Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

12 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Didn't this exact playbook happen the last time he invaded Ukraine and took Crimea? All of our sanctions and pressure on his oligarch buddies sure did teach Putin a lesson. That lesson apparently is the do it again and take more Ukraine land.

The sanctions in response to Crimea did not go where they needed to.  That was a criticism then, which you would hope we all learned from.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The sanctions in response to Crimea did not go where they needed to.  That was a criticism then, which you would hope we all learned from.

12 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Dear Gerhard, we already knew what you thought and today was not the day to tell us. Kindly attach a plastic bag to your head and and stick in a hose leading directly to NS1. 

you were saying.........

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The Prime Minister is Jewish too. “Nazi” Ukraine is the only nation aside from Israel where that is true.

You're viewing the term Nazi wrong. If purposeful, my apologies.

It's not used in terms of the holocaust. It's used in terms of Ukrainian sympathizers who helped prosecute the war against the Soviet Union in an attempt to secure their independence. Oftentimes with marked ruthlessness. This is how the term is going to be understood by a Russian speaking audience. The term is not being used to gain foreign support. It's being used for domestic purposes inside Russia, as well as a message to Russian speaking Ukrainians. It's loaded language that will create an emotional reaction. They'll know exactly what those references are. It's painting Ukrainian leadership and many of the people who support it as far right fascists, intent on doing great harm to Russian speakers. All the allusions to the holocaust that we associate with Naziism are not as material to Russian speakers. The 27 million dead, the 100,000 towns and villages destroyed, along with the atrocities committed along the way (returned by the Red Army on their way to Berlin, btw) are what they associate with Naziism. And the Ukrainian complicity with it.

If you understood that but are still taking umbrage at the ridiculous usage of the term, carry on. It is ridiculous to me as well, but I know I'm not the intended audience, so it makes more sense.

• Hook 'Em 4

37 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Bullshit.    Taking away a sporting event doesn't do fucking anything.

The way out of this is to essentially bankrupt the oligarchs that surround Putin. The way to do so is freezing assets and taking away the methods for money laundering. 

All ways to do so should be employed. Including football club shutdowns. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

John Kerry says to BBC in Cairo that he hopes people think about the consequences of the emissions of war, and that people don't lose focus on the damaging impact of climate change, and reminds Putin that the northern part of Russia used to be 66% ice

https://www.memri.org/tv/john-kerry-bbc-arabic-ukraine-crisis-distract-world-from-climate-crisis-massive-emissions-consequences

In a February 23, 2022 interview on BBC Arabic (U.K.), former Secretary of State John Kerry, who currently serves as U.S. Special Presidential Envoy for Climate, said that he is concerned about the Ukraine crisis because the war would have "massive emissions consequences" and because people's attention - and big countries' attention – would be diverted away from the climate crisis. He said he hopes that Putin will realize that most of northern Russia is on frozen land that is now thawing, putting Russia's infrastructure and people at risk. Expressing hope that diplomacy will succeed, and that Putin will help people "stay on track" regarding the climate, Kerry also said that he is concerned about the Ukrainian people, international law, and Russian attempts to change its boundaries by force.

John Kerry: "I'm very concerned about, I'm concerned about Ukraine because of the people of Ukraine and because of the principles that are at risk, in terms of international law and trying to change boundaries of international law by force. I thought we lived in a world that had said no to that kind of activity. And I hope diplomacy will win.

"But massive emissions consequences to the war but equally importantly, you're going to lose people's focus, you're going to lose big country attention because they will be diverted and I think it could have a damaging impact. So, you know hopefully President Putin would realize that in the Northern part of his country, they used to live on 66% of the nation that was over frozen land.

"Now it's thawing, and his infrastructure is at risk. And the people of Russia are at risk. And so I hope President Putin will help us to stay on track with respect to what we need to do for the climate."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

https://www.memri.org/tv/john-kerry-bbc-arabic-ukraine-crisis-distract-world-from-climate-crisis-massive-emissions-consequences

In a February 23, 2022 interview on BBC Arabic (U.K.), former Secretary of State John Kerry, who currently serves as U.S. Special Presidential Envoy for Climate, said that he is concerned about the Ukraine crisis because the war would have "massive emissions consequences" and because people's attention - and big countries' attention – would be diverted away from the climate crisis. He said he hopes that Putin will realize that most of northern Russia is on frozen land that is now thawing, putting Russia's infrastructure and people at risk. Expressing hope that diplomacy will succeed, and that Putin will help people "stay on track" regarding the climate, Kerry also said that he is concerned about the Ukrainian people, international law, and Russian attempts to change its boundaries by force.

John Kerry: "I'm very concerned about, I'm concerned about Ukraine because of the people of Ukraine and because of the principles that are at risk, in terms of international law and trying to change boundaries of international law by force. I thought we lived in a world that had said no to that kind of activity. And I hope diplomacy will win.

"But massive emissions consequences to the war but equally importantly, you're going to lose people's focus, you're going to lose big country attention because they will be diverted and I think it could have a damaging impact. So, you know hopefully President Putin would realize that in the Northern part of his country, they used to live on 66% of the nation that was over frozen land.

"Now it's thawing, and his infrastructure is at risk. And the people of Russia are at risk. And so I hope President Putin will help us to stay on track with respect to what we need to do for the climate."

new congressional medal:

At least you tried" Sticker by xstickers | Redbubble

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

We are not serious. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Thought this is particularly astute and why it's folly to think of Putin as a "madman."

This weekend, while I was reading Brendan Simms' new biography of Hitler, I came across a striking passage. Franklin Delano Roosevelt observed—in 1933 no less—that Hitler's rise was a "portent of evil," and astutely observed that his rise would lead to incommensurable conflict with the liberal West.

Hitler, he predicted, 'would in the end challenge us because his black sorcery appealed to the worst in men; it supported their hates and ridiculed their tolerances; and it could not exist permanently in the world with a system whose reliance on reason and justice was fundamental'.

FDR is pointing to a kind of fundamental irreconcilability in worldviews. It's remarkable that he describes Hitler as "evil" this early on. For FDR, "reason" appears to imply toleration, and "justice" is something that flows out of a rationally ordered society. But note that the moral argument is grounded not in Hitler's actions. Yes, by 1933, everyone knew Hitler to be a violent antisemitic thug who had managed to claw his way to the head of Germany, and who was already well on his way to completely suppressing dissent. But he hadn't yet started on his genocidal project in earnest, and few at the time could imagine that he would actually try to prosecute his murderous designs.

Instead, FDR's rebuke is grounded in first principle questions. Hitler appeals to human hatred, to division. He mocks tolerance. To write off Hitler as merely an unreasonable madman is to render his hold over the German people incomprehensible. "Black sorcery" gets at the heart of the matter much more aptly. Hitler's starting premises—his first commitments—are irreconcilable with our own. But his first commitments are also powerful appeals to real aspects of human nature. A worldview grounded in grievance, suspicion, and loathing may be hideous to contemplate, but it is coherent. And, moreover, plausible and durable.

By invoking Hitler as a parallel for current events, I know I risk falling into the reductio ad Hitleram fallacy. Let me be clear: I am not suggesting that Putinism is the new incarnation of Nazism (though at time of writing it feels ominously violent). Nor do I plan to invoke Neville Chamberlain when I criticize those that will, no doubt, continue to believe that a diplomatic solution to the current crisis is still within reach. My point is narrower, though perhaps no less grim: there is no bargaining with Putin's Russia. The sooner we understand this—and the sooner we recognize what we are up against—the better.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I work with several people in the Ukraine.  We have stand-ups twice a week driven by a manager there.  Typically, in the midst of this, nothing is mentioned.  Today, the Ukrainian manager is unable to connect.(He is OK).  So, we had a guy in the US drive the meeting.  He asked and several others in the US how they were doing over there.

They are in Odessa area btw.  

The stress they are under became palpable to us this morning.  When asked how close they were to what was going, one guy replied with perfect eastern European matter-of-fact tone "It's not too close, but it doesn't matter since they have missiles that can reach this far". He did mention he has heard a couple of explosions.  Another guy ends his status with "not much else going on except war is on the doorstep".    Other things brought up were shortages and long lines.  

I have only worked with this team a short time but they are great to collaborate with.  Kind, giving, and understanding.

I felt so small when I had to ask one of them for help on something afterwards.   

It's a travesty that they have to live like this.

If they have the ability, they should get the fuck out of there. 

In your defense, I'm assuming you're giving them hard currency in return. That's as helpful as anything else you could do short of sponsoring them for a green card. 

It all feels very very helpless. Heck, I'm grateful to have this message board, otherwise I'd be going crazy with my own thoughts.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Dear Gerhard, we already knew what you thought and today was not the day to tell us. Kindly attach a plastic bag to your head and and stick in a hose leading directly to NS1. 

The FUCKING AUDACITY of Schröder. Unbelievable. Well, not unbelievable actually, but you know what I mean. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Steamboat1874 said:

Surprised he did not just shoot her.

that was my worry when I started watching.  It actually gives me some hope, though the wrong lenses to see through all together, that the order is not to use blunt force and destroy the place but to be strategic in those targets chosen.  if the world isn't coming to Ukraine's defense, my hope is for the least amount of collateral damage as possible.

Ukraine made mistake of thinking anyone thinks of them as a European country. 
They were just someone to sell arms to and annoy Russia with. 
Feel for the Ukrainian citizens that think any white knights are coming. 
The US is the equivalent of the monorail salesman from “The Simpsons”. 
Sell a bunch of stuff, make a bunch of promises, disappear when shit gets bad. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

You're viewing the term Nazi wrong. If purposeful, my apologies.

It's not used in terms of the holocaust. It's used in terms of Ukrainian sympathizers who helped prosecute the war against the Soviet Union in an attempt to secure their independence. Oftentimes with marked ruthlessness. This is how the term is going to be understood by a Russian speaking audience. The term is not being used to gain foreign support. It's being used for domestic purposes inside Russia, as well as a message to Russian speaking Ukrainians. It's loaded language that will create an emotional reaction. They'll know exactly what those references are. It's painting Ukrainian leadership and many of the people who support it as far right fascists, intent on doing great harm to Russian speakers. All the allusions to the holocaust that we associate with Naziism are not as material to Russian speakers. The 27 million dead, the 100,000 towns and villages destroyed, along with the atrocities committed along the way (returned by the Red Army on their way to Berlin, btw) are what they associate with Naziism. And the Ukrainian complicity with it.

If you understood that but are still taking umbrage at the ridiculous usage of the term, carry on. It is ridiculous to me as well, but I know I'm not the intended audience, so it makes more sense.

My dude, if there is one person in the thread who doesn’t need paragraph long explanations of the Russian and Ukrainian context, it’s me.  You should switch your tone up. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

First time I’d seen it with sound. That scared little child crying. Fuck me dead.

im still in disbelief this is actually happening.  i genuinely didnt think earlier this week that it would actually take place.  in-laws share a border with ukraine.  we share a border with russia (barely..nominally..).  still hard to process that its real-real

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, troph said:

that was my worry when I started watching.  It actually gives me some hope, though the wrong lenses to see through all together, that the order is not to use blunt force and destroy the place but to be strategic in those targets chosen.  if the world isn't coming to Ukraine's defense, my hope is for the least amount of collateral damage as possible.

image.png.6609e58c2715e2a4a47d67c96a3c8fd8.png

furk. I knew my hope was likely misplaced.

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I work with several people in the Ukraine.  We have stand-ups twice a week driven by a manager there.  Typically, in the midst of this, nothing is mentioned.  Today, the Ukrainian manager is unable to connect.(He is OK).  So, we had a guy in the US drive the meeting.  He asked and several others in the US asked how they were doing over there.

They are in Odessa area btw.  

The stress they are under became palpable to us this morning.  When asked how close they were to what was going, one guy replied with perfect eastern European matter-of-fact tone "It's not too close, but it doesn't matter since they have missiles that can reach this far". He did mention he has heard a couple of explosions.  Another guy ends his status with "not much else going on except war is on the doorstep".    Other things brought up were shortages and long lines.  

I have only worked with this team a short time but they are great to collaborate with.  Kind, giving, and understanding.

I felt so small when I had to ask one of them for help on something afterwards.   

It's a travesty that they have to live like this.

who at your organization has the authority to tell them they don't need to worry about fucking standup for a little bit

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

If they have the ability, they should get the fuck out of there. 

In your defense, I'm assuming you're giving them hard currency in return. That's as helpful as anything else you could do short of sponsoring them for a green card. 

It all feels very very helpless. Heck, I'm grateful to have this message board, otherwise I'd be going crazy with my own thoughts.

I know there are long lines for gas.  We are looking into options to help hopefully it will trickle up to C-level.

At this point, I just hope that the Ukraine army can use all the javelins and anti-aircraft missiles we sold them to totally fuck up Russia's world.  

Ukraine cant win, but I guarantee if Russia loses 500 real front line tanks and another 500 APC's and 300 or so aircraft it will wake them the fuck up to the fact that they will be badly miscalculating.

The way out of this is to essentially bankrupt the oligarchs that surround Putin. The way to do so is freezing assets and taking away the methods for money laundering. 
In situations like this, you dont freeze assets you confiscate them.
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, AUS-97HORN said:

At this point, I just hope that the Ukraine army can use all the javelins and anti-aircraft missiles we sold them to totally fuck up Russia's world.  

