Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

Yeah, but Herm is going to win.  I know it.
Herman prepares his teams well when he feels his back is against the wall.

Unfortunately, the dynamics of this season are such that his back is against the wall (or mirror, depending on your perspective) for the remainder of the season.

I think that makes things very likely that he'll win every game until the ccg. For that game, he might feel validated and go back to crappy preparation, or it might not matter bc the opponent might just be better and more prepared.

I really hope it doesn't take that long for the next loss, but it wouldn't surprise me. Fridays game is the most losable we have left, and we've had weeks to rest and prepare. I won't be surprised at all if we win, even though isu is objectively better than tcu.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

and we've had weeks to rest and prepare. I won't be surprised at all if we win, even though isu is objectively better than tcu.

There were 2 weeks that passed, then this week. The first week being a bye week, I dunno. I figure they were prepping for the next game until it was called off. Then who knows when after that they started to look ahead to ISU.

Hoping Friday isn’t postponed. 

As bad as this wait seems to be, it could easily be worse...how about...we win next three games and ccg is cancelled because COVID, or we lose ccg by going to ot, and herm comes back.  

Entire process could have a year added....because a bunch of new starters next year, expectations lower, we finish 8-4.  

How small would crowds be next year? 

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

As bad as this wait seems to be, it could easily be worse...how about...we win next three games and ccg is cancelled because COVID, or we lose ccg by going to ot, and herm comes back.  

Entire process could have a year added....because a bunch of new starters next year, expectations lower, we finish 8-4.  

How small would crowds be next year? 

I do not have a good feeling about Friday's game. 

1 hour ago, nunna yo bizness said:

If we fuck up this chance I don't care if TH stays or goes.  We'd just make yet another underwhelming hire and rinse and repeat history.  There's too much going on in life for me to obsess over a second rate program that can't get out of their own way to realize their potential.  My interest has already been fading for a number of years, and if we don't get it right this time with UM I don't think I'm going to really care much anymore anyway.

this is how we wander the desert for 20 years, until we find the bottle with a little lightning in it. 

Yeah, I’ll pass. Time to nut up or shut up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It has been speculated that the answer to the thread title's question is that del Conte only required of #MensaTom that he must win the CC. In that case, CDC has not fired him yet because there is still a chance it may happen.

I have recently heard a counter-argument that CDC has a fiduciary duty to UT, which outweighs his notional duty to himself to keep his word, and that it is quite arguable that the duty absolutely falls on the side of eliminating the current, proven mediocre, coach in favor of the all-time great listed coach currently regaling America with his knowledge of the game, and who is available this very day.

CDC, make the calls. Preferably today, but we can wait until Black Friday if necessary. Do it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

It has been speculated that the answer to the thread title's question is that del Conte only required of #MensaTom that he must win the CC. In that case, CDC has not fired him yet because there is still a chance it may happen.

I have recently heard a counter-argument that CDC has a fiduciary duty to UT, which outweighs his notional duty to himself to keep his word, and that it is quite arguable that the duty absolutely falls on the side of eliminating the current, proven mediocre, coach in favor of the all-time great listed coach currently regaling America with his knowledge of the game, and who is available this very day.

CDC, make the calls. Preferably today, but we can wait until Black Friday if necessary. Do it.

From your lips to gods ears.

If he waits till Black Friday, does is come cheaper?

2 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

If he waits till Black Friday, does is come cheaper?

You know, it actually might.

On further reflection, it almost certainly be net cheaper, in that brand sales featuring Urban would skyrocket that much quicker.

Edited by Tex Long
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

If Texas gives a shit about its football program, it will hire Urban. The program has been bad for a decade. There is a HOF coach available. It is simple. That's how you get out of your own way. Despite all the bullshit articles you may read or the wishcasting from fans of other schools, there is nothing about Texas that prevents it from winning - Texas wins when it has good coaches and doesn't when it has bad coaches - other than the degree to which it prioritizes winning.

If Texas won't replace its obviously mediocre coach with Urban Meyer because Herman happens to win a few games against - seriously - Baylor and West Virginia and Iowa State and the Kansas schools...well, then Texas isn't really all that concerned about its football program, and we probably shouldn't be either. 

Herman will always be mediocre. Meyer will be great. If Texas chooses mediocre over great...well, at least we know what to expect and can set our expectations accordingly. 

This is THE question that needs to be answered..     

Just thinking off the top of my head about programs who had a period of mediocrity or down right sucked after being on top for a period and it seems like they only tolerated that suckage for a short period... less than five seasons.

Bama hired Saban.

Ohio State hired Urban after the Tressel era scandals threten to take that program down for awhile.

LSU has been like a roller coaster but still has to Nattys since the start of the century

I know UGA doesn't have the hardware, but shit they are still winning 10-11 games per season ...

So to say it straight out...  The evidence suggest we don't give a shit.  

If we lose Friday, let's hope this is proven wrong by this time next week.   CDC will be on the clock and his support from the Big Cigars and we want bee Big Cigars and 2%'ers is on the line. If he screws this up, he and Steve Paterson should be tarred and feathered for the decade of mediocrity we've "enjoyed" this decade. 

31 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Just thinking off the top of my head about programs who had a period of mediocrity or down right sucked after being on top for a period and it seems like they only tolerated that suckage for a short period... less than five seasons.

Bama hired Saban.

Ohio State hired Urban after the Tressel era scandals threten to take that program down for awhile.

LSU has been like a roller coaster but still has to Nattys since the start of the century

I know UGA doesn't have the hardware, but shit they are still winning 10-11 games per season ...

So to say it straight out...  The evidence suggest we don't give a shit.  

If we lose Friday, let's hope this is proven wrong by this time next week.   CDC will be on the clock and his support from the Big Cigars and we want bee Big Cigars and 2%'ers is on the line. If he screws this up, he and Steve Paterson should be tarred and feathered for the decade of mediocrity we've "enjoyed" this decade. 

Does the evidence really suggest that we don't give a shit?  If we didn't give a shit, Mack never would have been fired.  The evidence suggests to me that we definitely give a shit, but that we have made poor choices when hiring football coaches. 

Also, some of you act as though Meyer doesn't have a say in the matter, and that if he is not the coach next season, then CDC fucked it up.  This isn't The Godfather.  No one is making an offer to Meyer that he can't refuse.  Every hire that CDC has made has been great.  If the time is right to replace Herman with someone better, then I have every confidence that CDC will get the job done.  Nothing that he has done while he has been here makes me think he is likely to fuck up anything. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Royal started coaching at Texas 64 years ago. He’s the last (only?) elite football coach we’ve had. It’s been a long fucking time. So no, for the most part I don’t think the university cares too much about the football program.

58 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Royal started coaching at Texas 64 years ago. He’s the last (only?) elite football coach we’ve had. It’s been a long fucking time. So no, for the most part I don’t think the university cares too much about the football program.

But if that was the case, wouldn't we be playing/practicing in  shit facilities and recruiting Alaska instead of our own backyard?

idigtexas probably has it somewhat correct now that I read his response. We somewhat give a shit... we demand accountability..  we fire and hire and rinse a repeat.    The person in the AD's office is even more critical in process and this is where we've lacked as noted with the rinse/repeat cycle we've been in now it seems like forever.  DeLoss Dodds was able to keep his position because he hung his hat  on the whole athletic program winning conference and national championships  which was fine for many of the blue bloods and big cigs.    He kissed their asses and they rewarded him with not putting the thumb on scales to get rid of him because of the sorry sack of shit our football program was from the mid 80's to the late 90's with a handful of good season in there.   Many of the blue blood and big cigs from that era have died off or are too old to be active , so this begs the question?  Who are the newbies who hold CDC accountable?   And are they not a patient as those who allowed Deloss to stick around past his time?  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

If the time is right to replace Herman with someone better, then I have every confidence that CDC will get the job done.  Nothing that he has done while he has been here makes me think he is likely to fuck up anything. 

The time was right several weeks ago and there is a very good chance he has already fucked up the next couple of years by not doing his job then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

This isn't The Godfather.  No one is making an offer to Meyer that he can't refuse. 

Make Saban’s deal look like chicken shit. Fuck it. Back that brinks truck of oil money on up. 

By that, I mean make him say no and pull no punches.

Edited by thunderlounge

6 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I have unfortunately zero confidence that Texas will not fuck this up. I fully expect Herman to be back next year and my fandom of UT football has never been at a lower point.

This is true.  Those of you thinking we are firing Herman are living in fantasy land. Absent a loss to Kansas, he's here to stay.  

3 hours ago, Enchubben said:

The time was right several weeks ago and there is a very good chance he has already fucked up the next couple of years by not doing his job then.

If the time were right several weeks ago, it would have happened then.  Again, I have no reason to doubt CDC at this point.  Unless we find out later that Urban Meyer would have taken the job if it were offered several weeks ago, but CDC decided to wait to see how the season played out, resulting in Meyer taking another job, then I'll be happy to eat some crow.  Just because things aren't happening on your timetable doesn't mean that they aren't being done the way that they need to be.   

• Hook 'Em 1

The last couple of weekends we've seen Meyer grinning and head-ducking when Texas and Austin were brought into the conversations. Last week when he was asked pointedly about Austin, his reply was "I'm thinking about it."

I don't know how much more one needs, for the reality to sink in.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pope Joan said:

The last couple of weekends we've seen Meyer grinning and head-ducking when Texas and Austin were brought into the conversations. Last week when he was asked pointedly about Austin, his reply was "I'm thinking about it."

I don't know how much more one needs, for the reality to sink in.

Point taken, but I have to call out that the "quote" you reference is framed out of context. That was his reply to Brady asking if Austin was going to Meyer's pick for the "best college town" bit.

1 minute ago, derpyhorndog said:

Point taken, but I have to call out that the "quote" you reference is framed out of context. That was his reply to Brady asking if Austin was going to Meyer's pick for the "best college town" bit.

Are you pretending to be stupider than your screen name, or are you merely perverse?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pope Joan said:

Are you pretending to be stupider than your screen name, or are you merely perverse?

Oh, fuck right off. Simply clarifying the context for those in the audience that might not have watched the bit. Hell, there was an entire web article posted earlier in the thread that framed Urban's reply in a similar fashion (that he was thinking about whether to take the UT job). He was "thinking about" his best college town pick.

But agree with all of your other points - the shit-eating grin in response to Leinart, immediately shifting to head-ducking/being uncomfortable about the subject once remembering the cameras were rolling, etc. Signs are clear he is at the very least considering the job if it were to open (if not already discussing or even agreeing to terms in principle). 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas