially where we have struggled (fundamentals).

But if both Urban and Gary Patterson are out, at some point I'd rather keep Herman in place until we find the right person than take a risk and end up with another Charlie Strong (or worse) for several years.

3 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

If Urban doesn't work out, I would be open to Patterson because he knows the conference, knows Texas, and is a very good coach, especially where we have struggled (fundamentals).

But if both Urban and Gary Patterson are out, at some point I'd rather keep Herman in place until we find the right person than take a risk and end up with another Charlie Strong (or worse) for several years.

Lol. TCU has been worse than we have the past 3 years. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

God Tier:

Urban Meyer

Tier 2:

Dan Mullens

James Franklin

Bryan Harsin

Mario Cristobal

Gus Malzhan

Tier 3:

Tony Elliot

Billy Napier

Josh Heupel

David Shaw

Luke Fickell

I'd add Fleck in Tier 2 

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

I'm on the Urban train.  But I would perfectly be fine with Patterson if Urban says no.  He would actually compete for conference championships with a Jr/Sr roster.  

The problem is, that fat fuck hates us for passing on him twice.  He makes a fuck ton of money at TCU, they worship him, and he loves to watch our program fail.  

7 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

there is a statistically better chance that I will get a rim job from salma hayek before sunrise on tuesday than there is of gary patterson taking a job at UT.  don’t be such fucking idiots. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I'll play along.

First, I'm all in on Meyer. I'm irrationally convinced this whole thing, down to Ash and Yurcich hirings, set us up perfectly for this to happen. But he very well could tell us no, so...

Had a conversation with someone earlier today about who is realistic if we can't get Urban, and if there's no one clearly better would we actually just keep Herman as the devil we know. I'm not a huge fan of his style as a person, but I'll submit Gary Patterson for consideration.

Reasons for:
He knows the conference and how to defend it.
He punches above his weight (joke fully intended) in recruiting and is solid with talent/fit evaluations.
While it used to be a fault, these days he has been proactive with his coaching staff changes where needed to address deficiencies.
His teams are the anti texas - they play above their recruiting rankings and compete against better athletes due to excellent fundamentals and scouting/scheme.
He's won conferences before where he had talent parity or advantage, and only hasn't when he has a clear athlete disadvantage.
He has a good working relationship with cdc which can't hurt.

Reasons against:
He looks, sweats, and complains like a third trimester pregnant woman.

Again, I'm all in on Meyer, but if he's a no, we could do worse than Patterson.

I don’t see his country music album on your list.  So is that a “for” or “against”?

Edited by jinx

38 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Share your sources or get the fuck out of here.

Share what sources.  What I meant was there are other public universities like Michigan, Florida, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Virginia that seem to figure out a way to have decent sports programs and are very good on the academics side also.  The whole attitude that Texas is too good for a coach like Urban Meyer is laughable.  

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:

James Franklin intrigues me. What he did at vandy was impressive, especially considering the door mat that they are in football.

I agree.  He has one of the things l like.  built success at 2 P5 programs.  It wasn't a flash in the pan at one school, it wasn't just one player.  he did it twice in P5 conference playing big boys.   

Its too bad we took Charlie because I think he was on the list when we did.

I know there was an issue at vandy but IMO if we can't get Meyer he's probably my second call.  Harsin might be 3rd but he's a much bigger question mark due to competition.

Harsin has a decent record at Boise, but it isn’t as good as Peterson’s, and Peterson was just ok at Washington.  So I have my doubts he would be a significant upgrade.  

But I’m so pessimistic right now that I figure Urban will have a heart attack and die on the field his first year if he coaches here.  

3 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
34 minutes ago, ztejas said:
Lol. TCU has been worse than we have the past 3 years. 

In 2017 they did better than we did. In 2018 and 2019 they were slightly worse. And in 2020 we're about the same so far. But it sounds like he wouldn't come here anyway.

Just curious what you think Patterson's record against OU is. 

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

God Tier:

Urban Meyer

Tier 2:

Dan Mullens

James Franklin

Bryan Harsin

Mario Cristobal

Gus Malzhan

Tier 3:

Tony Elliot

Billy Napier

Josh Heupel

David Shaw

Luke Fickell

Matt Campbell is probably the second most likely guy to get hired after Urban and he’s not on either of your lists.

Also, everything after Urban is thoroughly depressing. Either guys with known issues or total question marks. And Shaw should be in tier 50. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Urban Meyer took an Ohio State team that went 6-7 in 2011 and went 13-0 in 2012. Good coaches instill a good culture and get results right away. If you're still working to create a disciplined culture on and off the field in year 4 of your tenure, you should be held accountable as the head coach. I understand comparing one of the GOAT College Coaches to Tom fucking Herman is comparing apples and orange, but there's NO excuse for these results with the best roster we've had since 2009.

Your right about good coaches, fOSU wasn’t a 6-7 roster that Urban inherited.   It’s harder to win with 4-5* than with 2-3* if you’re not a great coach.  

All the high stars think they are NFL talents and don’t handle adversity well, they need someone strong to keep them in check.

The low star guys know they are lucky to still be playing ball and play each game like it’s their last.   That will rarely overcome a superior team that’s clicking, but often works when they are poorly coached and in disarray. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Matt Campbell is probably the second most likely guy to get hired after Urban and he’s not on either of your lists.

Also, everything after Urban is thoroughly depressing. Either guys with known issues or total question marks. And Shaw should be in tier 50. 

Thank you, Shaw being on any list here is laughable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

I agree.  He has one of the things l like.  built success at 2 P5 programs.  It wasn't a flash in the pan at one school, it wasn't just one player.  he did it twice in P5 conference playing big boys.   

Its too bad we took Charlie because I think he was on the list when we did.

I know there was an issue at vandy but IMO if we can't get Meyer he's probably my second call.  Harsin might be 3rd but he's a much bigger question mark due to competition.

What has James Franklin ever won?

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas