NFL owners concerned about Chargers in LA

clapclapclap

Who would have seen a city full of Raiders fans failing to embrace their hated division rival? No waaaaaaaaaaay

I hope they do go to San Antonio. I hope the owners vote for it just to spite that piece of shit Jerry Jones who threatened to sue them last year. I'd love to have another local team to cheer for that isn't owned by that giant piece of shit and isn't from the ghetto sewer known as Houston. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Why not though?  There is absolute zero chance that any team in Houston or San Antonio will ever supplant the Cowboys as "America's Team."  There are plenty enough fans in Dallas to keep The Stajium filled to capacity.

Because Jerry is greenery and he wants that SA market. That's all Cowboys fans down there.
  • Like 2

Chargers struggling in LA? Who could have seen that coming.  

There's a reason the Raiders and Rams left. It's a shitty pro-football town.   I've heard it blamed on "to many other things to do", "the  weather",  and "to many narcissists in LA". Whatever.

Once the Rams come back down to earth, the wheels on that bandwagon are gonna fall off as well. 

28 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

LA doesn't even need one team, much less two.

I gotta disagree with your police work there, Lou. The Rams belong in LA. Chargers belong in SD. San Diegans just refused to play along with the billionaire welfare NFL business model. There's plenty of private cash to build a new mega stadium. But you don't really need a mega stadium in SD. Something modern and open air with lots of those oh so necessary luxury suites and uberscreen. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Jerry has zero say if a team is in SA. He'll take the his part if the massive relocation fee and shut the fuck up.

Jerry has plenty of say.  He more or less single-handedly pulled the Rams to LA and Raiders to LV moves.  There will never be a franchise in SA 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RPM said:

I gotta disagree with your police work there, Lou. The Rams belong in LA. Chargers belong in SD. San Diegans just refused to play along with the billionaire welfare NFL business model. There's plenty of private cash to build a new mega stadium. But you don't really need a mega stadium in SD. Something modern and open air with lots of those oh so necessary luxury suites and uberscreen. 

Yeah San Diego has repeatedly shown that they aren't funding a bullshit stadium. It's really saddening to see this not going well for scumbag Spanos. 

Jerry has zero say if a team is in SA. He'll take the his part if the massive relocation fee and shut the fuck up.
Lulz wut? You don't think owners have any say on where these teams end up? Jerry is not allowing a team to move to SA. It's pretty simple. They get brought up every time this comes up. SA is nothing more than a pawn used in this game they play to try and get stadiums funded. Jerry doesn't care about teams moving to LA or Vegas or wherever else. But he cherishes the SA market.

35 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yeah San Diego has repeatedly shown that they aren't funding a bullshit stadium. It's really saddening to see this not going well for scumbag Spanos

He's had a really bad year.  Maybe 2019 will be better for him.

If San Antonio wants to increase their odds they'll partner with Mexico City for a shared deal, perhaps 1-4 games per year in Stadium Azteca.  Gets the NFL permanently (well, 'NFL Permanent') in Mexico City while keeping the team based in the US, which will be easier for players, taxes, and the front office.

Los Angeles Chargers

Edited by clapclapclap

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

Send them back to San Diego

I think for as stupid as the NFL was in not placing the Raiders in Los Angeles, the fact that the Chargers should return to San Diego makes too much sense... As in it's a pride thing now, the NFL has a history of "punking" the common fan, and this time, it may have backfired...

3 options I would think as possible in fixing this issue:

#1- Simply swap the franchise names, the Spanos family takes over the Raiders/ the Davis family control the Chargers brand... In agreeing to this, the Davis family is subsidized in it's loans needed to relocate the team & stadium construction in Las Vegas... This would be similar to the NBA where the Hornets brand went back to Charlotte, and the Pelicans brand is now in New Orleans...

#2- Don't be surprised if the NFL tries to use this as an excuse to place a team internationally in (most likely) London, who would make the team more valuable than now, since that's all the NFL cares about... Or the team is placed in Mexico City, who could embrace being the team of not only Mexico, but both Central & South America...

#3- Relocate the franchise, place the Raiders in Los Angeles/ Las Vegas physically gains an expansion team/ the Chargers are sent to either San Antonio, with an already useable facility, or place the franchise in Oklahoma City, as the city is ironically looking at "what should be built to improve the city" in a soon to be MAPS4 vote... I think if local citizens knew of the chance to gain an NFL franchise, there would likely be enough support for building a 65,000 seat NFL stadium... A few "wildcard" cities could be Portland/ Salt Lake City/ Austin/ St. Louis, as those might be the most likely locations that could support a franchise out west, in the east, I dunno, Toronto or another Canadian city as Edmonton come to mind, but then that's starting to really be a reach in leaving Los Angeles for those markets...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Jerry has plenty of say.  He more or less single-handedly pulled the Rams to LA and Raiders to LV moves.  There will never be a franchise in SA 

I really wish ol' Jerrah had not wanted to stick his buddy Kronke in Los Angeles, as the Los Angeles area might have better received the teams if both the Rams & Raiders had partnered on a stadium project...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
8 hours ago, TriStone said:
Why not though?  There is absolute zero chance that any team in Houston or San Antonio will ever supplant the Cowboys as "America's Team."  There are plenty enough fans in Dallas to keep The Stajium filled to capacity.

