The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

7 minutes ago, Nivek said:

That guy and his peers vote.  The young man and his peers do not.  

4 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

IMG_2393.thumb.png.679fb7f6a474bb41c3342310f524aa7d.png

I thought I would drop this day brighter. That’s 1 million olds no longer pushing the lever.

We know that old voters are chronic voters, we know that old voters vote in a percentage greater than any other demographic, and we know that old voters tend to vote for Trump.   I see no reason to assume that those deaths spared battleground states -  so those numbers may become relevant in November of this year.

I posted this in another thread, but maybe relevant to your accurate comment

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Nivek said:

That guy and his peers vote.  The young man and his peers do not.  

Taylor Swift needs 1-2 Twitter posts to seal a swing state or two.  Hope she does just that.  Timing isn’t right currently but it could happen and would be glorious seeing the olds/incels lose their shit (and the election).  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Just now, longhornmatt said:

As stupid as the clips are, they really show you people who are so beholden to arriving at an end result (Republican/Trump good!  Must.Defend.Trump.) that they knowingly disregard truth and logic.  They will shamelessly reverse themselves and twist themselves into any pretzel, no matter how absurd.

The real question isn’t why are they so stupid, how did education fail them.  It’s how they became so corrupted and why they have so little self-respect.  What makes someone not feel any shame over making a fool of themselves to defend the indefensible?  What makes someone abandon all values other than “I must obey some fucking politician I’ve never met who doesn’t give a shit about me and treat anything he does like it’s coming from the messiah.”  

The defining trait is that they’re pathetic, not stupid.

Definitely a ‘why not both?’ situation.  You have to be pathetic and stupid.  If you’re just pathetic you wouldn’t do these interviews.  The people caught w their pants down are clearly not just pathetic.  There’s plenty of those that will pull the lever for Dotard but hide their allegiance.  

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I think I remember a deleted scene in "Platoon" where they frag'd the guy with bad feet for being a liability to the unit.  

You're right.  It comes after the burning of the village and killing for which Barnes was to be court martialed. Elias shoots the guy. Barnes and Elias put their differences aside briefly for an awkward late 60s high five.  

6 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

The defining trait is doublethink. Or, as Orwell put it, believing that 2+2=5.

Most people think 1984 is all about surveillance and loss of freedom under Big Brother. But, it is doublethink that props up Big Brother, the propaganda, and the entire totalitarian system. And doublethink is all over American culture, hence the rise in fascism and authoritarianism and overall idiocy.

Doublethink is the cognitive ability to hold two contradictory beliefs and think both are true at the same time. Rather than feel shame, the doublethinker feels pride in knowing they can cognitively stand astride reality and believe falsehoods are truth. They have to believe that to avoid guilt and shame. That's why MAGA-GQP is impervious to facts and logic. That's why MAGA-GQP always feels superior to everyone, especially any intellectuals -- elitist, educator, leftist, scientist, philosopher, etc... -- who might demand consistency. The media will never demand that in any rigorous manner.

It is doublethink -- and the ability to get away with all over the media/cultural landscape -- that empowers MAGA-GQP-Christian theocrats. It's one thing to show the funny hypocrisy, but no one will really press them on the doublethink as a form of madness.

Orwell knew doublethink was madness. That the ultimate warning in 1984.

OrwellDthink.jpg

To add to this, there are a lot of “smart” and seemingly “rational” people (hello in laws) that are right on the edge of this. They know what they are doing is wrong, but if they can just justify it a tiny bit to push them over the edge, they’ll vote Dotard again. It’s crazy to watch. They just tip toe along the edge, but as we get closer to November , it’s going to be harder for them to hold back. Especially once the CARAVANS! and such start coming on the “news”. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Wonder if she will bring the Romney back… 

Either way I’m optimistic her replacement will be more incompetent and vile. 

Perfect.  I can’t believe Trump hasn’t proposed renaming the R party the Trump party.  Let’s go all in.  Wipe out his legal debt w party funds.  Then build up more legal debt…rinse and repeat.  Glorious.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

The defining trait is doublethink. Or, as Orwell put it, believing that 2+2=5.

Most people think 1984 is all about surveillance and loss of freedom under Big Brother. But, it is doublethink that props up Big Brother, the propaganda, and the entire totalitarian system. And doublethink is all over American culture, hence the rise in fascism and authoritarianism and overall idiocy.

I haven't read 1984 in decades.  I need to fix that.

• Hook 'Em 2

Doublethink huh? 

How about this? What if I told you that it's a self defense mechanism?

Surprisingly, IPC has been found to intensify, not abate, as the members of the public become more proficient in the forms of critical reasoning essential to science comprehension (Giner-Sorolla, & Chaiken 1997; Kahan 2016).  Numeracy is an aptitude to reason well with quantitative information and to draw appropriate inferences from data (Peters et al. 2006). Thus, the individuals who are highest in numeracy are the best able to recognize whether evidence from a controlled experiment displays the pattern of covariance that supports or negates a hypothesis—unless that evidence relates to a politically charged issue (e.g., gun control).  In that case (Figure 2), the most numerate people are even more likely than the least numerate ones to construe such evidence as supporting the factual beliefs that prevail among people who share their political identity no matter what its true import (Kahan, Peters, Dawson & Slovic 2017). 

IPC= Identity-Protective Cognition

Note that the ones that dig in the hardest are the more Numerate ones. 

At all costs defend the con, because they can't bear to be outside of the group.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3046603

Edited by cactusflinthead

On 2/26/2024 at 3:38 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You could likely find a similar case for numerous senators and congressmen. The lack of transparency in campaign finance has been egregiously exploited by bad actors.  

Samuel Alito says we don’t need no stinkin’ transparency.

22 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

FIL trotted this out when the wife and I were talking about going to NYC this year.  Good to see he's still getting the talking points.  I then explained how we just got back from downtown San Francisco and weren't murdered or stabbed with needles or walking through piles of shit.  He was flabbergasted.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

FIL trotted this out when the wife and I were talking about going to NYC this year.  Good to see he's still getting the talking points.  I then explained how we just got back from downtown San Francisco and weren't murdered or stabbed with needles or walking through piles of shit.  He was flabbergasted.

That is my Dad to a tee. He was an airline pilot and talks about how much safer NYC was when he used to have layovers there and he would bring along me or my mom for visits to the city. This was the late 80s/early 90s, the absolute height of violent crime in NYC (and every other city in the US). "I wouldn't even step foot there today," he says (facepalm).

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Rage+1 4

It's considered common knowledge that when you venture into a town where the buildings touch, that Huggy Bear will sidle up and talk to you in jive while his compatriots pick your pocket and give your children free samples of loco weed.

Best to stay out on the edge of things like Daniel Boone, if Boone circled the Sam's Club parking lot looking for a space near the door.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

That is my Dad to a tee. He was an airline pilot and talks about how much safer NYC was when he used to have layovers there and he would bring along me or my mom for visits to the city. This was the late 80s/early 90s, the absolute height of violent crime in NYC (and every other city in the US). "I wouldn't even step foot there today," he says (facepalm).

You should tell him, “And you wanna be my latex salesman!”

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

It's considered common knowledge that when you venture into a town where the buildings touch, that Huggy Bear will sidle up and talk to you in jive while his compatriots pick your pocket and give your children free samples of loco weed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

On 2/25/2024 at 1:02 PM, longhornmatt said:

As stupid as the clips are, they really show you people who are so beholden to arriving at an end result (Republican/Trump good!  Must.Defend.Trump.) that they knowingly disregard truth and logic.  They will shamelessly reverse themselves and twist themselves into any pretzel, no matter how absurd.

The real question isn’t why are they so stupid, or how did education fail them.  It’s how they became so corrupted and why they have so little self-respect.  What makes someone not feel any shame over making a fool of themselves to defend the indefensible?  What makes someone abandon all values other than “I must obey some fucking politician I’ve never met who doesn’t give a shit about me and treat anything he does like it’s coming from the messiah.”  

The defining trait is that they’re pathetic, not stupid.

The fact that all these congress critters are so fuckin desperate to keep their seats should tell us they're being paid way too much for the amount of work most of them do. We should knock em down to minimum wage and then we'll see who really wants to serve. 

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

The fact that all these congress critters are so fuckin desperate to keep their seats should tell us they're being paid way too much for the amount of work most of them do. We should knock em down to minimum wage and then we'll see who really wants to serve. 

Unfortunately someone came up with the bright idea to let them set their own salaries. 

• Rage+1 2

6 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

Their salaries aren’t their primary sources of income…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1