Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

2 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

We do well to catch a lot of his shitty throws. Even the short passing game. Guys are constantly turned around. Completely ruins the design and intent of the play call.

I’d also like to know why he’s not pulling it more in the read option. He’s making some bad decisions there.

Do you need to “know why he’s not pulling it more in the read option”? Or will the concept that he’s got the football IQ of a dung beetle suffice? I think you know exactly why he’s doing stupid shit, but it’s a hard thing for us to admit as fans. I came to peace with it and I’ve been happier since. We have a functioning retard at QB, and our best hope is to keep him chained to the ball on offense as tightly as we can. 

11 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

insinuating that colt and sam are compatable is dumb as fuck. 

Not compatible.  They are both alphas.  Both will want to be pitcher.  It would never work out between them.

22 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

We do well to catch a lot of his shitty throws. Even the short passing game. Guys are constantly turned around. Completely ruins the design and intent of the play call.

I’d also like to know why he’s not pulling it more in the read option. He’s making some bad decisions there.

that's a good point on the rpo's. i often find myself wondering aloud if we are actually running an rpo with how often he misreads it and just hands it off to the rb despite the end crashing down.

The fragility of this fanbase.

2018 Texas got its first win one entire month earlier than 2017 Texas.  They won in Manhattan and beat TCU.

Sam Ehlinger is better and functioning within the role the coaches and offense asks him to do, but a lot is left to be desired. That’s okay. It is not bad. It is not great. 

The question becomes if a coach and true sophomore can improve over the course of that players career, and within the scope of the 2018 season with a huge rivalry game ahead. There’s a good amount of time considering the QB just recently cracked double digit appearances at Texas that progress to the former can benefit the latter

This thread is obviously where nuance goes to die, and where memories of elite years past come home to roost in the fixtures of the now. 

Edited by randygilman

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Did Maryland not happen this year? It fucking happened this month. Some people on this idiotic thread seem to believe that I Am Sam is all better now because because because. He’s fucking below average. 

Not one person in this thread, for at least 15 pages, has called for Buechele to play. This is a bad straw man argument from a really bad poster. This guy has landed on this board like a nuclear bomb of plaintive ineptitude. 

My opinion hasn’t changed since the beginning, you Lolinger apologist honk. Ehlinger is overrated mediocrity with a penchant for the fundamentally stupid. 

I plan on negging you every time I see you whining about rep. 

Not true, pompous blowhard fuckface.  More words in your retort, please.  More words = more effective argument.

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

We are going to ride Keontay Ingram, Todd Orlando, and QB power/draw all the way to 8-4 baby.

This feels pretty likely. I will never pick OU over Texas and I think we have a very real path to victory but I also haven't quite seen enough out of Sam to think he is going to be a big net positive against OU, @OSU, and WVU. Throw in  the chances of a mensa special against Tech or Baylor and 8-4 sounds about right. And that feels about right for the quality of this team.

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You do not have to announce yourself when you join threads. We all know when you crash land somewhere. 

Your performance in this thread is your mid-air crash with that banner-flying pilot you so proudly hired.  God I admire you.

I sure as hell would not have predicted 4-1 after Maryland.  8-4 sounds about right with a chance for more.  Sam not turning the ball over has been huge.  He is clearly inaccurate but has been managing the game better.  The defense will keep us in all our remaining games.  Sam must continue to manage the game and we need to clean up the penalties for success.  This is turning into a quality season and we are making strides to becoming a high quality team.  We still have long road filled with bumps, but we are going in the right direction.

• Like 3

I sure as hell would not have predicted 4-1 after Maryland.  8-4 sounds about right with a chance for more.  Sam not turning the ball over has been huge.  He is clearly inaccurate but has been managing the game better.  The defense will keep us in all our remaining games.  Sam must continue to manage the game and we need to clean up the penalties for success.  This is turning into a quality season and we are making strides to becoming a high quality team.  We still have long road filled with bumps, but we are going in the right direction.

Pretty much this.

8-9 wins seems very reasonable
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, randygilman said:

The fragility of this fanbase.

2018 Texas got its first win one entire month earlier than 2017 Texas.  They won in Manhattan and beat TCU.

Sam Ehlinger is better and functioning within the role the coaches and offense asks him to do, but a lot is left to be desired. That’s okay. It is not bad. It is not great. 

The question becomes if a coach and true sophomore can improve over the course of that players career, and within the scope of the 2018 season with a huge rivalry game ahead. There’s a good amount of time considering the QB just recently cracked double digit appearances at Texas that progress to the former can benefit the latter

This thread is obviously where nuance goes to die, and where memories of elite years past come home to roost in the fixtures of the now. 

this is hilarious. "this thread is obviously where nuance goes to die." says the guy chastising everyone who wants to actually go deeper than "but did we win the game?!?!?!" and actually critique the qb with any modicum of honesty. this is the thread where objectivity and the freedom to speak honestly about our qb goes to die. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

this is hilarious. "this thread is obviously where nuance goes to die." says the guy chastising everyone who wants to actually go deeper than "but did we win the game?!?!?!" and actually critique the qb with any modicum of honesty. this is the thread where objectivity and the freedom to speak honestly about our ab goes to die. 

You must not have finished reading after die because the last three pages have been you saying “HE’S NOT COLT.”

8 minutes ago, randygilman said:

You must not have finished reading after die because the last three pages have been you saying “HE’S NOT COLT.”

yeah, this is what's so hilarious and ironic about your post. wonderboy ztejas is the one who incessantly compared him to colt, not me. "colt had a bad sophomore year therefore ehlinger might become colt!" but of course understanding that type of nuance is lost on this thread, right? clearly.

In 8 drives, Sam led 4 that were scoring drives. One miss FG and another kneel down to close it out in scoring position aren't his fault. He is a mediocre passer, he has a history of bad decision making, and I admit I wanted Shane to start after Maryland. But he's played better football the last 4 weeks than at any point in his career. It's a weird time for this thread to take off like it has. Just shows how bad people really really want to be right on the internet. Both sides of the argument have gone off the rails with hyperbole, per usual. Which is why I love this website. It's not a negative, it's entertaining. 

• Like 3

can you quote any of this hyperbole from the people who still aren't just completely in love with sam? because i've seen the heisman talk, i've seen the "second best qb in the league talk", and while all of that is ridiculous hyperbole, i haven't seen the same from anyone over in this side of the fence. there's no need for it over here; dealing in facts is more than enough for this side of the argument. he's inaccurate; he has a history of poor decision making; he has a history of costly turnovers at the worst time; he is a wholly mediocre qb who, as merril hoge would say, "Texas doesn't highlight their qb, they hide him." Sam Ehlinger isn't out here winning us games, he's out here not losing them. acknowledging all of this does not constitute hyperbole, it's just realism. it's the sunshine pumping fanbois who are going so ridiculously over the top in their defense of the hometown hero.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

Just now, Goo Punch said:

can you quote any of this hyperbole from the people who still aren't just completely in love with sam? because i've seen the heisman talk, i've seen the "second best qb in the league talk", and while all of that is ridiculous hyperbole, i haven't seen the same from anyone over in this side of the fence. there's no need for it over here. he's inaccurate; he has a history of poor decision making; he has a history of costly turnovers at the worst time; he is a wholly mediocre qb who, as merril hoge would say, "Texas doesn't highlight their qb, they hide him." Sam Ehlinger isn't out here winning us games, he's out here not losing them. acknowledging all of this does not constitute hyperbole, it's just realism. it's the sunshine pumping fanbois who are going so ridiculously over the top in their defense of the hometown hero.

You're correct in why he is defended. I'm not even arguing the points you've made today, and despite what you think, I wasn't referring to you specifically. Except the really really want to be correct part. That's for sure you. I dig you man, you keep things interesting. 

27 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

can you quote any of this hyperbole from the people who still aren't just completely in love with sam? because i've seen the heisman talk, i've seen the "second best qb in the league talk", and while all of that is ridiculous hyperbole, i haven't seen the same from anyone over in this side of the fence. there's no need for it over here; dealing in facts is more than enough for this side of the argument. he's inaccurate; he has a history of poor decision making; he has a history of costly turnovers at the worst time; he is a wholly mediocre qb who, as merril hoge would say, "Texas doesn't highlight their qb, they hide him." Sam Ehlinger isn't out here winning us games, he's out here not losing them. acknowledging all of this does not constitute hyperbole, it's just realism. it's the sunshine pumping fanbois who are going so ridiculously over the top in their defense of the hometown hero.

God y'all need to give it a rest and learn to read. There is no Heisman talk - there never was any. In fact, let's look at what I actually wrote so you can shut up about it.

Please tell me which of you disagree with this statement, unless you honestly think a quarterback playing for a hypothetical 11-1 Texas team won't gain national attention. 

If we beat OU we will be at minimum #8 in the country. If we run the table past that point until the B12 CG, our starting quarterback will definitely have his hat thrown in the ring. 

Reminder that D'onta Foreman finished in the top 10 of voting for one of the shittiest teams in our program's history. 

Edited by ztejas

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

OU had the Belldozer, we have the Ehldozer. But you'll have to refresh my memory as to which year it was that Blake Bell was a Heisman candidate.

Blake Bell never started for OU for any meaningful stretch of time. There was this guy called Landry Jones.  Christ you know jack shit about half the things you try and talk about. 

Also here let's take a look at the Heisman watch through week 5:

Tua Tagovailoa QB Alabama Soph. 7 1 0 2 0 43
Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State Soph. 0 5 3 2 0 33
Will Grier QB West Virginia Sr. 1 3 5 0 0 32
Kyler Murray QB Oklahoma Jr. 1 1 2 4 0 26
Ed Oliver DT Houston Jr. 1 0 0 0 1 6
Benny Snell Jr. RB Kentucky Jr. 0 0 0 0 3 3
Justin Herbert QB Oregon Jr. 0 0 0 0 2 2
Trace McSorley QB Penn State Sr. 0 0 0 1 0 2
Alan Bowman QB Texas Tech Fr. 0 0 0 0 1 1
Eric Dungey QB Syracuse Sr. 0 0 0 0 1 1
Jonathan Taylor RB Wisconsin Soph. 0 0 0 0 1 1

Note there are 3 B12 Quarterbacks already on there - playing for 3 teams that Texas will play this year. 

One of them is a freshman playing for Tech. But yeah, there's no way Ehlinger could creep onto this list as a honorable mention. /s

Edited by ztejas

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

If we beat OU Sam is a Heisman contender this year you dolt 

"there is no heisman talk. there never was."

jesus you are are the worst. but i guess that's just the laws of nature. rocko decides not to make the move over to surly, so naturally someone else has to come along and fill the vacancy. "he's a heisman contender if we win next week... nobody said anything about the heisman!"

7 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

jesus you are are the worst. but i guess that's just the laws of nature. rocko decides not to make the move over to surly, so naturally someone else has to come along and fill the vacancy. "he's a heisman contender if we win next week... nobody said anything about the heisman!"

You barely know what the word "if" means but I understand that thinking critically about potential future events can be hard. texags might be more your pace. 

Alexa, define contender: 

a person or group competing with others to achieve something.

Edited by ztejas

8 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Also love how when you say stupid shit like "Blake Bell was never in the Heisman race lol" and then someone points it out to you you are apparently completely absolved of any idiocy, yet you still get hung up on posts I made last night after a bottle of wine like 150 posts ago. 

Again, go find a stump to argue to. Your line of thinking is so ripe with fallacy it's embarrassing. 

57 minutes ago, Aces_Full said:

Can’t wait for Roshon Johnson to enroll in Dec, and finally have a dynamic QB running the show.

Sam is a tough kid, just not the answer.  Could u imagine him starting at Alabama or Ohio St, or any other elite program?  Me either.   

Rising would like a word with you.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

So, for context, Sam gets an award (weekly thing) from the Davey O'Brien people. His QB rating is sixth in the conference at 139.7. Colt's career rating was 155, by comparison. The soon to be ded Chipmunk currently has a rating of 231 with an average of just under 14ypa.

Here are a certain poster's comments about Sam.

I think he's got a football IQ below that of a banana slug, and he's a loser with the game on the line

Sam Ehlinger is a classic football moron. It is no wonder Tim Beck and Herman love him. They’re all losers.

The idea that Ehlinger has either been throwing a pretty ball or been more accurate is based on the foundation that the starting point mattered. 

I assume Hermeh will fall for it, and ask Mr. Potatohead to throw the ball like 45 times. 

Sam Ehlinger “plays the game “ the way you post on this board - aggressively yet without a hint of a fucking clue. 

We’re about to be blown out again by a team with less talent and far superior coaching. I’m going with 3 turnovers by Ehlinger in the first half. 

qI didn't find the quotes about "I Am Sam" and "functional retard".

And for the final piece de resistance:

My opinion hasn’t changed since the beginning, you Lolinger apologist honk. Ehlinger is overrated mediocrity with a penchant for the fundamentally stupid. 

Look, I don't love or hate his game. He's obviously got bigly room for improvement. But he's also gotten a lot better, is "pretty accurate" (this set off a bunch of people, but I stand by that bold statement), got an award, and the knuckle dragging announcers were comparing him to Tebow. Oh and he's winning games, which was CTJ's complaint, that he is a loser with the game on the line.

Sam has literally done none of those things CTJ predicted, and CTJ maintains that his opinion hasn't changed. But the facts have. The dude is winning games and getting (minor) awards. CTJ predicted 3 INT's, Sam threw ZERO. CTJ should admit he was wrong, because he was. And is. He is being completely unreasonable. When the facts change, you should change your mind. 

Sam is a competent game manager. 

Between CTJ and Derka talking about slurping Sam's weiner, this thread is Derka'd all to hell. Why does everyone act like third grade girls here?

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, XYZ said:

What’s funny about this thread is that it keeps on going but there’s really nothing to argue about.

That has never stopped surly from throwing hair trigger internet haymakers and escalating hyperbole. It is what makes this place such a loving and healthy place for Texas fans.

1 hour ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

In 8 drives, Sam led 4 that were scoring drives. One miss FG and another kneel down to close it out in scoring position aren't his fault. 

What? The offense scored 10 points. One TD on a great effort catch by Johnson on a bad throw and a FG. He didn't lead 4 scoring drives. 

The other points were by the defense and special teams. 

3 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Exactly.

There's only 1 question that's valid right now.  IS our best chance of winning right now with Sam as QB?

If your only chance of winning with this QB is if your defense can dominate the opposing offense to the tune of giving up less than 20 points to offenses that regularly put up 30+ then I'd say no. Although the alternatives may be just as bad as Ehlinger so it may not even matter, but by not giving them game time to find out we just don't know. 

The line has been plus in pass pro and good in run game. Ingram averaged 6.8 per carry but only got 10 carries for some stupid reason. LJH is one of the best/ most talented receivers in the conference. So is Johnson. There's zero excuse for an offense this inept. 

Edited by Junior Miller

Just now, Aces_Full said:

I’m sure Rising is a nice prospect, but Roshon is a game breaker.  Wait & see. 

Next year. Kinda agy. 

Why not Thompson, this year, this coming Saturday? He must have some kinda attitude toward 0U to blow off his dad's Alamo Master and sign on with their biggest rival. 

• Haha 1