Because Jerry is greenery and he wants that SA market. That's all Cowboys fans down there.

San Antonio probably has more cowboy fans per capita than Dallas does.

Still would be cool to have a third team in Texas though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

San Antonio needs a new stadium if they want an NFL team. I remember going to watch Texas vs SMU at the new Alamodome and thinking. "After all this time and all this effort they built this POS?. Wow, freaking unbelievable."

Nobody thinks the Alamodome is a suitable stadium for an nfl team. It’s already a couple decades old and it’s ugly as hell.

If SA got a team (highly unlikely) it might be used as a temporary home while a new stadium is built. 

L.A. should have a team, but to go straight in with two was dumb as fuck, because you're diluting the fanbase you're trying to build.  The Chargers should be in San Diego.  I don't care how it gets done, get the richers to build their own goddamned stadium if the city won't do it, or find a desperate suburb within 50 miles ala Arlington/Santa Clara who will bend over and cup the balls of the rich owners and build it themselves.  Surely somewhere in the corridor between LA and San Diego some pathetic suburb would do it and it would be close enough to call it San Diego. 

9 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Chargers struggling in LA? Who could have seen that coming.  

There's a reason the Raiders and Rams left. It's a shitty pro-football town.   I've heard it blamed on "to many other things to do", "the  weather",  and "to many narcissists in LA". Whatever.

Once the Rams come back down to earth, the wheels on that bandwagon are gonna fall off as well. 

*too x 2.

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

San Antonio needs a new stadium if they want an NFL team. I remember going to watch Texas vs SMU at the new Alamodome and thinking. "After all this time and all this effort they built this POS?. Wow, freaking unbelievable."

Damn how did I miss that? We played SMU in SA , wait whut, when?

24 minutes ago, YChang said:

Move them to Chula Vista. 

27 minutes ago, 'stache said:

L.A. should have a team, but to go straight in with two was dumb as fuck, because you're diluting the fanbase you're trying to build.  The Chargers should be in San Diego.  I don't care how it gets done, get the richers to build their own goddamned stadium if the city won't do it, or find a desperate suburb within 50 miles ala Arlington/Santa Clara who will bend over and cup the balls of the rich owners and build it themselves.  Surely somewhere in the corridor between LA and San Diego some pathetic suburb would do it and it would be close enough to call it San Diego. 

Tijuana?

2 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Damn how did I miss that? We played SMU in SA , wait whut, when?

1993, I was also at that game. I was in high school and my mom and dad took me to make a weekend out of visiting family in the area. Unlike the previous poster, though, I think it's a great place to watch a football game. When I go to a stadium all I care about is sight lines and seeing the action. I don't give a shit about luxury suites and bells and whistles.

In that respect the Alamodome is a better football stadium than Jerryworld.

• Like 3

A few things..... First, the Jerrah arm twisting to block another team in Texas is real.  Now, in the last two years, he's pissed off a large percentage of the owners with his antics and Goodell threatened suit and there is a rumored contingent who despise him.  His power is on the wane so perhaps he's simply voted over, but it would be difficult.  Very difficult.  

Second, Dean Spanos is an asshole and would want CenTex to build him a state of the art stadium at the taxpayers expense.  Is this what you want?  How would you fund this billion dollar plus expense?  The Alamodome wouldn't cut it long-term for him, so you can put that shit away.

Lastly, can they move regardless?  Kroenke will have to be convinced and paid off.  They'll have to calculate the breakeven and tipping points, so it's probably feasible but probably not impending.  The move is a catastrophic mess and the contract is worse.....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/18/chargers-wont-be-leaving-l-a-for-at-least-two-decades/

In the wake of the news that owners have concerns about the Chargers in L.A., some in the media have started throwing darts at the map in search of a new home for the team.

Don’t bother. They aren’t leaving Los Angeles. Not for at least 20 years after the opening of the new stadium they’ll share with the Rams in Inglewood.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Chargers have a firm 20-year lease at the venue being built by Rams owner Stan Kroenke. The Chargers also hold a pair of exclusive 10-year options after the first 20-year term.

Don’t shrug at the existence of a 20-year lease and say, “Contracts were made to be broken.” Everything currently being sold at the venue — from naming rights to luxury boxes to sponsorships to advertising — hinges on at least 20 NFL games per year, for at least 20 years. Thus, a premature exit by the Chargers would be the first domino in a cascade of contractual breaches.

The first breach would surely be the biggest. Kroenke didn’t amass his fortune by not holding his business partners to their commitments. He’s shelling out billions to build the stadium, and the return on his investment relies on the Chargers honoring their commitment to play roughly 200 total games there over two decades. There’s no way Kroenke would look the other way on a way out for the Chargers absent significant compensation, from someone.

55 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

1993, I was also at that game. I was in high school and my mom and dad took me to make a weekend out of visiting family in the area. Unlike the previous poster, though, I think it's a great place to watch a football game. When I go to a stadium all I care about is sight lines and seeing the action. I don't give a shit about luxury suites and bells and whistles.

In that respect the Alamodome is a better football stadium than Jerryworld.

The owners like the bells and whistles.  More $$$$.