2024 Solar Eclipse - never too early to get ready

Wally Fairway

5 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Well that was fun! The gorgeous blues of a clear sky weren't visible but otherwise pretty cool. That last minute where it gets geometrically darker/faster is still something to behold.  Also cool to compare the two (2017) for me. BTW roosters did start crowing here and birds definitely stopped completely, we were looking for that and got it.

BTW, this was the one hope I/many others had - a recently-discovered confirmation of a long-believed phenomenon. This article is why the clouds parted enough when it seemed like all hope was lost. A quick and good read.

https://www.sciencealert.com/clouds-vanish-during-a-solar-eclipse-and-we-finally-know-why

Talk to you in 300 years when the next one hits ATX!

breakingbad-science.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

It certainly lived up to it's billing. It cleared out at just the right time for us.

Total-Eclipse.png

Eclipselooking-West.png

It looked the same as it does at around 7:30 in the evening. I took a picture of my dog in the yard, but it was so dark that my camera flash went off.

Eclipse-Leaves.png

Eclipse shadow through pecan leaves.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

That was badass. Clouds went away for about 10 minutes so we got clear skies and a full view. Seeing stars during the daytime is quite the freaky experience. 

my welder got the pic. 

IMG_5413.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Amazing. That was even cooler than I was expecting. I’m glad I made the trip. One of the most awesome things I’ve ever experienced. 

Both of my kids were like, “That was awesome! Totally worth missing school!”

I am a proud dad right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

cloud dissipation theory debunked

clouds slowed down and a big fat fucker at 5000' moved in right at totality

i got 3 seconds of beads up front

then it finally cleared right at the end in time to get 30 seconds of venus then the diamond ring and a few more beads

no flares, no ring of fire, no stars, and less than 10 seconds of complete unobstructed totality

but i got the diamond ring

pictures do no justice to the depth of field and peripheral vision of the human eye

maybe australia is in the cards

7 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

20240408_134506.jpg

silver medal in the venus 'n jupiter competition

• Hook 'Em 2

Well those who said that 99.9% wouldn't get the cool effect were wrong. It got dark as fuck here in NB and I'm about 10 miles from the line of totality. Couldn't see shit because of the clouds, but it was still a trippy experience. The birds were going apeshit right up until totality, then they all just stopped. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Seeing the solar flares with the naked eye was something extra incredible.   Wow. 

Goddamn that "nothingburger" was fucking spectacular. We are right by Love Field and had a great view of totality for about a minute and then the sun/moon went behind the clouds, became halfway visible soon after (led to some cool visual effects) and then we caught the last minute or so unobstructed. I'd go see that again in a heartbeat.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Conditions worked out for me where I'm at. Got to see the totality without ay cloud cover, that was such a cool experience. Was able to snap a few decent ones with the phone.

IMG_0348.thumb.jpeg.6b5c74d25b782f938f8c76982fec8037.jpeg

IMG_0364.jpeg

Edited by YChang
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I didn't even think about lighting the tower.

That's badass.

Yeah this was about 5 or so mins before totality.

image.thumb.png.0be7920bccb21d44d9811a41b157c8f9.png

I don't really put a lot of effort into getting good shots for events like these (and it shows) because there are always tons of people with fancy camera gear that will flood the internet with better pics than I can muster. I'm sure some mofo from the other angle captured both the tower and the eclipse in a single shot. Just gotta wait for that to surface online. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

All these close up picture do not do the eclipse justice anyone find a picture of the full eclipse and the three planets. That is what we got to see here since we had a break in the clouds for 2 minutes while it happened.