Ukraine cant win, but I guarantee if Russia loses 500 real front line tanks and another 500 APC's and 300 or so aircraft it will wake them the fuck up to the fact that they will be badly miscalculating.

sucks donkey balls the best case for the world is the worst case for Ukraine - Afganistan/Chechnya redux with mass casulties.  If Ukraine inflicts that kind of damage to Russian forces, the damage done to Ukraine will be indescribable.  fuck war. 

signaling for help now

UKRAINE PRESIDENT SAYS IF YOU EUROPEAN LEADERS DON'T HELP UKRAINE TODAY, TOMORROW THE WAR WILL KNOCK ON YOUR DOOR

i hate imperialism.  hate foreign intervention.  hate the idea of america burning money and sending troops abroad.  but goddamn somebody needs to squash this dude

3 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Thought this is particularly astute and why it's folly to think of Putin as a "madman."

This weekend, while I was reading Brendan Simms' new biography of Hitler, I came across a striking passage. Franklin Delano Roosevelt observed—in 1933 no less—that Hitler's rise was a "portent of evil," and astutely observed that his rise would lead to incommensurable conflict with the liberal West.

Hitler, he predicted, 'would in the end challenge us because his black sorcery appealed to the worst in men; it supported their hates and ridiculed their tolerances; and it could not exist permanently in the world with a system whose reliance on reason and justice was fundamental'.

FDR is pointing to a kind of fundamental irreconcilability in worldviews. It's remarkable that he describes Hitler as "evil" this early on. For FDR, "reason" appears to imply toleration, and "justice" is something that flows out of a rationally ordered society. But note that the moral argument is grounded not in Hitler's actions. Yes, by 1933, everyone knew Hitler to be a violent antisemitic thug who had managed to claw his way to the head of Germany, and who was already well on his way to completely suppressing dissent. But he hadn't yet started on his genocidal project in earnest, and few at the time could imagine that he would actually try to prosecute his murderous designs.

Instead, FDR's rebuke is grounded in first principle questions. Hitler appeals to human hatred, to division. He mocks tolerance. To write off Hitler as merely an unreasonable madman is to render his hold over the German people incomprehensible. "Black sorcery" gets at the heart of the matter much more aptly. Hitler's starting premises—his first commitments—are irreconcilable with our own. But his first commitments are also powerful appeals to real aspects of human nature. A worldview grounded in grievance, suspicion, and loathing may be hideous to contemplate, but it is coherent. And, moreover, plausible and durable.

By invoking Hitler as a parallel for current events, I know I risk falling into the reductio ad Hitleram fallacy. Let me be clear: I am not suggesting that Putinism is the new incarnation of Nazism (though at time of writing it feels ominously violent). Nor do I plan to invoke Neville Chamberlain when I criticize those that will, no doubt, continue to believe that a diplomatic solution to the current crisis is still within reach. My point is narrower, though perhaps no less grim: there is no bargaining with Putin's Russia. The sooner we understand this—and the sooner we recognize what we are up against—the better.

Not to get the thread off track, but what is being described here is both sides of the polarization of America. It's not one side. It's both sides. 

As far as Putin, the good news is that in 1933 Hitler was 44 years of age. Putin is 70. Putin has been in power since 2000, but something more akin to Hitler's power since 2012. By the equivalent time in Hitler's reign he had already subjugated Europe, and had been beaten back from his sneak attack on the Soviet Union. Normandy wouldn't occur for another year. 

It's not as much about what Putin will do. It's about empowering the forces of intolerance, fear, autocracy and repression everywhere. Especially whoever ends up succeeding Putin.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Smax said:
16 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

If possible, of course - but stopping the ability to deploy/burn the assets is equally important here IMO. Seizing a yacht hurts, freezing trading from a Russia steel company devastates. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

My dude, if there is one person in the thread who doesn’t need paragraph long explanations of the Russian and Ukrainian context, it’s me.  You should switch your tone up. 

I already made clarifications in the post. It's easy to attack their use of the term Nazi. To me it's important to add context. If it's not important to you, then so be it.

4 minutes ago, Smax said:
19 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

This is a good start:

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The more this goes on the more I think Clancy had it right. The only deterrent is probably killing/assassination of the head of state who kicks something like this off. 

I'd add targeted killings of senior administrators and oligarchs that support him. Id throw in their spouses too. I guess that makes me a war criminal, but I'd rather they all receive bullets to the back of their heads than suffer a single civilian loss in war.

Dumb question for the miltary guys.

Wherever there's footage, there tends to be a single explosion or very concentrated.

Whereas, during the invasions of Iraq, in urban areas, we had strings of explosions, shit blowing up everywhere.

Can any conclusions be drawn from that?  Are the Russians being more surgical (surely not)?  Or just less effective?

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй