Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

I think you’re safe from the draft boomer.
WW2 draft was 18-45 and the last article I read talked about how the US military estimates that around only 1/3 of the American populace that isn't already in the military would qualify and make it through a boot camp. So, if you're below the age of 45 and can pass a PFT with 6-9 weeks of training, you're in. Congrats!

6 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

They both have them. Most of Ukrainian equipment is old Russian shit. For instance, they fly SU-27's, not F-16's or Tornados. 

I was looking those up.  The BM-21 Grad MLRS isn't too far removed from Katyusha rockets, just bigger.

The 9K51 Tornado system includes guidance.  Pretty new.  I wonder if they're burning those on this.

Just now, Eastwood said:
2 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:
I think you’re safe from the draft boomer.

WW2 draft was 18-45 and the last article I read talked about how the US military estimates that around only 1/3 of the American populace that isn't already in the military would qualify and make it through a boot camp. So, if you're below the age of 45 and can pass a PFT with 6-9 weeks of training, you're in. Congrats!

Well, if he’s retiring below 45, he’s got the resources to dodge this one…

Just now, texastough said:

Might be a dumb question but what are we looking at here? Is a soccer coach flying somewhere for an interview with a new club?

I have no idea, other than my old ass got the Leroy Jenkins quote and immediately started laughing.  Just all the planes going all over the place

1 minute ago, texastough said:

Might be a dumb question but what are we looking at here? Is a soccer coach flying somewhere for an interview with a new club?

His screenshot is bad, as it is just of the preview. Someone posted the actual twitter link before, and when you clicked on it, a single Indian Air flight was over the middle of the no-fly zone.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, texastough said:

Bottom left gigantic aircraft flying INTO the airspace with no planes.

It seems like Russia bit off more than it could chew with just the Ukraine. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, dieucla98 said:

That is not even the correct flight path - likely an extrapolation while the flight goes over airspace that isn't posting data or posting slowly. Look at the actual flight path the flight took (it's already landed) and it's nothing controversial. 

image.thumb.png.7363abfba9b03be31c19682afcf75d0f.png

Yeah, was just clarifying because the screenshot of the tweet above didn't even show why it was related to the meme.

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It was posted earlier (article discussing this), but we are rationalizing with western ideals a point that we know Russia will react too irrationally (to us).  People act irrationally all the time, yet it happens and we know how to avoid or even mitigate these occurrences.  Same could be said here.  There is no excuse for the invasion, to us.  To Russia, it's a redline and something we have long known is a source of contention for them.  They just need to right set of circumstances to achieve it.  Our aims are not aligned, and we need to understand that certain actions are going to elicit certain responses.  

Once Russia had a number of EU countries on the tit, and a war-weary American was just going to bloviate, they made their move.  

Without a doubt. And yet, keeping with that mindset would have prevented countries who were long under the sway of Russia and the Soviet Union from feeling some sense of security for the first time in centuries that they could maintain their independence. Poland and the Baltic States don't have the same history as Ukraine or Belarus. But they certainly have plenty when it comes to Russia. The people in those countries have a much better quality of life vis a vis the rest of the world than when they did as members of the USSR/Soviet Bloc. 

If the US isn't prepared to protect the idea of liberalism (not in the US pejorative sense, but in the classical defense of liberty sense) then no one will. Not that the US is perfect, because it's far from it. But for a time there democracies and self representation were expanding at a prodigious rate. We're now in reverse on that front, with Ukraine being another one. 

I will say implied assurances shouldn't have been made to Ukraine. The West had no interest in truly supporting a Western style government in Ukraine if Russia invaded. You and I know that. We're not going to send American troops there in the face of a possible WWIII. Wouldn't happen this year. Wouldn't have happened 10 years ago. Wouldn't have happened at the end of the Cold War. But the people of Ukraine heard something different, whether they were wrong or not. That's the error. It's not Ukraine wanting to move towards the west, or the Western countries encouraging it. The misfire is in giving Ukrainians the impression the West would have their backs against mean old Russia if it came down to it. Because we were never going to.

That's still not a good justification in my mind for Russia's invasion. I do understand the context and why Russia/Putin is doing it. But understanding it is not the same as justifying it. And that tweet crosses that line for me. Again, blaming the victim for engaging in behavior they should be allowed to without severe consequence, only to end up on the nightly police arrest record.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, SL Xpress said:

Without a doubt. And yet, keeping with that mindset would have prevented countries who were long under the sway of Russia and the Soviet Union from feeling some sense of security for the first time in centuries that they could maintain their independence. Poland and the Baltic States don't have the same history as Ukraine or Belarus. But they certainly have plenty when it comes to Russia. The people in those countries have a much better quality of life vis a vis the rest of the world than when they did as members of the USSR/Soviet Bloc. 

If the US isn't prepared to protect the idea of liberalism (not in the US pejorative sense, but in the classical defense of liberty sense) then no one will. Not that the US is perfect, because it's far from it. But for a time there democracies and self representation were expanding at a prodigious rate. We're now in reverse on that front, with Ukraine being another one. 

I will say implied assurances shouldn't have been made to Ukraine. The West had no interest in truly supporting a Western style government in Ukraine if Russia invaded. You and I know that. We're not going to send American troops there in the face of a possible WWIII. Wouldn't happen this year. Wouldn't have happened 10 years ago. Wouldn't have happened at the end of the Cold War. But the people of Ukraine heard something different, whether they were wrong or not. That's the error. It's not Ukraine wanting to move towards the west, or the Western countries encouraging it. The misfire is in giving Ukrainians the impression the West would have their backs against mean old Russia if it came down to it. Because we were never going to.

That's still not a good justification in my mind for Russia's invasion. I do understand the context and why Russia/Putin is doing it. But understanding it is not the same as justifying it. And that tweet crosses that line for me. Again, blaming the victim for engaging in behavior they should be allowed to without severe consequence, only to end up on the nightly police arrest record.

As someone just posted, we are the super-hot, but bi-polar model that nobody can count on or wants to deal with.  

45 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Refueling tanker doing racetracks.  https://www.flightradar24.com/LAGR224/2aece855

1783981614_2022-02-2411_13_11-DesktopNotification.thumb.jpg.cc0f8bb8e02e42ccf5cbfbc7ec4c8703.jpg

I count 6 refueling planes up right now--NACHO131 & 223 and LAGER224, 223, 225, and 132.

That's obviously a whole lot of refueling capacity up.  It makes me wonder if NATO doesn't intend to impose a no-fly zone.

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I have no idea, other than my old ass got the Leroy Jenkins quote and immediately started laughing.  Just all the planes going all over the place

Putin seems like the RL from the original OnyWipe animation. Just need to find out who the equivalent of Crushim is and keep him out of the whelps.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

jesus fucking christ. everyone's a greedy asshole.

Correct.

Just now, Message Board User said:

And this, I'm sure, was part of Putin's calculus.

It was.

Belgium should be careful about pushing for carveouts.  They've had the fuck carved out of them the last two World Wars.  They should have a low appetite for the concept going forward.

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

And this, I'm sure, was part of Putin's calculus.

I agree. He had to bet that the "West" views Ukraine as inferior and second-class and business would outweigh any moral/sentiment to what is essentially Russians in Russia Jr.

Europe views Ukraine like they do Turkey. They aren't in the family and never will be.

Edited by TurkeyChew

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй