The movie you just watched

F250

On 12/7/2023 at 10:33 AM, slorch said:

The Matrix.

No I’d never seen it and figured I should just to connnect the dots on so many memes and references. Seemed like a nerd fantasy about wanting to kick people’s asses and have a hot girlfriend without ever leaving the basement.

I thought they left once in a while to go to clubs wearing black lipstick.  The fantasy was that club culture is really a powerful insightful worldview superior to all those drones wearing suits. 

On 12/9/2023 at 11:42 PM, austingirl said:

Super low-budget indie horror, free on Tubi. A wonderful depiction of grief and loneliness and vengeance, and both main actors were fantastic.

I've posted this movie in the horror threads. I'm a big fan. Another good horror that reminds me of it in some ways is "Anything for Jackson"

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mr.goodkat said:

12 angry men . i "watched " this movie as a pre-teen and didn't get it . watching through 2023 goggles at 49 was quite interesting . 

Might be Fonda's top performance. The Ox-Bow Incident would be the strongest contender. The Wrong Man would be 3rd.

• Hook 'Em 1

Velvet Underground (documentary - Todd Haynes) 2021

l-intro-1670447313.jpg

Beautiful and skillfully done but all of these dudes certainly insisted upon themselves.   It's really fascinating how I can respect the music until Rock 'n Roll comes out of the screen and then I realized how much I like "pop" Lou Reed.

11 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Correct. Had to wash it down with something light, Evil Dead Rise. Basically a rom com compared to Threads.

No shit, right? Afterwards I thought, I need a palate cleanser to lighten the mood. Maybe something like Shoah, or, I don't know, Paths of Glory.

Fucking Christ, that movie was dark.

• Haha 1

On 12/9/2023 at 1:58 PM, Bama Llama said:

Killers of the Flower Moon. Very well done, IMHO. At least some of the thieving, murdering sonsabitches got justice in the end. Book was excellent, too. Live radio wrapup epilogue was a nice touch. Movie made me want to drive a vintage motor vehicle. Don’t need a Pierce Arrow; a Model A Ford would do.

My dad’s first car was a model-a ford, and he loved that car, as well as others in that vintage. He built a large garage to work on them, and owned a few when Alzheimer’s tore him down. There were certain movies that he wanted to share with us whenever the opportunity arose, schedule and bedtime be damned. Those movies always had depression era cars.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 12/11/2023 at 9:27 AM, BeardIP said:

The Great Outdoors (1988) starring John Candy, Dan Akroyd and Annette Bening.

Had never seen it. John Candy was a tad bit before my time so not super familiar outside of Trains, Planes & Automobiles and Home Alone (this movie like Home Alone is also a John Hughes film). 

This movie was the epitome of what I’d guess was ‘80’s cheese— nothing really interesting about it and it’s superficial humor, but Candy played the straight man great.

I need to see Brewster Millions and Stripes next.

Do yourself a favor and watch old SCTV episodes. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 3:17 PM, Bama Llama said:

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior. My favorite scene was inside the Road Warrior’s car speeding doen the highway, the look on the tied up skycopter geek’s face when the wonder dog, holding a stick in his teeth wired to the triggers of the sawed off shotgun, twitched when a rabbit ran by.

Second favorite: when the bad guy “announcer” reach up to grab the boomerang and hig fingers were converted to vienna sausages. Followed by the feral kid’s howl of triumph!

Best full speed road action film work ever.

This might be my favorite movie of all time.  This scene in particular is nearly perfect.  The music box and the Feral Kid, the group panic, Pappagallo barely holding on, the pan in on Gibson.  If you've ever been the fixit guy at work, really hits:

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

This might be my favorite movie of all time.  This scene in particular is nearly perfect.  The music box and the Feral Kid, the group panic, Pappagallo barely holding on, the pan in on Gibson.  If you've ever been the fixit guy at work, really hits:

Tewww roit, myte! I went to law school with a brilliant guy, a Phi Beta Kappa as an undergrad, a native of the briny backwood swamps and sloughs of south Alabama, who absolutely worships to this day the final scene, voice over fade away, just before the creidts roll.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Rewatched L.A. Confidential last night for the first time since I saw it in the theater.  It holds up pretty well, but the love story drags the pacing a bit.  It's amazing how well Guy Pierce nails Ed Exley's ambition, and Russell Crowe really is a force of nature. 

Likewise-this ensemble cast all give amazing performances and the storyline holds up as mentioned.  James Cromwell and David Strathairn gave the best performances of their careers in this one imho. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 1:00 PM, austingirl said:

We taped The Great Outdoors off of TV some time in the late 80s and watched it alllll the time - it's still one of my favorite movies. "Big bear! Big bear chase me!"

Love that movie.

"go find yourself a spin cycle!"

"yeah, go find yourself a spin cycle! Wait, what does that even mean?"

"Man, look at the size of those maggots in the rotten meat!"

6 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Tewww roit, myte! I went to law school with a brilliant guy, a Phi Beta Kappa as an undergrad, a native of the briny backwood swamps and sloughs of south Alabama, who absolutely worships to this day the final scene, voice over fade away, just before the creidts roll.

…And the Road Warrior?  That was the last we saw of him. 

He lives now only in my memories….

• Like 1

On 12/17/2023 at 5:31 PM, nycHorn said:

Krampus. lol.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

On 12/17/2023 at 5:51 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

We started watching that last year with our kids and nephews. They all love it.

On 12/17/2023 at 8:40 PM, wutang75 said:

Krampus every year for the last 4-5 years. It’s playing in the theater here locally this year. Looking forward to that with the fam.

Never seen it, 10 year old nephew wants to watch it. Anything crazy?

Never seen it, 10 year old nephew wants to watch it. Anything crazy?

Oh yeah, there are some crazy parts for sure. That’s a good question though. I think the question would be what is their horror movie experience? My 10 year daughter loved it but we are a horror movie family.

Definitely a solid step up from Gremlins or anything like that.
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 4:10 AM, pch said:

Maestro.  Bradley Cooper should win two Oscars, one for director, one for best actor.  The supporting cast in this story of Leonard Bernstein is phenomenal as well.

He was really good but I am almost in awe of Carey Mulligan every time I see her.  She is so good I now seek out her stuff.   I will say the way the dialogue talked around and in some ways tried to excuse his infidelity annoyed me.   You're either faithful or you aren't and it's ok to acknowledge that reality on its own, aside from any allowance for someone's conflicted sexuality. 

Also, this movie will be more enjoyable the better your sound system.   And it's shot very thoughtfully and beautifully.

Late to the watch on Leave the World Behind. Liked it. Glad I saved the Spinal Tap, Fargo, Monty Python and Christopher Guest mockumentaries, Beatles Anthology series, Zeppelin and Pink Floyd Pulse live DVDs.

But where’s the fucking DVD player?

I can understand why fans of constant fast paced action are negging it but I enjoyed the humans adjusting on the wing plot elements. This story ain’t over.

Saw some good ones recently - and  a lot of bad ones.

Thomas Crown Affair (probably for fifth time) - Extremely well done. Great dialogue. Rene Russo is cool.

O Brother Where Art Thou - Very damn funny. Seen it any number of times too. Still LOLed. A lot like Fargo - not the least bit formulaic. Wasn't Fargo made by the same team?

This is the End. Seth Rogan, All Star Cast. Funny as shit.

True Romance. Christian Slater, Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Patricia Arquette, Gary Oldman, and Elvis - If you haven't seen this, you're missing it. The consumate Romance/Action/Thriller.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

Watched Rebel Moon on Netflix.   I think Zach Snyder made a bet on how many times he could cram a slow motion to still frame shot of people making epic jumps into one movie.  Other than that and how much the movie stole from other franchises, it was OK.  Some of the fight scenes were actually really well done.  Antagonist was a little over the top with his Nazi schtick IMO.