2024 Solar Eclipse - never too early to get ready

Wally Fairway

10 out of 10. We got a break in the clouds for totality. Exceeded our expectations and we were glad we took the afternoon off. We took a couple mushrooms and split a bottle of champagne on a blanket in the yard. Then massages afterwards. Nice little adventure.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

The moon's orbit is elliptical and not constant so the distance from the moon to the earth is what determines whether it is a total eclipse or just an annular eclipse. If the moon is too far away the apparent size of the disc is too small to entirely cover up the sun even if it passes directly in front of it, which makes an annular eclipse. The moon needs to be closer to the earth and appear bigger for it to be a total eclipse.

The earth's orbit around the sub is also elliptical and the distance from the earth to the sun and the apparent size of the sun also varies a little bit and also factors into this determination, but the distance to the moon is the main determinant. 

Fun fact that I read recently: the moon is slowly moving away from the earth which means that the occurrences when it is big enough to completely cover the sun are gradually getting fewer. Several million years ago in the past there were many more total eclipses and fewer annular eclipses than today. Eventually - like 600 million years from now - the moon will be far enough away that total eclipses will no longer be possible and we will then only have annular eclipses. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

10 out of 10. We got a break in the clouds for totality. Exceeded our expectations.

I have never heard anyone who saw a total eclipse for the first time say, "That was lame. What a letdown."

Most people - as evidenced by this thread - say, "HOLY SHIT! THAT WAS AWESOME AND EXCEEDED MY EXPECTATIONS!"

But there are lots of people who have never seen one who will still say, "What's the big deal?" They are also usually the same people who say, "Well, it's going to be __% here at my house. That's close enough."

After we went to Missouri in 2017 and saw that one, I knew it was going to be worth driving and sitting in traffic to see it again this time. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Fun fact that I read recently: the moon is slowly moving away from the earth which means that the occurrences when it is big enough to completely cover the sun are gradually getting fewer. Several million years ago in the past there were many more total eclipses and fewer annular eclipses than today. Eventually - like 600 million years from now - the moon will be far enough away that total eclipses will no longer be possible and we will then only have annular eclipses. 

well what time 600 million years from now?  Because I have something at 11am.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, pantone159 said:

The sun looks like a black hole, at least to me. It just looks completely wrong and impossible. The brightness of everything is just broken. It is hard to explain until you see it yourself.

The clouds parted for us for about 10 seconds, which was just long enough to see the diamond ring. There was a layer of wispy cirrus, so I didn’t get to see any solar flares (if those were visible to the naked eye). Those 10 seconds sent a chill down my spine, I’m not going to lie. My day was extraordinarily busy up to that 30 minute window I blocked off and after, but I was traveling for work that evening and somewhere around 10 pm on my drive, I finally process what I saw and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Seeing a natural wonder so cosmic and rare has had a profound effect on me. Having experienced both the 2017 eclipse and this one, I will 100% vouch for the sentiment that the difference between totality and the fringe of totality is so, so vast. That additional 0.9% you get in totality is absolutely insane. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Not gonna lie, I fell asleep at about 25%. I work nights and it was 3 hours past my bedtime after working a 12 hour shift. Fuck it, I'll catch the next one.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Please don't tell my wife that this is happening, she will start to worry about this and will want to figure out what we should be doing to offset the risk,
(I know this belongs in the stupid things my wife says thread)

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Not if the earth is flat.  Duh.

If the earth is flat, why are the moon, sun and every other fucking thing in the solar system round?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Not gonna lie, I fell asleep at about 25%. I work nights and it was 3 hours past my bedtime after working a 12 hour shift. Fuck it, I'll catch the next one.

You are gonna have to wait about 20 years worth of your username before the next one comes around.

4 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Eventually - like 600 million years from now - the moon will be far enough away that total eclipses will no longer be possible and we will then only have annular eclipses. 

