The movie you just watched

F250

The Battered Bastards of Baseball - Story of the Portland Mavericks Single A independent team owned by actor Bing Russell. Really enjoyable story about a guy that loved baseball, but did things his own way and the fans loved it even if MLB did not.  On Netflix.

• Like 3

Old man and the Gun is more or less a homage to the career of Robert Redford similar to how The Shootist treated the career of John Wayne. Very sweet film and Redford does a great job. Apparently this will be the last film of his career and hats off to him. From Butch Cassidy to All the President's Man to the stuff he directed like Quiz Show, just a remarkable career. Heck even some of his latest stuff like All is Lost was absolutely spectacular. Sad to see he won't be in movies anymore.

Edited by deac_tracy

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:19 PM, DoneWithit said:

Just watched “A Bridge Too Far”(1977) and have to say it’s pretty good. While not a very violent war film compared to Saving Private Ryan or We Were Soldiers, it’s still good in that aspect. There’s great acting and if you like war films then I highly recommend it.  

Has a terrific scene in which an officer of the beleaguered British 2nd Parachute Battalion (in a response reminiscent of Brig. Gen. Anthony McAuliffe's response of "Nuts!" at Bastogne later that same year) makes a cheeky reply to a German demand for surrender.   The umbrella-carrying Brit officer in the movie was based on Major Digby Tatham-Warter (there cannot be a more British-sounding name in history), who was pretty much a badass.  Google his name and read up on how he bravely led his troops during this battle and then later escaped German custody after being captured.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:11 PM, mulletpelini said:

Some real bright mfers on here I tried ta told ya.

Watched Upgrade last night.  Had heard a lot about it, pretty much all good.  It didn't disappoint.  Note to Hollywood, everything doesn't need a sequel, remake or half a billion dollar budget.  Good idea and good story go a long way.  5M budget made a pretty gd good movie.

I enjoyed it. It's something PKD could have written, and I enjoyed the 80s synth vibes

Cold Pursuit. Winter time Liam Neeson movies never disappoint and this one is no exception. Definitely action packed but damn funny too, which I wasn’t expecting. Dark. The Native American group was great. Only quibble is Laura Dern. Her role was barely there.

Good to know. I’m seeing it tonight
  • Like 1

Thud Pilots - Low budget documentary about F-105 pilots in Vietnam. The narrator sounds like Ed Carter from the Ticket. But this is overall a really great film. Lots of moving stories about men, their missions and their sacrifices. On Amazon.

740050248_1280x720.jpg

• Like 2

I'm a huge James Bond fan, and I've always avoided Moonraker; for the obvious reason.  And god is it a terrible movie.  Take out the fact that it's plot is nonsensical, even by James Bond standards; the dialogue, acting, etc, is just plain lazy.

Google says this was the highest-grossing Bond film until Goldeneye.  I hate humanity.  What in God's creation attracted so many people to this thing?  No way it was just the Star Wars effect.

f05ce0992414b8e3ad0639b5f4505fe764a7fa46

PSH plays a german intelligence agent in hamburg after 9/11 attacks.  he’s great, of course.  cerebral thriller, really enjoyed it, though the ending was a little dissatisfying.

and while her character wasn’t great, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen rachel mcadams look better than she did in this movie. 

Dr. Black and Mr. Hyde:  Bernie Casey of Revenge of the Nerds fame is a doctor who, when not busy helping indigent patients at a combination free clinic/thrift store, is working on a formula to regenerate dying liver cells.  He tries it out on himself to test for side effects and it makes him turn into an albino psycho who likes to kill hookers, usually by picking them up and throwing them long distances, at night.  Another quality film from the monthly AGFA Secret Screening.  

On 3/6/2019 at 6:12 PM, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Finally saw Green Book. I understand now all the pushback and negativity. It’s Oscar Bait, White savior trope, crap to the core. The rainy soap opera scene “I’m not black enough I’m not white enough what am i!?!” By the autistic pianist seemed like a parody movie scene out of Tropic Thunder or something. Youch.

green book was great.  sorry you’re a divisive racist. 

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

The 21st Century's best western:

Just watched it again last week. Great flick. 

Duvall did a 2-part TV movie called Broken Trail with Thomas Haden Church that was very good.

Edited by RPM