Any Family Members Ever Play College or Pro Sports?

Vic Mackey

I created in the football board but it can expand to any sport.

Did anyone in your family ever play college or pro sports? For me:

Football - LB Bill Svoboda (Chicago Cardinals/ NY Giants) 1950-1958 - He played in the "Greatest Game Ever Played" for the Giants. He was my grandpa's cousin.

Baseball - LF Scott Podsednik - He played for a lot of teams but known for the White Sox. He hit the game winning HR in the 2005 World Series in game 1 or 2. He is my cousin.

• Like 3

Grandfather was a golden gloves boxer, kicked 3 guys asses single handedly at a bar when he was in his late 50's.  Grand dad liked to drunk, (yes drunk).

Younger brother, NC state wrestling.  Then he moved to Vegas where he he continued his career in Ju jitsu and trained all the MMA guys the art of Ju Jitzu.  Now he owns his own his own Jujitzu studio.

Dad played LB at Indiana State

Uncle played WR at Indiana State and was a UDA for the San Diego Chargers (but got cut after one preseason game)

FIL played TE at Gambling.

A Cousin played CB at Indiana State.

A Cousin is a CB right now at Earlham College.

A Cousin was a SG at Ranger College (basketball).

I was a walk-on WR one spring/summer at the University of the First Class, but I had to quit in the summer so I could work to pay rent. I also was on the Lady Longhorns hasketball practice squad one season. (yes, really)

• Like 7

My Dad played football for the Longhorns from 60-63. He never started a game on offense or defense during his time there, but “helped” them get better during practice. Yes, we’re talking about practice!

Actually made it in the picture of players surrounding Coach Royal, on the SI two page spread, after the Horns won it all in ‘05. (They we waiting on the results of the coin toss - he played special teams.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

My mom had a cousin named Norm Bulaich, who was a RB for TCU and then the Baltimore Colts. I remember him showing me his super bowl ring when I was a kid, which seemed like about the coolest thing I had seen at that point. He made the SI cover once.

The Human Cannonball? 

<——  End,  Guard and Tackle on my Pop Warner Team.  

Edited by Underdog

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

Dad played LB at Indiana State

Uncle played WR at Indiana State and was a UDA for the San Diego Chargers (but got cut after one preseason game)

FIL played TE at Gambling.

A Cousin played CB at Indiana State.

A Cousin is a CB right now at Earlham College.

A Cousin was a SG at Ranger College (basketball).

I was a walk-on WR one spring/summer at the University of the First Class, but I had to quit in the summer so I could work to pay rent. I also was on the Lady Longhorns hasketball practice squad one season. (yes, really)

You mean cousin WAS a CB on Earlham, rt?

• Like 1

One Uncle was a SP for UNT back in the early 80’s.  Had multiple tryouts w/ the Rangers but don’t make it. 

I was a preferred walk-on (mostly because I was the best deep snapper in the North TX area) in FB but had blown out my ACL and failed my physical.  

BiL pitch for Coug, was drafted, and made it to AAA before multiple shoulder surgeries forced him to hang it up.   

A few cousins and other Uncles that played a year or two at JUCO and what not  

My cousin's son played soccer for UNC, and his sister played for NCSU.  Their dad was a linebacker at NCSU.

Another cousin wrestled for about a week at Penn State but realized he was out of his league and decided to focus on school (PhD Aerospace Engineering).  Good choice-- he's a big muckity muck (Senior Engineering Fellow) at Lockheed Martin.

6 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I created in the football board but it can expand to any sport.

Did anyone in your family ever play college or pro sports? For me:

Football - LB Bill Svoboda (Chicago Cardinals/ NY Giants) 1950-1958 - He played in the "Greatest Game Ever Played" for the Giants. He was my grandpa's cousin.

Baseball - LF Scott Podsednik - He played for a lot of teams but known for the White Sox. He hit the game winning HR in the 2005 World Series in game 1 or 2. He is my cousin.

Czechs out.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

My cousin is currently being recruited to play OL. Hasn’t decided where he’s going but visited SMU, Tulsa, and Southern Miss this fall.

His dad pitched at Baylor in the early 90’s.

His dad (my uncle) was recruited to play football at West Point but had to stay local and play at Howard Payne because he got his girlfriend pregnant and married her.

My grandad played multiple sports at his high school, was QB of the football team at Selma High, Alabama.

A scout came down from Tuscaloosa headed to a little town south of Selma to offer a scholarship to a big hulking Canecutter, probably a cousin but not my grandaddy. In Selma people told him "Oh no, the football Canecutter lives here in Selma", meaning my athletic but medium-sized grandaddy.

So anyway, grandaddy got a scholarship to Alabama (by accident) for a little while during the Wallace Wade era. Like the line in the song, his friends all loved, to listen to him, when he talked about that year.

I went to the museum in Tuscaloosa and couldn't find a trace of him. He would have been on the JV squad which was more like a battalion in those days, hundreds of young guys. Whether it was academics, or a knee getting bent backwards, or Alabama realizing they gave a schollie to the wrong guy, grandaddy left soon after he got there and somehow fetched up in Miami painting signs.

So they say.