I just had Siri add a reminder.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

The moon's orbit is elliptical and not constant so the distance from the moon to the earth is what determines whether it is a total eclipse or just an annular eclipse. If the moon is too far away the apparent size of the disc is too small to entirely cover up the sun even if it passes directly in front of it, which makes an annular eclipse. The moon needs to be closer to the earth and appear bigger for it to be a total eclipse.

The earth's orbit around the sub is also elliptical and the distance from the earth to the sun and the apparent size of the sun also varies a little bit and also factors into this determination, but the distance to the moon is the main determinant. 

debbie-downer-01.jpg?quality=75&strip=al

• Haha 1

No need to wait for 2028 in Australia.  This is from the NASA website:

AUG. 12, 2026:  A total solar eclipse will be visible in Greenland, Iceland, Spain, Russia, and a small area of Portugal, while a partial eclipse will be visible in Europe, Africa, North America, the Atlantic Ocean, Arctic Ocean, and Pacific Ocean

Seems like Iceland, Spain or Portugal would be nice places to visit during August.

• Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

AUG. 12, 2026:  A total solar eclipse will be visible in Greenland, Iceland, Spain, Russia, and a small area of Portugal, while a partial eclipse will be visible in Europe, Africa, North America, the Atlantic Ocean, Arctic Ocean, and Pacific Ocean

Seems like Iceland, Spain or Portugal would be nice places to visit during August.

Spain would be awesome.  Too bad Barcelona is only at 99.8% obscurity but it looks like Valencia and Mallorca will get totality.  Hmm.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Feh.

The moon wanders out a little in its orbit sometimes, and sometimes wanders a little closer in its orbit. I doubt it'll wander out that far without outside forces causing it. 

It seems more likely in that amount of time that some other cataclysmic event (another bombardment period, comet/asteroid strike, one of the other planets gets damaged from the same things and sends out debris to cause bombardment here, etc.) happens first before that theory gets a chance to happen.

Besides, if the Earth gets a gamma-ray burst from any black holes aimed at us, we'll be gone so quick that no one will be left to care what happens in 600 million years.  So don't worry about it.  Lulz.

6 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Feh.

The moon wanders out a little in its orbit sometimes, and sometimes wanders a little closer in its orbit. I doubt it'll wander out that far without outside forces causing it. 

It seems more likely in that amount of time that some other cataclysmic event (another bombardment period, comet/asteroid strike, one of the other planets gets damaged from the same things and sends out debris to cause bombardment here, etc.) happens first before that theory gets a chance to happen.

Besides, if the Earth gets a gamma-ray burst from any black holes aimed at us, we'll be gone so quick that no one will be left to care what happens in 600 million years.  So don't worry about it.  Lulz.

I reckon the Earth will get destroyed by a Vogon constructor fleet before then

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

We caught the show in Llano and the clouds did the whole disappearance thing about 30 minutes before the show and stayed mostly away until the finish. Just badass. I'm thankful my family let me drag them a lot farther away that originally planned in order to find someplace clearer. Game balls go to the DFW NWS page and their cloud cover predictor app, and the restaurants, coffee shops, and taprooms of Llano that seemed well prepared for the influx of people. 

On 4/8/2024 at 8:41 PM, pantone159 said:

I think these are called solar prominences? I saw an orange dot and did not realize what it was until you posted these photos. Thanks!

I'm not sure why they are red/orange though.

The red color comes from a single wavelength of light from the emission of hydrogen atoms, called H-alpha, at 656 nanometers. The sun's outer atmosphere shows this luminescent light emission due to the input of magnetic energy, rather than the incandescent light emission seen on the much denser surface.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

The red color comes from a single wavelength of light from the emission of hydrogen atoms, called H-alpha, at 656 nanometers. The sun's outer atmosphere shows this luminescent light emission due to the input of magnetic energy, rather than the incandescent light emission seen on the much denser surface.

1f8as9.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

In one of the videos I got, you can see two satellites zooming across the sky away from the devil's butthole. 

Satellites.

That's just what "they" want you to think.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I have never heard anyone who saw a total eclipse for the first time say, "That was lame. What a letdown."

Most people - as evidenced by this thread - say, "HOLY SHIT! THAT WAS AWESOME AND EXCEEDED MY EXPECTATIONS!"

But there are lots of people who have never seen one who will still say, "What's the big deal?" They are also usually the same people who say, "Well, it's going to be __% here at my house. That's close enough."

After we went to Missouri in 2017 and saw that one, I knew it was going to be worth driving and sitting in traffic to see it again this time. 

So from the outside, you can't understand it, and from the inside you can't explain it.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, 83Horn said:

Why are the alien overlords sending us so many total eclipses in such a short time? Are they trying to tell us that God is coming with his Apocalypse Magic card to smite the unbelievers?

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Why are the alien overlords sending us so many total eclipses in such a short time? Are they trying to tell us that God is coming with his Apocalypse Magic card to smite the unbelievers?

It's because you touch yourself at night.

And during the darkness of an eclipse.  A sort of "bonus round" for you sick bastards.

Edited by Brisketexan

40 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Okay, just got the chance to hop on here about our experience.  We went out to a ranch in Llano, had a group of 17 folks camping out there.  My wife's cousin is a hot-shot astronomer, and they have a group that travels to see as many total eclipses as possible, so we were talking about plans and best ways to make this local eclipse happen starting four years ago.

We go great weather, and the best wildflower display in 20+ years -- was really cool to show Texas off to them, coming from AZ, CA, PA Germany, and Spain.  Several beloved family members, but also their friends.   And....we knew these were "hotshot astronomers," but we really didn't realize HOW hotshot.  Sunday evening, we're gazing up at the night sky and getting some explanations from the woman who fucking LEADS the SSDS (the project that is literally mapping.....everything in the universe.  All of it.  The whole known universe.  You can watch her damned TED talk about it).  That evening, I got to sit by the fire and sip a beer as she quizzed my wife, with genuine curiosity, about some big theological questions.  I just sat there, drank my beer, looked at the stars, and listened to two incredibly smart women engage each other.  And we got to hang out with the head of the Max Planck Institute for Astronomy, who is fucking cool as hell.  Oh, and he gets to be in charge of building and stoking the campfire -- it's his thing, don't take that away from him.  Or Bernhard, who is an eclipse junkie, and also in the Nobel Prize talk for his work in mathematics and AI (he's a pioneer of "causality," using math to determine whether different astronomical phenomena are coincidental or caused, in short form.  His work helped find exoplanets, including the first one found in the habitable zone).  Also, he fucking loved my brisket, and ate it three meals in a row.

We were like everyone else, tracking the clouds carefully, gambling on whether we should stay where we were or try to chase it.  Bernhard chose to chase it, and he got a good view.  We chose to stay, and we got a perfect view -- the clouds broke a few minutes before, and stayed clear the entire time.  I don't know what I was expecting....but what we saw was MUCH more awesome than I expected.  We were all grinning and laughing and patting each other on the back at how amazing the experience was.  We hung out after and had a nice lunch, then broke camp a bit earlier than planned because of the forecast for stormy weather.  Several of them didn't have a place to stay Monday night because they'd planned on camping.  We have lots of room in our house, so we told them to bunk with us, and they did.

That evening, we sat around the table bullshitting, eating leftovers (Bernhard heated up brisket, again), and just having a damned pleasant visit.  Again, with people who have their own freaking Wikipedia pages.  We have an invitation to come and stay in Heidelberg now.  AND....Bernhard's wife is Spanish, and has family in the zone of totality for the August 2026 eclipse that will pass over Spain, so we started talking plans for that.  

It was an amazing experience on its own, objectively.  It was made even better by being in a place so near and dear to us, that we could show off with some pride.  And then made even better by experiencing it with family and new friends.

TLDR: if you haven't experienced a total eclipse, and think it's no big deal, think again.  It's a top-5 lifetime experience, highly recommend.  And experience it with great people, that makes it even better.

Oh, I still need to get a good emailed version of this, but this is a shot of the photo up on my TV - Bernhard shared it with us all Monday evening.  He has a friend on the ISS, and when he realized when she would be there, he told her the timing and angle to get a good shot of the eclipse.  So she took this one, and sent it to him via WhatsApp (yep, they have WhatsApp access on the ISS):

Yeah? Well my wife's brother went to MIT, so there....

...but he's also an alcoholic asshole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Okay, just got the chance to hop on here about our experience.  We went out to a ranch in Llano, had a group of 17 folks camping out there.  My wife's cousin is a hot-shot astronomer, and they have a group that travels to see as many total eclipses as possible, so we were talking about plans and best ways to make this local eclipse happen starting four years ago.

We go great weather, and the best wildflower display in 20+ years -- was really cool to show Texas off to them, coming from AZ, CA, PA Germany, and Spain.  Several beloved family members, but also their friends.   And....we knew these were "hotshot astronomers," but we really didn't realize HOW hotshot.  Sunday evening, we're gazing up at the night sky and getting some explanations from the woman who fucking LEADS the SSDS (the project that is literally mapping.....everything in the universe.  All of it.  The whole known universe.  You can watch her damned TED talk about it).  That evening, I got to sit by the fire and sip a beer as she quizzed my wife, with genuine curiosity, about some big theological questions.  I just sat there, drank my beer, looked at the stars, and listened to two incredibly smart women engage each other.  And we got to hang out with the head of the Max Planck Institute for Astronomy, who is fucking cool as hell.  Oh, and he gets to be in charge of building and stoking the campfire -- it's his thing, don't take that away from him.  Or Bernhard, who is an eclipse junkie, and also in the Nobel Prize talk for his work in mathematics and AI (he's a pioneer of "causality," using math to determine whether different astronomical phenomena are coincidental or caused, in short form.  His work helped find exoplanets, including the first one found in the habitable zone).  Also, he fucking loved my brisket, and ate it three meals in a row.

We were like everyone else, tracking the clouds carefully, gambling on whether we should stay where we were or try to chase it.  Bernhard chose to chase it, and he got a good view.  We chose to stay, and we got a perfect view -- the clouds broke a few minutes before, and stayed clear the entire time.  I don't know what I was expecting....but what we saw was MUCH more awesome than I expected.  We were all grinning and laughing and patting each other on the back at how amazing the experience was.  We hung out after and had a nice lunch, then broke camp a bit earlier than planned because of the forecast for stormy weather.  Several of them didn't have a place to stay Monday night because they'd planned on camping.  We have lots of room in our house, so we told them to bunk with us, and they did.

That evening, we sat around the table bullshitting, eating leftovers (Bernhard heated up brisket, again), and just having a damned pleasant visit.  Again, with people who have their own freaking Wikipedia pages.  We have an invitation to come and stay in Heidelberg now.  AND....Bernhard's wife is Spanish, and has family in the zone of totality for the August 2026 eclipse that will pass over Spain, so we started talking plans for that.  

It was an amazing experience on its own, objectively.  It was made even better by being in a place so near and dear to us, that we could show off with some pride.  And then made even better by experiencing it with family and new friends.

TLDR: if you haven't experienced a total eclipse, and think it's no big deal, think again.  It's a top-5 lifetime experience, highly recommend.  And experience it with great people, that makes it even better.

Oh, I still need to get a good emailed version of this, but this is a shot of the photo up on my TV - Bernhard shared it with us all Monday evening.  He has a friend on the ISS, and when he realized when she would be there, he told her the timing and angle to get a good shot of the eclipse.  So she took this one, and sent it to him via WhatsApp (yep, they have WhatsApp access on the ISS):

Is there a secret squirril version of this story, where the wife and hotshot TED talker show you their appreciation of the great brisket? 
Asking for a friend